Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2024 15:23:11 +0000
Subject: 4-3-24 - Cash Box Reviews of The Day - MAY 3, 1958
From: savo...@aol.com (Bruce)
Newsgroups: rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s
 by: Bruce - Wed, 3 Apr 2024 15:23 UTC

MAY 3, 1958

https://www.worldradiohistory.com/Archive-All-Music/Cash-Box/50s/1958/CB-1958-05-03.pdf

The Cash Box Disk of the Week

CHAMPS (Challenge 59007)

“EL RANCHO ROCK” (2:18) [E. B, Marks BMI—Ramos, Uranga]
“MIDNIGHTER” (2:08) [Golden West BMI—Burgess]

The Champs, the five lads who skyrocketed to fame aboard one of the biggest hits of 1958,
“Tequila”, follow-up with an equally sensational instrumental that should repeat the success
of their initial hit. Their new release is a modern day rock and roll version of the south-of
-the border evergreen, “El Rancho Grande”, which the Champs call “El Rancho Rock”. It’s a fabu-
lous arrangement with one of the most exciting background beats we’ve ever heard—and that in-
cludes “Tequila”. Sensational follow-up performance with a thrilling Latin rock beat. The kids’ll
be wild about this one. Bottom side, “Midnighter” is a driving instrumental jumper excitingly
tailored for dancing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyXcpoxsqvg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JYw7S5ZEXc

RONNIE SELF (Columbia 41166)

“BIG BLON’ BABY” (1:45) [Alamo ASCAP—Roberts, Jacobson]
Ronnie Self, who clicked with “Bop-A-Lena” on a territorial level, could go national
with this wild rocker. Hard hitting rafter-shaker for the teen market.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1605vNXgjk

“DATE BAIT” (2:15) [Cedarwood BMI — Riley, Woodfolk]
More wild and wooly rockin’ fare chanted with verve by Self and a chorus. Good
rock-a-billy merchandise that could also do well in the country market especially
since Self was formerly a country star.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wivG9cNcz54

JOHNNY OTIS SHOW (Capitol 3966)

“WILLIE AND THE HAND JIVE” (2:32) [El Dorado BMI—Otis]
Johnny Otis and his band work with a Bo Diddleyish beat as the leader expounds on one
of the teenagers’ latest crazes, hand-jive. Exciting side that could give Otis his first big
Capitol hit. Hand-jive is the handclapping rhythms that teenagers employ when watching
and listening to R & R music. Watch this sleeper. It’s loaded with potential.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0esk5hsdD6I

“RING-A-LING” (1:52) Dorado BMI—Otis]
Another torrid rocker belted with gusto. Otis does a wild job with the vocal and gets some
torrid instrumental accompaniment from his men. Both sides are good for the R & B market
too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFvOjf1Qdzc

CLARENCE PALMER & JIVE BOMBERS (Savoy 1535)

“JUST AROUND THE CORNER” (2:15) [Broadway ASCAP —Von Tilzer, Singer]
Clarence Palmer, of “Bad Boy” fame, employs his wah-wah-wah gimmicks as his group glides
thru an easy-rocking arrangement of a grand oldie. Soft shoe segment adds to color of side.
Charming pop item that could develop into a big money-maker. Watch this sleeper.

“IS THIS THE END” (2:10) [Medalion Songs ASCAP—Betzner]
More good wah-wah effects enhance this rock-a-ballad smoothly styled by the Palmer-Bombers
combo.

both sides - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVyj4EV8wzM

BURNETTE BROTHERS (Imperial 5509)

“WARM LOVE” (1:54) [Travis BMI — Burnette, Burnette] The
Burnette Brothers have a socko two sider here. This end is a torrid rockabilly ballad displaying
some exciting harmony by the duet. Side cuts along at a torrid pace with some wild guitar work
accompanying. Deck is loaded with potential.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62PRIQychgA

“MY HONEY” (2:58) [Travis BMI — Burnette, Burnette]
The same sizzling pace continues as the boys belt across another commercial country-flavored
swinger. Hot coupling to watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ADGzeIqXvA

SLEEPER OF THE WEEK

JAN & ARNIE (Arwin 108)

“JENNIE LEE” (2:00) [Daywin BMI—Berry, Ginsberg]
“GOTTA GETTA DATE” (2:30) [Daywin BMI—Ginsberg, Berry, Lubin]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfCQiFLRf_s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmKKZPDtGUs

BILLY WARD & DOMINOES (Liberty 55136)

“JENNIE LEE” (2:00) [Daywin BMI—Berry, Ginsberg]
“MUSIC, MAESTRO PLEASE” (2:16) [Bourne ASCAP Wrubel, Magidson]

In this era when “sound” is probably the most important characteristic of a hit record, an exciting and
different sound can give you a huge smash. And that’s just what is featured on two new recordings of
the same tune, “Jennie Lee”. The original stars newcomers Jan & Amie on the Arwin label and the cover
headlines Billy Ward and the Dominoes on the Liberty diskery. Both versions are basically a maze of vocal
gimmicks and instrumental drive that almost completely cover- up the lyrics the artists are singing. But
we’re sure the teenagers won’t mind. The “sound” that’ll send their happy feet hopping is there and that’s
all that counts. Watch “Jennie Lee”. It’s a hit number. Jan & Arnie’s flip is a rocker discussing the problem of getting a date for Saturday night. Ward’s flip side brings back the oldie “Music, Maestro, Please” in a rockin’ beat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2M-Hv6K1LpA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JrvIOS3dNE

MICKEY & SYLVIA (Vik 0324)

“BEWILDERED” (2:58) [Miller ASCAP—Powell, Whitcup]
“ROCK AND STROLL ROOM” (2:31) [Ben-Ghazi BMI—Mapp]

Mickey & Sylvia have a pair of aces back-to-back on their latest Vik platter, and both could join
hands to give the team their biggest money-maker since “Love Is Strange”. One end, “Rock And
Stroll Room”, is, as the title indicated, a stroll beat dance item. It’s a commercial offering with a
terrific beat and some excellent backdrop accompaniment. Mickey and Sylvia blend beautifully.
Kids’ll be strollin’ to this one. The other ace is “Bewildered”, a beautiful Latin beat rocka-ballad
perfectly designed for the teenagers’ dancing needs. It’s got a clear cut cha cha tempo. Toward
the conclusion the artists talk to one another as they did in “Love Is Strange”. Terrific two-sider.
Take your pick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMP646qws9w
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXh2y8uKggk

GERRY GRANAHAN (Sunbeam 102)

“GIRL OF MY DREAMS” (2:07) [Mills ASCAP—Clapp]
“NO CHEMISE, PLEASE” (2:30) [Sunbeam BMI—Granahan, Goland, D’Amour]

The new Sunbeam label gets off to a great start with a tremendous two-sided debut disk that could
put the firm in the chips in short order. The record features Gerry Granahan, a lad who, under the
name of Gerry Grant, was the vocalist on the hit “Click Clack”. For his Sunbeam debut, Gerry offers
something old and something new. The oldie is the favorite “Girl Of My Dreams” which the polished
teenage songster chants in top grade rock-a-ballad form. Dramatic number that builds as the side
progresses. Equally sensational is the new tune “No Chemise, Please”. The deck opens with a calm,
collected ballad beat. But after the first chorus, Granahan breaks loose with a torrid and very humor-
ous rockin’ beat dissertation on the sack look. One of the best sack-dress ditties on the market. It’s
a toss-up as to which will be the big one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7o5_-7xXNA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=calmCW0mXzQ

The Cash Box Award o’ the Week

THE "5" ROYALES (King 5131)

“THE FEELING IS REAL” (2:45) [Armo BMI—Lowman Pauling]
“DO THE CHA CHA CHERRY” (2:10) [Armo BMI—Lowman Pauling]

The “5” Royales, who a few years ago were one of the top groups in the business,
and then went cool for a while, are now in the process of building back to their
previous eminence. The lads have been getting consistently stronger with each of
their last few releases. Now—with these newest, “The Feeling Is Real”, a slow,
rhythmic offering, The “5” Royales bid fair to make it all the way with a number
one hit. This deck has a quality and the result is a top-notch product. “Do The Cha
Cha Cherry” is a middle beat Cha Cha beat. A better than fair deck, but we think
it’s “The Feeling Is Real” all the way.

both sides - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sH1ULgp-tWI

THE WANDERERS (Cub 9003)

“A TEENAGE QUARREL” (2:16) [Malver BMI—Gasper, Scheff]
“MY SHINING HOUR” (2:00) [E. H. Morris ASCAP—Arlen, Mercer]

• The Wanderers debut on Cub with two decks that make a fast getaway a great big possibility.
The group dishes up the great Arlen- Mercer standard, “My Shining Hour”, with a thrilling
treatment—and then turn around and see that you are not shortchanged with a deft treatment of
“A Teenage Quarrel”. The two sides are a mixing of the past and present that should envelop the
hearts of the teenage audience. The slow shuffle “Teenage Quarrel” is a melodic opus that has
captured the mood of the times. We look to both sides to grab a big piece of attention, and
when properly shaken down one will emerge for a good sized hit.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: 4-3-24 - Cash Box Reviews of The Day - MAY 3, 1958

<25df66dfcb6aa7459d06a8e8f7936ea8@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=42975&group=rec.music.rock-pop-r%2Bb.1950s#42975

Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2024 20:18:01 +0000
Subject: Re: 4-3-24 - Cash Box Reviews of The Day - MAY 3, 1958
From: maria...@blueyonder.co.uk (Roger)
Newsgroups: rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s
 by: Roger - Wed, 3 Apr 2024 20:18 UTC

Bruce wrote:

> MAY 3, 1958

> https://www.worldradiohistory.com/Archive-All-Music/Cash-Box/50s/1958/CB-1958-05-03.pdf

> RONNIE SELF (Columbia 41166)

> “BIG BLON’ BABY” (1:45) [Alamo ASCAP—Roberts, Jacobson]
> Ronnie Self, who clicked with “Bop-A-Lena” on a territorial level, could go national
> with this wild rocker. Hard hitting rafter-shaker for the teen market.

> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1605vNXgjk

The original version of the song! Released almost a year earlier than Jerry Lee's version

Both are good but I'll go with the more familiar JLL as my favorite

Here's a 1960 version by a UK artist whose gotten some good reviews earlier on this newsgroup

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2s-pCtkv3U

> BURNETTE BROTHERS (Imperial 5509)

> “WARM LOVE” (1:54) [Travis BMI — Burnette, Burnette] The
> Burnette Brothers have a socko two sider here. This end is a torrid rockabilly ballad displaying
> some exciting harmony by the duet. Side cuts along at a torrid pace with some wild guitar work
> accompanying. Deck is loaded with potential.

> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62PRIQychgA

> “MY HONEY” (2:58) [Travis BMI — Burnette, Burnette]
> The same sizzling pace continues as the boys belt across another commercial country-flavored
> swinger. Hot coupling to watch.

> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ADGzeIqXvA

Very tame stuff indeed after the Coral recordings

> SLEEPER OF THE WEEK

> JAN & ARNIE (Arwin 108)

> “JENNIE LEE” (2:00) [Daywin BMI—Berry, Ginsberg]
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfCQiFLRf_s

This didn't get played that much over here but when it did it became my favorite record of the moment for some time

> GENE TERRY (Goldband 1066)

> “CINDY LOU” (2:00) [Golden State BMI—Shuler, Dunaway]
> Gene Terry etches a middle beat r&b deck with a strong beat. Terry’s vocal efforts
> have a hard time with the instrumental support in that the engineering permitted
> the band to come in too strong. Swinging deck with a strong dance beat.

> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m32e65BJ9IM

IIRC Jim had the great original version of this by The Boogie Ramblers as one of his choices in the November 2022 Obscurities contest. It got to the Semi Final but sadly came last (it was top in my vote)

And its top in my vote again here---when it comes to comparing to Terry's (still pretty good) remake

> THE REVALONS (Pet 802)

> DREAMS ARE FOR FOOLS (2:41) [Don BMI—Simpkins, Carter]
> The Revalons dish up a quick beat teener bit that is loaded with what the kids want.
> The Revalons have the sound, dash and quality. We think this deck could grab it very
> big if the airplay is forthcoming.

> “THIS IS THE MOMENT (2:41) [Don BMI—Simpkins, Carter]
> The Revalons offer a slow beat ballad on the flip—but it fails to reach the level of
> “Dreams”. Easy deck for an adequate coupler.

IIRC the topside here was one of Norm K's top group favorites. I can't believe its not on US YT??

I see multiple copies on my screen here and some with viewing numbers in four figures.

No matter here's another vid to add to the list--coupling both sides

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvqYxkxr32o

Re: 4-3-24 - Cash Box Reviews of The Day - MAY 3, 1958

<d04204ab7e65b12a3287b0b33347f2e7@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=42976&group=rec.music.rock-pop-r%2Bb.1950s#42976

Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2024 21:24:43 +0000
From: savo...@aol.com (Bruce)
Newsgroups: rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s
 by: Bruce - Wed, 3 Apr 2024 21:24 UTC

Roger wrote:

>> RONNIE SELF (Columbia 41166)

>> “BIG BLON’ BABY” (1:45) [Alamo ASCAP—Roberts, Jacobson]
>> Ronnie Self, who clicked with “Bop-A-Lena” on a territorial level, could go national
>> with this wild rocker. Hard hitting rafter-shaker for the teen market.

>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1605vNXgjk

> The original version of the song! Released almost a year earlier than Jerry Lee's version

> Both are good but I'll go with the more familiar JLL as my favorite.

Jerry Lee gets a 6, Ronnie only a 5 because of the chorus. Without the chorus the Self might have been a higher 6.