A morsel of genuine history is a thing so rare as to be always valuable. -- Thomas Jefferson

arts / rec.music.classical.recordings / Re: Scelsi 1939

SubjectAuthor
* Scelsi 1939cdc
`* Re: Scelsi 1939Mandryka
 +* Re: Scelsi 1939HT
 |`- Re: Scelsi 1939Mandryka
 `* Re: Scelsi 1939cdc
  `* Re: Scelsi 1939Todd M. McComb
   `* Re: Scelsi 1939cdc
    `* Re: Scelsi 1939Todd M. McComb
     `- Re: Scelsi 1939cdc

1
Scelsi 1939

<sr79u1$1u4p$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=35341&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#35341

From: cdc...@somewhere.org (cdc)
Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Subject: Scelsi 1939
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2022 17:46:41 -0000 (UTC)
 by: cdc - Thu, 6 Jan 2022 17:46 UTC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hv0o8dejbAM

Impressively, he was twenty or thirty years ahead ...

Re: Scelsi 1939

<a56a190a-7500-4c9a-a269-d16d49e94bf3n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=35342&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#35342

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2022 10:24:31 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: Scelsi 1939
From: howie.st...@gmail.com (Mandryka)
 by: Mandryka - Thu, 6 Jan 2022 18:24 UTC

On Thursday, January 6, 2022 at 5:46:46 PM UTC, cdc wrote:
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hv0o8dejbAM
>
> Impressively, he was twenty or thirty years ahead ...

This is Suite 6 -- improvised by Scelsi and then notated, possibly by an assistant.

Always good to have something new by James Clapperton.

Re: Scelsi 1939

<b5427bc2-b8ac-473e-a471-7e3ee6c42c69n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=35344&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#35344

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2022 10:44:39 -0800 (PST)
From: hvtu...@xs4all.nl (HT)
 by: HT - Thu, 6 Jan 2022 18:44 UTC

Op donderdag 6 januari 2022 om 19:24:34 UTC+1 schreef Mandryka:
> On Thursday, January 6, 2022 at 5:46:46 PM UTC, cdc wrote:
> > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hv0o8dejbAM
> >
> > Impressively, he was twenty or thirty years ahead ...
> This is Suite 6 -- improvised by Scelsi and then notated, possibly by an assistant.
>
> Always good to have something new by James Clapperton.

What makes this improvisation 20 or 30 years ahead of its time?

Henk

Re: Scelsi 1939

<sr7hkg$1d9i$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=35345&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#35345

From: cdc...@somewhere.org (cdc)
Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2022 19:58:08 -0000 (UTC)
 by: cdc - Thu, 6 Jan 2022 19:58 UTC

Il Thu, 06 Jan 2022 10:24:31 -0800, Mandryka ha scritto:

> This is Suite 6 -- improvised by Scelsi and then notated, possibly by an
> assistant.

What you say (the practice of improvising, recording and then having
others do the transcriptions) is known. But in 1938-39 with what
commercially available device could one record one's improvisations on the
piano?

Re: Scelsi 1939

<22a877dd-369b-4aec-800a-6de5deff9152n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=35346&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#35346

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2022 12:47:56 -0800 (PST)
From: howie.st...@gmail.com (Mandryka)
 by: Mandryka - Thu, 6 Jan 2022 20:47 UTC

On Thursday, January 6, 2022 at 6:44:41 PM UTC, hvt...@xs4all.nl wrote:
> Op donderdag 6 januari 2022 om 19:24:34 UTC+1 schreef Mandryka:
> > On Thursday, January 6, 2022 at 5:46:46 PM UTC, cdc wrote:
> > > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hv0o8dejbAM
> > >
> > > Impressively, he was twenty or thirty years ahead ...
> > This is Suite 6 -- improvised by Scelsi and then notated, possibly by an assistant.
> >
> > Always good to have something new by James Clapperton.
> What makes this improvisation 20 or 30 years ahead of its time?
>
> Henk

Just thinking of the start, obvious things which make it stand out for me is the unpredictability of the rhythm and the articulation, and the the way the repeated D is coloured by adjacent notes. I don't know the period well enough to say whether it resembles other pieces of the time. The physicality of the music makes me think of Ustvolskaya and Bartok, and the chromaticism reminds me of later Scriabin -- though I hardly know any of these composers very well!

As far as impact on later music, is it fanciful to see in that repeated D in the first part the genesis of all the one note music which so marked the second half of the twentieth century. Had Stockhausen heard this suite before writing Inori, for example? Or Berio before writing his piano sonata?

Re: Scelsi 1939

<sr7l5l$kal$1@hope.eyrie.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=35347&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#35347

From: mcc...@medieval.org (Todd M. McComb)
Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2022 20:58:29 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: todd@pangkur.medieval.org (Todd M. McComb)
 by: Todd M. McComb - Thu, 6 Jan 2022 20:58 UTC

In article <sr7hkg$1d9i$1@gioia.aioe.org>, cdc <cdc@somewhere.org> wrote:
>What you say (the practice of improvising, recording and then
>having others do the transcriptions) is known. But in 1938-39 with
>what commercially available device could one record one's
>improvisations on the piano?

Scelsi was still composing in the traditional manner at that time.

It's worth noting that his future ondiola improvisations were all
transcribed for other forces. There is no notated ondiola music
(except maybe _In nomine lucis_ I suppose).

Re: Scelsi 1939

<t644te$pho$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=39872&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#39872

From: cdc...@somewhere.org (cdc)
Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Thu, 19 May 2022 01:01:35 -0000 (UTC)
 by: cdc - Thu, 19 May 2022 01:01 UTC

Il Thu, 06 Jan 2022 20:58:29 +0000, Todd M. McComb ha scritto:

> It's worth noting that his future ondiola improvisations were all
> transcribed for other forces.

I found this (an ondioline improvisation by Scelsi):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0pq1GvBBsA

There is no written information on this document, not even where it was
taken from, but perhaps there is a musicologist here who can make a
critical judgment.

Re: Scelsi 1939

<t6456m$7bj$1@hope.eyrie.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=39873&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#39873

From: mcc...@medieval.org (Todd M. McComb)
Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Thu, 19 May 2022 01:06:30 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: todd@pangkur.medieval.org (Todd M. McComb)
 by: Todd M. McComb - Thu, 19 May 2022 01:06 UTC

In article <t644te$pho$1@gioia.aioe.org>, cdc <cdc@somewhere.org> wrote:
>I found this (an ondioline improvisation by Scelsi):
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0pq1GvBBsA
>There is no written information on this document, not even where it was
>taken from, but perhaps there is a musicologist here who can make a
>critical judgment.

Without having a listen to the Youtube link, there is an entire
tape archive of Scelsi's ondiola improvisations, controlled by the
Isabella Scelsi Trust. The double album _Scelsi Revisited_, recently
on Kairos, turned to material from this archive that had not been
scored, and had it scored by other composers (according to the
orchestration of _Anahit_). There may be future plans, but I'm not
specifically aware.

Re: Scelsi 1939

<t648e5$pho$2@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=39874&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#39874

From: cdc...@somewhere.org (cdc)
Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Thu, 19 May 2022 02:01:41 -0000 (UTC)
 by: cdc - Thu, 19 May 2022 02:01 UTC

Il Thu, 19 May 2022 01:06:30 +0000, Todd M. McComb ha scritto:

> Without having a listen to the Youtube link, there is an entire tape
> archive of Scelsi's ondiola improvisations, controlled by the Isabella
> Scelsi Trust.

So what? I know well that there is this tape archive, but it is not
mentioned...You can only assume it comes from there... Do you know that
material from the tape archive has been published?
I had never found a whole ondiola improvisation by Scelsi before.
I've always wanted to be able to compare the raw material on tape
(digitized) with the final scores.

Bye,