Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2022 10:56:58 -0500
Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
From: frankdbe...@gmail.com (Frank Berger)
Subject: Happy Birthday Felix Mendelssohn
 by: Frank Berger - Thu, 3 Feb 2022 15:56 UTC

Listened to a version of the Octet on the radio - Shaham/Seong Soloists. Reminded me of the Heifetz version. Interesting discussion of Mendelssohn, the Octet and selected recordings here:

http://www.classicalnotes.net/classics4/octet.html

Re: Happy Birthday Felix Mendelssohn

<QhUKJ.570868$psO1.10939@fx03.ams4>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=36304&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#36304

From: chrisjoh...@mailservice.invalid (Chris J.)
Subject: Re: Happy Birthday Felix Mendelssohn
Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2022 17:29:20 GMT
 by: Chris J. - Thu, 3 Feb 2022 17:29 UTC

On 03 Feb 2022 Frank Berger wrote:

> Listened to a version of the Octet on the radio - Shaham/Seong Soloists.
> Reminded me of the Heifetz version.

Huge birthday session planned for tonight:

String quintets, L'Archibudelli (Sony)
Piano trios, Hamlet Piano Trio (Channel Classics)
Elias (Elijah), Capella Weilburgensis and others/Doris Hagel (Profil)

Chris

Re: Happy Birthday Felix Mendelssohn

<89GdnT_d-dBMv2H8nZ2dnUU7-e_NnZ2d@supernews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=36306&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#36306

Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2022 13:45:37 -0500
Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
From: frankdbe...@gmail.com (Frank Berger)
 by: Frank Berger - Thu, 3 Feb 2022 18:45 UTC

On 2/3/2022 1:01 PM, Ricardo Jimenez wrote:
> On Thu, 03 Feb 2022 17:29:20 GMT, "Chris J."
> <chrisjohansen@mailservice.invalid> wrote:
>
>> On 03 Feb 2022 Frank Berger wrote:
>>
>>> Listened to a version of the Octet on the radio - Shaham/Seong Soloists.
>>> Reminded me of the Heifetz version.
>>
>> Huge birthday session planned for tonight:
>>
>> String quintets, L'Archibudelli (Sony)
>> Piano trios, Hamlet Piano Trio (Channel Classics)
>> Elias (Elijah), Capella Weilburgensis and others/Doris Hagel (Profil)
>>
>> Chris
>>

> I haven't heard a recording of Elias/Elijah that transported me to
> heaven. The most recent one on Spotify, I think, is from 2020
> conducted by Peter Gortner. I'll try it but does anybody have a
> favorite that generates excitement rather boredom with Victorian
> kitch?

I don't know the work, but maybe it's uninspired because Mendelssohn himself was. From what I've read the Mendelssohn family was not all that spiritual in either of their religions. I don't know if Elijah is written from a Jewish or Christian perspective (or if it matters all that much), but if Mendelssohn didn't feel it, maybe that carries over to the music.

(Ducking for cover).