Date: Sun, 7 Apr 2024 16:56:44 +0000
Subject: 4-7-24 - Cash Box Reviews of The Day - JANUARY 31, 1948
From: savo...@aol.com (Bruce)
Newsgroups: rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s
 by: Bruce - Sun, 7 Apr 2024 16:56 UTC

JANUARY 31, 1948

https://www.worldradiohistory.com/Archive-All-Music/Cash-Box/40s/48/CB-1948-01-31.pdf

DISK O’ THE WEEK

FRANKIE LAINE (Mercury 5091)

"Shine" (2:58)
"We'll Be Together Again" (2:46)

This laddy can sing for me any day in the week! Utilizing some gusto and flavor, and a vocal style that
truly is sincere, Frankie Laine takes the lead to offer this fragrant oldie labeled “Shine”. It’s value alone
as the song stands should be enough to make it a featured item in the juke boxes. Frankie displays loads
of vibrancy coupled with a ton of nostalgia and sentimentality for the older folks who love to reminisce.
Then again remember that the younger set, who incidentally are wild about Laine, didn’t have too much
time to hear this stuff. The Carl Fisher ork add loads to make this number one to grab coin. On the flip
with some ballad material, Frankie grabs the lead to set off a spark for “We’ll Be Together Again”. Your
phono will not only shine—but gleam once you get next to “Shine.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYaaEXyFbwI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHa8UZI4WOM

COUNT BASIE ORCH. (Victor 20-2602)

"Don't You Want A Man Like Me" (2:51)
"Blue & Sentimental" (2:54)

It’s Count Basie and a cookie that can really move. With piper Jimmy Rushing on the top deck
howlin' in deep brown mood, the top deck labeled “Don't You Want A Man Like Me” shows as an
attractive possibility. The stuff is really blue and as such might suit those ops with race spots.
On the flip with “Blue and Sentimental”, piper Bob Bailey grabs the lead for the slow and haunting
metro. The ditty, always a possible at- traction, should come in for some fair coin play. Both sides
are there for the asking — you take it from here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7541ad-Wjk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvEopyBC3xo

AL JOLSON (Decca 24296)

"Let Me Sing and I'm Happy" (3:00)
"If I Only Had A Match" (2:59)

It’s gravy with this platter! A1 Jolson at it again, and believe me, there’s no stopping the “youngster”.
Al and that mellow voice on the gay Berlin tune “Let Me Sing And I’m Happy” shows as gold in the
machines for a host of ops. The beat offered here is splendid, with Jolson headlining throughout. On
the backing for the effective mouthing of “If I Only Had A Match”, he comes back again with more
nostalgic tones that spell coin action. The duo is hot — get next to them.

https://archive.org/details/lp_the-best-of-al-jolson_al-jolson_0/disc2/03.06.+Let+Me+Sing+And+I'm+Happy.mp3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vvjiEUhdZg

JOHNNY MERCER with THE KING COLE TRIO (Capitol 15026)

"You Can't Make Money Dreamin' " (2:59)
"My Baby Likes To Be-Bop" (3:00)

The charm and splendor of this cookie should set the stage for a load of coin play. It’s Johnny Mercer
and The King Cole Trio on a duo tainted with the loads of kicks and tricks. Spilling the cute wordage
in slow time to “You Can’t Make Money Dreamin’ ”, the group combine for some light material that glows.
Dig the title here and you’ve got a side that can do the trick. The flip shows just as effective and
features King Cole and Mercer again for the candy wordage of “My Baby Likes To Be-Bop”. The wide popu-
larity of the group should account for a ton of phono action.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgDnZcrbBrw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8DRlLW2_Q4

SARAH VAUGHN (Musicraft 533)

"Trouble Is A Man" (3:00)
"I Feel So Smoochie" (3:01)

The scintillating tones of chirp Sarah Vaughn and a deck that is bound to go like sixty. “Trouble Is A Man”
shows Sarah spilling the heavy material all wrapped up around the title, with the Ted Dale ork blending
smoothly throughout. The gal’s high pitch here should make for lots of coin play. On the backside with the
current “I Feel So Smoochie”, Sarah once again shows her top notch vocal style with this teasing piece.
Dig the name value here and you’ve got something that can really move.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9TfAmXEFQs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuINVJ3wiwI

CHARLIE BARNET (Apollo 1092)

"Deep Purple" (2:56)
"Jubilee Jump" (2:47)

Pair of sides by the capable and popular Charlie Barnet orchestra spill here with the instrumental tones
of “Deep Purple” and “Jubilee Jump” offered. It’s the sax styling and arrangement of the pair that grab
off all the glory with maestro Charlie grabbing a spot and flourishing throughout. Top deck has long been
a favorite with many phono fans and should come in for some healthy play. The flip has the Barnet ork
giving with their all and dis- playing their wares in high, brilliant fashion. Both sides are easily suitable for
the dance and listener crowd alike latch on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Y_c4O2SA1g
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMIxnSlkkZc

VIVIANE GREENE (Trilon 190)

"Honey, Honey, Honey" (2:43)
"The Unfinished Boogie" (2:26)

Pair of flavorful and colorful sides for race locations are these offered in subtle tones by the
capable Viviane Greene. Weaving in slow setting to the magic wordage of “Honey, Honey, Honey”, the
thrush picks up the lead to come thru with some soft stuff that shines. The beat here plus the gal’s
tricks worm their way into you and make you wanna come back for more. The flip shows Viviane at the
ivory’s with “The Unfinished Boogie” spilling out. Where they go for this brand of stuff, and that
cover lots of territory, they’ll hold still for this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmpN9j40Mr0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3q4h6ONoto