History books which contain no lies are extremely dull.

arts / rec.music.classical.recordings / Re: From Prague to Jupiter, with Mozart

SubjectAuthor
* From Prague to Jupiter, with MozartHerman
+* Re: From Prague to Jupiter, with MozartChris J.
|+- Re: From Prague to Jupiter, with Mozartgggg gggg
|`- Re: From Prague to Jupiter, with Mozartgggg gggg
+* Re: From Prague to Jupiter, with Mozartgggg gggg
|`* Re: From Prague to Jupiter, with Mozartgggg gggg
| +- Re: From Prague to Jupiter, with Mozartgggg gggg
| `* Re: From Prague to Jupiter, with MozartHerman
|  `- Re: From Prague to Jupiter, with MozartHerman
+- Re: From Prague to Jupiter, with MozartMELMOTH
+- Re: From Prague to Jupiter, with MozartMELMOTH
+- Re: From Prague to Jupiter, with Mozartgggg gggg
+- Re: From Prague to Jupiter, with Mozartgggg gggg
+- Re: From Prague to Jupiter, with MozartGerard
+- Re: From Prague to Jupiter, with Mozartgggg gggg
+- Re: From Prague to Jupiter, with Mozartgggg gggg
`- Re: From Prague to Jupiter, with Mozartgggg gggg

1
From Prague to Jupiter, with Mozart

<6529e607-98f8-4455-bd30-c627668aeb76n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=29239&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#29239

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2021 08:43:09 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: From Prague to Jupiter, with Mozart
From: her...@yahoo.com (Herman)
 by: Herman - Sat, 24 Jul 2021 15:43 UTC

I don't know why but I am in a total Mozart late symphonies week, listening to the symphonies 39 thru 41, just stunned at the beauty and energy of the music.

I guess I do know why. Some time ago I listened a couple times to Mozart's Requiem which is, for all its merits, a relatively thin work. For obvious reasons. Most of it are just sketches.

With the symphonies you get the full treatment. Like someone said; "Too many notes, Mr Mozart." Just fabulous.

Long time ago I used to play (a record of) the Jupiter symphony on New Year's Eve every year. This week I listened to this music with my daughter (14) telling her about the fugue in the finale. I've always been a fan of the E flat major symphony (39), with its strange mix of 'let's party' and anxiety.

I don't have that many recordings: Bohm and Berlin and a couple with the Vienna. Harnoncourt and the Concertgebouw and the Ch. O Europe, Scottish Chamber and Charles Mackerras and the not so successful Abbado and the Orchestra Mozart. That's a really strange recording. At the moment (and I don't think it's ever been much different) my go to recording are the 39 - 41 with Harnoncourt and the Chamber Orch of Europe, at the bicentennial memorial concert in 1991.

However, other folks will have other favorites and I'd love to hear about those.

Re: From Prague to Jupiter, with Mozart

<feXKI.2026858$AK38.1572084@fx04.ams4>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=29241&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#29241

From: chrisjoh...@mailservice.invalid (Chris J.)
Subject: Re: From Prague to Jupiter, with Mozart
Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2021 16:30:03 GMT
 by: Chris J. - Sat, 24 Jul 2021 16:30 UTC

On 24 Jul 2021 Herman wrote:

> I don't know why but I am in a total Mozart late symphonies week,
> listening to the symphonies 39 thru 41, just stunned at the beauty and
> energy of the music.
(cut)
> However, other folks will have other favorites and I'd love to hear
> about those.

Frans Brüggen, Jordi Savall, John E. Gardiner.

Chris

Re: From Prague to Jupiter, with Mozart

<b0cd81a7-794d-4a7a-9f6f-58b9dbbb005cn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=29242&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#29242

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2021 09:33:24 -0700 (PDT)
From: ggggg9...@gmail.com (gggg gggg)
 by: gggg gggg - Sat, 24 Jul 2021 16:33 UTC

On Saturday, July 24, 2021 at 9:30:09 AM UTC-7, Chris J. wrote:
> On 24 Jul 2021 Herman wrote:
>
> > I don't know why but I am in a total Mozart late symphonies week,
> > listening to the symphonies 39 thru 41, just stunned at the beauty and
> > energy of the music.
> (cut)
> > However, other folks will have other favorites and I'd love to hear
> > about those.
> Frans Brüggen, Jordi Savall, John E. Gardiner.
>
> Chris

https://groups.google.com/g/rec.music.classical.recordings/c/NsxC71GsA3Q

Re: From Prague to Jupiter, with Mozart

<9c1f002c-5422-4076-b4f0-0926d71e4c01n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=29243&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#29243

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2021 09:47:15 -0700 (PDT)
From: ggggg9...@gmail.com (gggg gggg)
 by: gggg gggg - Sat, 24 Jul 2021 16:47 UTC

On Saturday, July 24, 2021 at 8:43:12 AM UTC-7, Herman wrote:
> I don't know why but I am in a total Mozart late symphonies week, listening to the symphonies 39 thru 41, just stunned at the beauty and energy of the music.
>
> I guess I do know why. Some time ago I listened a couple times to Mozart's Requiem which is, for all its merits, a relatively thin work. For obvious reasons. Most of it are just sketches.
>
> With the symphonies you get the full treatment. Like someone said; "Too many notes, Mr Mozart." Just fabulous.
>
> Long time ago I used to play (a record of) the Jupiter symphony on New Year's Eve every year. This week I listened to this music with my daughter (14) telling her about the fugue in the finale...

The 1971 movie OMEGA MAN is based on the 1954 novel I AM LEGEND whose hero listens to, among other classical music works, the Jupiter symphony:

https://listfulofhorrors.wordpress.com/2017/12/02/i-am-legend-the-soundtrack/

(From the novel):

- Now he sat in the living room, listening to Mozart’s Jupiter Symphony and wondering how he was to begin, where he was to begin his investigation.

https://mahoneyenglish.weebly.com/uploads/1/2/8/7/12871804/i-am-legend.pdf

Re: From Prague to Jupiter, with Mozart

<60fc497b$0$12681$426a74cc@news.free.fr>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=29244&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#29244

From: theom...@free.fr (MELMOTH)
Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2021 19:10:18 +0200
 by: MELMOTH - Sat, 24 Jul 2021 17:10 UTC

Herman a présenté l'énoncé suivant :
> However, other folks will have other favorites and I'd love to hear about
> those.

*Jaap Ter Linden* (Naxos)...
*Szell* (Columbia)...
*Reiner* (RCA)...

Re: From Prague to Jupiter, with Mozart

<60fc51b6$0$6457$426a74cc@news.free.fr>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=29246&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#29246

From: theom...@free.fr (MELMOTH)
Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Supersedes: <60fc497b$0$12681$426a74cc@news.free.fr>
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2021 19:45:26 +0200
 by: MELMOTH - Sat, 24 Jul 2021 17:45 UTC

(supersedes <60fc497b$0$12681$426a74cc@news.free.fr>)

Herman a présenté l'énoncé suivant :
> However, other folks will have other favorites and I'd love to hear about
> those.

*Jaap Ter Linden* (Brilliant)...
*Szell* (Columbia)...
*Reiner* (RCA)...
*Tate* (EMI)...
*Hogwood* (Oiseau Lyre)...

Re: From Prague to Jupiter, with Mozart

<d0e8393b-5c60-4c48-8c23-ddad753d494an@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=29247&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#29247

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2021 11:13:13 -0700 (PDT)
From: ggggg9...@gmail.com (gggg gggg)
 by: gggg gggg - Sat, 24 Jul 2021 18:13 UTC

On Saturday, July 24, 2021 at 8:43:12 AM UTC-7, Herman wrote:
> I don't know why but I am in a total Mozart late symphonies week, listening to the symphonies 39 thru 41, just stunned at the beauty and energy of the music.
>
> I guess I do know why. Some time ago I listened a couple times to Mozart's Requiem which is, for all its merits, a relatively thin work. For obvious reasons. Most of it are just sketches.
>
> With the symphonies you get the full treatment. Like someone said; "Too many notes, Mr Mozart." Just fabulous.
>
> Long time ago I used to play (a record of) the Jupiter symphony on New Year's Eve every year. This week I listened to this music with my daughter (14) telling her about the fugue in the finale. I've always been a fan of the E flat major symphony (39), with its strange mix of 'let's party' and anxiety.
>
> I don't have that many recordings: Bohm and Berlin and a couple with the Vienna. Harnoncourt and the Concertgebouw and the Ch. O Europe, Scottish Chamber and Charles Mackerras and the not so successful Abbado and the Orchestra Mozart. That's a really strange recording. At the moment (and I don't think it's ever been much different) my go to recording are the 39 - 41 with Harnoncourt and the Chamber Orch of Europe, at the bicentennial memorial concert in 1991.
>
> However, other folks will have other favorites and I'd love to hear about those.

http://www.classicalnotes.net/classics/mozartsyms.html

Re: From Prague to Jupiter, with Mozart

<f800bb51-5444-4188-b8d2-51dda0d3d7c5n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=29248&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#29248

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2021 11:21:59 -0700 (PDT)
From: ggggg9...@gmail.com (gggg gggg)
 by: gggg gggg - Sat, 24 Jul 2021 18:21 UTC

On Saturday, July 24, 2021 at 9:47:17 AM UTC-7, gggg gggg wrote:
> On Saturday, July 24, 2021 at 8:43:12 AM UTC-7, Herman wrote:
> > I don't know why but I am in a total Mozart late symphonies week, listening to the symphonies 39 thru 41, just stunned at the beauty and energy of the music.
> >
> > I guess I do know why. Some time ago I listened a couple times to Mozart's Requiem which is, for all its merits, a relatively thin work. For obvious reasons. Most of it are just sketches.
> >
> > With the symphonies you get the full treatment. Like someone said; "Too many notes, Mr Mozart." Just fabulous.
> >
> > Long time ago I used to play (a record of) the Jupiter symphony on New Year's Eve every year. This week I listened to this music with my daughter (14) telling her about the fugue in the finale...
>
> The 1971 movie OMEGA MAN is based on the 1954 novel I AM LEGEND whose hero listens to, among other classical music works, the Jupiter symphony:
>
> https://listfulofhorrors.wordpress.com/2017/12/02/i-am-legend-the-soundtrack/
>
> (From the novel):
>
> - Now he sat in the living room, listening to Mozart’s Jupiter Symphony and wondering how he was to begin, where he was to begin his investigation.
>
> https://mahoneyenglish.weebly.com/uploads/1/2/8/7/12871804/i-am-legend.pdf

Concerning the 1977 film I AM LEGEND:

- This film explores, very subtly, a question many people may not ask after seeing it, “Was the virus created to save lives, or as a revenue stream?” Were enough clinical trials conducted over a long enough period of time in order to know that the virus was safe for mass distribution? Was it rushed into the marketplace to capitalize on pharmaceutical companies making major money? We don’t get answers in the form of the history of the drug, but it’s clear that the world has suffered greatly. So, then because of a misstep, whether morally or genetically, our capitalistic society is quite literally being reclaimed by nature, with wild beasts roaming the streets devouring anything they can kill to survive.

https://www.gradesaver.com/i-am-legend/study-guide/th

Re: From Prague to Jupiter, with Mozart

<baabe3f2-ce9e-4e8c-b691-ff8d0e67da3en@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=29249&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#29249

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2021 11:30:53 -0700 (PDT)
From: ggggg9...@gmail.com (gggg gggg)
 by: gggg gggg - Sat, 24 Jul 2021 18:30 UTC

On Saturday, July 24, 2021 at 11:22:01 AM UTC-7, gggg gggg wrote:
> On Saturday, July 24, 2021 at 9:47:17 AM UTC-7, gggg gggg wrote:
> > On Saturday, July 24, 2021 at 8:43:12 AM UTC-7, Herman wrote:
> > > I don't know why but I am in a total Mozart late symphonies week, listening to the symphonies 39 thru 41, just stunned at the beauty and energy of the music.
> > >
> > > I guess I do know why. Some time ago I listened a couple times to Mozart's Requiem which is, for all its merits, a relatively thin work. For obvious reasons. Most of it are just sketches.
> > >
> > > With the symphonies you get the full treatment. Like someone said; "Too many notes, Mr Mozart." Just fabulous.
> > >
> > > Long time ago I used to play (a record of) the Jupiter symphony on New Year's Eve every year. This week I listened to this music with my daughter (14) telling her about the fugue in the finale...
> >
> > The 1971 movie OMEGA MAN is based on the 1954 novel I AM LEGEND whose hero listens to, among other classical music works, the Jupiter symphony:
> >
> > https://listfulofhorrors.wordpress.com/2017/12/02/i-am-legend-the-soundtrack/
> >
> > (From the novel):
> >
> > - Now he sat in the living room, listening to Mozart’s Jupiter Symphony and wondering how he was to begin, where he was to begin his investigation.
> >
> > https://mahoneyenglish.weebly.com/uploads/1/2/8/7/12871804/i-am-legend.pdf
> Concerning the 1977 film I AM LEGEND:
>
> - This film explores, very subtly, a question many people may not ask after seeing it, “Was the virus created to save lives, or as a revenue stream?” Were enough clinical trials conducted over a long enough period of time in order to know that the virus was safe for mass distribution? Was it rushed into the marketplace to capitalize on pharmaceutical companies making major money? We don’t get answers in the form of the history of the drug, but it’s clear that the world has suffered greatly. So, then because of a misstep, whether morally or genetically, our capitalistic society is quite literally being reclaimed by nature, with wild beasts roaming the streets devouring anything they can kill to survive.
>
> https://www.gradesaver.com/i-am-legend/study-guide/th

(Try the following link):

https://www.gradesaver.com/i-am-legend/study-guide/themes

Re: From Prague to Jupiter, with Mozart

<4bf3921d-08dc-4b1a-8e00-6aa733eaa7e0n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=29250&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#29250

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2021 11:41:54 -0700 (PDT)
From: her...@yahoo.com (Herman)
 by: Herman - Sat, 24 Jul 2021 18:41 UTC

On Saturday, July 24, 2021 at 8:22:01 PM UTC+2, gggg gggg wrote:

> Concerning the 1977 film I AM LEGEND:
>
> - This film explores, very subtly, a question many people may not ask

Buddy, no one is interested. Stop this wankery.

Re: From Prague to Jupiter, with Mozart

<df59a5cc-03ea-44ef-92e9-28bfe7b6da70n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=29258&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#29258

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2021 19:49:44 -0700 (PDT)
From: ggggg9...@gmail.com (gggg gggg)
 by: gggg gggg - Sun, 25 Jul 2021 02:49 UTC

On Saturday, July 24, 2021 at 8:43:12 AM UTC-7, Herman wrote:
> I don't know why but I am in a total Mozart late symphonies week, listening to the symphonies 39 thru 41, just stunned at the beauty and energy of the music.
>
> I guess I do know why. Some time ago I listened a couple times to Mozart's Requiem which is, for all its merits, a relatively thin work. For obvious reasons. Most of it are just sketches.
>
> With the symphonies you get the full treatment. Like someone said; "Too many notes, Mr Mozart." Just fabulous.
>
> Long time ago I used to play (a record of) the Jupiter symphony on New Year's Eve every year. This week I listened to this music with my daughter (14) telling her about the fugue in the finale...

According to this:

- it is for the finale that Mozart has reserved all the resources of his science, and all the power, which no one seems to have possessed to the same degree with himself, of concealing that science, and making it the vehicle for music as pleasing as it is learned. Nowhere has he achieved more.

Sir George Grove

(Youtube upload):

Mozart - Symphony No. 41 in C, K. 551 [complete] (Jupiter)

Re: From Prague to Jupiter, with Mozart

<ebe37fa2-a74e-4ac4-9ee8-9b9bd7e523c8n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=29259&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#29259

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2021 01:44:58 -0700 (PDT)
From: her...@yahoo.com (Herman)
 by: Herman - Sun, 25 Jul 2021 08:44 UTC

Some youtube vids of the Jupiter:

The 1991 bicentennial concert with the COE and Harnoncourt
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8-SZrxwnUs

a very nice one by the Sinfonia de Galicia and their chief conductor Dima Slobodeniouk:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylJBlFq6joo

same orchestra, in an insufferable fussy and didactic Jupiter with Lorin Maazel:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6EOb86YdIs

Just imagine how much bigger Maazel’s fee was than Slobodeniouk’s.

how not to conduct Mozart with Paavo Järvi and the excellent Frankfurt RSO:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RbKWhr0o1c

Same orchestra, better suited conductor in Andrès Orozco-Estrada:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZpFrydm6G4

Re: From Prague to Jupiter, with Mozart

<sdjb60$198e$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=29260&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#29260

From: g_hendri...@live.com (Gerard)
Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2021 11:33:51 +0200
 by: Gerard - Sun, 25 Jul 2021 09:33 UTC

Op 2021-07-24 om 17:43 schreef Herman:
> I don't know why but I am in a total Mozart late symphonies week, listening to the symphonies 39 thru 41, just stunned at the beauty and energy of the music.
>
> I guess I do know why. Some time ago I listened a couple times to Mozart's Requiem which is, for all its merits, a relatively thin work. For obvious reasons. Most of it are just sketches.
>
> With the symphonies you get the full treatment. Like someone said; "Too many notes, Mr Mozart." Just fabulous.
>
> Long time ago I used to play (a record of) the Jupiter symphony on New Year's Eve every year. This week I listened to this music with my daughter (14) telling her about the fugue in the finale. I've always been a fan of the E flat major symphony (39), with its strange mix of 'let's party' and anxiety.
>
> I don't have that many recordings: Bohm and Berlin and a couple with the Vienna. Harnoncourt and the Concertgebouw and the Ch. O Europe, Scottish Chamber and Charles Mackerras and the not so successful Abbado and the Orchestra Mozart. That's a really strange recording. At the moment (and I don't think it's ever been much different) my go to recording are the 39 - 41 with Harnoncourt and the Chamber Orch of Europe, at the bicentennial memorial concert in 1991.
>
> However, other folks will have other favorites and I'd love to hear about those.

I have no obvious favorites (Gardiner comes close), but a few alternatives.
- Gardiner
- Klemperer
- Pinnock
- Brüggen (39-41)
- Colin Davis

Possible alternatives I did not hear yet:
- Savall (39-41)
- Minasi (39-41)

Re: From Prague to Jupiter, with Mozart

<42b93f93-278a-472d-9617-68d5e41fe0a0n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=39118&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#39118

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2022 00:54:19 -0700 (PDT)
From: ggggg9...@gmail.com (gggg gggg)
 by: gggg gggg - Mon, 25 Apr 2022 07:54 UTC

On Saturday, July 24, 2021 at 5:43:12 AM UTC-10, Herman wrote:
> I don't know why but I am in a total Mozart late symphonies week, listening to the symphonies 39 thru 41, just stunned at the beauty and energy of the music.
>
> I guess I do know why. Some time ago I listened a couple times to Mozart's Requiem which is, for all its merits, a relatively thin work. For obvious reasons. Most of it are just sketches.
>
> With the symphonies you get the full treatment. Like someone said; "Too many notes, Mr Mozart." Just fabulous.
>
> Long time ago I used to play (a record of) the Jupiter symphony on New Year's Eve every year. This week I listened to this music with my daughter (14) telling her about the fugue in the finale. I've always been a fan of the E flat major symphony (39), with its strange mix of 'let's party' and anxiety.
>
> I don't have that many recordings: Bohm and Berlin and a couple with the Vienna. Harnoncourt and the Concertgebouw and the Ch. O Europe, Scottish Chamber and Charles Mackerras and the not so successful Abbado and the Orchestra Mozart. That's a really strange recording. At the moment (and I don't think it's ever been much different) my go to recording are the 39 - 41 with Harnoncourt and the Chamber Orch of Europe, at the bicentennial memorial concert in 1991.
>
> However, other folks will have other favorites and I'd love to hear about those.

(Recent Y. upload):

Dave's Faves: My Personal Favorite Recordings No. 27 (Mozart)

Re: From Prague to Jupiter, with Mozart

<effb39f4-e870-4e5e-834b-1785f7999342n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=39624&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#39624

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Tue, 10 May 2022 00:56:43 -0700 (PDT)
From: ggggg9...@gmail.com (gggg gggg)
 by: gggg gggg - Tue, 10 May 2022 07:56 UTC

On Saturday, July 24, 2021 at 5:43:12 AM UTC-10, Herman wrote:
> I don't know why but I am in a total Mozart late symphonies week, listening to the symphonies 39 thru 41, just stunned at the beauty and energy of the music.
>
> I guess I do know why. Some time ago I listened a couple times to Mozart's Requiem which is, for all its merits, a relatively thin work. For obvious reasons. Most of it are just sketches.
>
> With the symphonies you get the full treatment. Like someone said; "Too many notes, Mr Mozart." Just fabulous.
>
> Long time ago I used to play (a record of) the Jupiter symphony on New Year's Eve every year. This week I listened to this music with my daughter (14) telling her about the fugue in the finale. I've always been a fan of the E flat major symphony (39), with its strange mix of 'let's party' and anxiety.
>
> I don't have that many recordings: Bohm and Berlin and a couple with the Vienna. Harnoncourt and the Concertgebouw and the Ch. O Europe, Scottish Chamber and Charles Mackerras and the not so successful Abbado and the Orchestra Mozart. That's a really strange recording. At the moment (and I don't think it's ever been much different) my go to recording are the 39 - 41 with Harnoncourt and the Chamber Orch of Europe, at the bicentennial memorial concert in 1991.
>
> However, other folks will have other favorites and I'd love to hear about those.

https://groups.google.com/g/rec.music.classical.recordings/c/NsxC71GsA3Q

Re: From Prague to Jupiter, with Mozart

<38db7bbe-605e-4bf6-b55f-fe7154b79d05n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=39625&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#39625

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Tue, 10 May 2022 01:00:20 -0700 (PDT)
From: ggggg9...@gmail.com (gggg gggg)
 by: gggg gggg - Tue, 10 May 2022 08:00 UTC

On Saturday, July 24, 2021 at 5:43:12 AM UTC-10, Herman wrote:
> I don't know why but I am in a total Mozart late symphonies week, listening to the symphonies 39 thru 41, just stunned at the beauty and energy of the music.
>
> I guess I do know why. Some time ago I listened a couple times to Mozart's Requiem which is, for all its merits, a relatively thin work. For obvious reasons. Most of it are just sketches.
>
> With the symphonies you get the full treatment. Like someone said; "Too many notes, Mr Mozart." Just fabulous.
>
> Long time ago I used to play (a record of) the Jupiter symphony on New Year's Eve every year. This week I listened to this music with my daughter (14) telling her about the fugue in the finale. I've always been a fan of the E flat major symphony (39), with its strange mix of 'let's party' and anxiety.
>
> I don't have that many recordings: Bohm and Berlin and a couple with the Vienna. Harnoncourt and the Concertgebouw and the Ch. O Europe, Scottish Chamber and Charles Mackerras and the not so successful Abbado and the Orchestra Mozart. That's a really strange recording. At the moment (and I don't think it's ever been much different) my go to recording are the 39 - 41 with Harnoncourt and the Chamber Orch of Europe, at the bicentennial memorial concert in 1991.
>
> However, other folks will have other favorites and I'd love to hear about those.

http://classicalnotes.net/classics/mozartsyms.html

Re: From Prague to Jupiter, with Mozart

<77125634-f9bf-4d41-8888-9d4200c3a715n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=40017&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#40017

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Wed, 25 May 2022 16:27:02 -0700 (PDT)
From: ggggg9...@gmail.com (gggg gggg)
 by: gggg gggg - Wed, 25 May 2022 23:27 UTC

On Saturday, July 24, 2021 at 9:30:09 AM UTC-7, Chris J. wrote:
> On 24 Jul 2021 Herman wrote:
>
> > I don't know why but I am in a total Mozart late symphonies week,
> > listening to the symphonies 39 thru 41, just stunned at the beauty and
> > energy of the music.
> (cut)
> > However, other folks will have other favorites and I'd love to hear
> > about those.
>
> Frans Brüggen, Jordi Savall, John E. Gardiner.
>
> Chris

(Y. upload):

Repertoire: The BEST Mozart Late Symphonies (Sets)