Even if you persuade me, you won't persuade me. -- Aristophanes

arts / rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s / Re: SAMP'S REVIEWS - DECEMBER 1952

SubjectAuthor
* SAMP'S REVIEWS - DECEMBER 1952Roger
+* Re: SAMP'S REVIEWS - DECEMBER 1952Bruce
|`- Re: SAMP'S REVIEWS - DECEMBER 1952Roger
`* Re: SAMP'S REVIEWS - DECEMBER 1952DianeE
 `* Re: SAMP'S REVIEWS - DECEMBER 1952Roger
  +* Re: SAMP'S REVIEWS - DECEMBER 1952DianeE
  |`- Re: SAMP'S REVIEWS - DECEMBER 1952Bruce
  `* Re: SAMP'S REVIEWS - DECEMBER 1952Roger
   `- Re: SAMP'S REVIEWS - DECEMBER 1952DianeE

1
SAMP'S REVIEWS - DECEMBER 1952

<fe5518db10a95b34218b8e36d4cb1c92@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=41423&group=rec.music.rock-pop-r%2Bb.1950s#41423

Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2023 14:37:04 +0000
Subject: SAMP'S REVIEWS - DECEMBER 1952
From: maria...@blueyonder.co.uk (Roger)
Newsgroups: rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s
 by: Roger - Sun, 24 Dec 2023 14:37 UTC

As Samp crosses from November to December 1952 here's a few of the items we might expect to see reviewed over the next few weeks :-

Johnny Ace – Cross My Heart/Angel
Archibald – Great Big Eyes/Early Morning Blues
Dave Bartholomew – High Flyin’ Woman/Stormy Weather
The Bayou Boys – Bamalaya
Boots Brown & Blockbusters – Block Buster
Clarence “Gatemouth” Brown – Dirty Work At The Crossroads
Dolly Cooper – Believe In Me
The Diamonds – A Beggar For Your Kisses
The Dreamers – Walkin’ My Blues Away
Rudy Ferguson – Cool Goofin’
“5” Royales – Baby Don’t Do It/Take All Of Me
The Five Sharps – Stormy Weather
Jesse & Marvin – Dream Girl
Little Willie Littlefield – K.C. Loving
Lattie Moore – Juke Joint Johnny (borderline I guess—doubt Samp will include it)
The Nic Nacs – Found Me A Sugar Daddy/Gonna Have A Happy Xmas
Patty Anne & Flames – Midnight
Lloyd Price – Ain’t It A Shame
The Royals – Are You Forgetting/What Did I Do
Mr Sad Head – Sad Head Blues
Joe Turner – Still In Love
Billy Ward & His Dominoes – The Bells/Pedal Pushin’ Papa
Lester Williams – Brand New Baby
Chuck Willis – Wrong Lake To Catch A Fish/Salty Tears

Re: SAMP'S REVIEWS - DECEMBER 1952

<f772b4b07272ab1ebcdd67d4793e011a@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=41428&group=rec.music.rock-pop-r%2Bb.1950s#41428

Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2023 16:41:27 +0000
Subject: Re: SAMP'S REVIEWS - DECEMBER 1952
From: savo...@aol.com (Bruce)
Newsgroups: rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s
 by: Bruce - Sun, 24 Dec 2023 16:41 UTC

Roger wrote:

> As Samp crosses from November to December 1952 here's a few of the items we might expect to see reviewed over the next few weeks :-

> The Nic Nacs – Found Me A Sugar Daddy/Gonna Have A Happy Xmas

First released in 1950, it appears as a regional hit in Oakland in December 1950 in either CB or BB, or both. Was reissued or re-promoted as a new release in 1952 and maybe in 1951 also. I say repromoted because they may have just had a lot of original copies left, might not be a new pressing. I have a beat up 78 of it somewhere.

Re: SAMP'S REVIEWS - DECEMBER 1952

<cf2ae01ed9b3129c2767c6ec09ff5d4b@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=41449&group=rec.music.rock-pop-r%2Bb.1950s#41449

Date: Mon, 25 Dec 2023 08:56:34 +0000
From: maria...@blueyonder.co.uk (Roger)
Newsgroups: rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s
 by: Roger - Mon, 25 Dec 2023 08:56 UTC

Bruce wrote:

> Roger wrote:

>> As Samp crosses from November to December 1952 here's a few of the items we might expect to see reviewed over the next few weeks :-

>> The Nic Nacs – Found Me A Sugar Daddy/Gonna Have A Happy Xmas

> First released in 1950, it appears as a regional hit in Oakland in December 1950 in either CB or BB, or both. Was reissued or re-promoted as a new release in 1952 and maybe in 1951 also. I say repromoted because they may have just had a lot of original copies left, might not be a new pressing. I have a beat up 78 of it somewhere.

Yes it was reissued in 1951 with a later RPM catalog number and appeared again in 1952

Re: SAMP'S REVIEWS - DECEMBER 1952

<d8f9ab4e6f2d2cd4e8f978d2e0fd11e2@news.novabbs.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=41462&group=rec.music.rock-pop-r%2Bb.1950s#41462

From: DianeE...@aol.com (DianeE)
Newsgroups: rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s
Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2023 18:38:54 +0000
 by: DianeE - Tue, 26 Dec 2023 18:38 UTC

Roger wrote:

> As Samp crosses from November to December 1952 here's a few of the items we might expect to see reviewed over the next few weeks :-

> The Five Sharps – Stormy Weather
-----------
I'll be (unpleasantly) surprised if he includes this one. It's of intense interest to *record* collectors but not to *music* historians. But one never knows with Samp. OTOH I'd like to see him rate the Lattie Moore record.

Re: SAMP'S REVIEWS - DECEMBER 1952

<db0a7d293e0e3cc8ca7eecb8efc66d07@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=41471&group=rec.music.rock-pop-r%2Bb.1950s#41471

Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2023 08:04:59 +0000
From: maria...@blueyonder.co.uk (Roger)
Newsgroups: rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s
 by: Roger - Wed, 27 Dec 2023 08:04 UTC

DianeE wrote:

> Roger wrote:

>> As Samp crosses from November to December 1952 here's a few of the items we might expect to see reviewed over the next few weeks :-

>> The Five Sharps – Stormy Weather
> -----------
> I'll be (unpleasantly) surprised if he includes this one. It's of intense interest to *record* collectors but not to *music* historians. But one never knows with Samp. OTOH I'd like to see him rate the Lattie Moore record.

I don't see how he can't not include this one based on its huge reputation with nearly all 50's r&b vocal group fans. Personally I like the record a lot rating it a high 7. Sure,the Spaniels version (an 8) is performed better but I wish the tempo wasn't changed. And of course both Lena Horne and Ethel Waters have excellent versions.

But I'm expecting a 2 or 3 at most with the Samp verdict :)

Re: SAMP'S REVIEWS - DECEMBER 1952

<eMViN.100821$Wp_8.57010@fx17.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=41479&group=rec.music.rock-pop-r%2Bb.1950s#41479

Newsgroups: rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s
From: Dia...@NoSpam.net (DianeE)
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2023 08:37:15 -0500
 by: DianeE - Wed, 27 Dec 2023 13:37 UTC

On 12/27/2023 3:04 AM, Roger wrote:
> DianeE wrote:
>
>> Roger wrote:
>
>>> As Samp crosses from November to December 1952 here's a few of the
>>> items we might expect to see reviewed over the next few weeks :-
>

>>> The Five Sharps – Stormy Weather
>> -----------
>> I'll be (unpleasantly) surprised if he includes this one.  It's of
>> intense interest to *record* collectors but not to *music*
>> historians.  But one never knows with Samp.  OTOH I'd like to see him
>> rate the Lattie Moore record.
>
> I don't see how he can't not include this one based on its huge
> reputation with nearly all 50's r&b vocal group fans. Personally I like
> the record a lot rating it a high 7. Sure,the Spaniels version (an 8) is
> performed better but I wish the tempo wasn't changed. And of course both
> Lena Horne and Ethel Waters have excellent versions.
>
> But I'm expecting a 2 or 3 at most with the Samp verdict :)
-----------
If so he'll agree with me (and with the record-buying public in 1952).

Re: SAMP'S REVIEWS - DECEMBER 1952

<3a7cbf59f814d8f7ead659dcde0aaf98@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=41485&group=rec.music.rock-pop-r%2Bb.1950s#41485

Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2023 16:52:09 +0000
From: savo...@aol.com (Bruce)
Newsgroups: rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s
 by: Bruce - Wed, 27 Dec 2023 16:52 UTC

DianeE wrote:

> On 12/27/2023 3:04 AM, Roger wrote:
>> DianeE wrote:

>>> -----------
>>> I'll be (unpleasantly) surprised if he includes this one.  It's of
>>> intense interest to *record* collectors but not to *music*
>>> historians.  But one never knows with Samp.  OTOH I'd like to see him
>>> rate the Lattie Moore record.
>>
>> I don't see how he can't not include this one based on its huge
>> reputation with nearly all 50's r&b vocal group fans. Personally I like
>> the record a lot rating it a high 7. Sure,the Spaniels version (an 8) is
>> performed better but I wish the tempo wasn't changed. And of course both
>> Lena Horne and Ethel Waters have excellent versions.
>>
>> But I'm expecting a 2 or 3 at most with the Samp verdict :)
> -----------
> If so he'll agree with me (and with the record-buying public in 1952).

I don't think the record buying public ever got a chance to hear it and decide if they liked it. I've got it as an 8 and it's #101 on my 1952 list.

Re: SAMP'S REVIEWS - DECEMBER 1952

<433283fc441be777324757e0b422ae2d@news.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=41489&group=rec.music.rock-pop-r%2Bb.1950s#41489

Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2023 20:39:23 +0000
From: maria...@blueyonder.co.uk (Roger)
Newsgroups: rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s
 by: Roger - Wed, 27 Dec 2023 20:39 UTC

Roger wrote:

> DianeE wrote:

>> Roger wrote:

>>> As Samp crosses from November to December 1952 here's a few of the items we might expect to see reviewed over the next few weeks :-

>>> The Five Sharps – Stormy Weather
>> -----------
>> I'll be (unpleasantly) surprised if he includes this one. It's of intense interest to *record* collectors but not to *music* historians. But one never knows with Samp. OTOH I'd like to see him rate the Lattie Moore record.

> I don't see how he can't not include this one based on its huge reputation with nearly all 50's r&b vocal group fans. Personally I like the record a lot rating it a high 7. Sure,the Spaniels version (an 8) is performed better but I wish the tempo wasn't changed. And of course both Lena Horne and Ethel Waters have excellent versions.

> But I'm expecting a 2 or 3 at most with the Samp verdict :)

Make that a 1 or a 2.

I forgot Samp is bound to deduct an extra point because of his overwhelming fondness of Jerry Blaine :-)

Re: SAMP'S REVIEWS - DECEMBER 1952

<4Z2jN.25352$t8cc.12116@fx06.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=41491&group=rec.music.rock-pop-r%2Bb.1950s#41491

Newsgroups: rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s
From: Dia...@NoSpam.net (DianeE)
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2023 19:05:20 -0500
 by: DianeE - Thu, 28 Dec 2023 00:05 UTC

On 12/27/2023 3:39 PM, Roger wrote:
> Roger wrote:
>
>> DianeE wrote:

>>> -----------
>>> I'll be (unpleasantly) surprised if he includes this one.  It's of
>>> intense interest to *record* collectors but not to *music*
>>> historians.  But one never knows with Samp.  OTOH I'd like to see him
>>> rate the Lattie Moore record.
>
>> I don't see how he can't not include this one based on its huge
>> reputation with nearly all 50's r&b vocal group fans. Personally I
>> like the record a lot rating it a high 7. Sure,the Spaniels version
>> (an 8) is performed better but I wish the tempo wasn't changed. And of
>> course both Lena Horne and Ethel Waters have excellent versions.
>
>> But I'm expecting a 2 or 3 at most with the Samp verdict :)
>
> Make that a 1 or a 2.
> I forgot Samp is bound to deduct an extra point because of his
> overwhelming fondness of Jerry Blaine :-)
--------
Hmmm, you may be right about that. Would account for his unaccountable
lack of enthusiasm for the Orioles.

arts / rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s / Re: SAMP'S REVIEWS - DECEMBER 1952