People who fight fire with fire usually end up with ashes. -- Abigail Van Buren

arts / rec.music.classical.recordings / What do you do when you're bored and don't know what to listen to?

SubjectAuthor
* What do you do when you're bored and don't know what to listen to?Andy Evans
+* Re: What do you do when you're bored and don't know what to listen to?JohnGavin
|+* Re: What do you do when you're bored and don't know what to listen to?Andy Evans
||+* Re: What do you do when you're bored and don't know what to listen to?JohnGavin
|||+- Re: What do you do when you're bored and don't know what to listen to?Andy Evans
|||`- Re: What do you do when you're bored and don't know what to listen to?Todd M. McComb
||`* Re: What do you do when you're bored and don't know what to listen to?raymond....@gmail.com
|| `* Re: What do you do when you're bored and don't know what to listen to?Dan Koren
||  `* Re: What do you do when you're bored and don't know what to listen to?raymond....@gmail.com
||   `* Re: What do you do when you're bored and don't know what to listen to?Dan Koren
||    `* Re: What do you do when you're bored and don't know what to listenFrank Berger
||     `- Re: What do you do when you're bored and don't know what to listen to?sci.space
|+* Re: What do you do when you're bored and don't know what to listen to?HT
||`- Re: What do you do when you're bored and don't know what to listen to?Oscar
|`* Re: What do you do when you're bored and don't know what to listen to?Oscar
| `* Re: What do you do when you're bored and don't know what to listenFrank Berger
|  `* Re: What do you do when you're bored and don't know what to listen to?Oscar
|   `* Re: What do you do when you're bored and don't know what to listenFrank Berger
|    `* Re: What do you do when you're bored and don't know what to listen to?Oscar
|     `* Re: What do you do when you're bored and don't know what to listenFrank Berger
|      `- Re: What do you do when you're bored and don't know what to listen to?Oscar
+* Re: What do you do when you're bored and don't know what to listenChris J.
|`- Re: What do you do when you're bored and don't know what to listen to?Oscar
+- Re: What do you do when you're bored and don't know what to listen to?gggg gggg
+- Re: What do you do when you're bored and don't know what to listen to?Dan Koren
+* Re: What do you do when you're bored and don't know what to listen to?Jonathan Ben Schragadove
|`- Re: What do you do when you're bored and don't know what to listen to?Jonathan Ben Schragadove
+- Re: What do you do when you're bored and don't know what to listen to?gggg gggg
+- Re: What do you do when you're bored and don't know what to listen to?Dan Koren
+- Re: What do you do when you're bored and don't know what to listen to?Dan Koren
+* Re: What do you do when you're bored and don't know what to listen to?Néstor Castiglione
+* Re: What do you do when you're bored and don't know what to listen to?mswd...@gmail.com
|+- Re: What do you do when you're bored and don't know what to listen to?Lawrence Kart
|`- Re: What do you do when you're bored and don't know what to listenFrank Berger
+- Re: What do you do when you're bored and don't know what to listen to?gggg gggg
+- Re: What do you do when you're bored and don't know what to listen to?gggg gggg
+- Re: What do you do when you're bored and don't know what to listen to?RichD
`- Re: What do you do when you're bored and don't know what to listen to?gggg gggg

Pages:12
What do you do when you're bored and don't know what to listen to?

<51152588-ce36-4917-9f4d-05bb57d2d06an@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=36243&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#36243

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2022 02:40:41 -0800 (PST)
Subject: What do you do when you're bored and don't know what to listen to?
From: performa...@gmail.com (Andy Evans)
 by: Andy Evans - Tue, 1 Feb 2022 10:40 UTC

As title.....

You feel jaded, bored, familiar with all the stuff you usually listen to, or whatever.

For instance, do you challenge yourself with something new e.g. new music, or go for some kind of comfort music to cheer up your spirits?

Re: What do you do when you're bored and don't know what to listen to?

<45ac8ae3-a58b-4a60-a3b9-1eeb56058de2n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=36244&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#36244

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2022 03:55:29 -0800 (PST)
From: dagd...@gmail.com (JohnGavin)
 by: JohnGavin - Tue, 1 Feb 2022 11:55 UTC

On Tuesday, February 1, 2022 at 5:40:43 AM UTC-5, Andy Evans wrote:
> As title.....
>
> You feel jaded, bored, familiar with all the stuff you usually listen to, or whatever.
>
> For instance, do you challenge yourself with something new e.g. new music, or go for some kind of comfort music to cheer up your spirits?

My advice would be to stop listening to music for a while. Take 1 or 2 weeks off, or a month. Do other things - meditate, go outdoors, etc. The problem is that it’s too easy to hear recordings these days, and people listen too casually, with less concentration, and take it for granted. If a recording is really worthwhile then it deserves to be heard the same way you would hear a live concert - with uninterrupted, one-pointed concentration.

Re: What do you do when you're bored and don't know what to listen to?

<fb72ea60-343b-47f5-bac1-0f775e57e7b0n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=36245&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#36245

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2022 04:03:04 -0800 (PST)
From: performa...@gmail.com (Andy Evans)
 by: Andy Evans - Tue, 1 Feb 2022 12:03 UTC

On Tuesday, 1 February 2022 at 11:55:31 UTC, JohnGavin wrote:
> My advice would be to stop listening to music for a while. Take 1 or 2 weeks off, or a month. Do other things - meditate, go outdoors, etc. The problem is that it’s too easy to hear recordings these days, and people listen too casually, with less concentration, and take it for granted. If a recording is really worthwhile then it deserves to be heard the same way you would hear a live concert - with uninterrupted, one-pointed concentration.>>

I almost never listen to a recording without doing something else - usually working at my computer or in my workshop. So it's all casual listening, if you like. Probably why I tend to put on jazz instead. I don't even have a proper "listening chair" in my room.

Re: What do you do when you're bored and don't know what to listen to?

<2Q9KJ.428468$ajC1.93420@fx05.ams4>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=36246&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#36246

From: chrisjoh...@mailservice.invalid (Chris J.)
Subject: Re: What do you do when you're bored and don't know what to listen
to?
Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2022 12:37:18 GMT
 by: Chris J. - Tue, 1 Feb 2022 12:37 UTC

On 01 Feb 2022 Andy Evans wrote:

> As title.....
>
> You feel jaded, bored, familiar with all the stuff you usually listen
> to, or whatever.
>
> For instance, do you challenge yourself with something new e.g. new
> music, or go for some kind of comfort music to cheer up your spirits?

There is always my good friend Johann S. Bach.

Chris

Re: What do you do when you're bored and don't know what to listen to?

<bde2bbb4-7726-4e86-ba4e-24efdddf53cfn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=36247&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#36247

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2022 04:39:36 -0800 (PST)
From: dagd...@gmail.com (JohnGavin)
 by: JohnGavin - Tue, 1 Feb 2022 12:39 UTC

On Tuesday, February 1, 2022 at 7:03:07 AM UTC-5, Andy Evans wrote:
> On Tuesday, 1 February 2022 at 11:55:31 UTC, JohnGavin wrote:
> > My advice would be to stop listening to music for a while. Take 1 or 2 weeks off, or a month. Do other things - meditate, go outdoors, etc. The problem is that it’s too easy to hear recordings these days, and people listen too casually, with less concentration, and take it for granted. If a recording is really worthwhile then it deserves to be heard the same way you would hear a live concert - with uninterrupted, one-pointed concentration.>>
> I almost never listen to a recording without doing something else - usually working at my computer or in my workshop. So it's all casual listening, if you like. Probably why I tend to put on jazz instead. I don't even have a proper "listening chair" in my room.

It’s a very common human tendency - we’re all guilty of it I’m sure. What happens is that we unconsciously build a habit of weakened attention or non-attention by listening this way. Add to that the omnipresence of music in supermarkets and shopping malls. We become weakened or diluted in our ability to fully appreciate what we hear, and then we can’t seem to derive satisfaction from it. When recordings were becoming commercial Rachmaninoff warned that the listener didn’t have to sweat the way the performer who was recorded did. A very prescient observation coming from a master of discipline and concentration.

So just as fasting is one of the best tools for regaining health for some who haven’t followed a good diet, time away from sounds works for regaining acuteness in music appreciation, provided that you then change to more careful ways of listening afterwards.

Re: What do you do when you're bored and don't know what to listen to?

<415cd794-e347-41ce-85dc-7659409a648cn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=36248&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#36248

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2022 05:35:08 -0800 (PST)
From: performa...@gmail.com (Andy Evans)
 by: Andy Evans - Tue, 1 Feb 2022 13:35 UTC

On Tuesday, 1 February 2022 at 12:39:39 UTC, JohnGavin wrote:
> So just as fasting is one of the best tools for regaining health for some who haven’t followed a good diet, time away from sounds works for regaining acuteness in music appreciation, provided that you then change to more careful ways of listening afterwards.>

Very interesting point of view, and I can see its strengths. I do, in fact, love silence and a lot of the day is silent, but I don't feel I need to have a whole period of silence on its own. I also feel I don't need "careful" listening really. I'm a musician and music for me is kind of a utility - something I do, like driving a car. I spend a lot of time working on songs and arrangements in software. So a lot of the music I listen to is singer-songwriters or other vocal music which I listen to for ideas about new directions and to check what's happening. So I'll check BPM frequently since one is always trying to set the right tempo for what one writes. I go to the keyboard and play through harmonies that are interesting. Sometimes I look up a score online for a particularly interesting chord progression.

Almost all my live music background is being onstage rather than going to a concert, so I don't really think like a concert goer.

Re: What do you do when you're bored and don't know what to listen to?

<2ae7b1c9-3603-4382-8d06-aad9f4224a6dn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=36249&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#36249

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2022 07:35:58 -0800 (PST)
From: hvtu...@xs4all.nl (HT)
 by: HT - Tue, 1 Feb 2022 15:35 UTC

Op dinsdag 1 februari 2022 om 12:55:31 UTC+1 schreef JohnGavin:
> On Tuesday, February 1, 2022 at 5:40:43 AM UTC-5, Andy Evans wrote:
> > As title.....
> >
> > You feel jaded, bored, familiar with all the stuff you usually listen to, or whatever.
> >
> > For instance, do you challenge yourself with something new e.g. new music, or go for some kind of comfort music to cheer up your spirits?

> My advice would be to stop listening to music for a while. Take 1 or 2 weeks off, or a month. Do other things - meditate, go outdoors, etc. The problem is that it’s too easy to hear recordings these days, and people listen too casually, with less concentration, and take it for granted. If a recording is really worthwhile then it deserves to be heard the same way you would hear a live concert - with uninterrupted, one-pointed concentration.

The standard remedy in my case, is to go back to the days of Cherkassky, Fischer, Friedman, Godowsky, Haskil, etc. - when music was still allowed to breathe and music making was still an art instead of a craft.

When this doesn't help, there is a miracle cure: the Schubert symphonies by Furtwangler and his contemporaries.

Henk

Re: What do you do when you're bored and don't know what to listen to?

<stbsno$4af$1@hope.eyrie.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=36252&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#36252

From: mcc...@medieval.org (Todd M. McComb)
Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2022 18:04:40 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: todd@pangkur.medieval.org (Todd M. McComb)
 by: Todd M. McComb - Tue, 1 Feb 2022 18:04 UTC

In article <bde2bbb4-7726-4e86-ba4e-24efdddf53cfn@googlegroups.com>,
JohnGavin <dagdern@gmail.com> wrote:
>What happens is that we unconsciously build a habit of weakened
>attention or non-attention by listening this way.

Totally a danger. I'm sure I'm not the only one here who constantly
has people clamoring "hear my stuff!" Or various other repertory
that I just want to keep up with for my own reasons, etc. A lot
of that means some very cursory listening... not really by design,
but that's the practical outcome. A lot of stuff I'm not sure is
of much value, in other words. (I mean, I hear new albums of new
music pretty much every day, sometimes several in a row.... And
there would be more.)

So I've developed little tricks to modulate attention, etc. But
it's a basic issue.

One quip I got from someone years ago now, and I remind myself
regularly, is this: You can't hear music for the first time a
second time. I mean, I can go back and listen a second time if I
think it's worth it, but I've already messed with the experience
if I was inattentive....

Re: What do you do when you're bored and don't know what to listen to?

<912d7e93-8c57-4abf-a70e-e47be1c9d83fn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=36258&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#36258

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2022 15:52:57 -0800 (PST)
From: raymond....@gmail.com (raymond....@gmail.com)
 by: raymond....@gmail.co - Tue, 1 Feb 2022 23:52 UTC

On Tuesday, 1 February 2022 at 23:03:07 UTC+11, Andy Evans wrote:
> On Tuesday, 1 February 2022 at 11:55:31 UTC, JohnGavin wrote:
> > My advice would be to stop listening to music for a while. Take 1 or 2 weeks off, or a month. Do other things -
> meditate, go outdoors, etc. The problem is that it’s too easy to hear recordings these days, and people listen too m.

I will often turn to jazz if found pondering what to play, but then it isn't always classical for me that I will turn from, or even music, especially when reading. I do not saturate myself with the same music over time as I used to. Sometimes I will turn to classical as a restorative, from folk, flamenco, or rock. If held at gunpoint I'd have to opt for classical, but there is a lot of quality to be found in other genres.

I rarely listen to any classical music prior to late Bruckner, except for Bach, or very early music. My tastes in classical have culminated in a love for the Russians, Baltic, and/or East European composers anyway. Then Spanish, Brit or French.

As you get older, birds also provide a wonderful listening experience, at least for me. Maybe like Messiaen felt, they really are a phenomenal listening experience. But you have to learn to be receptive to their song.

Ray Hall, Taree

Re: What do you do when you're bored and don't know what to listen to?

<5067c692-b0dc-4fb9-ab27-03de7d7b4c53n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=36263&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#36263

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2022 18:36:21 -0800 (PST)
From: ggggg9...@gmail.com (gggg gggg)
 by: gggg gggg - Wed, 2 Feb 2022 02:36 UTC

On Tuesday, February 1, 2022 at 2:40:43 AM UTC-8, Andy Evans wrote:
> As title.....
>
> You feel jaded, bored, familiar with all the stuff you usually listen to, or whatever.
>
> For instance, do you challenge yourself with something new e.g. new music, or go for some kind of comfort music to cheer up your spirits?

(Y. upload):

"Anti boredom intense music playlist"

Re: What do you do when you're bored and don't know what to listen to?

<a32591f2-8086-46d4-8d9c-24af2b4583c1n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=36264&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#36264

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2022 20:14:44 -0800 (PST)
From: dan.ko...@gmail.com (Dan Koren)
 by: Dan Koren - Wed, 2 Feb 2022 04:14 UTC

On Tuesday, February 1, 2022 at 5:40:43 AM UTC-5, Andy Evans wrote:
> As title.....
>
> You feel jaded, bored, familiar with all the
> stuff you usually listen to, or whatever.
>
> For instance, do you challenge yourself
> with something new e.g. new music, or
> go for some kind of comfort music to
> cheer up your spirits?

I do not get bored often, however when I
do I plan to compose a quartet for guitar.

dk

Re: What do you do when you're bored and don't know what to listen to?

<2f126494-363f-46a0-9f2c-dc3cc86717c0n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=36265&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#36265

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2022 20:16:54 -0800 (PST)
From: dan.ko...@gmail.com (Dan Koren)
 by: Dan Koren - Wed, 2 Feb 2022 04:16 UTC

On Tuesday, February 1, 2022 at 6:53:00 PM UTC-5, raymond....@gmail.com wrote:

> I rarely listen to any classical music prior to
> late Bruckner, except for Bach, or very early
> music. My tastes in classical have culminated
> in a love for the Russians, Baltic, and/or East
> European composers anyway. Then Spanish,
> Brit or French.

Brit? As in "Brit Mila"?

dk

Re: What do you do when you're bored and don't know what to listen to?

<76b7eba7-6b1d-42ce-bc01-ad920a94e9d2n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=36269&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#36269

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2022 21:46:51 -0800 (PST)
From: raymond....@gmail.com (raymond....@gmail.com)
 by: raymond....@gmail.co - Wed, 2 Feb 2022 05:46 UTC

On Wednesday, 2 February 2022 at 15:16:56 UTC+11, dan....gmail.com wrote:
> On Tuesday, February 1, 2022 at 6:53:00 PM UTC-5, raymond....gmail.com wrote:
> >
> > I rarely listen to any classical music prior to
> > late Bruckner, except for Bach, or very early
> > music. My tastes in classical have culminated
> > in a love for the Russians, Baltic, and/or East
> > European composers anyway. Then Spanish,
> > Brit or French.
> >
> Brit? As in "Brit Mila"?
>
> dk

Never heard of her. Britt Ekland yes.

Ray Hall, Taree

Re: What do you do when you're bored and don't know what to listen to?

<efd29ced-61d0-434d-8001-972c4def49a3n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=36270&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#36270

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2022 00:19:29 -0800 (PST)
From: dan.ko...@gmail.com (Dan Koren)
 by: Dan Koren - Wed, 2 Feb 2022 08:19 UTC

On Wednesday, February 2, 2022 at 12:46:53 AM UTC-5, raymond....@gmail.com wrote:
> On Wednesday, 2 February 2022 at 15:16:56 UTC+11, dan....gmail.com wrote:
> > On Tuesday, February 1, 2022 at 6:53:00 PM UTC-5, raymond....gmail.com wrote:
> > >
> > > I rarely listen to any classical music prior to
> > > late Bruckner, except for Bach, or very early
> > > music. My tastes in classical have culminated
> > > in a love for the Russians, Baltic, and/or East
> > > European composers anyway. Then Spanish,
> > > Brit or French.
> > >
> > Brit? As in "Brit Mila"?
>
> Never heard of her. Britt Ekland yes.

Ask Frank .....

dk

Re: What do you do when you're bored and don't know what to listen to?

<FJ-dnfRlRYWs4Wf8nZ2dnUU7-XGdnZ2d@supernews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=36271&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#36271

Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2022 07:42:25 -0500
to?
Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
From: frankdbe...@gmail.com (Frank Berger)
 by: Frank Berger - Wed, 2 Feb 2022 12:42 UTC

On 2/2/2022 3:19 AM, Dan Koren wrote:
> On Wednesday, February 2, 2022 at 12:46:53 AM UTC-5, raymond....@gmail.com wrote:

>>> Brit? As in "Brit Mila"?
>>
>> Never heard of her. Britt Ekland yes.
>>

> Ask Frank .....
>
> dk

I'm Ashkenaz. It's Bris. But my first date was with Ruth Eckland.

Re: What do you do when you're bored and don't know what to listen to?

<a7b82bb6-3c18-41c4-a2b8-2aed973e7535n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=36273&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#36273

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2022 05:48:14 -0800 (PST)
From: harrison...@gmail.com (sci.space)
 by: sci.space - Wed, 2 Feb 2022 13:48 UTC

I grab one of my recorders and begin playing. Nothing like truly immersing yourself in music to dispel boredom. I get to choose which era of music to play from Middle Ages to 21st century. There is a bit of a repertoire gap from about 1800 to the mid 1900s though.

Re: What do you do when you're bored and don't know what to listen to?

<9f546ba5-ca28-42ce-89c8-6170e480a345n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=36278&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#36278

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2022 10:17:06 -0800 (PST)
From: ybschrag...@gmail.com (Jonathan Ben Schragadove)
 by: Jonathan Ben Schraga - Wed, 2 Feb 2022 18:17 UTC

On Tuesday, February 1, 2022 at 2:40:43 AM UTC-8, Andy Evans wrote:
> As title.....
>
> You feel jaded, bored, familiar with all the stuff you usually listen to, or whatever.
>
> For instance, do you challenge yourself with something new e.g. new music, or go for some kind of comfort music to cheer up your spirits?
I nice change of pace for me includes the Bolling Jazz Suites for Flute, Kapustin's piano music (solo and concertos), and Tsfasman (Suite for Piano & Orchestra) to lighten up the mood!

Re: What do you do when you're bored and don't know what to listen to?

<fc6538de-0ef2-433b-a0c8-842b9498dd28n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=37002&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#37002

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2022 13:55:23 -0800 (PST)
From: ggggg9...@gmail.com (gggg gggg)
 by: gggg gggg - Thu, 24 Feb 2022 21:55 UTC

On Tuesday, February 1, 2022 at 2:40:43 AM UTC-8, Andy Evans wrote:
> As title.....
>
> You feel jaded, bored, familiar with all the stuff you usually listen to, or whatever.
>
> For instance, do you challenge yourself with something new e.g. new music, or go for some kind of comfort music to cheer up your spirits?

(Recent Y. upload):

Maria Müller; "Feldeinsamkeit"; Johannes Brahms

Re: What do you do when you're bored and don't know what to listen to?

<8869e3d0-3f0c-4c73-9d45-9c1e8a623b4dn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=37014&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#37014

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2022 20:13:51 -0800 (PST)
From: dan.ko...@gmail.com (Dan Koren)
 by: Dan Koren - Fri, 25 Feb 2022 04:13 UTC

On Tuesday, February 1, 2022 at 5:40:43 AM UTC-5, Andy Evans wrote:
> As title.....
>
> You feel jaded, bored, familiar with all the
> stuff you usually listen to, or whatever.

Jazz. As mentioned earlier, the engine of my
Audi has been modified to run on jazzolene,
a remewable clean energy fuel I patented. It
is made by mixing one part Evans, one part
Garner, one part Peterson, 2 parts Talisker!
For Diesel engines I use Lagavulin instead.
For Rolls Royce engines I use Springbank.

dk

Re: What do you do when you're bored and don't know what to listen to?

<ed707bc6-9c19-4075-8843-de43c76ca6aan@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=37016&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#37016

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2022 20:30:55 -0800 (PST)
From: dan.ko...@gmail.com (Dan Koren)
 by: Dan Koren - Fri, 25 Feb 2022 04:30 UTC

On Tuesday, February 1, 2022 at 5:40:43 AM UTC-5, Andy Evans wrote:
> As title.....
>
> You feel jaded, bored, familiar with all the
> stuff you usually listen to, or whatever.

Jazz. As mentioned earlier, the engine of my
Audi has been modified to run on jazzolene,
a highly efficient, non-polluting, renewable
clean energy fuel I patented. It is made by
mixing one part Evans, one part Garner,
one part Peterson, and 2 parts Talisker!

For Diesel engines I use Lagavulin instead.
For Rolls Royce engines I use Springbank.

dk

Re: What do you do when you're bored and don't know what to listen to?

<9bebbd9c-9701-47a7-ab68-08c477dabc92n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=37146&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#37146

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2022 12:57:50 -0800 (PST)
From: ybschrag...@gmail.com (Jonathan Ben Schragadove)
 by: Jonathan Ben Schraga - Sun, 27 Feb 2022 20:57 UTC

On Wednesday, February 2, 2022 at 10:17:08 AM UTC-8, Jonathan Ben Schragadove wrote:
> On Tuesday, February 1, 2022 at 2:40:43 AM UTC-8, Andy Evans wrote:
> > As title.....
> >
> > You feel jaded, bored, familiar with all the stuff you usually listen to, or whatever.
> >
> > For instance, do you challenge yourself with something new e.g. new music, or go for some kind of comfort music to cheer up your spirits?
> I nice change of pace for me includes the Bolling Jazz Suites for Flute, Kapustin's piano music (solo and concertos), and Tsfasman (Suite for Piano & Orchestra) to lighten up the mood!

....and throw in some Poulenc as well as Jean Françaix...

By the way, any thoughts/suggestions regarding more Bolling besides the flute suites?

Re: What do you do when you're bored and don't know what to listen to?

<76cdae9c-fe5a-47a6-bad8-e1d4a1435409n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=37152&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#37152

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2022 14:58:30 -0800 (PST)
From: castigli...@gmail.com (Néstor Castiglione)
 by: Néstor Castiglione - Sun, 27 Feb 2022 22:58 UTC

On Tuesday, February 1, 2022 at 2:40:43 AM UTC-8, Andy Evans wrote:
> As title.....
>
> You feel jaded, bored, familiar with all the stuff you usually listen to, or whatever.
>
> For instance, do you challenge yourself with something new e.g. new music, or go for some kind of comfort music to cheer up your spirits?

I don't think I ever feel bored with my musical choices. Within the panoply of styles and genres that loosely comprise my "classical" collection, there's plenty to keep me busy pretty much until my final breath. (Hopefully arriving MUCH later than sooner, please!) Often I'll go through days or weeks-long obsessions with a particular work, composer, performer, etc. Those alone keep me from being bored.

If I'm not feeling anything classical, I have a lot of other genres to draw upon. I'm a big collector of Japanese prewar popular music: mostly swing, tangos, "blues" (the Japanese version shares little with the American one aside from the name), and shin min'yō (sort of Westernized Japanese folk music). I also have large collections of Latin American pop music from the 1950s–1980s (for sentimental reasons as I grew up hearing it), easy-listening instrumentals, free jazz from the 1960s, experimental music, private-press new age music, and 1980s J-pop (or "city pop" as it's anachronistically referred to now).

Re: What do you do when you're bored and don't know what to listen to?

<73d6110e-4bde-4f91-a8a2-96ce218002fen@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=37157&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#37157

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2022 17:39:38 -0800 (PST)
From: ggggg9...@gmail.com (gggg gggg)
 by: gggg gggg - Mon, 28 Feb 2022 01:39 UTC

On Tuesday, February 1, 2022 at 2:40:43 AM UTC-8, Andy Evans wrote:
> As title.....
>
> You feel jaded, bored, familiar with all the stuff you usually listen to, or whatever.
>
> For instance, do you challenge yourself with something new e.g. new music, or go for some kind of comfort music to cheer up your spirits?

https://giphy.com/gifs/im-so-bored-KdqTdT1Nfcydy

Re: What do you do when you're bored and don't know what to listen to?

<535d16c1-bdf6-4b78-8b3f-199350fa1691n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=37422&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#37422

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2022 00:33:02 -0800 (PST)
From: ggggg9...@gmail.com (gggg gggg)
 by: gggg gggg - Thu, 3 Mar 2022 08:33 UTC

On Tuesday, February 1, 2022 at 12:40:43 AM UTC-10, Andy Evans wrote:
> As title.....
>
> You feel jaded, bored, familiar with all the stuff you usually listen to, or whatever.
>
> For instance, do you challenge yourself with something new e.g. new music, or go for some kind of comfort music to cheer up your spirits?

https://groups.google.com/g/rec.music.classical.recordings/c/qhGagT8pKAY/m/dGI--B58AwAJ

Re: What do you do when you're bored and don't know what to listen to?

<1a9ecab7-c156-4dd8-a1b7-db91e47a50cen@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=37464&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#37464

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2022 17:25:07 -0800 (PST)
From: ggggg9...@gmail.com (gggg gggg)
 by: gggg gggg - Sat, 5 Mar 2022 01:25 UTC

On Sunday, February 27, 2022 at 2:58:33 PM UTC-8, Néstor Castiglione wrote:
> On Tuesday, February 1, 2022 at 2:40:43 AM UTC-8, Andy Evans wrote:
> > As title.....
> >
> > You feel jaded, bored, familiar with all the stuff you usually listen to, or whatever.
> >
> > For instance, do you challenge yourself with something new e.g. new music, or go for some kind of comfort music to cheer up your spirits?
> I don't think I ever feel bored with my musical choices. Within the panoply of styles and genres that loosely comprise my "classical" collection, there's plenty to keep me busy pretty much until my final breath. (Hopefully arriving MUCH later than sooner, please!) Often I'll go through days or weeks-long obsessions with a particular work, composer, performer, etc. Those alone keep me from being bored.
>
> If I'm not feeling anything classical, I have a lot of other genres to draw upon. I'm a big collector of Japanese prewar popular music: mostly swing, tangos, "blues" (the Japanese version shares little with the American one aside from the name), and shin min'yō (sort of Westernized Japanese folk music). I also have large collections of Latin American pop music from the 1950s–1980s (for sentimental reasons as I grew up hearing it), easy-listening instrumentals, free jazz from the 1960s, experimental music, private-press new age music, and 1980s J-pop (or "city pop" as it's anachronistically referred to now).

Do you read Japanese?

Concerning Japanese prewar popular music, any Youtube recommendations?