Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2024 15:28:21 +0000
Subject: 3-22-24 - Cash Box Reviews of The Day - JANUARY 28, 1950
From: savo...@aol.com (Bruce)
Newsgroups: rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s
 by: Bruce - Fri, 22 Mar 2024 15:28 UTC

JANUARY 28, 1950

https://www.worldradiohistory.com/Archive-All-Music/Cash-Box/50s/1950/CB-1950-01-28.pdf

SLEEPER OF THE WEEK

KING COLE and TRIO (Capitol 818)

"It Was So Good While It Lasted" (2:43)
"Bang Bang Boogie" (3:13)

King Cole and his group are always sure to step out with a top pair of sides,
and certainly do so in this coupling. Both tunes are tailor made for the phono
trade, and have a ton of winning potential about them. Top deck, titled “It Was
So Good While It Lasted” has Nat in the limelight, purring like a kitten to the
smooth strains of this glowing ballad. Orchestral background is furnished on the
side by maestro Pete Rugulo, with the refrain echoing splendidly. It’s a tender
tune, one that makes you stop and pay close attention. Nat’s phrasing of the
comely _ lyrics is simply wonderful. Ditty is sure to touch the romance crowd,
and result in peak play for music operators across the land. On the other end
with “Bang Bang Boogie,” Nat and the Trio make mellow music with this cute
bit. It’s a light hearted ballad novelty, with Nat in the vocal spot and the group
turning in some excellent musical tricks. Song gets better as it goes along, and
is sure to attract wide attention among Nat’s many fans. Both ends of this cookie
should wear white in the phono—ops should latch on!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLX21U_t5xs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBt5PgsNZu4

BILLIE HOLIDAY (Decca 24857)

"Please Tell Me Now" (3:08)
"Somebody's On My Mind" (2:52)

Thrush Billie Holiday comes up with a pair that hold loads of promise for music ops.
Her superb rendition of “Please Tell Me Now,” a slowly woven enticing ballad, should
make ops and fans alike perk up and pay attention. Gal’s pipes handle the lyrics in
her own comely vocal style, with a background of sweet strings adding to the luster
and polish of the tune. The flip weaves in the same tempo and has Billie turning in
another great performance on an equally good ballad. We like the top deck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iiaM7IP56h8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFJE_LlmCb0

*AWARD O' THE WEEK*

LIONEL HAMPTON ORCH. (Decca 24855)

"Rag Mop" (2:49)
"For You My Love" (2:22)

Blue ribbon winner in the offing for music ops is this latest cookie by the Lionel Hampton ork.
Music ops are gonna double up on this disk, for both ends of the platter are winners. The “Rag
Mop” side has already stirred up music fans and ops alike, with this version sure to blossom out
as a grade A platter. Vocal refrain on the side bv The Hamptones is mellow throughout the side,
with Hamp and the ork blending smoothly in the instrumental department in the background.
Tune has loads of drive as rendered here, and should win a tremendous round of approval and
jitney for ops. Bounce tempo behind the tune makes you keep in step with the melody all the
way. On the other end with “For You My Love,” piper Sonny Parker steps to the limelight and
offers ops a socko rendition of this current click piece. Tempo is up all the way, with the Hamp
ork giving off with loads of wonderful rhythm. It’s a sure fire nickel nabber, and rates a top spot
in music ops machines. Grab this biscuit by the boxful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96VOnOtf8SM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JeLWLhBTS8

PAUL GAYTEN ORCH. (Regal 3245)

"You Shouldn't" (2:50)
"Cook's Tour" (2:43)

Paul Gayten and his crew on tap with some new sides, and the echo of “You Shouldn’t”
and “Cook’s Tour in the offing for music operators. Both sides show the Gayten gang in
fine style throughout, with the top deck leading the way. Vocal refrain by the maestro is
pleasant enough, with the lyrics ringing true. Flip is an instrumental bit that should
well with Paul’s many fans. Disk should prove to be worthy to music ops.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0HrXtSgp24
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUH4eiEm7kY

SUNNYLAND SLIM (Apollo 416)

"Bad Times" (2:46)
"I'm Just A Lonesome Man" (2:45)

Pair of blues tunes by Sunnyland Slim, and the coupling of “Bad Times and
“I’m Just A Lonesome Man” headed music ops way. Both sides of this platter
make for effective coin culling, and should be greeted by music ops with warm
reception. Tempo of the pair is moderate, with Slim’s vocal coming thru in fine
style. Disk should do more than earn its keep in the boxes. Ops listen in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2wW9P8rP6M
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRi-esYHG2A

THE BALLADEERS (Jubilee 5021)

"Red Sails In The Sunset" (2:44)
"It Ain't Right" (2:50)

New vocal group bows on Jubilee wax, with the refrain of “Red Sails In The Sunset” and
“It Ain’t Right” seeping thru the platter. Harmony this group displays is top notch right
from the very start. They turn in a wonderful job on the top deck, a well known standard.
The flip picks up in tempo a bit, with the lyrics spinning around the title. Side to ride with
is “Red Sails In The Sunset.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHBpSjiP5lI

THE FOUR TUNES (RCA Victor 22-0058)

"I'm Just A Fool In Love" (2:53)
"The Lonesome Road" (2:43)

Pair of sides by The Four Tunes, and the set up of “I’m Just A Fool In Love” and
“The Lonesome Road” in the offing for music operators. The vocal group turn in
an effective performance here, and show their style to high light on both sides.
Top deck is a pleasant enough blues ballad, while the flip is a standard that has
long won music fans acclaim. The platter should hold its own in the boxes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fK6KVrCHl84
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_v5FQ79DuaQ

ROY MILTON (Specialty 349)

"My Sweetheart" (2:47)
"Information Blues" (2:38)

Long missing from the phono spotlight, Roy Milton and his Solid Senders come up with
a disk that should boom them into the limelight once again. Top deck is the side we like
here. Titled “My Sweetheart,” Roy and the group give out with some mellow music to set
the stage for juke box play. Disk is a juke box natural, and should reap harvest for music
ops. The flip is just as cute, and has a set of lyrics that weave about the title. “My Sweet-
heart” should nab loads of silver.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoZ_FgWPeps
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rPbad__Ozo

FATS DOMINO (Imperial 5058)

"The Fat Man" (2:33)
"Detroit City Blues" (2:35)

Pair of sides by Fats Domino that seem to be sure-fire juke box material, are these
tagged “The Fat Man” and “Detroit City Blues.” It’s the top deck that should go wild
in the boxes. Ditty is already kicking up a storm, and should spread like wildfire. Disk
has the tint of coin play all about it, and is a must for music ops. The flip is just what
the title indicates, and has Fats turning in another great performance. “The Fat Man”
for the moola.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIz1cPfTRW4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDM7a8ccE5o

Re: 3-22-24 - Cash Box Reviews of The Day - JANUARY 28, 1950

<80ea3d3671c407b286c3ff86de630230@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=42863&group=rec.music.rock-pop-r%2Bb.1950s#42863

Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2024 22:33:24 +0000
From: maria...@blueyonder.co.uk (Roger)
Newsgroups: rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s
 by: Roger - Fri, 22 Mar 2024 22:33 UTC

Bruce wrote:

> JANUARY 28, 1950

> https://www.worldradiohistory.com/Archive-All-Music/Cash-Box/50s/1950/CB-1950-01-28.pdf

> THE BALLADEERS (Jubilee 5021)

> "Red Sails In The Sunset" (2:44)

> New vocal group bows on Jubilee wax, with the refrain of “Red Sails In The Sunset” and
> “It Ain’t Right” seeping thru the platter. Harmony this group displays is top notch right
> from the very start. They turn in a wonderful job on the top deck, a well known standard.

YT CLIP Added

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfG25omH5mo

I believe this is another one that slipped thru Samp's review net isn't it?

Re: 3-22-24 - Cash Box Reviews of The Day - JANUARY 28, 1950

<e2f9a2e4b5a5bf8be3a735017411c8dc@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=42864&group=rec.music.rock-pop-r%2Bb.1950s#42864

Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2024 22:39:30 +0000
From: savo...@aol.com (Bruce)
Newsgroups: rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s
 by: Bruce - Fri, 22 Mar 2024 22:39 UTC

Roger wrote:

> Bruce wrote:

>> JANUARY 28, 1950

>> https://www.worldradiohistory.com/Archive-All-Music/Cash-Box/50s/1950/CB-1950-01-28.pdf

>> THE BALLADEERS (Jubilee 5021)

>> "Red Sails In The Sunset" (2:44)

>> New vocal group bows on Jubilee wax, with the refrain of “Red Sails In The Sunset” and
>> “It Ain’t Right” seeping thru the platter. Harmony this group displays is top notch right
>> from the very start. They turn in a wonderful job on the top deck, a well known standard.

> YT CLIP Added

> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfG25omH5mo

> I believe this is another one that slipped thru Samp's review net isn't it?

I can see him claiming that the "Red Sails" side is pop with the 2 girls in the group, but "It Ain't Right" should have ben reviewed.