From: pep...@comcast.net (Ed Presson)
Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Subject: EMI Britten box of Orchestral Works
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2022 09:50:47 -0800
 by: Ed Presson - Mon, 31 Jan 2022 17:50 UTC

Benjamin Britten Orchestral Works, EMI 9 78160 8 CDs
Various recordings from EMI and Virgin catalogs.

The notes on the box brag about the
"evocative Four Sea Interludes, the powerful and majestic Sinfonia da
Requiem,
the virtuosic Young Person's Guide to the Orchestra and..."

These three works are on CD 1 in performances conducted by Libor Pesek and
the Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra. Alas, these are the weakest
performances I've heard: no atmosphere, no thrust, no evocation of the
awesome power of the seas in the Interludes, no sense of fun in the Guide,
and
a wimpy version of the Sinfonia.

Most people will already have these works, so it is good that the remainder
of the works are in good to excellent performances. I won't list the
contents
of the box, but note that it includes Oliver Knussen's recording of
"Prince of the Pagodas".

A bargain, then, except for CD 1.

Ed Presson

Re: EMI Britten box of Orchestral Works

<832ea315-32b3-4131-867e-40cfabd790c6n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=36279&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#36279

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2022 10:26:15 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: EMI Britten box of Orchestral Works
From: ybschrag...@gmail.com (Jonathan Ben Schragadove)
 by: Jonathan Ben Schraga - Wed, 2 Feb 2022 18:26 UTC

On Monday, January 31, 2022 at 9:50:53 AM UTC-8, Ed Presson wrote:
> Benjamin Britten Orchestral Works, EMI 9 78160 8 CDs
> Various recordings from EMI and Virgin catalogs.
>
> The notes on the box brag about the
> "evocative Four Sea Interludes, the powerful and majestic Sinfonia da
> Requiem,
> the virtuosic Young Person's Guide to the Orchestra and..."
>
> These three works are on CD 1 in performances conducted by Libor Pesek and
> the Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra. Alas, these are the weakest
> performances I've heard: no atmosphere, no thrust, no evocation of the
> awesome power of the seas in the Interludes, no sense of fun in the Guide,
> and
> a wimpy version of the Sinfonia.
>
> Most people will already have these works, so it is good that the remainder
> of the works are in good to excellent performances. I won't list the
> contents
> of the box, but note that it includes Oliver Knussen's recording of
> "Prince of the Pagodas".
>
> A bargain, then, except for CD 1.
>
> Ed Presson

Was just looking at this box the other day! What recommendations do you have for the Interludes? I was just listening to the 1978 Colin Davis in a very good sounding LP transfer here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXVsHAGZL6s

Re: EMI Britten box of Orchestral Works

<steo32$13br$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=36283&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#36283

From: pep...@comcast.net (Ed Presson)
Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2022 12:03:44 -0800
 by: Ed Presson - Wed, 2 Feb 2022 20:03 UTC

"Jonathan Ben Schragadove" wrote in message

On Monday, January 31, 2022 at 9:50:53 AM UTC-8, Ed Presson wrote:
> Benjamin Britten Orchestral Works, EMI 9 78160 8 CDs
> Various recordings from EMI and Virgin catalogs.
>
> The notes on the box brag about the
> "evocative Four Sea Interludes, the powerful and majestic Sinfonia da
> Requiem,
> the virtuosic Young Person's Guide to the Orchestra and..."
>
> These three works are on CD 1 in performances conducted by Libor Pesek and
> the Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra. Alas, these are the weakest
> performances I've heard: no atmosphere, no thrust, no evocation of the
> awesome power of the seas in the Interludes, no sense of fun in the Guide,
> and
> a wimpy version of the Sinfonia.
>
> Most people will already have these works, so it is good that the
> remainder
> of the works are in good to excellent performances. I won't list the
> contents
> of the box, but note that it includes Oliver Knussen's recording of
> "Prince of the Pagodas".
>
> A bargain, then, except for CD 1.
>
> Ed Presson

>Was just looking at this box the other day! What recommendations do you
>have for the Interludes? I was just listening to the 1978 Colin Davis in a
>very good sounding LP transfer here:
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXVsHAGZL6s

My current favorite is Andrew Davis on Teldec (I think reissued more cheaply
on a Warner label). All the performances are excellent and in top-notch
sound.

Ed Presson

Re: EMI Britten box of Orchestral Works

<25b33c1d-e1e3-4cc8-a0af-7b5721a04884n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=36298&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#36298

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2022 05:07:41 -0800 (PST)
From: harrison...@gmail.com (sci.space)
 by: sci.space - Thu, 3 Feb 2022 13:07 UTC

On

> >Was just looking at this box the other day! What recommendations do you
> >have for the Interludes? I was just listening to the 1978 Colin Davis in a
> >very good sounding LP transfer here:
> >https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXVsHAGZL6s
> My current favorite is Andrew Davis on Teldec (I think reissued more cheaply
> on a Warner label). All the performances are excellent and in top-notch
> sound.
>
> Ed Presson

My favorite is the Giulini/Philharrmonia LP. It has the added advantage of a Turner painting, Rough Seas. on the cover. US Angel release, should have been available to EMI.

Re: EMI Britten box of Orchestral Works

<noKdnV9MuNbiamb8nZ2dnUU7-aHNnZ2d@supernews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=36301&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#36301

Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2022 10:40:47 -0500
Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
From: frankdbe...@gmail.com (Frank Berger)
 by: Frank Berger - Thu, 3 Feb 2022 15:40 UTC

On 2/3/2022 8:07 AM, sci.space wrote:
> On
>>
>>> Was just looking at this box the other day! What recommendations do you
>>> have for the Interludes? I was just listening to the 1978 Colin Davis in a
>>> very good sounding LP transfer here:
>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXVsHAGZL6s
>> My current favorite is Andrew Davis on Teldec (I think reissued more cheaply
>> on a Warner label). All the performances are excellent and in top-notch
>> sound.
>>
>> Ed Presson
>
> My favorite is the Giulini/Philharrmonia LP. It has the added advantage of a Turner painting, Rough Seas. on the cover. US Angel release, should have been available to EMI.

It was. Released twice. Once on the Giulini Artist Profile set and also by Warner in the "London Years" Giulini set. No sign of the Turner painting, though.

Re: EMI Britten box of Orchestral Works

<sti6nj$ukd$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=36312&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#36312

From: pep...@comcast.net (Ed Presson)
Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2022 19:32:00 -0800
 by: Ed Presson - Fri, 4 Feb 2022 03:32 UTC

"sci.space" wrote in message

On

> >Was just looking at this box the other day! What recommendations do you
> >have for the Interludes? I was just listening to the 1978 Colin Davis in
> >very good sounding LP transfer here:
> >https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXVsHAGZL6s
> My current favorite is Andrew Davis on Teldec (I think reissued more
> cheaply
> on a Warner label). All the performances are excellent and in top-notch
> sound.
>
> Ed Presson

>My favorite is the Giulini/Philharrmonia LP. It has the added advantage of
>a Turner painting, Rough Seas. on the cover. US Angel release, should have
>been available to EMI

I agree. Both Giulini and Previn would have been better choices for the
Britten box than the one they chose.