Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Sun, 8 May 2022 06:24:05 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Leinsdorf discography
From: kerrison...@yahoo.co.uk (Kerrison)
 by: Kerrison - Sun, 8 May 2022 13:24 UTC

On Friday, May 24, 2019 at 11:01:15 PM UTC+1, markm...gmail.com wrote:
> On Friday, May 24, 2019 at 2:06:05 PM UTC-5, gpb...gmail.com wrote:
> > In 1981, Leinsdorf was in Los Angeles promoting his book, The Composer's Advocate, and I met him in Beverly Hills for an extended interview. He was gracious and open, and smoked a whole cigar while we talked.
> >
> > I asked him specifically about the Pickwick release of the Brahms Third, knowing that he had recorded the symphony with the Philharmonia, not the LA Phil, since I owned the original Capitol release. I was surprised then that he confessed that he did not remember which orchestra he had conducted for this recording, perhaps because he had made recordings with both at the same time.
> >
> > So even the cerebral and meticulous Leinsdorf had a memory failure. But the Brahms recording is definitely with the Philharmonia, not with the LA Phil.
> I'm glad to know that my memory lapse was shared by the conductor! Speaking of books, I remember that his autobiography, "Cadenza" was a great read.
>
> Mark

The Leinsdorf discography in John Holmes' "Conductors on Record" doesn't list a Tchaikovsky 5th, though his Wikipedia entry does refer to a "white hot Tchaikovsky 5th" from 1969 with the Boston Symphony on an ICA Classics DVD.. The finale on YouTube is indeed electrifying, so I wonder why he never made a commercial recording of the work. Of course, he wouldn't have been allowed to sing along with the music in a recording studio, as he does towards the end of this 'live' concert performance, whilst his removal of the silent 'pause' bar before the coda took care of any premature applause! ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvWOilQJbeo