Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2022 17:52:20 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: best Also Sprach Zarathustra recordings
From: ifa...@dotsolutions.net (ifan)
 by: ifan - Sat, 29 Jan 2022 01:52 UTC

On Friday, May 2, 1997 at 1:00:00 AM UTC-6, Doctor Gonzo wrote:
> nojunkm...@earthlink.net (Michael D. Porter) wrote:
> >I am looking for an excellent recording of Richard Strauss's "Also Sprach
> >Zarathustra" on CD. Are any good recommendations?
> Depends on whether you want killer sonics or a great performance.
> Great performances: Reiner/Chicago Symphony (RCA Living Stereo, very
> good stereo sound from 1954 and gripping from the word go) or
> Kempe/Staatskapelle Dresden (EMI, multi-miked with limiters in the mix
> and heavy knob twiddling, but detailed and exciting).
> Killer sound: Mester/Pasadena Symphony (Auracle), but not a
> particularly memorable performance, also some intonation, balance and
> ensemble problems. You deserve better (see above).
> The Doc
> End Spam Now! Ask me how!
> my email address is
> >drgonzo@<
> >pipeline<
> > .com <
The Mester interests me but it seems all but impossible to find. Any idea where I might find a download of this (preferabley flac)?
Ifan

Re: best Also Sprach Zarathustra recordings

<f8063be3-82d4-4229-a3f1-22baecc9722an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=36191&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#36191

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2022 11:08:25 -0800 (PST)
From: mswdes...@gmail.com (mswd...@gmail.com)
 by: mswd...@gmail.com - Sat, 29 Jan 2022 19:08 UTC

On Friday, January 28, 2022 at 7:52:23 PM UTC-6, ifan wrote:
> On Friday, May 2, 1997 at 1:00:00 AM UTC-6, Doctor Gonzo wrote:
> > nojunkm...@earthlink.net (Michael D. Porter) wrote:
> > >I am looking for an excellent recording of Richard Strauss's "Also Sprach
> > >Zarathustra" on CD. Are any good recommendations?
> > Depends on whether you want killer sonics or a great performance.
> > Great performances: Reiner/Chicago Symphony (RCA Living Stereo, very
> > good stereo sound from 1954 and gripping from the word go) or
> > Kempe/Staatskapelle Dresden (EMI, multi-miked with limiters in the mix
> > and heavy knob twiddling, but detailed and exciting).
> > Killer sound: Mester/Pasadena Symphony (Auracle), but not a
> > particularly memorable performance, also some intonation, balance and
> > ensemble problems. You deserve better (see above).
> > The Doc
> > End Spam Now! Ask me how!
> > my email address is
> > >drgonzo@<
> > >pipeline<
> > > .com <
> The Mester interests me but it seems all but impossible to find. Any idea where I might find a download of this (preferabley flac)?
> Ifan

The recording is around 10 years old at this point, which means that streaming probably wasn't on their minds when they decided how to distribute it. It's not on Spotify, for instance.

Also, spend gonna cost ya: someone on EBay want $38 for a new CD, and there are two discs on discogs for similar prices.