My own business always bores me to death; I prefer other people's. -- Oscar Wilde

arts / rec.arts.sf.movies / Re: Dune (2021)

SubjectAuthor
* Dune (2021)T987654321
`* Re: Dune (2021)Steve Dodds
 +- Re: Dune (2021)Dimensional Traveler
 +- Re: Dune (2021)Jerry Brown
 `- Re: Dune (2021)T987654321

1
Dune (2021)

<fe129520-8eae-470f-8034-7e5864904454n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=364&group=rec.arts.sf.movies#364

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.movies
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2022 00:59:01 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Dune (2021)
From: qwrtz...@gmail.com (T987654321)
 by: T987654321 - Mon, 17 Jan 2022 08:59 UTC

P"aul Atreides, a brilliant and gifted young man born into a great destiny beyond his understanding, must travel to the most dangerous planet in the universe to ensure the future of his family and his people. As malevolent forces explode into conflict over the planet's exclusive supply of the most precious resource in existence—a commodity capable of unlocking humanity's greatest potential—only those who can conquer their fear will survive."

Cast Timothée Chalamet, Rebecca Ferguson, Oscar Isaac, Josh Brolin, Stellan Skarsgård, Dave Bautista, Stephen Henderson, Zendaya, Chen Chang, Sharon Duncan-Brewster, Charlotte Rampling, Jason Momoa, Javier Bardem, David Dastmalchian, Babs Olusanmokun
Director Denis Villeneuve

Wow, this is a long movie and yet they still managed to leave so much out. Of course the book and first movie are so well know that it it's not that big a deal. But what it's really missing is Sting! And the whole movie just looks blah, except the ornathopters which are very cool and slightly terrifying.

Re: Dune (2021)

<de68ac20-8277-4d2b-accd-db923108f15cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=365&group=rec.arts.sf.movies#365

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.movies
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2022 12:53:20 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: Dune (2021)
From: novastev...@gmail.com (Steve Dodds)
 by: Steve Dodds - Sat, 22 Jan 2022 20:53 UTC

On Monday, January 17, 2022 at 1:59:04 AM UTC-7, T987654321 wrote:
> P"aul Atreides, a brilliant and gifted young man born into a great destiny beyond his understanding, must travel to the most dangerous planet in the universe to ensure the future of his family and his people. As malevolent forces explode into conflict over the planet's exclusive supply of the most precious resource in existence—a commodity capable of unlocking humanity's greatest potential—only those who can conquer their fear will survive."
>
> Cast Timothée Chalamet, Rebecca Ferguson, Oscar Isaac, Josh Brolin, Stellan Skarsgård, Dave Bautista, Stephen Henderson, Zendaya, Chen Chang, Sharon Duncan-Brewster, Charlotte Rampling, Jason Momoa, Javier Bardem, David Dastmalchian, Babs Olusanmokun
> Director Denis Villeneuve
>

> Wow, this is a long movie and yet they still managed to leave so much out.. Of course the book and first movie are so well know that it it's not that big a deal. But what it's really missing is Sting! And the whole movie just looks blah, except the ornathopters which are very cool and slightly terrifying.

This movie is only the first half of the book, part 2 is coming out later this year or early 2023

Re: Dune (2021)

<sshtrb$p4h$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=366&group=rec.arts.sf.movies#366

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.movies
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2022 13:44:13 -0800
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Sat, 22 Jan 2022 21:44 UTC

On 1/22/2022 12:53 PM, Steve Dodds wrote:
> On Monday, January 17, 2022 at 1:59:04 AM UTC-7, T987654321 wrote:
>> P"aul Atreides, a brilliant and gifted young man born into a great destiny beyond his understanding, must travel to the most dangerous planet in the universe to ensure the future of his family and his people. As malevolent forces explode into conflict over the planet's exclusive supply of the most precious resource in existence—a commodity capable of unlocking humanity's greatest potential—only those who can conquer their fear will survive."
>>
>> Cast Timothée Chalamet, Rebecca Ferguson, Oscar Isaac, Josh Brolin, Stellan Skarsgård, Dave Bautista, Stephen Henderson, Zendaya, Chen Chang, Sharon Duncan-Brewster, Charlotte Rampling, Jason Momoa, Javier Bardem, David Dastmalchian, Babs Olusanmokun
>> Director Denis Villeneuve
>>

>> Wow, this is a long movie and yet they still managed to leave so much out. Of course the book and first movie are so well know that it it's not that big a deal. But what it's really missing is Sting! And the whole movie just looks blah, except the ornathopters which are very cool and slightly terrifying.
>

> This movie is only the first half of the book, part 2 is coming out later this year or early 2023

Currently scheduled for Oct 20, 2023

dirty old man.

Re: Dune (2021)

<sc6qugtpuinme5d8kpl79fl9pcv5jhv0uf@jwbrown.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=373&group=rec.arts.sf.movies#373

From: jer...@jwbrown.co.uk.invalid (Jerry Brown)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.movies
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2022 11:45:37 +0000
 by: Jerry Brown - Sun, 23 Jan 2022 11:45 UTC

On Sat, 22 Jan 2022 12:53:20 -0800 (PST), Steve Dodds
<novasteve14099@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Monday, January 17, 2022 at 1:59:04 AM UTC-7, T987654321 wrote:
>> P"aul Atreides, a brilliant and gifted young man born into a great destiny beyond his understanding, must travel to the most dangerous planet in the universe to ensure the future of his family and his people. As malevolent forces explode into conflict over the planet's exclusive supply of the most precious resource in existence—a commodity capable of unlocking humanity's greatest potential—only those who can conquer their fear will survive."
>>
>> Cast Timothée Chalamet, Rebecca Ferguson, Oscar Isaac, Josh Brolin, Stellan Skarsgård, Dave Bautista, Stephen Henderson, Zendaya, Chen Chang, Sharon Duncan-Brewster, Charlotte Rampling, Jason Momoa, Javier Bardem, David Dastmalchian, Babs Olusanmokun
>> Director Denis Villeneuve
>>

>> Wow, this is a long movie and yet they still managed to leave so much out. Of course the book and first movie are so well know that it it's not that big a deal. But what it's really missing is Sting! And the whole movie just looks blah, except the ornathopters which are very cool and slightly terrifying.
>

>This movie is only the first half of the book, part 2 is coming out later this year or early 2023

It ends after the knife fight with Jamis, leading me to suspect that
part 2 will skip "I was a friend of Jamis" since it does''t come
across as a particularly strong opening after a two year gap.

--
Jerry Brown

A cat may look at a king
(but probably won't bother)

Re: Dune (2021)

<39b59b55-8e4e-413b-9679-862a54c483a7n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=380&group=rec.arts.sf.movies#380

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.movies
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2022 11:48:24 -0800 (PST)
From: qwrtz...@gmail.com (T987654321)
 by: T987654321 - Sun, 23 Jan 2022 19:48 UTC

> This movie is only the first half of the book, part 2 is coming out later this year or early 2023

I was thinking in terms of back story. There's nothing about the AI war or why the Doctor was so trusted or a ton of other details.

It's been a very long time since I read the book, but didn't a lot more time pass between the Change and the invasion?