interests / alt.toys.transformers / Re: One of the Reasons Why Hasbro is Going Green: Recycling is a Myth

SubjectAuthor
* One of the Reasons Why Hasbro is Going Green: Recycling is a MythZobovor
+* Re: One of the Reasons Why Hasbro is Going Green: Recycling is a MythTravoltron
|`- Re: One of the Reasons Why Hasbro is Going Green: Recycling is a MythZobovor
+- Re: One of the Reasons Why Hasbro is Going Green: Recycling is a MythIrrellius Spamticon
`* Re: One of the Reasons Why Hasbro is Going Green: Recycling is a MythGustavo Wombat
 `- Re: One of the Reasons Why Hasbro is Going Green: Recycling is a MythIrrellius Spamticon

1
One of the Reasons Why Hasbro is Going Green: Recycling is a Myth

<b77b33bc-79e9-4480-916b-afeae3440b27n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4296&group=alt.toys.transformers#4296

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Mon, 17 May 2021 15:30:27 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: One of the Reasons Why Hasbro is Going Green: Recycling is a Myth
From: zmf...@aol.com (Zobovor)
 by: Zobovor - Mon, 17 May 2021 22:30 UTC

This is one of those things that I would have normally dismissed as as conspiracy theory, but it seems perfectly legitimate:

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/aug/17/plastic-recycling-myth-what-really-happens-your-rubbish

I had always assumed that plastics actually got recycled after you took the time to separate them into the little blue bins with the arrows painted on them. I mean, that's why we separate our recyclables from our trash, right?

Yeah, guess not.

So, now it makes more sense than ever that Hasbro is pushing to remove all plastic from their product packaging. It's likely they knew something we didn't.

I haven't felt this disappointed in the way the world works since I read about the Jet Fair factory in China and their abusive treatment of the workers who build and paint and assemble my Transformers toys.

Zob (sigh)

Re: One of the Reasons Why Hasbro is Going Green: Recycling is a Myth

<s7ut28$11lb$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4297&group=alt.toys.transformers#4297

From: travolt...@defender.uni (Travoltron)
Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Mon, 17 May 2021 16:08:56 -0700
 by: Travoltron - Mon, 17 May 2021 23:08 UTC

My city decided to end glass recycling entirely and it's now only paper
and plastic. This makes no sense to me. Glass has been recycled for ages
now.

Re: One of the Reasons Why Hasbro is Going Green: Recycling is a Myth

<fbfd487c-fded-4096-8b34-0bfcab021171n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4298&group=alt.toys.transformers#4298

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Tue, 18 May 2021 05:23:06 -0700 (PDT)
From: zmf...@aol.com (Zobovor)
 by: Zobovor - Tue, 18 May 2021 12:23 UTC

On Monday, May 17, 2021 at 5:09:00 PM UTC-6, Travoltron wrote:

> My city decided to end glass recycling entirely and it's now only paper
> and plastic. This makes no sense to me. Glass has been recycled for ages
> now.

The article I linked to talks about how glass and aluminum are way easier to recycle than plastic. Apparently ten percent or less of all plastic that gets carried away for processing actually gets recycled.

Zob (understands this planet less and less every day)

Re: One of the Reasons Why Hasbro is Going Green: Recycling is a Myth

<489d4ff2-1b40-4f2d-b9c8-8a1c64bf79ean@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4299&group=alt.toys.transformers#4299

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Tue, 18 May 2021 06:22:34 -0700 (PDT)
From: Ob1ken...@att.net (Irrellius Spamticon)
 by: Irrellius Spamticon - Tue, 18 May 2021 13:22 UTC

On Monday, May 17, 2021 at 5:30:28 PM UTC-5, Zobovor wrote:
> This is one of those things that I would have normally dismissed as as conspiracy theory, but it seems perfectly legitimate:
>
> https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/aug/17/plastic-recycling-myth-what-really-happens-your-rubbish
>
> I had always assumed that plastics actually got recycled after you took the time to separate them into the little blue bins with the arrows painted on them. I mean, that's why we separate our recyclables from our trash, right?
>
> Yeah, guess not.
>
> So, now it makes more sense than ever that Hasbro is pushing to remove all plastic from their product packaging. It's likely they knew something we didn't.
>
> I haven't felt this disappointed in the way the world works since I read about the Jet Fair factory in China and their abusive treatment of the workers who build and paint and assemble my Transformers toys.
>

> Zob (sigh)

Plastic has never been easy to recycle, and due to contamination (still covered by food waste, or paper stuck to plastic) much of it has long been tossed out.

Every few years some far-right extremist group uses plastic as the example that all recycling is always bad, citing (falsely) that all US trash could easily fit in an area the size of a football field and so many stories tall, with the number of stories tall increasing every time they re-write the same article. Nobody near me will recycle plastics that have the 5 or 7 in the logo.

I'm still going to wash out and recycle bottles, and the company I work for has long recycled computers, printers, and ink, but we don't have a way to make recycling saran wrap or pizza boxes profitable so nobody wants to do it.

Of course single use plastic is the bane of green recycling companies, which is why they hate plastic straws.

9% also includes the people who just throw everything in the recycling hoping maybe it can be recycled when it can't, or following intentionally misleading labels.. When a big bale of plastic gets contaminated by a baby diaper then the whole big bale is likely thrown out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fiu9GSOmt8E
One of my favorite videos on the subject

Re: One of the Reasons Why Hasbro is Going Green: Recycling is a Myth

<s80nfj$1cl1$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4300&group=alt.toys.transformers#4300

From: gustavow...@yahoo.com (Gustavo Wombat)
Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Tue, 18 May 2021 15:45:56 +0000 (UTC)
 by: Gustavo Wombat - Tue, 18 May 2021 15:45 UTC

Zobovor <zmfts@aol.com> wrote:
> This is one of those things that I would have normally dismissed as as
> conspiracy theory, but it seems perfectly legitimate:
>

> https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/aug/17/plastic-recycling-myth-what-really-happens-your-rubbish
>
> I had always assumed that plastics actually got recycled after you took
> the time to separate them into the little blue bins with the arrows
> painted on them. I mean, that's why we separate our recyclables from our trash, right?
>
> Yeah, guess not.
>
> So, now it makes more sense than ever that Hasbro is pushing to remove
> all plastic from their product packaging. It's likely they knew something we didn't.
>
> I haven't felt this disappointed in the way the world works since I read
> about the Jet Fair factory in China and their abusive treatment of the
> workers who build and paint and assemble my Transformers toys.
>

> Zob (sigh)

Crypto currencies use more electricity than we generate through wind and
solar. Just a fun bit of information that makes me think that as a species
we don’t deserve to survive.

I’m pulling for the cephalopods.

Re: One of the Reasons Why Hasbro is Going Green: Recycling is a Myth

<452156dc-a42b-4f59-b236-38ea004f5368n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4301&group=alt.toys.transformers#4301

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Tue, 18 May 2021 16:55:22 -0700 (PDT)
From: Ob1ken...@att.net (Irrellius Spamticon)
 by: Irrellius Spamticon - Tue, 18 May 2021 23:55 UTC

On Tuesday, May 18, 2021 at 10:45:59 AM UTC-5, Gustavo Wombat, of the Seattle Wombats wrote:
> Zobovor <zm...@aol.com> wrote:
> > This is one of those things that I would have normally dismissed as as
> > conspiracy theory, but it seems perfectly legitimate:
> >

> > https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/aug/17/plastic-recycling-myth-what-really-happens-your-rubbish
> >
> > I had always assumed that plastics actually got recycled after you took
> > the time to separate them into the little blue bins with the arrows
> > painted on them. I mean, that's why we separate our recyclables from our trash, right?
> >
> > Yeah, guess not.
> >
> > So, now it makes more sense than ever that Hasbro is pushing to remove
> > all plastic from their product packaging. It's likely they knew something we didn't.
> >
> > I haven't felt this disappointed in the way the world works since I read
> > about the Jet Fair factory in China and their abusive treatment of the
> > workers who build and paint and assemble my Transformers toys.
> >

> > Zob (sigh)
> >
> Crypto currencies use more electricity than we generate through wind and
> solar. Just a fun bit of information that makes me think that as a species
> we don’t deserve to survive.
>
> I’m pulling for the cephalopods.

Crypto mining has become more efficient over time, but yeah, it's crappy.
Crypto is also ruled by the billionaires, people spend thousands to make some crypto then a billionaire who used to love it suddenly stops accepting it and the crypto these people spent thousands to mine is suddenly worthless..

They could have changed over to proof-of-stake instead of proof-of-work for blockchain generation and it would have reduced the energy needed by over 60%, and let people mine without putting over 1K into a computer, but they don't