When nothing can possibly go wrong, it will.

arts / rec.music.beatles / Maureen

SubjectAuthor
* MaureenBruce
`- Re: MaureenBlueshirt

1
Maureen

<fd930f82-9d36-4ae2-8e18-66e46995cc8an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=3964&group=rec.music.beatles#3964

Newsgroups: rec.music.beatles
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2022 21:00:43 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Maureen
From: Savo...@aol.com (Bruce)
 by: Bruce - Mon, 21 Nov 2022 05:00 UTC

Abbey Road Tribute
·
Today’s “Beatles People” is Maureen Starkey

Maureen Starkey Tigrett (born Mary Cox; August 4,1946 – December 30, 1994) left convent school when she was 14 years old, changing her name to Maureen when she began her career as a trainee manicurist/hairdresser.
She remembered turning her school uniform around to make it look like a frock, and paying a school friend ten cigarettes a day to teach her how to "smoke properly".
At 15, Mo became a regular at the Cavern Club. She started dating Ringo in 1962.
In September 1963, with her parents' permission, she travelled to Greece with Ringo, Paul and Jane Asher.
When Ringo collapsed and was rushed to the hospital for tonsillitis, was rushed to hospital, Mo visited every day to help him recuperate. Afterwards they became a monogamous couple.
In January 1965, Ringo proposed marriage to Mo at the Ad Lib Club, above the Prince Charles Theatre, London.
After finding out that she was pregnant in late January 1965, 18-year-old Mo married Ringo.
Mo enjoyed the closeness of Cynthia Lennon and Pattie Harrison, as they often went on holiday together and shopping.
Ringo promised that he would set up a nationwide hairdressing business for his wife, but the idea was later shelved, as she had to deal with looking after their children and being the wife of a Beatle.
Mo would stay up all night, waiting with a cooked meal for Ringo when he came home after a recording session.
She was also asked to look after fan club mail, and would personally answer letters.
“I like answering the letters. I’ve been doing it for five years now. I get some lovely replies back from the parents,” said Mo.
In 1968, Frank Sinatra was asked to record a customized version of ‘The Lady Is A Tramp’ for Mo’s 22nd birthday. Sinatra agreed to record it and Ringo presented Mo with a disc of the song.
Lyrics:
There’s no one like her, but no one at all
And as for charm, hers is like wall to wall
She married Ringo, and she could have had Paul
That’s why the lady is a champ
Creates excitement whenever it’s dull
She just appears and there goes the lull
She merely smiles and you’re out of your skull
That’s why the lady is a champ
The folks who do and don’t meditate
Agree she’s great
They mean, Maureen
I’ve got more lyrics right after this vamp
Because the lady is a champ
Though we’ve not met I’m convinced she’s a gem
I’m just FS but to me she’s Big M
Mainly because she prefers to me to them
That’s why the lady is a champ.
I’ve lots of fans – well, at least one or two
But Peter Brown called me to tell me its true
She sleeps with Ringo but she thinks of you
That’s why the lady is a champ.
But I can boast, boast as much
As much as I please,
The fact is that she’s his wife
But that’s life
But it’s her day so I whistle and stamp
Because the lady, the charming lady, Mr Ringo’s lady, is a champ.

https://scontent-lga3-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t39.30808-6/314949527_546794180600523_7383699193521526306_n.jpg?_nc_cat=1&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=0fQW2Y3pVeIAX-7H5dB&_nc_ht=scontent-lga3-2.xx&oh=00_AfCkh2ok0sdkVe6nD002Uw07ngq5KOWSuFkQVT9GIKJj9Q&oe=63800CAB

Re: Maureen

<nnd$15cb63ba$47ab2d8f@ca851ad87a799606>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=3968&group=rec.music.beatles#3968

From: bluesh...@indigo.news (Blueshirt)
Subject: Re: Maureen
Newsgroups: rec.music.beatles
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2022 21:39:45 +0100
 by: Blueshirt - Mon, 21 Nov 2022 20:39 UTC

Bruce wrote:

> [...]
> lyrics right after this vamp Because the lady is a champ Though we’ve
> not met I’m convinced she’s a gem I’m just FS but to me she’s Big M
> Mainly because she prefers to me to them That’s why the lady is a
> champ. I’ve lots of fans – well, at least one or two But Peter Brown
> called me to tell me its true She sleeps with Ringo but she thinks of
> you That’s why the lady is a champ. But I can boast, boast as much
> As much as I please, The fact is that she’s his wife But that’s life
> But it’s her day so I whistle and stamp Because the lady, the
> charming lady, Mr Ringo’s lady, is a champ.

https://scontent-lga3-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t39.30808-6/314949527_546794180600523_7383699193521526306_n.jpg?_nc_cat=1&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=0fQW2Y3pVeIAX-7H5dB&_nc_ht=scontent-lga3-2.xx&oh=00_AfCkh2ok0sdkVe6nD002Uw07ngq5KOWSuFkQVT9GIKJj9Q&oe=63800CAB

No mention of George sleeping with her? It's not a proper tribute
unless you keep the juicy bits in!

So the sentence "Mo enjoyed the closeness of Cynthia Lennon and Pattie
Harrison" should at least have included George in it... :-)