Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2024 19:12:51 +0000
Subject: 2-9-24 - Cash Box Reviews of The Day - MARCH 2, 1957
From: savo...@aol.com (Bruce)
Newsgroups: rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s
 by: Bruce - Fri, 9 Feb 2024 19:12 UTC

MARCH 2, 1957

https://www.worldradiohistory.com/Archive-All-Music/Cash-Box/50s/1957/CB-1957-03-02.pdf

The Cash Box Disk of the Week

PAT BOONE (Dot 15545)

“WHY BABY WHY” (1:57) [Winneton BMI—Dixon, Harrison]
“I’M WAITING JUST FOR YOU” (2:15) [Lois BMI—Leigh, Glover]

Pat Boone has blossomed into one of the record industry’s top
stars in less than two years, and there seems to be no end to
his potential in all fields of entertainment. Currently riding in
the disk derby’s top three with his smash waxing “Don’t Forbid
Me,” and with a dozen previous hits under his belt, Pat offers a
superb new two sider that should follow in the footsteps of his
other record breakers. For his millions of fans who enjoy the
rhythmic Boone, Pat jumps thru an excellent up-beat love song
tagged “Why Baby Why.” Superb rocker with a potent vocal per-
formance that’ll flip the kids. Top notch teenage material. The
companion piece “I’m Waiting Just For You” displays the crooning
Mr. B. with a lovely multiple track, shuffle beat love song. Tender,
sentimental blues tune with great potential. Another double-barrel-
led smash for the youngster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omVCYLAnA9A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AChkxngD-to

THE DIAMONDS (Mercury 71060)

“LITTLE DARLIN’” (2:05) [Excellorec BMI—Williams]
“FAITHFUL AND TRUE” (2:35) [Geo. Paxton ASCAP—Ackers, Skylar]

The Diamonds have found a tremendous piece of material tailor made
for their style and sound and they present it in winning fashion on their
latest Mercury waxing. It’s an exciting rhythm, opus with a great beat
and a number of terrific gimmicks sure to have the kids hopping. Titled
“Little Darlin’,” the tune is a commercial swinger out of the rock and roll
field. The boys’ cover treatment is far and away their best effort to date
and it should be up on the charts in a matter of days. The Latin tempo,
the bass voice recitation plus the wailing chants of the tenor all add up
to a top drawer performance. Flip “Faithful And True,” has the quartet
blending warmly on a ten- der love ballad. Top portion is the one to
watch closely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5LMkAttTps
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6iEZ2ltS9s

JOHNNY DEE (Colonial 430)

“SITTIN’ IN THE BALCONY” (1:57) [Bentley BMI—Dee]
Colonial, the label to introduce “A Rose And A Baby Ruth,” has another
contagious item with great teenage appeal. This one features Johnny
Dee with a guitar filled jump ballad. It’s a catchy ditty with some clever
lyrics about a guy and a gal smooching in the balcony. Kids’ll love it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxLSAREn3HI

“A-PLUS IN LOVE” (2:40) [Bentley BMI—Dee]
The songster does a fine job on another of his own compositions.
Rhythm romancer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EYkL_chm-Y

BILL HALEY & HIS COMETS (Decca 30214)

“FORTY CUPS OF COFFEE" (2:30) [Arc BMI—Overbea]
“HOOK, LINE AND SINKER” (2:32) [Valleybrook ASCAP—Haley, Khoury, Bonner]

The amazing Mr. Haley continues to shatter records on his tour outside
the U.S. In Australia he wowed 'em and had them begging for a return
visit. In England he’s playing to sell-out audiences and seems to be one
of the hottest performers to visit the isles to date. For his American fan-
dom, Haley introduces another sizzling two sider that should have the
kids hopping around the clock. “Forty Cups Of Coffee” is a wild, rafter
shaker with that inimitable Haley drive from start to finish. Swinging
arrangement of a tune that rode the R & B charts for a number of weeks
in ’56. This one should make the pop lists in short order. Equally exciting
is the companion deck “Hook, Line and Sinker.” Another torrid rocker
with driving guitar, bass, drums and sax. Haley’s international following
will flip over this twin threat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDKfP-gme74
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tTvwcz-JbI

WERLY FAIRBURN (Savoy 1509)

"MY HEART’S ON FIRE” [Crossroads BMI—Myers]
Country songster Werly Fairburn, currently a member of the
rockbilly association, belts out an exciting rock and roller
that
swings. Solid teen stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jtSfq4tp1Q

“SPEAK TO ME BABY” [Crossroads BMI — Myers]
Another free-swinging rhythm opus tailor made for
the teensters who like their music for dancing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UUqeRGO1A0

EDDIE COCHRAN (Liberty 55056)

“SITTIN’ IN THE BALCONY” (1:57) [Bentley BMI—Dee]
Eddie Cochran makes an exciting debut on Liberty with
a catchy rhythm romancer about a guy making love to
his girl in the balcony. Solid new rhythm item aimed di-
rectly at the teenager. Potent version that’ll bite off
a share of the sales melon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIWU4CHbR04

“DARK LONELY STREET” (2:20) [Simon Jackson BMI Cochran;, Capehart]
A sentimental ballad is chanted by the deep voiced song-
ster on this end. Side has a folk flavoring.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5ZVQ4izpjA

CAROL JARVIS (Bally 1029)

“MY HEART HAS A MIND OF ITS OWN” (2:21) [Falstaff BMI—Schrager, Chorney, Sehrager]
“LOVER BOY” (2:06) [Falstaff BMI—Shrager, Chorney, Sehrager]

Bally Records, currently enjoying great success with femme songstress
Betty Johnson’s hit recording “I Dreamed,” should have another female
representative on the charts in the person of Carol Jarvis. The lark, who
makes her debut on the label this week, has a powerful piece of material
to work with and she handles it in top form. Titled “My Heart Has A Mind
Of Its Own,” the tune is a dramatic, heart-rending love story tearfully
portrayed by the talented youngster. The song is aimed directly at the
teenagers and just can’t miss the bulls-eye. It’s got the rock & roll beat
the kids want. Bottom deck is a good jump item tagged “Lover Boy.” Carol
will make noise with the top deck.

both sides - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHwgNMlWRxE

The Cash Box Award o’ the Week

LITTLE RICHARD (Specialty 598)

“LUCILLE” (2:21) [Venice BMI—A. Collins]
“SEND ME SOME LOVIN’ ” (2:16) [Venice BMI—Marasealco, Price]

Little Richard has another. Rocking out with all the energy and unusual
vocal qualities that belong just to him, the man with the hair comb sings
“Lucille”, a middle beat rock, to a fare thee well. The novelty in the title
phrase is milked to a fare-thee-well by Little Richard. Watch this one go.
The flip, “Send Me Some Lovin’ ”, is a slow beat effort that Richard does
well by. He gives the tune a lift and it is a side that could make some
noise—but we think jockeys will start right out on “Lucille”.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7VVa5LgKi0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHmKVPFUu3c

THE MOONGLOWS (Chess 1651)

"I’M AFRAID THE MASQUERADE IS OVER” (2:21) [Crawford ASCAP—Wruvel, Magidson]
“DON’T SAY GOODBYE” (2:38) [Arc BMI—Twiggs, Wang Pratt]

The Moonglows certainly surprise with their treatments of both sides,
“I’m Afraid The Masquerade Is Over” and “Don’t Say Goodbye”. The
former is a quick beat lovely that the talented group gives an unusual
reading. The deck is loaded with vocal gimmicks and surprises. A tre-
mendous side that is a r & b pop top rung prospect. “Don’t Say Good-
bye” is a slow beat melty effort, supported by strings. The lads make
their pitch for the big overall sale of both markets as they turn out
this delightful lovely with a tender reading handled “just right”. Two
completely ‘different’ sides for The Moonglows. Two hit prospects for
The Moonglows.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThvFt-x_8pQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MF1NZT3G4O8

OTIS WILLIAMS AND HIS CHARMS (DeLuxe 6115)

“WALKIN’ AFTER MIDNIGHT” (2:35) [4-Star BMI—Hecht, Block]
“I’M WAITING JUST FOR YOU” (2:17) [Jay & Cee BMI—Leigh, Glover]

Otis Williams and His Charms deliver two light rocking sides with charm,
vivacity and much appeal. “Walkin’ After Midnight” and “I’m Waiting Just
For You”, are two delightful, lilting, melodious offerings with romance the
theme of each lyric. Both decks have captured the feeling that warms up
the listener. Williams and His Charms rack up two potential hit sides. Both
are cut from the same piece of cloth. Tuneful and commercial. Stay close
to both.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: 2-9-24 - Cash Box Reviews of The Day - MARCH 2, 1957

<F%uxN.354398$xHn7.241123@fx14.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=42294&group=rec.music.rock-pop-r%2Bb.1950s#42294

Subject: Re: 2-9-24 - Cash Box Reviews of The Day - MARCH 2, 1957
Newsgroups: rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s
From: stevemc...@sbcglobal.net (Steve Mc)
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2024 11:26:28 -0800
 by: Steve Mc - Fri, 9 Feb 2024 19:26 UTC

On 2/9/2024 11:12 AM, Bruce wrote:
> The Cash Box Award o’ the Week
>
> LITTLE RICHARD (Specialty 598)
>
> “LUCILLE” (2:21) [Venice BMI—A. Collins]
> “SEND ME SOME LOVIN’ ” (2:16) [Venice BMI—Marasealco, Price]
> Little Richard has another. Rocking out with all the energy and
> unusual vocal qualities that belong just to him, the man with the hair
> comb sings
> “Lucille”, a middle beat rock, to a fare thee well. The novelty in the
> title phrase is milked to a fare-thee-well by Little Richard. Watch
> this one go. The flip, “Send Me Some Lovin’ ”, is a slow beat effort
> that Richard does well by. He gives the tune a lift and it is a side
> that could make some noise—but we think jockeys will start right out
> on “Lucille”.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7VVa5LgKi0
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHmKVPFUu3c

What a balls-out great double-sider, though apparently the public
didn't feel the same way. Though I guess # 21 isn't that bad.

 Year    Have (X) or (none)    Date Entered Charts    Peak Date    Peak
Position    Artist (Last, First)    Yearly Rating Title
1957    x    03/23/57        21    Little Richard    170 Lucille
1957    x    04/06/57        54    Little Richard    292    Send Me Some
Lovin'

--
Steve Mc

DNA to SBC to respond

Re: 2-9-24 - Cash Box Reviews of The Day - MARCH 2, 1957

<8528bbb40ce2e348961e3d04ddd7cecc@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=42296&group=rec.music.rock-pop-r%2Bb.1950s#42296

Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2024 20:22:38 +0000
From: maria...@blueyonder.co.uk (Roger)
Newsgroups: rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s
 by: Roger - Fri, 9 Feb 2024 20:22 UTC

Bruce wrote:

> MARCH 2, 1957

> https://www.worldradiohistory.com/Archive-All-Music/Cash-Box/50s/1957/CB-1957-03-02.pdf

> First British R&R Film Nears Completion

> LONDON, ENG.—Jeffrey S. Kruger, co-producer of the first British made
> rock and roll movie, titled “Rock You Sinners”, announced last week that
> the film is now almost completed. The past ten weeks have seen the fi-
> nalizing of all recordings for the film by top names in the British R & R
> field and shooting is now nearing the final stages. The pic stars Adrienne
> Scott, Philip Gilbert, Jackie Collins and Colin Croft in the acting department,
> and such names as Art Baxter and His Rockin’ Sinners; Tony Crombie and
> the Rockets; The Blackjacks starring Rory Blackwell; and Don Sollash and
> the Rockin’ Horses in the musical department. Vocalists featured are Joan
> Small, Dickie Bennett, George Browne and Curly Pat Barry. An extensive
> tie-up campaign has been arranged by Kruger Enterprises with top British
> recording companies and a nationwide promotion has been set up to get
> the flicker and the recordings off to a big start.

> (Roger, are any of these music acts even halfway decent?)

Um.....in a word.....NOPE!

> I just sampled them on Youtube. One is worse than the other! A couple of
> them are trying to be the UK's Billy Haley & the Comets, but they REALLY
> suck.

The movie (I use the word loosely!) is on YouTube (but maybe not everywhere?)

Can you get this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKapOj0j65Q

Re: 2-9-24 - Cash Box Reviews of The Day - MARCH 2, 1957

<a5a90567047c30df68e8354e0bbe15af@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=42298&group=rec.music.rock-pop-r%2Bb.1950s#42298

Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2024 20:54:20 +0000
From: savo...@aol.com (Bruce)
Newsgroups: rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s
 by: Bruce - Fri, 9 Feb 2024 20:54 UTC

Roger wrote:

> Bruce wrote:

>> MARCH 2, 1957

>> https://www.worldradiohistory.com/Archive-All-Music/Cash-Box/50s/1957/CB-1957-03-02.pdf

>> -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

>> First British R&R Film Nears Completion

>> LONDON, ENG.—Jeffrey S. Kruger, co-producer of the first British made
>> rock and roll movie, titled “Rock You Sinners”, announced last week that
>> the film is now almost completed. The past ten weeks have seen the fi-
>> nalizing of all recordings for the film by top names in the British R & R
>> field and shooting is now nearing the final stages. The pic stars Adrienne
>> Scott, Philip Gilbert, Jackie Collins and Colin Croft in the acting department,
>> and such names as Art Baxter and His Rockin’ Sinners; Tony Crombie and
>> the Rockets; The Blackjacks starring Rory Blackwell; and Don Sollash and
>> the Rockin’ Horses in the musical department. Vocalists featured are Joan
>> Small, Dickie Bennett, George Browne and Curly Pat Barry. An extensive
>> tie-up campaign has been arranged by Kruger Enterprises with top British
>> recording companies and a nationwide promotion has been set up to get
>> the flicker and the recordings off to a big start.

>> (Roger, are any of these music acts even halfway decent?)

> Um.....in a word.....NOPE!

>> I just sampled them on Youtube. One is worse than the other! A couple of
>> them are trying to be the UK's Billy Haley & the Comets, but they REALLY
>> suck.

> The movie (I use the word loosely!) is on YouTube (but maybe not everywhere?)

> Can you get this?

> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKapOj0j65Q

Yes, and the music clips are on there too with their own videos. So the whole movie is just 55 minutes?

Re: 2-9-24 - Cash Box Reviews of The Day - MARCH 2, 1957

<565733f3b21931288de93449bb9b8937@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=42304&group=rec.music.rock-pop-r%2Bb.1950s#42304

Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2024 06:31:11 +0000
From: maria...@blueyonder.co.uk (Roger)
Newsgroups: rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s
 by: Roger - Sat, 10 Feb 2024 06:31 UTC

Bruce wrote:

> Roger wrote:

>> Bruce wrote:

>>> MARCH 2, 1957

>>> https://www.worldradiohistory.com/Archive-All-Music/Cash-Box/50s/1957/CB-1957-03-02.pdf

>>> -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

>>> First British R&R Film Nears Completion

>>> LONDON, ENG.—Jeffrey S. Kruger, co-producer of the first British made
>>> rock and roll movie, titled “Rock You Sinners”, announced last week that
>>> the film is now almost completed. The past ten weeks have seen the fi-
>>> nalizing of all recordings for the film by top names in the British R & R
>>> field and shooting is now nearing the final stages. The pic stars Adrienne
>>> Scott, Philip Gilbert, Jackie Collins and Colin Croft in the acting department,
>>> and such names as Art Baxter and His Rockin’ Sinners; Tony Crombie and
>>> the Rockets; The Blackjacks starring Rory Blackwell; and Don Sollash and
>>> the Rockin’ Horses in the musical department. Vocalists featured are Joan
>>> Small, Dickie Bennett, George Browne and Curly Pat Barry. An extensive
>>> tie-up campaign has been arranged by Kruger Enterprises with top British
>>> recording companies and a nationwide promotion has been set up to get
>>> the flicker and the recordings off to a big start.

>>> (Roger, are any of these music acts even halfway decent?)

>> Um.....in a word.....NOPE!

>>> I just sampled them on Youtube. One is worse than the other! A couple of
>>> them are trying to be the UK's Billy Haley & the Comets, but they REALLY
>>> suck.

>> The movie (I use the word loosely!) is on YouTube (but maybe not everywhere?)

>> Can you get this?

>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKapOj0j65Q

> Yes, and the music clips are on there too with their own videos. So the whole movie is just 55 minutes?

I believe so yes. Seems to be the version that showed on TV here