From: doc...@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.drwho,uk.media.tv.sf.drwho,rec.arts.tv,rec.arts.sf.tv,can.arts.sf
Subject: ChatGPT reviews Doctor Who - The Underwater Menace
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2024 15:23:19 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
 by: The Doctor - Mon, 8 Apr 2024 15:23 UTC

"Doctor Who - The Underwater Menace" is a four-part serial from the Fourth
Season of the original series, first broadcast in 1967. The story revolves
around the Doctor and his companions landing on the lost underwater city of
Atlantis, where they encounter a megalomaniacal scientist intent on raising
Atlantis from the depths of the ocean.

Episode 1 introduces the intriguing premise of an underwater civilisation,
showcasing impressive set design and atmosphere. However, subsequent episodes
struggle to maintain momentum, with the plot becoming increasingly convoluted
and the pacing uneven.

One of the standout elements of "The Underwater Menace" is the memorable
performance of Joseph Furst as Professor Zaroff, the deranged scientist
determined to conquer the world. Furst brings a charismatic yet sinister
presence to the role, elevating the story whenever he appears on screen.

Unfortunately, the serial suffers from production limitations, particularly
evident in the underwater sequences, which are hampered by primitive special
effects. Additionally, the characterisation of the Doctor and his companions
feels somewhat underdeveloped, with less focus on their interactions and
dynamics compared to other serials.

While "The Underwater Menace" has its flaws, including a somewhat lackluster
resolution, it still offers moments of entertainment and showcases the
creativity of Doctor Who's early years.

Episode 1: 6/10
Episode 2: 5/10
Episode 3: 4/10
Episode 4: 5/10

Overall Rating: 5/10
--
Member - Liberal International This is doctor@nk.ca Ici doctor@nk.ca
What worth the power of law that won't stop lawlessness? -unknown

Re: ChatGPT reviews Doctor Who - The Underwater Menace: comes with good telesnaps, the others are bad

<0001HW.2BC5F96208C79A9A30E89E38F@news.giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=4113&group=rec.arts.sf.tv#4113

Date: Tue, 09 Apr 2024 15:32:02 -0700
From: pluted...@outlook.com (Pluted Pup)
Subject: Re: ChatGPT reviews Doctor Who - The Underwater Menace: comes with good telesnaps, the others are bad
Newsgroups: rec.arts.drwho, uk.media.tv.sf.drwho, rec.arts.tv, rec.arts.sf.tv, can.arts.sf
 by: Pluted Pup - Tue, 9 Apr 2024 22:32 UTC

On Mon, 08 Apr 2024 08:23:19 -0700, The Doctor wrote:

> "Doctor Who - The Underwater Menace" is a four-part serial from the Fourth
> Season of the original series, first broadcast in 1967. The story revolves
> around the Doctor and his companions landing on the lost underwater city of
> Atlantis, where they encounter a megalomaniacal scientist intent on raising
> Atlantis from the depths of the ocean.
>
> Episode 1 introduces the intriguing premise of an underwater civilisation,
> showcasing impressive set design and atmosphere. However, subsequent episodes
> struggle to maintain momentum, with the plot becoming increasingly convoluted
> and the pacing uneven.
>
> One of the standout elements of "The Underwater Menace" is the memorable
> performance of Joseph Furst as Professor Zaroff, the deranged scientist
> determined to conquer the world. Furst brings a charismatic yet sinister
> presence to the role, elevating the story whenever he appears on screen.
>
> Unfortunately, the serial suffers from production limitations, particularly
> evident in the underwater sequences, which are hampered by primitive special
> effects. Additionally, the characterisation of the Doctor and his companions
> feels somewhat underdeveloped, with less focus on their interactions and
> dynamics compared to other serials.
>
> While "The Underwater Menace" has its flaws, including a somewhat lackluster
> resolution, it still offers moments of entertainment and showcases the
> creativity of Doctor Who's early years.
>
> Episode 1: 6/10
> Episode 2: 5/10
> Episode 3: 4/10
> Episode 4: 5/10
>
> Overall Rating: 5/10

What good is this "chatGPT" junk? Stupid "chatGPT" doesn't
even mention that the first and forth chapter is in telesnaps.

The Underwater Menace is the only presentation I've seen with
half-way decent telesnaps.They are nearly free of animation,
if I recall right, they don't zoom in or out, they don't
scroll, they don't have fade ins or fade outs, etc.

It'd help to have some text to help explain what's going
on that's not apparent in the dialog. And it should be
obvious that text shouldn't scroll, especially left to right,
as producers will evidentially do anything they can to make
a program harder to view, so when they hear the word "text"
they immediately think "words are boring, they must be
animated in some way".

The telesnaps in the Web of Fear episode were terrible, panning,
scanning, zooming in and out, even oscillating between
telesnaps during dialog, as if the viewer needs to see a
picture of the Doctor staring at the camera in order to
recognize his voice and words, and showing the telesnaps
out of order.

The telesnaps that came with the American DVDs of Power of
the Daleks (at that time the BBC refused to issue Blu-Rays
to Americans, and I didn't yet get a multi-region player)
had a something called like Small Change presentation of
the complete telesnaps but it was even worse: they allocated
less than a megabyte per second which would have enough
except that Loose Change went and animated the telesnaps!
Steam bubbles up, the telesnaps move and each scene change
has a fade-in and fade-out: every animation of the telesnaps
dissolves into macro-blocks.

The telesnapped Marco Polo is merely an excerpt, not complete,
and suffers from some animation of the telesnaps.

Telesnaps have a bad reputation, and this is due to
producers treating them bad. There's no reason that
the entire collection of black and white Doctor Who
hasn't been released already on home video, using
telesnaps of the unavailable episodes.

The Underwater Menace has half-way decent telesnaps.
Unnecessary animations were done to the titles in
the beginning of the episodes and it was not necessary to
animate the end to eliminate the Tardis from the
picture. The storyline at that point was completely
clear and if the last real telesnap showed the Tardis,
so what?

Re: ChatGPT reviews Doctor Who - The Underwater Menace: comes with good telesnaps, the others are bad

<uv4jgh$b9k$1@gallifrey.nk.ca>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=4114&group=rec.arts.sf.tv#4114

From: doc...@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.drwho,uk.media.tv.sf.drwho,rec.arts.tv,rec.arts.sf.tv,can.arts.sf
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2024 23:37:53 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
 by: The Doctor - Tue, 9 Apr 2024 23:37 UTC

Does it have access to any telesnaps?
--
Member - Liberal International This is doctor@nk.ca Ici doctor@nk.ca
What worth the power of law that won't stop lawlessness? -unknown

Re: ChatGPT reviews Doctor Who - The Underwater Menace: comes with good telesnaps, the others are bad

<0001HW.2BC712E408DA581F30BAF638F@news.giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=4125&group=rec.arts.sf.tv#4125

Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2024 11:33:08 -0700
From: pluted...@outlook.com (Pluted Pup)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.drwho, uk.media.tv.sf.drwho, rec.arts.tv, rec.arts.sf.tv, can.arts.sf
 by: Pluted Pup - Wed, 10 Apr 2024 18:33 UTC

On Tue, 09 Apr 2024 16:37:53 -0700, The Doctor wrote:

> [...]
> > Steam bubbles up, the telesnaps move and each scene change
> > has a fade-in and fade-out: every animation of the telesnaps
> > dissolves into macro-blocks.
> >
> > The telesnapped Marco Polo is merely an excerpt, not complete,
> > and suffers from some animation of the telesnaps.
> >
> > Telesnaps have a bad reputation, and this is due to
> > producers treating them bad. There's no reason that
> > the entire collection of black and white Doctor Who
> > hasn't been released already on home video, using
> > telesnaps of the unavailable episodes.
> >
> > The Underwater Menace has half-way decent telesnaps.
> > Unnecessary animations were done to the titles in
> > the beginning of the episodes and it was not necessary to
> > animate the end to eliminate the Tardis from the
> > picture. The storyline at that point was completely
> > clear and if the last real telesnap showed the Tardis,

In no way did I imply that ChatGPT or the like should
be producing Doctor Who series for home video.

Is that something you'd like?

Re: ChatGPT reviews Doctor Who - The Underwater Menace: comes with good telesnaps, the others are bad

<uv76mj$11rn$2@gallifrey.nk.ca>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=4134&group=rec.arts.sf.tv#4134

From: doc...@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.drwho,uk.media.tv.sf.drwho,rec.arts.tv,rec.arts.sf.tv,can.arts.sf
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2024 23:17:39 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: doctor@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor)
 by: The Doctor - Wed, 10 Apr 2024 23:17 UTC

In article <0001HW.2BC712E408DA581F30BAF638F@news.giganews.com>,

How about better information?