Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Thu, 5 May 2022 00:53:10 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: some facts of life...
From: ggggg9...@gmail.com (gggg gggg)
 by: gggg gggg - Thu, 5 May 2022 07:53 UTC

On Friday, January 31, 2014 at 5:34:56 AM UTC-10, William Sommerwerck wrote:
> "Bob Harper" wrote in message
>
> > As for greed, it's been with us forever and is not likely to go away.
> > The best--perhaps the only--way to restrain it is through free
> > competition. As soon as you try to restrain it by government fiat,
> > you run into the problem outlined above.
>
> Good grief!
>
> Unregulated competition only encourages greed.

Not everyone believes that the market economy is a good thing:

- If it had been the purpose of human activity on earth to bring the planet to the edge of ruin, no more efficient mechanism could have been invented than the market economy. Yet the majority of people in the West place their hope and faith in the mechanism of the market as the bearer of promise for their futures. This promise, to deliver an ever-increasing supply of consumer goods, hides a dark reality - the spreading of market values is leading to social desintegration in the West, and in the third world it is precipitating the destruction of the indigenous cultures that are the only surviving examples of how people can truly live in harmony with their environment. Jeremy Seabrook argues that, if the rhetoric about a sustainable society is to be translated into practical politics, Greens in the West must stand up and resist the growing dictatorship of the market, with a passion and energy equal to that of the market system itself.

https://www.paperbackswap.com/Myth-Market-Promises-Jeremy-Seabrook/book/1895431093/