Adapt. Enjoy. Survive.

arts / rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s / 3-28-24 - Cash Box Reviews of The Day - JUNE 18, 1955

SubjectAuthor
* 3-28-24 - Cash Box Reviews of The Day - JUNE 18, 1955Bruce
+* Re: 3-28-24 - Cash Box Reviews of The Day - JUNE 18, 1955RWC
|`- Re: 3-28-24 - Cash Box Reviews of The Day - JUNE 18, 1955Bruce
`* Re: 3-28-24 - Cash Box Reviews of The Day - JUNE 18, 1955Roger
 `* Re: 3-28-24 - Cash Box Reviews of The Day - JUNE 18, 1955Bruce
  `- Re: 3-28-24 - Cash Box Reviews of The Day - JUNE 18, 1955Roger

1
3-28-24 - Cash Box Reviews of The Day - JUNE 18, 1955

<8aa506c9a9c09975c3b0d88c3bcf4b6c@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=42909&group=rec.music.rock-pop-r%2Bb.1950s#42909

Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2024 14:56:12 +0000
Subject: 3-28-24 - Cash Box Reviews of The Day - JUNE 18, 1955
From: savo...@aol.com (Bruce)
Newsgroups: rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s
 by: Bruce - Thu, 28 Mar 2024 14:56 UTC

JUNE 18, 1955

https://www.worldradiohistory.com/Archive-All-Music/Cash-Box/50s/1955/CB-1955-06-18.pdf

LES PAUL & MARY FORD (Capitol 3165; F-3165)

“HUMMING BIRD” [Ross Jungnickel ASCAP—Robertson, Robertson]
“GOODBYE MY LOVE” (2:51) [Leeds ASCAP—Copeland, Corb, Greene]

A new tune that has all the ear- marks of a grade “A” success, hits the disk market this week.
On this platter, Les Paul and Mary Ford are the stars. The tune is an exciting, beaty number
with a folk song flavor and goes under the title “Humming Bird.” It’s an interesting love song
that has a refreshing quality about it. It’s not the run of-the-mill stuff. Les, as usual, is great
on the guitar, and Mary does a tremendous job of dubbing in the background for her own lead
voice. A big side. Flip “Goodbye My Love,” is a soft, slow, easy- moving ballad. Sentimental piece
of material. Top half is the one to watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDlNvl3cWqs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBgbBJxK7Ks

BOYD BENNETT (King 1470; 45-1470)

“SEVENTEEN” [Lois BMI—Young, Gorman, Bennett]
Boyd Bennett has that Bill Haley drive on this rhythmic rendition of a powerhouse
rocker. Big Moe does a strong job on the vocal. Teenagers will love the beat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaojBPhJ2vU

“LITTLE OLE YOU-ALL” [Lois BMI—Young, Roy, Bennett]
Boyd takes over the vocal chores on this jump deck. Doesn’t come off as exciting
as the top half.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqzzg6lytls

*AWARD O' THE WEEK*

NAPPY BROWN (Savoy 1162)

“PIDDILY PATTER PATTER” (2:35)
“THERE’LL COME A DAY” (2:42)

Nappy Brown, who became a star overnight with his “Don’t Be Angry” is no flash in the pan
as evidenced by his follow up. The top side, from where we sit, is “Piddily Patter”. Tune is a
moderate rocker with plenty of excitement and flavor. Brown has his own individual style of
presentation that will be undoubtedly recognized as soon as it is exposed to the public. The
flip, “There’ll Come A Day”, is very similar to “Don’t Be Angry”. It is an excellent side and
will be favored by many. It may suffer, tho, because of its lack of novelty after “Angry”. Two
good sides, with “Piddily Patter” a hit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pwyf3XTYeO8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FEM49e0FQ8

BO DIDDLEY (Checker 819)

“DIDDLEY DADDY” (2:41) [Arc BMI—McDaniels]
“SHE’S FINE, SHE’S MINE” (2:47) [Arc BMI—McDaniels]

Bo Diddley has a strong follow up to his “Bo Diddley” which established the artist in
both r & b and pop. It is “Diddley Daddy”, an item very much in the same vein, yet
different enough and with sufficient strength to make it big. It is well presented and
the down country sound is flavorsome and appealing. Should go far in solidifying Bo
Diddley as an artist of top rank. The flip, “She’s Fine, She’s Mine”, is a slow beat chant
in which Diddley wails about his girl’s unfaithfulness. Very strong beat and a good side
that is no throwaway. Watch both sides carefully—tho we lean to “Diddley Daddy”.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZWsCrlVPKg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtIqNkxtJPM

PEE WEE CRAYTON (Imperial 5353)

“BE FAITHFUL” (1:55) [Commodore BMI—Crayton]
Pee Wee Crayton sings a western type vocal of a bouncing middle beat blues. So
heavily western flavored that it should appeal more to that market than r & b.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAzNIhU0MaU

“YOURS TRULY” (2:20) [Commodore BMI — Bartholomew]
Crayton chants a middle beat jump side with an appealing vocal and easy styling.
Side moves well and could rack up strong sales.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-4qA32Q6r0

THE SPIDERS (Imperial 689)

“FOR A THRILL” (2:18) [Commodore BMI—Smith, West]
The Spiders blend mellow and pop style as they present the slow beat ballad lovely.
It is a sentimental, old Ink- Spots type of treatment. Very pretty, well done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jAaC6QX6U4

“BELLS IN MY HEART” (2:11) [Commodore BMI—Robichaux, Durand, Matassa]
Another ballad blues with tender lyrics. The Spiders give it the same pop type treat-
ment and the deck comes off easy to listen to, tho it lacks the punch of the top deck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjtfzVYL2J4

ARTHUR GUNTER (Excello 2058)

“HONEY BABE” (2:33) [Excellorec BMI—Rains]
Arthur Gunter sings a bounce love blues with a good treatment that
is sure to pick up sales. Gunter gives it a good rock- ing reading that
should certainly appeal to the kids.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frxYl4G-T7A

“NO HAPPY HOME” (2:37) [Excellorec BMI—Rains]
The flip is a slow blues in which Gunter wails his saddest. Ok coupler,
well done, but without the sales appeal in “Honey Babe”.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHG6mrZ06V8

BILLY BOY (Vee-Jay 146)

“I WAS FOOLED” (2:53) [Tollie BMI—J. Williams]
Billy Boy talks-sings a slow blues about how the girl he thought
he was fooling fooled him. She was smarter than he had thought.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STwe36EqdOA

“I WISH YOU WOULD” (2:55) [Tollie BMI—B. Arnold]
Billy Boy moves on this side. A down country blues with effective
beat. Bo Diddley school.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGG64_pYSlU

JUNIOR RYDER (Duke 2796)

“DON’T TELL NOBODY” (2:26) [Lion BMI—Riden]
Junior Ryder sings a middle beat blues in ok style. However, material
is on the routine side.

both sides - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIVIaPmWwnM

“EVERY STAR I SEE” (2:43) [Lion BMI—Riden]
Ryder sings a pretty blues ballad with feeling. Good programming wax.

FRANKIE MARSHALL (Spark 117)

“JUST SAY THE WORD” (2:29) [Quintet BMI—Leiber, Stoller]
Frankie Marshall sings a quick beat blues with a jubilee feeling. Religious fans
might find their beat in this wax.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhNvl-tnJJw

“NO ONE ELSE WILL EVER KNOW” (2:41) [Quintet BMI—Roberts, Sherman]
Frankie Marshall sings a slow blues Johnny Ace flavored in styling and material
— tho the chanter doesn’t sound like the departed singer. Very pretty piece of
wax that could grab off some action.

THE TONE TWINS (Atlantic 1064)

“HEY PRETTY GIRL” (2:50) [Progressive BMI—Lewis]
The Tone Twins, a new group on the Atlantic label, bounce through the light
rhythm item with an effervescence that appeals. Ok material and ok delivery.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqC4DqvuQkU

“HOW CAN I WIN YOUR LOVE” (2:47) [Progressive BMI —Lewis]
The Twins dish up another strong side—an easy jump side with an engaging
swing. Romantic wax with a bubbly reading. The better side.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwZWiqPA3AQ

RICHARD BERRY (Flair 1071)

“CRAZY LOVER” (2:35) [Flair BMI—Berry, Josea]
Richard Berry sings a slow rhythmic blues with an expressive reading. Ok side.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzp7jPmHiaI

“NEXT TIME” (2:35) [Flair BMI — Berry, Josea]
Richard Berry gives a novelty performance of a slow, bouncer piece of material.
To give you an idea of the material used, it is of the “I Don’t Know” school.
Good side.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LA7cW_NGXw

THE GRIFFINS (Mercury 70558)

“SING TO ME” (2:34) [Calvin BMI—J. Griffin]
The Griffins sing a pop flavored ballad pretty that comes off a relaxing wax.
Lead is good. Good pop material.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BYpKF3LM5c

“I SWEAR BY ALL THE STARS ABOVE” (2:30) [Drexall BMI—J. Griffin]
Similar material —slow, romantic and delicate—that doesn’t come off as well
as “Sing To Me”.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKV2TpteoCQ

THE JACKS (RPM 528)

“WHY DON’T YOU WRITE ME?” (2:29) [Golden State BMI —Hollins]
The Jacks come up with a good job of a pretty tune—though the material
has by this time become fairly routine. Pleasing wax.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: 3-28-24 - Cash Box Reviews of The Day - JUNE 18, 1955

<uh4b0jtjprspb8keaavq326bkls1sa9pin@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=42910&group=rec.music.rock-pop-r%2Bb.1950s#42910

From: letsr...@opbox.com (RWC)
Newsgroups: rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s
Subject: Re: 3-28-24 - Cash Box Reviews of The Day - JUNE 18, 1955
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2024 11:55:07 -0400
 by: RWC - Thu, 28 Mar 2024 15:55 UTC

On Thu, 28 Mar 2024 14:56:12 +0000, savoybg@aol.com (Bruce) wrote:

>JUNE 18, 1955
>
>https://www.worldradiohistory.com/Archive-All-Music/Cash-Box/50s/1955/CB-1955-06-18.pdf
>
>THE FORTUNES (Checker 818)
>
>“BY BABY IS FINE” (2:35) [Arc BMI—McKay, Fratto]
>The Fortunes rock effectively through a rhythmic fast beat item. Good sound
>and performance.

*MY* BABY IS FINE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsgvgA-JTs8

Re: 3-28-24 - Cash Box Reviews of The Day - JUNE 18, 1955

<186d6037b62d2acc579a9526c4449b96@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=42911&group=rec.music.rock-pop-r%2Bb.1950s#42911

Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2024 16:55:29 +0000
From: savo...@aol.com (Bruce)
Newsgroups: rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s
 by: Bruce - Thu, 28 Mar 2024 16:55 UTC

RWC wrote:

> On Thu, 28 Mar 2024 14:56:12 +0000, savoybg@aol.com (Bruce) wrote:

>>JUNE 18, 1955
>>
>>https://www.worldradiohistory.com/Archive-All-Music/Cash-Box/50s/1955/CB-1955-06-18.pdf
>>
>>THE FORTUNES (Checker 818)
>>
>>“BY BABY IS FINE” (2:35) [Arc BMI—McKay, Fratto]
>>The Fortunes rock effectively through a rhythmic fast beat item. Good sound
>>and performance.
>>
> *MY* BABY IS FINE

> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsgvgA-JTs8

Thanks, it was Cash Box's typo, not mine.

Re: 3-28-24 - Cash Box Reviews of The Day - JUNE 18, 1955

<67d0419a1a5ca6a7c79af7870131e380@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=42912&group=rec.music.rock-pop-r%2Bb.1950s#42912

Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2024 17:01:47 +0000
From: maria...@blueyonder.co.uk (Roger)
Newsgroups: rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s
 by: Roger - Thu, 28 Mar 2024 17:01 UTC

Bruce wrote:

> JUNE 18, 1955

> https://www.worldradiohistory.com/Archive-All-Music/Cash-Box/50s/1955/CB-1955-06-18.pdf

> *AWARD O' THE WEEK*

> NAPPY BROWN (Savoy 1162)

> “PIDDILY PATTER PATTER” (2:35)

> Nappy Brown, who became a star overnight with his “Don’t Be Angry” is no flash in the pan
> as evidenced by his follow up. The top side, from where we sit, is “Piddily Patter”. Tune is a
> moderate rocker with plenty of excitement and flavor. Brown has his own individual style of
> presentation that will be undoubtedly recognized as soon as it is exposed to the public.

> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pwyf3XTYeO8

Topside renamed "Pitter Patter" for UK consumption---since the "Piddily" word in the US title has a rather cruder meaning over here which is exactly what you think it is

https://www.45cat.com/record/hlc8182

> PEE WEE CRAYTON (Imperial 5353)

> “YOURS TRULY” (2:20) [Commodore BMI — Bartholomew]
> Crayton chants a middle beat jump side with an appealing vocal and easy styling.
> Side moves well and could rack up strong sales.

> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-4qA32Q6r0

One of his best efforts IMO It did fairly well for me in one of the Obscurities tournaments not long ago

> THE SPIDERS (Imperial 689)

> “BELLS IN MY HEART” (2:11) [Commodore BMI—Robichaux, Durand, Matassa]
> Another ballad blues with tender lyrics. The Spiders give it the same pop type treat-
> ment and the deck comes off easy to listen to, tho it lacks the punch of the top deck.

> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjtfzVYL2J4

Truly GREAT New Orleans group and this is one of the best things they ever did

> BILLY BOY (Vee-Jay 146)

> “I WISH YOU WOULD” (2:55) [Tollie BMI—B. Arnold]
> Billy Boy moves on this side. A down country blues with effective
> beat. Bo Diddley school.

> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGG64_pYSlU

Song became popular with several fledgling UK blues groups in the 60's including The Yardbirds whose version became their debut record

> FRANKIE MARSHALL (Spark 117)

> “NO ONE ELSE WILL EVER KNOW” (2:41) [Quintet BMI—Roberts, Sherman]
> Frankie Marshall sings a slow blues Johnny Ace flavored in styling and material
> — tho the chanter doesn’t sound like the departed singer. Very pretty piece of
> wax that could grab off some action.

Does less than nothing for me but here for sake of completeness

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzQMKMoxhHE

> THE JACKS (RPM 528)

> “WHY DON’T YOU WRITE ME?” (2:29) [Golden State BMI —Hollins]
> The Jacks come up with a good job of a pretty tune—though the material
> has by this time become fairly routine. Pleasing wax.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xN9KpmTIhos

Much superior cover of the Feathers original

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LH0iKKAEj8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFXgmyK5MSw

> MICKEY “GUITAR” BAKER (Rainbow 303)

> “GUITARAMBO” (2:45) [Nassau—G. Baker]
> A spirited Latin guitar instrumental that gives Mickey Baker a chance to show off his vast guitar
> talents. Two good sides for programming or dancing. Good sound. Could excite some action.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJTgwPCTTE0

Again posted for completeness sake

> THE FORTUNES (Checker 818)

> “BY BABY IS FINE” (2:35) [Arc BMI—McKay, Fratto]
> The Fortunes rock effectively through a rhythmic fast beat item. Good sound
> and performance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5n6llLXcWTs

I guess the "Fratto" who gets part writer credit here is the same Russ Fratto erstwhile landlord of the building Chess Records rented as their HQ who wrote as much of this number as he did of Chuck's "Maybellene",The Flamingos' "A Kiss From Your Lips" etc

Re: 3-28-24 - Cash Box Reviews of The Day - JUNE 18, 1955

<58752e50845713016c2ed8ec3d19e266@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=42913&group=rec.music.rock-pop-r%2Bb.1950s#42913

Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2024 17:39:13 +0000
From: savo...@aol.com (Bruce)
Newsgroups: rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s
 by: Bruce - Thu, 28 Mar 2024 17:39 UTC

Roger wrote:

> Bruce wrote:

>> JUNE 18, 1955

>> https://www.worldradiohistory.com/Archive-All-Music/Cash-Box/50s/1955/CB-1955-06-18.pdf

>> *AWARD O' THE WEEK*

>> NAPPY BROWN (Savoy 1162)

>> “PIDDILY PATTER PATTER” (2:35)

>> Nappy Brown, who became a star overnight with his “Don’t Be Angry” is no flash in the pan
>> as evidenced by his follow up. The top side, from where we sit, is “Piddily Patter”. Tune is a
>> moderate rocker with plenty of excitement and flavor. Brown has his own individual style of
>> presentation that will be undoubtedly recognized as soon as it is exposed to the public.

>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pwyf3XTYeO8

> Topside renamed "Pitter Patter" for UK consumption---since the "Piddily" word in the US title has a rather cruder meaning over here which is exactly what you think it is

> https://www.45cat.com/record/hlc8182

It came out both ways here. I have 45's with "Pitter Patter."

https://i.discogs.com/yGXqECG9zzV-vkGsznZ-UHbS6cRnBRN1dnUWh63jhFY/rs:fit/g:sm/q:90/h:600/w:600/czM6Ly9kaXNjb2dz/LWRhdGFiYXNlLWlt/YWdlcy9SLTEwNTY3/MTA2LTE1MDAwMzQ4/NzQtMjM4NS5qcGVn.jpeg

>> --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

>> PEE WEE CRAYTON (Imperial 5353)

>> “YOURS TRULY” (2:20) [Commodore BMI — Bartholomew]
>> Crayton chants a middle beat jump side with an appealing vocal and easy styling.
>> Side moves well and could rack up strong sales.

>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-4qA32Q6r0

> One of his best efforts IMO It did fairly well for me in one of the Obscurities tournaments not long ago

A HUGE Brucie favorite.

>> --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

>> THE SPIDERS (Imperial 689)

>> “BELLS IN MY HEART” (2:11) [Commodore BMI—Robichaux, Durand, Matassa]
>> Another ballad blues with tender lyrics. The Spiders give it the same pop type treat-
>> ment and the deck comes off easy to listen to, tho it lacks the punch of the top deck.

>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjtfzVYL2J4

> Truly GREAT New Orleans group and this is one of the best things they ever did

ABSOLUTELY. Hard to believe that the reviewer liked "For A Thrill" better, even though it's like an 8. "Bells In My Heart: is a very solid 10.

>> FRANKIE MARSHALL (Spark 117)

>> “NO ONE ELSE WILL EVER KNOW” (2:41) [Quintet BMI—Roberts, Sherman]
>> Frankie Marshall sings a slow blues Johnny Ace flavored in styling and material
>> — tho the chanter doesn’t sound like the departed singer. Very pretty piece of
>> wax that could grab off some action.

> Does less than nothing for me but here for sake of completeness.

That's weak. A 2 or 3.

>> THE LOLLYPOPPERS (Aladdin 3291)

>> “MISS SELMA’S BOOGIE” (2:40) [Aladdin BMI—Bert Sexton]
>> The Lollypoppers bounce gayly through a rhythmic jump
>> ditty on the cute side. Ok wax.

> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFXgmyK5MSw

Decent, a 5.

I'm surprised that O'Manza was able to post these videos. I figured he was still on a bender from St. Patty's Day.

>> --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

>> MICKEY “GUITAR” BAKER (Rainbow 303)

>> “GUITARAMBO” (2:45) [Nassau—G. Baker]
>> A spirited Latin guitar instrumental that gives Mickey Baker a chance to show off his vast guitar
>> talents. Two good sides for programming or dancing. Good sound. Could excite some action.

> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJTgwPCTTE0

> Again posted for completeness sake

He did this earlier on Savoy. This version is pretty fucking dire.

Here's the slightly better Savoy version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8NKMlfqmg0

>> --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

>> THE FORTUNES (Checker 818)

>> “BY BABY IS FINE” (2:35) [Arc BMI—McKay, Fratto]
>> The Fortunes rock effectively through a rhythmic fast beat item. Good sound
>> and performance.

> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5n6llLXcWTs

> I guess the "Fratto" who gets part writer credit here is the same Russ Fratto erstwhile landlord of the building Chess Records rented as their HQ who wrote as much of this number as he did of Chuck's "Maybellene",The Flamingos' "A Kiss From Your Lips" etc

In lieu of part of that month's rent I suppose.

Re: 3-28-24 - Cash Box Reviews of The Day - JUNE 18, 1955

<7a0e24b37e64289e777776715444265d@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=42922&group=rec.music.rock-pop-r%2Bb.1950s#42922

Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2024 06:43:12 +0000
From: maria...@blueyonder.co.uk (Roger)
Newsgroups: rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s
 by: Roger - Fri, 29 Mar 2024 06:43 UTC

Bruce wrote:

> Roger wrote:

>> Bruce wrote:

>>> JUNE 18, 1955

>>> https://www.worldradiohistory.com/Archive-All-Music/Cash-Box/50s/1955/CB-1955-06-18.pdf

>>> MICKEY “GUITAR” BAKER (Rainbow 303)

>>> “GUITARAMBO” (2:45) [Nassau—G. Baker]
>>> A spirited Latin guitar instrumental that gives Mickey Baker a chance to show off his vast guitar
>>> talents. Two good sides for programming or dancing. Good sound. Could excite some action.

>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJTgwPCTTE0

>> Again posted for completeness sake

> He did this earlier on Savoy. This version is pretty fucking dire.

> Here's the slightly better Savoy version.

> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8NKMlfqmg0

Larry's mind must be going!

He had completely forgptten this one!! :)