Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2024 15:24:53 +0000
Subject: 2-23-24 - Cash Box Reviews of The Day - MARCH 6, 1954
From: savo...@aol.com (Bruce)
Newsgroups: rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s
 by: Bruce - Fri, 23 Feb 2024 15:24 UTC

MARCH 6, 1954

https://www.worldradiohistory.com/Archive-All-Music/Cash-Box/50s/1954/CB-1954-03-06.pdf

JERRY WALLACE (Allied 5019; 45-5019)

“GEE, BUT I HATE TO GO HOME ALONE" (2:22) [Shapiro, Bernstein ASCAP—Goodwin, Hanley]
A terrific piece of rhythm material is given a top quality performance
by Jerry Wallace. Disk could click with a push.

“THAT’S WHAT A WOMAN CAN DO” (2:59) [Alamo BMI—Shanklin, Shermans]
The versatile artist comes through with another fine showing on this
oomphy piece of song matter. Heinie Beau’s ork assists.

THE CASH BOX SLEEPER OF THE WEEK

BUNNY PAUL (Essex 352; 45-352)
“SUCH A NIGHT” [Raleigh BMI—Chase]
“I’M GONNA HAVE SOME FUN” [Eastwick BMI—Lewis, Smith McRae]

Bunny Paul, who’s been teetering on the brink of a hit with her
previous releases, comes up with a platter that oughta shoot her
into the top artist class. It’s a fascinating rhythm number with a
wild beat that goes under the name of “Such A Night.” Backed by
a Sy Oliver arrangement that really moves, the vibrant thrush
comes over in sock fashion. It’s by far her best offering to date,
and it’s the type of number that should catch immediately. “I’m
Gonna Have Some Fun” is the spiritual handclapper featuring a
chorus with Bunny. We’re all for the top half. Watch it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KEEKm1Iqqs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcaXC3Gz-og

JOHNNIE RAY (Columbia 40200; 4-40200)

“SUCH A NIGHT” (2:20) [Raleigh BMI—Chase]
“DESTINY” (3:13) [Carlyle ASCAP—Alstone, Goodhart, Spier]

Johnnie Ray’s talent as a vocalist was recognized when his
R & B record of “Cry” became a pop success. Now the wailer
gets another piece of tune stuff called “Such A Night” which
was first waxed in the rhythm and blues field. It’s a rocking
rhythm number that should send Ray right up to the top a-
gain. He loads the side with a punched packed vocal. One of
his best showings in a long while. Flip is a beautiful ballad
dubbed “Destiny” which the artist treats with a sincere senti-
mental style. The upper portion has the potential.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPKvMFcAp_E
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0auoK6aZ-U

FRANKIE AVALON ("X"-0006; 4X-0006)

“THE BOOK” [Kassner ASCAP—Gotwald, Roberts]
As The Textor Singers handle the vocal, 11 year old Frankie Avalon dishes
up a superb trumpet backdrop that could make this disk a click. Beautiful
rendition is much like the Calvert version of “Oh, Mein Papa.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APdW0vcuCkA

“TRUMPET SORRENTO”
The youngster comes through with another penetrating trumpet solo on this
ever popular standard while the chorus again supplies the vocal. Pretty deck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfPjqEcqlfQ

LARKS (Lloyds 108; 45-108)

“MARGIE” (2:34) [Fisher & Mills ASCAP—Robinson, Conrad, Davis]
The Larks team up on a handclapping rendition of the great oldie “Margie”
in the same vibrant fashion as the current hit “Marie.” Potent possibilities.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJ4FoKx2bww

“ROCKIN’ IN THE ROCKET ROOM” (2:43) [Halsey ASCAP —Mosley, Manning, Breeskin]
The versatile group comes up with another solid rhythm item that should
also do well in the R & B market. Spiritual flavor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhrkTK8toZg

THE CASH BOX AWARD O' THE WEEK

FAYE ADAMS (Herald 423)

“SAY A PRAYER” (2:20) [Ajax ASCAP—Winkler, Myslels]
“EVERY DAY” (2:40) [Angel BMI—William McLemore]

Faye Adams, “Shake A Hand” girl who shook up the trade and started
a new trend, comes up with her latest. Both sides look like naturals to
follow her previous issues. The upper deck, “Say A Prayer”, is more in
the vein of her earlier hits. Religious lyrics sold in the now familiar and
compelling Faye Adams style. Gal can shout up a storm and does. She’s
sincere, emotional and sings from the heart. The flip, “Every Day”, is
another powerful item sold sincerely by Faye. Item has a somewhat pop
flavor and could be a tremendous piece of material for a pop artist.
Backing and arrangement by Joe Morris is recognizable on both plates.
The distinctive beat which is the Morris trademark keeps the disk on
a high level. Both sides to hit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0Gkh3mo20g
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWT94daqQYI

THE CASH BOX AWARD O' THE WEEK

THE ORIOLES (Jubilee 5137)

“SECRET LOVE” (2:32) [Remick ASCAP—Webster, Fain]
“DON’T GO TO STRANGERS” (2:19) [Jefferson ASCAP—Evans, Mann, Kent]

The Orioles, riding the crest of successive hits, come up a lush
and colorful treatment of the current pop smash, “Secret Love”.
The boys bend beautifully on the rythmic melodious ditty that
has climbed to the top of the pop charts and their reading should
make it a “both ways” hit. The flip, “Don’t Go To Strangers”, is a
slow pretty ballad tenderly chanted in the familiar “Orioles” style.
Guaranteed sales on Oriole disks should get the distribs moving on
this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yElr7oYkbEM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bwmhn-TwTCQ

EARL FOREST (Duke 121)

“OH, WHY” (2:27) [Lion BMI —Earl Forest]
Earl Forest sings a slow southern type blues plaintively
moaning “Why do you treat me this way?” A rhythm
and sax backing helps Forest put over a very strong
side that should break for solid action.

“OUT ON A PARTY” (2:27) [Lion BMI—Earl Forest]
Earl dishes up a quick heat exciter with wild backing
and crazy horns. A foot stomper. Chanter is out on a
wild party all night long.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbnb5FnnQRA

PERCY MAYFIELD (Specialty 485)

“LOOSE LIPS” (1:55) [Venice BMI—Mayfield]
Might be the one to shoot Mayfield up on top again. Item is an infectious
Latin tempo blood raiser with torrid horn backing and exciting rhythm.
Mayfield is good on this side. Watch it closely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQJegD8Bi8w

“I NEED LOVE SO BAD” (2:48) [Venice BMI—Mayfield]
A slow blues moaned downheartedly by Mayfield. When he lost his love he
lost everything he had. A fair platter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9e6AX7gcBKI

BABY FACE (Savoy 1122) (Reissue of 1950 release)

“RED HEADED WOMAN” (2:39) [Crossroads BMI]
Baby Face sings a quick tempo story of his woman. A rocker infectiously sold.
Echo employed to good advantage. Disk should catch sales and spins.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzM6IMZKvUA

“MOONSHINE BABY” (2:37) [Crossroads BMI]
Baby Face sings a slow southern blues on the reverse plate for an ok etching.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJXjruns-3Q

DOROTHY SIMMONS (Imperial 693)

“LEAD ME, GUIDE ME” (3:15) [Commodore]
Dorothy Simmons sings three parts on a slow gospel
item. A tender and compelling reli- gious piece.

“MEET ME IN THE GLORY LAND” (2:20) [Commodore Akers]
The Simmons-Akers Gospel Singers collaborate on a
middle tempo chant. An ok gospel disk.

https://archive.org/details/78_meet-me-in-the-glory-land_dorothy-simmons-simmons-akers-gospel-singers-d-akers_gbia0064469a

ROBERTA MARTIN SINGERS (Apollo 281)

“KEEP ON TRUSTING” (3:05) [P.D.]
The lush voices of the Roberta Martin Singers
etch a slow inspirational item in solid manner.

https://archive.org/details/78_keep-on-trusting_roberta-martin-singers_gbia0281265b

“SINCE I MET JESUS” (3:10) [P.D.]
A similar religious deck is tenderly treated by
the group.

https://archive.org/details/78_since-i-met-jesus_roberta-martin-singers_gbia0281265a

THE PEARLY GATES SPIRITUAL SINGERS (Okeh 18031)

“I KNOW THE LORD LAID HIS HANDS ON ME” (2:25) [Cromwell Music ASCAP—E. Rivers]
The Pearly Gates Spiritual Singers etch a rhythmic quick beat chant
in shouty manner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iyz__Eggbks

“BLESSED BE THY NAME”(2:27) [P.D. W. H. Clark]
The group waxes a slow side inspiringly performed. Lead impressive.
An ok religious deck.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: 2-23-24 - Cash Box Reviews of The Day - MARCH 6, 1954

<6af8071c5a28dae696341b38d0f9233d@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=42611&group=rec.music.rock-pop-r%2Bb.1950s#42611

From: maria...@blueyonder.co.uk (Roger)
Newsgroups: rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s
Subject: Re: 2-23-24 - Cash Box Reviews of The Day - MARCH 6, 1954
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2024 06:30:21 +0000
 by: Roger - Sat, 24 Feb 2024 06:30 UTC

Bruce wrote:

> MARCH 6, 1954

> https://www.worldradiohistory.com/Archive-All-Music/Cash-Box/50s/1954/CB-1954-03-06.pdf

> EARL FOREST (Duke 121)

> “OH, WHY” (2:27) [Lion BMI —Earl Forest]
> Earl Forest sings a slow southern type blues plaintively
> moaning “Why do you treat me this way?” A rhythm
> and sax backing helps Forest put over a very strong
> side that should break for solid action.

Here it is on YT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmXe0E7WY6g