Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2024 17:44:20 +0000
Subject: 3-13-24 - Cash Box Reviews of The Day - JUNE 8, 1957
From: savo...@aol.com (Bruce)
Newsgroups: rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s
 by: Bruce - Wed, 13 Mar 2024 17:44 UTC

JUNE 8, 1957

https://www.worldradiohistory.com/Archive-All-Music/Cash-Box/50s/1957/CB-1957-06-08.pdf

THE CASH BOX DISK OF THE WEEK

THE DIAMONDS (Mercury 71128)

“WORDS OF LOVE” [Nor-Va-Jak BMI—Holley]
“DON’T SAY GOODBYE” [Pure BMI—Stevens, Goodman, Stone]

The sensational Diamonds, well over the million mark with their current smasheroo “Little Darlin’ ”,
follow-up with a fabulous new side that stands a great chance of extending their string to two gold
disks in a row. The tune is titled “Words Of Love” and features many of the hit characteristics pre-
sent in “Little Darlin’ ”. Great latin beat, wonderfully commercial harmony, a recitation that the kids’ll
be wild about and some ace guitar work. All out hit for the rock and roll market. Flip, “Don’t Say
Goodbye” is a jumpin’ R & R item that makes your toes tap. Strong coupling that could be a big chart
rider too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApBO4nsF96w
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dr4QfBzZ460

THE CASH BOX SLEEPER OF THE WEEK

NAT "KING" COLE (Capitol 3737)

“SEND FOR ME” (2:35) [Winneton BMI—Jones]
“MY PERSONAL POSSESSION (2:56) [Roosevelt BMI—Singleton, McCoy]

The “King,” Nat Cole, currently enjoying tremendous success with his fabulous album
“Love Is The Thing,” should meet with the same good fortune on his latest single. One
side, “Send For Me” features Nat in the rock and roll idiom. Terrific reading of a smooth
sailing romantic jumper the youngsters will find tailor-made for their dancing needs.
Commercial stuff for today’s market. Equally delighting is the companion deck “Personal
Possession.” Here the ace lends his dulcet tones to a superbly written romancer with
class. Rich and rewarding performance that should enjoy a long and successful run on
the charts. Big money-making coupler.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40nHZ5rxEGE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lws9ZN459vI

THE CREW-CUTS (Mercury 71125)

“SUSIE-Q” (2:08) [Arc BMI—Hawkins, Lewis, Broadwater]
“SUCH A SHAME” (2:30) [Meridian BMI—Hill, Stevenson]

The Crew-Cuts put two exciting sides back-to-back for their most powerful release in quite
some time. Both items are aimed directly at the younger set and should meet with great
approval in this area. “Susie-Q” is a fast-rising rock and roller treated to an exciting pop
reading by the quartet. Swinging arrangement with heaps of guitar and rhythm to keep
the side swinging from beginning to end. The coupler is a fascinating new tune called “Such
A Shame.” An emotional love song with an exciting galloping tempo backdrop. Here again
the boys excel. Upper half has the edge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4uwJ7-vWJc
https://youtu.be/FCF9RWEeSiA?t=126

THE CASH BOX SLEEPER OF THE WEEK

CONNIE FRANCIS (MGM 12490)

“EIGHTEEN” (2:12) [Meridian BMI—Boobis, Nephew]
“FADED ORCHID” (2:15) [Roosevelt BMI—Stone]

Connie Francis, a talented lark destined for stardom, has hit upon
the piece of material that should send her over the top. The number
that should establish her as a big name is tagged “Eighteen.” It’s an
exciting rock and roller describing the thoughts and feelings of young
lady who’s just turned eighteen. Extremely unusual side presented with
great emotion against a stirring R & R rhythm accompaniment excellently
supplied by a chorus and Sid Bass’ Orchestra. Potent side sure to have a
special meaning to millions of teenagers. Flip, “Faded Orchid” is a lovely
romancer displaying the lark’s outstanding multiple voicing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzJ4W1O8CVQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82fm7n8o_nU

JERRY LEE LEWIS (Sun 267)

“WHOLE LOT OF SHAKIN’ GOING ON” [Marlyn BMI—Williams, David]
“IT’LL BE ME” [Knox BMI—Clement]

Jerry Lee Lewis, who indicated that he’s of star caliber with his rockin’ record
of “Crazy Arms,” has in his latest release the material that will skyrocket him
into the spotlight in the pop, country and rhythm & blues fields. The lad is a
sensational performer out of the rock-a-billy school. He hands in an ultra com-
mercial job as he belts out a house-rockin’ side tagged “Whole Lot Of Shakin’
Going On.” Side has a great beat. It should be on the charts in all fields. Flip is
another exciting side presented against a skiffle beat. Lewis has a great style
the kids’ll love.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXQLfrPEV4w
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfgu2XBmqOo

RAY COLEMAN (Arcade 147)

“ROCK, CHICKEN, ROCK” (2:40) [Valley Brook ASCAP—Keefer, Keefer, Haley]
A sizzling rocker is energetically belted by Ray Coleman and the Skyrockets.
This noholds barred release is tailor-made for the kids.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veariCwWlDk

“JUKEBOX ROCK AND ROLL” (l:50) [Jack Howard BMI—Cole- man, Zario, Costello, Roccia]
Just as the title implies, this is a wide open juke box creation done with lots
of vigor by Coleman and the combo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lkfUyr2xSo

SAM BUTERA (Prep 105)

“TEN LITTLE WOMEN” (2:09) [Southern ASCAP — Noland]
Sam Butera and his boys tear thru an exciting rock and roller loaded with teen appeal.
Exciting hard-driver with a strong vocal and ace sax work by Butera. Commercial side
to watch closely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvJRkzxCoLs

“LOVE CHARM” (2:26) [Sherman BMI—Stanley]
Another exciting arrangement of a rock and roller that’s starting to show some action.
When tune clicks, this rhythmic treatment will bite off a good share of the sales.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3vwKY5o5hM

ELLA FITZGERALD (Verve 10050)

“MANHATTAN” (2:47) [E. B. Marks ASCAP—Rodgers, Hart]
Taken from her 2 LP package devoted to the songs of Rodgers and Hart,
Ella Fitzgerald offers a sprightly vocal on the witty classic about New York.
Sure to keep deejay turntables very active.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJsa0OfWcGA

“LET’S FALL IN LOVE” (3:00) [Harms ASCAP — Porter]
Ella Slyly recites the extraordinarily clever lyrics of Cole Porter’s “Let’s Do
It.” The side is taken from another 2 disk set, the music of Porter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=denwnl4ZY94

The Cash Box Award o’ the Week

LITTLE RICHARD (Specialty 606)

“JENNY, JENNY” (2:00) [Venice BMI—Johnson, Penniman]
“MISS ANN” (2:05) [Venice BMI—Johnson, Penniman]

Here’s two pre-tested items taken from Little Richard’s hot selling album— “Jenny, Jenny” and “Miss Ann”.
Both decks are given the individualized shouting of the sensational coast singer. Tho we lean ever so lightly to “Jenny, Jenny”, Little Richard rocks out both decks with his numerous vocal tricks that make any of his etchings so standout. “Jenny, Jenny” is reminiscent of his former hit, “Slippin’ and Slidin’ ”. It is a quick beat rocker in which the atomic shouter shows off best. The coupling, “Miss Ann”, is the more restrained of the two. It is a middle beat rocker that has to get plenty of attention. It is very possible that Richard has not “one”—but
“two” hits here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLIlRvEa3Ls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOs9VTKeR9c

THE CADILLACS (Josie 820)

“MY GIRL FRIEND” (1:55) [Benell BMI—Powell, Navarro]
“BROKEN HEART” (2:46) [Benell BMI—Powell, Navarro]

The Cadillacs rock out what could be their strongest release yet in a quick beat racer
titled, “My Girl Friend”. The deck takes off from the opening note, grabs your attention
immediately and keeps a headlock on it until they sign off one minute fifty-five seconds
later. An effervescent, bubbly tune—it is given a standout treatment by The Cadillacs
complete with all their interjected Cadillacisms. This deck looks like a big summer hit.
The coupling, “Broken Heart”, is a straightaway treatment of a lovely, slow beat ballad.
Delightfully and tenderly done. Pleasing and relaxing listening—but for the sales action
we look to “My Girl Friend”.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnaTWXFJFT0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m68qsQersQc

EARL BOSTIC
(King 5056) D . “SHE’S FUNNY THAT WAY” (2:25) [Robbins ASCAP — Daniels, Whiting]
On this side Bostic turns in his usual top-flight performance on the standard lovely. Dreamy,
melodic, and beaty the way the kids demand it. The big side that should grab lots of attention.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: 3-13-24 - Cash Box Reviews of The Day - JUNE 8, 1957

<OLmIN.96832$zF_1.9804@fx18.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=42781&group=rec.music.rock-pop-r%2Bb.1950s#42781

Subject: Re: 3-13-24 - Cash Box Reviews of The Day - JUNE 8, 1957
Newsgroups: rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s
From: stevemc...@sbcglobal.net (Steve Mc)
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2024 12:03:09 -0700
 by: Steve Mc - Wed, 13 Mar 2024 19:03 UTC

On 3/13/2024 10:44 AM, Bruce wrote:
> JERRY LEE LEWIS (Sun 267)
>
> “WHOLE LOT OF SHAKIN’ GOING ON” [Marlyn BMI—Williams, David]
>

> Jerry Lee Lewis, who indicated that he’s of star caliber with his
> rockin’ record of “Crazy Arms,” has in his latest release the material
> that will skyrocket him into the spotlight in the pop, country and
> rhythm & blues fields. The lad is a sensational performer out of the
> rock-a-billy school. He hands in an ultra com-
> mercial job as he belts out a house-rockin’ side tagged “Whole Lot Of
> Shakin’ Going On.” Side has a great beat. It should be on the charts
> in all fields.

I had read or heard somewhere that John  Lennon had said this is the
greatest RnR record of all time. I mentioned that to the tour guide at
Sun Studios a few  years ago. I wonder if he ever shared that
information on his future tours.

--
Steve Mc

DNA to SBC to respond

Re: 3-13-24 - Cash Box Reviews of The Day - JUNE 8, 1957

<162b19449165af4ca0fdf833d8c12639@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=42782&group=rec.music.rock-pop-r%2Bb.1950s#42782

Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2024 21:27:03 +0000
From: maria...@blueyonder.co.uk (Roger)
Newsgroups: rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s
 by: Roger - Wed, 13 Mar 2024 21:27 UTC

Bruce wrote:

> JUNE 8, 1957

> https://www.worldradiohistory.com/Archive-All-Music/Cash-Box/50s/1957/CB-1957-06-08.pdf

> THE CASH BOX DISK OF THE WEEK

> THE DIAMONDS (Mercury 71128)

> “WORDS OF LOVE” [Nor-Va-Jak BMI—Holley]
>
> The sensational Diamonds, well over the million mark with their current smasheroo “Little Darlin’ ”,
> follow-up with a fabulous new side that stands a great chance of extending their string to two gold
> disks in a row. The tune is titled “Words Of Love” and features many of the hit characteristics pre-
> sent in “Little Darlin’ ”. Great latin beat, wonderfully commercial harmony, a recitation that the > > >
> kids’ll be wild about and some ace guitar work. All out hit for the rock and roll market.

> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApBO4nsF96w

You could win bets with this one - naming the first released version of "Words Of Love".

Yep,The Diamonds got there first---a whole month before Buddy Holly. Tho he obviously recorded it first the record company were not on the ball and stupidly let Dave Somerville & co get their version in the stores first

> ELLA FITZGERALD (Verve 10050)

> “MANHATTAN” (2:47) [E. B. Marks ASCAP—Rodgers, Hart]
> Taken from her 2 LP package devoted to the songs of Rodgers and Hart,
> Ella Fitzgerald offers a sprightly vocal on the witty classic about New York.
> Sure to keep deejay turntables very active.

> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJsa0OfWcGA

The famous Rodgers & Hart classic is performed to absolute perfection here by the great lady.

It's taken from her "Rodgers & Hart Songbook" LP set and it's also my favorite song about one of my most favorite cities I've ever been privileged to visit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZoIlDl8EjM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kg1fM449WD0

> THE CHARTS (Everlast 5001)

> “ZOOP” (2:21) [Everlast BMI—Cooper, Johnson]
> The Charts team on a sprightly quick beat bouncer. Infectious joyous bouncer
> with a couple of gimmicks that give the tune something extra. Deck deserves
> a good look. Exposure could create some action.

> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvLZLPiwzVQ

> “DESERIE” (2:38) [Everlast BMI — Cooper, Johnson]
> Slow beat, rhythm ballad on which The Charts work well. Romancer with a fal-
> setto lead giving the number an attention getting quality. Right in the vein
> of what the kids want. Two effective sides that should be watched.

> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2f-EqAebLeY

Odd that CB choose to treat "Zoop" here as the "A" side. There is nothing on the record itself to suggest this is the case. The label matrix numbers definitely suggest "Deserie" as the top side.

And the clincher is the way the record was advertised in both CB and BB with "Deserie" way out in front

Re: 3-13-24 - Cash Box Reviews of The Day - JUNE 8, 1957

<5opIN.96835$zF_1.43203@fx18.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=42784&group=rec.music.rock-pop-r%2Bb.1950s#42784

Newsgroups: rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s
From: stevemc...@sbcglobal.net (Steve Mc)
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2024 15:02:40 -0700
 by: Steve Mc - Wed, 13 Mar 2024 22:02 UTC

On 3/13/2024 2:27 PM, Roger wrote:
>> THE CHARTS (Everlast 5001)
>
>> “ZOOP” (2:21) [Everlast BMI—Cooper, Johnson] The Charts team on a
>> sprightly quick beat bouncer. Infectious joyous bouncer with a couple
>> of gimmicks that give the tune something extra. Deck deserves a good
>> look. Exposure could create some action.
>
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvLZLPiwzVQ
>

> Odd that CB choose to treat "Zoop" here as the "A" side. There is
> nothing on the record itself to suggest this is the case. The label
> matrix numbers definitely suggest "Deserie" as the top side.
>
> And the clincher is the way the record was advertised in both CB and
> BB with "Deserie" way out in front

My Zoop won November 2022 and the record of the year.

 Thankyou thankyouverymuch

And to corroborate what Roger's saying, this is what Bruce said.

Stevie's "Zoop" is the RECORD OF THE YEAR for 2022. The flip side of a
record that barely made the Billboard Top 100, so it's pretty obscure.

--
Steve Mc

DNA to SBC to respond

Re: 3-13-24 - Cash Box Reviews of The Day - JUNE 8, 1957

<s5c4vihjv35r125imfk30no1l1gj0hv470@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=42785&group=rec.music.rock-pop-r%2Bb.1950s#42785

From: coo...@thecoolgroove.com (Jim Colegrove)
Newsgroups: rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2024 18:03:40 -0500
 by: Jim Colegrove - Wed, 13 Mar 2024 23:03 UTC

On Wed, 13 Mar 2024 15:02:40 -0700, Steve Mc
<stevemc209@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>On 3/13/2024 2:27 PM, Roger wrote:
>>> THE CHARTS (Everlast 5001)
>>
>>> “ZOOP” (2:21) [Everlast BMI—Cooper, Johnson] The Charts team on a
>>> sprightly quick beat bouncer. Infectious joyous bouncer with a couple
>>> of gimmicks that give the tune something extra. Deck deserves a good
>>> look. Exposure could create some action.
>>
>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvLZLPiwzVQ
>>

>> Odd that CB choose to treat "Zoop" here as the "A" side. There is
>> nothing on the record itself to suggest this is the case. The label
>> matrix numbers definitely suggest "Deserie" as the top side.
>>
>> And the clincher is the way the record was advertised in both CB and
>> BB with "Deserie" way out in front
>
>My Zoop won November 2022 and the record of the year.
>
>  Thankyou thankyouverymuch
>
>And to corroborate what Roger's saying, this is what Bruce said.
>
>Stevie's "Zoop" is the RECORD OF THE YEAR for 2022. The flip side of a
>record that barely made the Billboard Top 100, so it's pretty obscure.

Here's to Steve!