A boss with no humor is like a job that's no fun.

arts / rec.arts.movies.past-films / Re: These Kids Today

SubjectAuthor
* Re: These Kids TodayBill Anderson
`* Re: These Kids TodayBill Anderson
 `* Re: These Kids TodaymoviePig
  `- Re: These Kids Todaywlah...@gmail.com

1
Re: These Kids Today

<rfKcnXll5f26KUP-nZ2dnZfqlJ9j4p2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=3689&group=rec.arts.movies.past-films#3689

Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.past-films
Subject: Re: These Kids Today
From: billande...@my-deja.com (Bill Anderson)
Date: Sat, 04 Feb 2023 19:38:15 +0000
 by: Bill Anderson - Sat, 4 Feb 2023 19:38 UTC

Bill Anderson <billanderson@my-deja.com> wrote:
> Time passes. New generations come along. Last night I was visited by a
> 17-year-old and we were looking for a movie to watch and I asked, “have you
> ever seen THE SIXTH SENSE?”
>
> No.
>
> Seriously? The one about the kid who says, “I see dead people?”
>
> Never heard of it.
>
> So we watched and he was suckered and I was treated to a look of genuine
> astonishment on his face at the end.
>
> You mean…?
>
> Yeah, practically the whole time.
>
> “That was a great movie!”
>
> Growing old is generally proving to be a pain, but it appears that
> occasionally there’s fun to be had.

Today we notched another classic film in the kid’s movie education. I
ignored all the advice and chose SINGIN’ IN THE RAIN because it’s a link to
the silent movie we saw last time. I was relieved that he really liked it.
He kept mentioning that he really liked Donald O’Connor and I commented
that he played the Scarecrow.

“In Batman?”

“Hahahaha no.”

And of course he immediately figured it out. When it was over he was
smiling ear to ear and commented that it was a really good movie. He said
he didn’t realize that musicals could be that good. “I mean HIGH SCHOOL
MUSICAL wasn’t nearly that good.” He definitely got that right.

I love the movie too in spite of the “Broadway Melody/Gotta Dance”
production number which I have always thought grinds the movie to a halt.
My guess is that they wanted an elaborate showpiece for Gene Kelly and Cyd
Charisse and they just shoehorned it into the movie. It’s pretty and the
music and dancing are almost entertaining, but it just does not belong in
this movie. I think. The kid said he enjoyed it, so there is that.

I think we have agreed the next one will be 1933 King Kong. I can’t wait to
see it again. Might even get to it this afternoon.

--
Bill Anderson

I am the Mighty Favog

Re: These Kids Today

<U8Wdncw6uuL_J0P-nZ2dnZfqlJxh4p2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=3690&group=rec.arts.movies.past-films#3690

Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.past-films
From: billande...@my-deja.com (Bill Anderson)
Date: Sat, 04 Feb 2023 20:04:50 +0000
 by: Bill Anderson - Sat, 4 Feb 2023 20:04 UTC

Bill Anderson <billanderson@my-deja.com> wrote:
> Bill Anderson <billanderson@my-deja.com> wrote:
>> Time passes. New generations come along. Last night I was visited by a
>> 17-year-old and we were looking for a movie to watch and I asked, “have you
>> ever seen THE SIXTH SENSE?”
>>
>> No.
>>
>> Seriously? The one about the kid who says, “I see dead people?”
>>
>> Never heard of it.
>>
>> So we watched and he was suckered and I was treated to a look of genuine
>> astonishment on his face at the end.
>>
>> You mean…?
>>
>> Yeah, practically the whole time.
>>
>> “That was a great movie!”
>>
>> Growing old is generally proving to be a pain, but it appears that
>> occasionally there’s fun to be had.
>>

> Today we notched another classic film in the kid’s movie education. I
> ignored all the advice and chose SINGIN’ IN THE RAIN because it’s a link to
> the silent movie we saw last time. I was relieved that he really liked it.
> He kept mentioning that he really liked Donald O’Connor and I commented
> that he played the Scarecrow.
>
> “In Batman?”
>
> “Hahahaha no.”
>
> And of course he immediately figured it out. When it was over he was
> smiling ear to ear and commented that it was a really good movie. He said
> he didn’t realize that musicals could be that good. “I mean HIGH SCHOOL
> MUSICAL wasn’t nearly that good.” He definitely got that right.
>
> I love the movie too in spite of the “Broadway Melody/Gotta Dance”
> production number which I have always thought grinds the movie to a halt.
> My guess is that they wanted an elaborate showpiece for Gene Kelly and Cyd
> Charisse and they just shoehorned it into the movie. It’s pretty and the
> music and dancing are almost entertaining, but it just does not belong in
> this movie. I think. The kid said he enjoyed it, so there is that.
>
> I think we have agreed the next one will be 1933 King Kong. I can’t wait to
> see it again. Might even get to it this afternoon.

Well that was a real brain fart. Ray Bolger played the Scarecrow. I don’t
know, I just don’t know. Old age strikes again.

--
Bill Anderson

I am the Mighty Favog

Re: These Kids Today

<NOzDL.596321$iU59.558545@fx14.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=3691&group=rec.arts.movies.past-films#3691

Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.past-films
From: pwall...@moviepig.com (moviePig)
Date: Sat, 4 Feb 2023 16:07:56 -0500
 by: moviePig - Sat, 4 Feb 2023 21:07 UTC

On 2/4/2023 3:04 PM, Bill Anderson wrote:
> Bill Anderson <billanderson@my-deja.com> wrote:
>> Bill Anderson <billanderson@my-deja.com> wrote:
>>> Time passes. New generations come along. Last night I was visited by a
>>> 17-year-old and we were looking for a movie to watch and I asked, “have you
>>> ever seen THE SIXTH SENSE?”
>>>
>>> No.
>>>
>>> Seriously? The one about the kid who says, “I see dead people?”
>>>
>>> Never heard of it.
>>>
>>> So we watched and he was suckered and I was treated to a look of genuine
>>> astonishment on his face at the end.
>>>
>>> You mean…?
>>>
>>> Yeah, practically the whole time.
>>>
>>> “That was a great movie!”
>>>
>>> Growing old is generally proving to be a pain, but it appears that
>>> occasionally there’s fun to be had.
>>>

>> Today we notched another classic film in the kid’s movie education. I
>> ignored all the advice and chose SINGIN’ IN THE RAIN because it’s a link to
>> the silent movie we saw last time. I was relieved that he really liked it.
>> He kept mentioning that he really liked Donald O’Connor and I commented
>> that he played the Scarecrow.
>>
>> “In Batman?”
>>
>> “Hahahaha no.”
>>
>> And of course he immediately figured it out. When it was over he was
>> smiling ear to ear and commented that it was a really good movie. He said
>> he didn’t realize that musicals could be that good. “I mean HIGH SCHOOL
>> MUSICAL wasn’t nearly that good.” He definitely got that right.
>>
>> I love the movie too in spite of the “Broadway Melody/Gotta Dance”
>> production number which I have always thought grinds the movie to a halt.
>> My guess is that they wanted an elaborate showpiece for Gene Kelly and Cyd
>> Charisse and they just shoehorned it into the movie. It’s pretty and the
>> music and dancing are almost entertaining, but it just does not belong in
>> this movie. I think. The kid said he enjoyed it, so there is that.
>>
>> I think we have agreed the next one will be 1933 King Kong. I can’t wait to
>> see it again. Might even get to it this afternoon.
>>

> Well that was a real brain fart. Ray Bolger played the Scarecrow. I don’t
> know, I just don’t know. Old age strikes again.

There I was, anticipating a truly recondite bit of trivia. (When I
first saw KING KONG, my mother dropped me off at a drive-in theater,
where I watched from a bench at the foot of the screen, under stars.)

Re: These Kids Today

<0539ddf6-c346-4cd6-911f-45fee85f07e9n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=3692&group=rec.arts.movies.past-films#3692

Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.past-films
Date: Sat, 4 Feb 2023 13:30:58 -0800 (PST)
From: wlahe...@gmail.com (wlah...@gmail.com)
 by: wlah...@gmail.com - Sat, 4 Feb 2023 21:30 UTC

On Saturday, February 4, 2023 at 4:08:00 PM UTC-5, moviePig wrote:

> There I was, anticipating a truly recondite bit of trivia. (When I
> first saw KING KONG, my mother dropped me off at a drive-in theater,
> where I watched from a bench at the foot of the screen, under stars.)

Love King Kong and still watch it once a year. Another favorite that kid might like is the original "The Thing."