From: ricky...@earthlink.net (Ricardo Jimenez)
Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings,rec.music.opera
Subject: Marschner's Der Vampyr
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2022 20:03:41 -0400
 by: Ricardo Jimenez - Thu, 31 Mar 2022 00:03 UTC

At last there is a chance to view a performance of this early romantic
opera for those of us outside of Germany.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBqYcaU7YEI
You have until Sept. 25 to watch this video from Hanover which was
live streamed on March 25. The sound and picture are quite good as
played on my TV and sound equipment, but with a few glitches. As with
many recent performances of opera, it ended with the cast and
orchestra doing the Ukrainian national anthem. I had been familiar
with Der Vampyr through the Capriccio recording with Jonas Kaufmann as
Aubry. I wish we had Jonas in the Hanover production since I didn't
like the barking from the American tenor that took that part. Here is
Kaufmann doing an excerpt:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bABTY2hsB-0&ab_channel=MarkusMarquardt-Topic

The best thing musically from the new performance is the vigorous
conducting by Stephan Zilias. However as a whole, you won't enjoy
yourself very much unless you have a high tolerance for regietheater.
This production was super weird. Vinyl costumes and lots of extra
dialogue having a tenuous connection with the original opera. Instead
of the vampire cave, the first act takes place in front of a bombed
out synagogue. It is explained during the intermission between the
two acts that the directors wanted to highlight the plight of other
despised people besides vampires. A non singer character Ahasver took
the part of the wandering Jew. Lord Byron (also not in the original)
was camped up as Elton John dressed in pink. He did sing a song in
English with piano accompaniment. In the second act he appeared with
a 100% frontally nude boyfriend. Byron's connection with this opera
is that the original libretto was based on a short novel by the poet's
doctor, John Polidori who based it on a sketch by Byron.