Why would anyone want to be called "Later"?

arts / rec.music.beatles / Re: John, May Pang, and Sutton Place

SubjectAuthor
* John, May Pang, and Sutton PlaceNorbert K
+- Re: John, May Pang, and Sutton PlaceNorbert K
`* Re: John, May Pang, and Sutton PlacePamela Brown
 `- Re: John, May Pang, and Sutton PlaceNorbert K

1
John, May Pang, and Sutton Place

<d45aa333-4dd0-47ab-b055-8e5b36edf6e5n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=4274&group=rec.music.beatles#4274

Newsgroups: rec.music.beatles
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2023 07:17:52 -0800 (PST)
Subject: John, May Pang, and Sutton Place
From: norbertk...@gmail.com (Norbert K)
 by: Norbert K - Thu, 26 Jan 2023 15:17 UTC

According to May Pang, she and John agreed to move into a new apartment in the summer of 1974. Record Plant manager Eddie Germano told John that there was a vacancy in the apartment house he lived in -- a twelve-storied building that overlooked NYC's East River. Germano got the management to reduce the rent from $800 to $750 a month, and Lennon accepted the deal.

According to Goldman, this residence was "the one of which every New Yorker dreams, a charming little penthouse on Sutton Place at 434 East 52nd Street. John's building was the last before the street comes to a dead end overlooking the East River at River House, the poshest address on the East Side. Lennon's most famous neighbor on the block was a woman who had always fascinated him, Greta Garbo."

John's son Julian visited for a time, and May says that "During the days I had decided to devote my efforts to making our apartment a wonderful home for John and Julian. I got a cookbook, and on the first Sunday after we moved in, I started a ritual that John adored. I made an English Sunday breakfast for the three of us. The breakfast consisted of bacon and eggs, stewed tomatoes, beans on toast, and fried potatoes. John loved black pudding -- I found a butcher who had that special kind of sausage -- and I fried it for him. I also found a newsstand that got the English newspapers, and I had them delivered to the apartment. After breakfast, we drank lots of coffee and read the newspapers."

It was during this time that Lennon recorded Walls and Bridges, which was out in the States in September of 1974. IMO, this was the stablest and most productive period of Lennon's post-Beatles (if not post-"eating acid like candy" in the mid-60s) existence.

Re: John, May Pang, and Sutton Place

<eaca21b3-d0cd-449a-9a8e-cc447e7cbb75n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=4275&group=rec.music.beatles#4275

Newsgroups: rec.music.beatles
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2023 09:00:20 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: John, May Pang, and Sutton Place
From: norbertk...@gmail.com (Norbert K)
 by: Norbert K - Thu, 26 Jan 2023 17:00 UTC

On Thursday, January 26, 2023 at 8:03:37 AM UTC-8, Norbert K wrote:
> According to May Pang, she and John agreed to move into a new apartment in the summer of 1974. Record Plant manager Eddie Germano told John that there was a vacancy in the apartment house he lived in -- a twelve-storied building that overlooked NYC's East River. Germano got the management to reduce the rent from $800 to $750 a month, and Lennon accepted the deal.
>
> According to Goldman, this residence was "the one of which every New Yorker dreams, a charming little penthouse on Sutton Place at 434 East 52nd Street. John's building was the last before the street comes to a dead end overlooking the East River at River House, the poshest address on the East Side. Lennon's most famous neighbor on the block was a woman who had always fascinated him, Greta Garbo."
>
> John's son Julian visited for a time, and May says that "During the days I had decided to devote my efforts to making our apartment a wonderful home for John and Julian. I got a cookbook, and on the first Sunday after we moved in, I started a ritual that John adored. I made an English Sunday breakfast for the three of us. The breakfast consisted of bacon and eggs, stewed tomatoes, beans on toast, and fried potatoes. John loved black pudding -- I found a butcher who had that special kind of sausage -- and I fried it for him. I also found a newsstand that got the English newspapers, and I had them delivered to the apartment. After breakfast, we drank lots of coffee and read the newspapers."
>
> It was during this time that Lennon recorded Walls and Bridges, which was out in the States in September of 1974. IMO, this was the stablest and most productive period of Lennon's post-Beatles (if not post-"eating acid like candy" in the mid-60s) existence.

Coincidentally, one of Greta Garbo's few confidantes at this time was Sam Green -- the man who later engineered the Lennons' presence at Jimmy Carter's inaugural gala and with whom Yoko Ono fell in love in 1979. Green and Garbo would go on long walks together just about every day. Once, Garbo asked Green to escort her into an adult bookstore. After she finished browsing, she said to Green: "Oh, the sex thing. I'm so glad I've left that part of my life behind long ago."

Re: John, May Pang, and Sutton Place

<44a89771-50dc-43d9-b84e-51b88d9ddd95n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=4276&group=rec.music.beatles#4276

Newsgroups: rec.music.beatles
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2023 13:08:25 -0800 (PST)
From: pamelaj...@gmail.com (Pamela Brown)
 by: Pamela Brown - Thu, 26 Jan 2023 21:08 UTC

On Thursday, January 26, 2023 at 10:03:37 AM UTC-6, Norbert K wrote:
> According to May Pang, she and John agreed to move into a new apartment in the summer of 1974. Record Plant manager Eddie Germano told John that there was a vacancy in the apartment house he lived in -- a twelve-storied building that overlooked NYC's East River. Germano got the management to reduce the rent from $800 to $750 a month, and Lennon accepted the deal.
>
> According to Goldman, this residence was "the one of which every New Yorker dreams, a charming little penthouse on Sutton Place at 434 East 52nd Street. John's building was the last before the street comes to a dead end overlooking the East River at River House, the poshest address on the East Side. Lennon's most famous neighbor on the block was a woman who had always fascinated him, Greta Garbo."
>
> John's son Julian visited for a time, and May says that "During the days I had decided to devote my efforts to making our apartment a wonderful home for John and Julian. I got a cookbook, and on the first Sunday after we moved in, I started a ritual that John adored. I made an English Sunday breakfast for the three of us. The breakfast consisted of bacon and eggs, stewed tomatoes, beans on toast, and fried potatoes. John loved black pudding -- I found a butcher who had that special kind of sausage -- and I fried it for him. I also found a newsstand that got the English newspapers, and I had them delivered to the apartment. After breakfast, we drank lots of coffee and read the newspapers."
>
> It was during this time that Lennon recorded Walls and Bridges, which was out in the States in September of 1974. IMO, this was the stablest and most productive period of Lennon's post-Beatles (if not post-"eating acid like candy" in the mid-60s) existence.
I lived at 500 e77th Street for two years, in an apartment looking down on the East River. It was wonderful. I also loved Sutton Place...thinking of Garbo...there is charming old movie I liked, Garbo Talks, with Ann Bancroft...

Re: John, May Pang, and Sutton Place

<bdaaf698-3d19-4fe0-8465-36a56e8972b8n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=4280&group=rec.music.beatles#4280

Newsgroups: rec.music.beatles
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2023 04:32:42 -0800 (PST)
From: norbertk...@gmail.com (Norbert K)
 by: Norbert K - Fri, 27 Jan 2023 12:32 UTC

On Thursday, January 26, 2023 at 1:08:27 PM UTC-8, pamel...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Thursday, January 26, 2023 at 10:03:37 AM UTC-6, Norbert K wrote:
> > According to May Pang, she and John agreed to move into a new apartment in the summer of 1974. Record Plant manager Eddie Germano told John that there was a vacancy in the apartment house he lived in -- a twelve-storied building that overlooked NYC's East River. Germano got the management to reduce the rent from $800 to $750 a month, and Lennon accepted the deal.
> >
> > According to Goldman, this residence was "the one of which every New Yorker dreams, a charming little penthouse on Sutton Place at 434 East 52nd Street. John's building was the last before the street comes to a dead end overlooking the East River at River House, the poshest address on the East Side. Lennon's most famous neighbor on the block was a woman who had always fascinated him, Greta Garbo."
> >
> > John's son Julian visited for a time, and May says that "During the days I had decided to devote my efforts to making our apartment a wonderful home for John and Julian. I got a cookbook, and on the first Sunday after we moved in, I started a ritual that John adored. I made an English Sunday breakfast for the three of us. The breakfast consisted of bacon and eggs, stewed tomatoes, beans on toast, and fried potatoes. John loved black pudding -- I found a butcher who had that special kind of sausage -- and I fried it for him. I also found a newsstand that got the English newspapers, and I had them delivered to the apartment. After breakfast, we drank lots of coffee and read the newspapers."
> >
> > It was during this time that Lennon recorded Walls and Bridges, which was out in the States in September of 1974. IMO, this was the stablest and most productive period of Lennon's post-Beatles (if not post-"eating acid like candy" in the mid-60s) existence.
> I lived at 500 e77th Street for two years, in an apartment looking down on the East River. It was wonderful. I also loved Sutton Place...thinking of Garbo...there is charming old movie I liked, Garbo Talks, with Ann Bancroft...

I heard about that movie.

I got a few looks at the outside of John and May's former building using Google Street View. What a beautiful-looking neighborhood. Imagine living there at that time for $750 a month?