Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv,alt.comics.spider-man,rec.arts.comics.marvel.universe,rec.arts.sf.tv
Subject: 45 YEARS AGO, MARVEL RELEASED ITS MOST UNWATCHABLE SUPERHERO SHOW EVER
From: web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2022 18:12:36 -0400
 by: Ubiquitous - Tue, 20 Sep 2022 22:12 UTC

"Somewhere in the vast multiverse, The Amazing Spider-Man was the
biggest show of the 1970s."

Having never seen the show, that was the headline I hoped would mark
the 45th anniversary of The Amazing Spider-Man TV series, which debuted
on September 14, 1977. But after watching the 90-minute pilot and two
hour-long episodes, I've determined that the series is more than
deserving of its current legacy as an obscure piece of Spider-Man
history on par with the notoriously stupid Spider-Mobile.

If you're fortunate enough to be unfamiliar with The Amazing Spider-
Man, let me fill you in. It was Marvel's first live-action TV show and,
over two sporadically-scheduled seasons, it ran for a total of 13
episodes before getting canceled. Oddly enough, the show did well in
the ratings and CBS only canceled it so that it wouldn't become known
as a network dominated by superhero shows - CBS was also running Wonder
Woman and The Incredible Hulk at the time.

The Amazing Spider-Man starred Nicholas Hammond as Spider-Man and
Robert F. Simon as J. Jonah Jameson. Those two were the only characters
from the comics who were regulars. Everyone else was a new character.
It also occasionally featured Aunt May, but she was deemed so
unimportant that she only appeared twice and was played by two
different actresses.

The show was structured around Peter Parker's time at The Daily Bugle,
where, as a photographer, he would get caught up with the stories of
various criminal doings and, as the action progressed, he'd jump back-
and-forth between the roles of Peter Parker and Spider-Man and rescue
people as needed. If that sounds familiar, it's because it's precisely
the way various Superman shows have operated from George Reeves'
Adventures of Superman to Dean Cain's Lois & Clark: The New Adventures
of Superman.

Indeed, rather than make use of Spider-Man's well-established drama
with his love life, the story of Uncle Ben, him caring for his Aunt
May, or even just struggling to pay the rent, the show decided that
Superman's story was more compelling that Spider-Man's, so it just
opted to use that instead. It also transformed the fiery J. Jonah
Jameson into more of a brusk-but-likable Perry White-type character.
And even though Peter Parker is a junior freelance photographer, he
somehow ends up "on the case" over and over again.

In losing Peter Parker's story, the show also loses Peter Parker
himself. While he's playing a grad student in college, we hardly ever
see him there, so there's none of the nerdy social outcast aspect to
Peter's character that is so important to making him the "everyman"
superhero. Instead, he's more of an earnest young man with a keen eye
for reporting.

The portrayal of Spider-Man is even worse, with none of the wise-
cracking or whimsy that makes the character fun. Instead, he's silent
the vast majority of the time and all we can hear is blaring disco
music for the score. Hammond's acting - both as Peter and Spider-Man -
is fine but not remotely memorable, which is probably worse than it
being bad because at least bad can be fun.

Which brings me to the biggest reason why The Amazing Spider-Man is
entirely without merit: its tone. Given the constraints of the time
period - and because it was for television - an hour-long Spider-Man
show could have gone one of two ways, it could have been a straight,
serious drama like The Incredible Hulk, or it could have been a campy
bit of fun, like the 1960s Batman show. Instead, it does neither, which
makes it really bad. But not so bad that it's fun - it's just bad
enough to be really really boring.

While it's certainly dated by today's standards, The Incredible Hulk
was a successful TV drama and there was good reason for it at the time.
While it didn't feature supervillains, the Hulk is a character full of
pathos and there's plenty of Jekyll-and-Hyde, duality-of-man kind of
drama for the show to delve into. Spider-Man can have that too, of
course, but this show was considerably lighter in tone and opted to
give Peter Parker Superman drama, not Spider-Man drama, so it wasn't
nearly as personal as it could have been.

Spider-Man also could have gone the Batman route and maybe that would
have worked. The brilliance of Batman was that it was fun to watch for
kids and adults. For kids, it was a straight-up superhero show, but for
adults, the show was a fun romp with truly hilarious performances by
the likes of Cesar Romero as the Joker or Burgess Meredith as the
Penguin. The Amazing Spider-Man, however, went the Hulk route with no
supervillains, which eliminated a lot of the fun it could have had.

I mean, try to imagine the scenery that could have been chewed with Al
Lewis (Grandpa Munster), as a cheeseball live-action Doc Ock? That's a
show that would have been a lot of fun, but The Amazing Spider-Man had
none of that and almost no personality as a result.

Honestly, if you're looking for a way to describe the tone of The
Amazing Spider-Man, just imagine Batman, minus all of the hilarious
villains and minus Adam West's considerable charm and comedic chops,
then you've got The Amazing Spider-Man.

So, despite my best efforts, there's truly nothing to love about The
Amazing Spider-Man TV show. I might even go so far as to say that
nowhere in the vast multiverse was this show ever successful, but, with
infinite timelines, it's possible that Grandpa Munster played Doctor
Octopus in at least one potential reality, isn't it?

--
Let's go Brandon!

Re: 45 YEARS AGO, MARVEL RELEASED ITS MOST UNWATCHABLE SUPERHERO SHOW EVER

<vKGWK.1081068$Eeb3.1059816@fx05.ams1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=41&group=rec.arts.comics.marvel.universe#41

Subject: Re: 45 YEARS AGO, MARVEL RELEASED ITS MOST UNWATCHABLE SUPERHERO SHOW
EVER
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv,alt.comics.spider-man,rec.arts.comics.marvel.universe,rec.arts.sf.tv
From: dsb...@REMOVETHISbtinternet.com (the dog from that film you saw)
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2022 17:13:14 +0100
 by: the dog from that fi - Wed, 21 Sep 2022 16:13 UTC

On 20/09/2022 23:12, Ubiquitous wrote:
> "Somewhere in the vast multiverse, The Amazing Spider-Man was the
> biggest show of the 1970s."
>
> Having never seen the show, that was the headline I hoped would mark
> the 45th anniversary of The Amazing Spider-Man TV series, which debuted
> on September 14, 1977. But after watching the 90-minute pilot and two
> hour-long episodes, I've determined that the series is more than
> deserving of its current legacy as an obscure piece of Spider-Man
> history on par with the notoriously stupid Spider-Mobile.

i went to see it at the cinema here in the UK.
a double bill with arabian adventure, i loved both, rope spider webs and
all, my mum said it was rubbish however.