The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth. -- A. Camus

arts / rec.music.beatles / Re: John Visiting LA in Sept. of '74

SubjectAuthor
* John Visiting LA in Sept. of '74Norbert K
`- Re: John Visiting LA in Sept. of '74Norbert K

1
John Visiting LA in Sept. of '74

<62af26db-d862-46f4-831d-715e8f030607n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=3292&group=rec.music.beatles#3292

Newsgroups: rec.music.beatles
Date: Fri, 20 May 2022 06:39:41 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: John Visiting LA in Sept. of '74
From: norbertk...@gmail.com (Norbert K)
 by: Norbert K - Fri, 20 May 2022 13:39 UTC

"Lennon was in Los Angeles for three days of business meetings and promotional activities, including a three-hour stint as guest disc jockey on a local radio station. Identifying himself much of the show as "Dr. Winston O'Boogie," he played some records (including to the surprise of some who feel he's still anti-Beatles, Paul McCartney's 'Jet' and George Harrison's 'My Sweet Lord'), and answered phone calls in the wry, who-can-take-this-seriously style that was his trademark in the Beatles.

""Despite the flip manner on the air, Lennon is, when in the quiet of his hotel suite or just with friends, a gracious host who does not demand to be the center of attention in the manner of so many rock stars and is exceptionally candid about his life -- the ups and downs. Unlike many that I've interviewed, he doesn't try, even subtly, to skirt issues or set limits on the subjects of discussion.

"Since both Harrison and McCartney are planning their own solo tours, the talk about a Beatles reunion has, for the moment, died down. For the record, however, the situation is much the same as a year ago. Lennon still thinks it's possible, but that no one has set any machinery into effect.

"With 'Walls and Bridges' finished, Lennon is now looking forward to putting the 'oldies' album together, and then work on his next solo album. 'I'm writing now. I've already finished three tunes. It's going well. I know I'll be ready just after Christmas.'"

-- from an LA Times article by Robert Hilburn

Re: John Visiting LA in Sept. of '74

<fd5b2e3a-e628-4f8e-b365-5e118af14258n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=3918&group=rec.music.beatles#3918

Newsgroups: rec.music.beatles
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2022 05:45:48 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: John Visiting LA in Sept. of '74
From: norbertk...@gmail.com (Norbert K)
 by: Norbert K - Mon, 14 Nov 2022 13:45 UTC

On Friday, May 20, 2022 at 6:39:43 AM UTC-7, Norbert K wrote:
> "Lennon was in Los Angeles for three days of business meetings and promotional activities, including a three-hour stint as guest disc jockey on a local radio station. Identifying himself much of the show as "Dr. Winston O'Boogie," he played some records (including to the surprise of some who feel he's still anti-Beatles, Paul McCartney's 'Jet' and George Harrison's 'My Sweet Lord'), and answered phone calls in the wry, who-can-take-this-seriously style that was his trademark in the Beatles.
>
> ""Despite the flip manner on the air, Lennon is, when in the quiet of his hotel suite or just with friends, a gracious host who does not demand to be the center of attention in the manner of so many rock stars and is exceptionally candid about his life -- the ups and downs. Unlike many that I've interviewed, he doesn't try, even subtly, to skirt issues or set limits on the subjects of discussion.
>
> "Since both Harrison and McCartney are planning their own solo tours, the talk about a Beatles reunion has, for the moment, died down. For the record, however, the situation is much the same as a year ago. Lennon still thinks it's possible, but that no one has set any machinery into effect.
>
> "With 'Walls and Bridges' finished, Lennon is now looking forward to putting the 'oldies' album together, and then work on his next solo album. 'I'm writing now. I've already finished three tunes. It's going well. I know I'll be ready just after Christmas.'"
>
> -- from an LA Times article by Robert Hilburn

So one of these tunes he'd had written was "Tennessee"; another was "Popcorn."

I wonder what the third song was and if a demo of it exists somewhere.