Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2024 21:51:06 +0000
Subject: 4-23-24 - Cash Box Reviews of The Day - JUNE 30, 1956
From: savo...@aol.com (Bruce)
Newsgroups: rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s
 by: Bruce - Tue, 23 Apr 2024 21:51 UTC

JUNE 30, 1956

https://www.worldradiohistory.com/Archive-All-Music/Cash-Box/50s/1956/CB-1956-06-30.pdf

STAN FREBERG (Capitol 3480; F-3480)

“HEARTBREAK HOTEL” (2:12) [Tree BMI -— Axton, Durden, Presley]
The hilarious Mr. Freberg does a take-off on the #1 Elvis Presley smash “Heartbreak Hotel”. Excellent
novelty that’ll tickle the funny bones of jockeys and the public. Should create a sensation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hazroCi7PWI

“ROCK ISLAND LINE” (3:21) [Hollis BMI—Donegan]
An amusing parody, this time on another top disk seller. Good for a healthy chuckle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IR9K-66T1g

THE CASH BOX *AWARD O' THE WEEK*

THE TEEN QUEENS (RPM 464)

“UNTIL THE DAY I DIE” (2:37) [Dig BMI—Akers]
“BILLY BOY” (2:30) [Modern BMI—Collins, Davis, Ling]

The Teen Queens have a powerful piece of material here, and it is very likely that they will again
hit the pop charts with it. Titled, “Until The Day I Die.” The fern team assisted by a male voice lilt
lightly through the infectious romancer. It is a melodic rhythm piece delivered with a charm and
quality that makes it a strong threat. The reverse end, “Billy Boy,” is a well formed offering, done
nicely, tho the material is not up to the par of “Until The Day I Die.” The gals have one to be reck-
oned with here, watch it.

both sides - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFxshDSd_34

SHIRLEY & LEE (Aladdin 3325)

“LET THE GOOD TIMES ROLL” (2:30) [Aladdin BMI—Lee]
“DO YOU MEAN TO HURT ME SO" (2:29) [Aladdin BMI—Lee]

Shirley & Lee offer two of their best sides in some time. “Let The Good Times Roll” is a middle beat
bouncer with a captivating melody and cute treatment. The duo has that infectious sound that has
won them so many good selling disks. A good side with only one problem. It may face some trouble
getting full airtime. The flip, “Do You Mean To Hurt Me So,” is a slow rhythmic effort that also is done
well and comes out a potent offering. However, for the big impact we think it’s “Let The Good Times
Roll.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wj1yV0K4q1g
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XxhKN2Tubs

BILLY “THE KID” EMERSON (Vee-Jay 175)

“DON’T START ME TO LYING” (2:20) [Conrad BMI—B. Emerson]
Billy “The Kid” Emerson rocks out a middle beat wailing blues with solid reading. “The Kid” sells the
tune impressively and it should make impact in many areas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZ46fj1bXhY

“YOU WON’T STAY HOME” (2:20) [Conrad BMI—B. Emerson]
Emerson rocks out a quick beat on the underlid. It is a happy offering that comes off a good coupler.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flu0LP2Sv5k

LEW WILLIAMS (Imperial 5394)

"CAT TALK” (2:03) [Commodore BMI—L. Williams]
Lew Williams rides out a quick beat jumper that can be tagged a “go go” side. Deck hits on all fours
and the kids will have to move to this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opNm8wyKqUw

"GONE APE MAN” (1:55) [Commodore BMI—L. Williams]
Another quick beat deck with same drive captured. It is a good coupler. Two etchings for the kids to
jump to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uZfFPQnLiA

BILLY STEWART (Chess 1625)

“BILLY’S BLUES” (Parts one and two) [Arc BMI—Stewart Williams]
A two sided instrumental with a captivating sound. An eerie sound and a fascinating tempo can make
this a great programming wax. Watch it.

both sides - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVXi2SG__3c

NAT WILLIAMS AND THE MELLO-TONES (Aries 1014)

“A FRIEND” (2:47) [Aries BMI —Williams, Hozay]
Nat Williams softly moans his troubles. It is a drifty type, intimate offering that one
finds in the dimly lit cafes. Easy to listen to.

“YOU EXCITE ME” (2:15) [Aries BMI—Williams, Hozay]
The flip is a middle beat bouncer with the same intimate delivery. Same comments.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEGnZafwiyI

ROY MILTON (Dootone 398)

“CRY SOME BABY” (2:46) [Dootsie Williams BMI—Milton, Pierce]
Roy Milton weeps a slow paced blues. Good blues reading of a broken love.
Milton creates a mood. Ok deck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Z6XjV2Nd20

"BABY I’M GONE” (2:26) [Dootsie Williams BMI—Roy Milton]
The backer is a middle beat jump that the teener market will find more to
their satisfaction. Deck is a sprightly item and Milton handles it capably as
a big horn and rocking band spice it up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWTOWvjLiho

MABEL KING (Rama 200

"ALABAMA ROCK ’N ROLL” (2:20) [Kahl BMI—Kramer, Herman]
Mabel King rocks out a quick beat rock with an enthusiastic reading. Deck drives and it’s
very much in the groove.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukJO9FAN93c

"I’M GONNA CHANGE” (2:30) [Kahl BMI — Jones, Goldner]
Mabel King makes her debut with the label a strong one as she gives a lusty reading to
a middle beat bouncer blues. Gal really gives out as she sings the number, belting it from
the floor. Very impressive deck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elgj57h0yt0

VOCALTONES (Apollo 492)

“THREE KINDS OF PEOPLE” (2:27) [Bess BMI—Robinson]
The Vocaltones dish up a slow paced love ballad with feeling. The lead performs his chores with dramatic
intentness. Very interesting wax.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUnC2uQX6j0

“DARLING” (2:05) [Bess BMI Duncan, Merenstein]
The Vocaltones get excited and transfer that excitement to the wax. It is a middle beat jumper done with
several vocal twists that appeal to the market. Deck has a strong sales potential.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLsGESQhJxY

DON JULIAN AND THE MEADOWLARKS (Dootone 394)

“PLEASE LOVE A FOOL" (2:52) [Dootsie Williams BMI—Don Julian]
Don Julian and The Meadowlarks blend softly on a slow ballad pretty with a love lyric.
Easy to listen to, tho not too unusual in material and treatment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaAiFgLma1E

“OOP BOOPY OOP” (2:37) [Dootsie Williams BMI —Don Julian]
Julian and the Meadowlarks back with a jump describing a rocking dance. Deck has
the beat for the kids.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYiQbMegKrs

LYNN HOPE (Aladdin 3322)

“BLUES IN F” (2:52) [AladdinBMI—Lynn Hope]
Lynn Hope dishes up a quick beat instrumental with an exciting treatment. Ok jump

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeFySiz581I

“CHERRY” (2:45) [Melody LaneGilbert, Redman]
Melodic rhythm number featuring the Hope horn. Pleasant instrumental wax.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76lPMeikr9g

LIGHTNIN’ SLIM (Excello 2080)

“WONDERIN’ AND GOIN’”(2:55) [Excellorec BMI—Hicks, West]
Lightnin’ Slim wails a middle beat rhythmic blues with deep feeling and solid effect.
Solid offering for the Southern markets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAAd75w0FNc

“GOIN’ HOME” (2:40) [Excellorec BMI—Hicks, West]
Slim wails a slow beat blues on the flip about the gal who has left him. He’s feeling
terrible and gets it across. Moving wax.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhfZWL9BlDo

BILL DOGGETT (King 4936)

“STELLA BY STARLIGHT” (2:54) [Famous ASCAP—Young, Washington]
Bill Doggett paints a slow beat mood picture depicting romance, lazy drifting, hand
in hand ambling down dark lanes, etc, etc. Easy and pleasant listening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhhVvK19Uzc

“WHAT A DIFF’RENCE A DAY MADE” (2:46) [Marck ASCAP—Grever, Adams]
Doggett adds another standard to his growing catalogue as he lilts this familiar pretty.
Delightful listening. Doggett fans will like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5-1EPcsf_s

THE ROBINS (Whippet 201)

“MERRY-GO-ROCK” (2:35)[Criterion Mus, ASCAP—Lubin, Roth]
The Robins dish up a quick beat rocker with a carousel theme and sounds. The deck moves along
at a fast pace and it is ok for the jumpkids.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: 4-23-24 - Cash Box Reviews of The Day - JUNE 30, 1956

<98581f7a9fa67fae1ef3a86789b4d940@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=43219&group=rec.music.rock-pop-r%2Bb.1950s#43219

From: maria...@blueyonder.co.uk (Roger)
Newsgroups: rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s
Subject: Re: 4-23-24 - Cash Box Reviews of The Day - JUNE 30, 1956
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2024 07:25:13 +0000
 by: Roger - Wed, 24 Apr 2024 07:25 UTC

Bruce wrote:

> JUNE 30, 1956

> https://www.worldradiohistory.com/Archive-All-Music/Cash-Box/50s/1956/CB-1956-06-30.pdf

> STAN FREBERG (Capitol 3480; F-3480)

> “HEARTBREAK HOTEL” (2:12) [Tree BMI -— Axton, Durden, Presley]
> The hilarious Mr. Freberg does a take-off on the #1 Elvis Presley smash “Heartbreak Hotel”. Excellent
> novelty that’ll tickle the funny bones of jockeys and the public. Should create a sensation.

> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hazroCi7PWI

> “ROCK ISLAND LINE” (3:21) [Hollis BMI—Donegan]
> An amusing parody, this time on another top disk seller. Good for a healthy chuckle.

> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IR9K-66T1g

Whever I'm feeling a bit down a few minutes of one of the really good Frebergs is a sure fire cure

> NAT WILLIAMS AND THE MELLO-TONES (Aries 1014)

> “A FRIEND” (2:47) [Aries BMI —Williams, Hozay]
> Nat Williams softly moans his troubles. It is a drifty type, intimate offering that one
> finds in the dimly lit cafes. Easy to listen to.

YT clip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pj054EFVO_M

> THE CASH BOX SLEEPER OF THE WEEK

> THE CADETS (Modern 994)

> “STRANDED IN THE JUNGLE” (2:45) [BMI—Johnson, Smith]

> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4h9PbMucPXU

Surely ranks as one of the GREATEST cover records ever!!

> MARTY ROBBINS (Columbia 40706; 4-40706)

> “YOU DON’T OWE ME A THING” (2:41) [Acuff-Rose BMI—Robbins]

> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=385x6kMo514

Sacrilege maybe but I've always thought Johnnie Ray's version of this was a little better

> SKEETS McDONALD (Capitol 3461; F3461)

> “YOU OUGHTA SEE GRANDMA ROCK” (2:20) [Vidor BMI —H. Howard]
> Skeets McDonald tells how the old gal has succumbed to the rock ’n roll craze on a zany, hard driving
> novelty item.

> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mq7Owa8YEnE

> BUCK GRIFFIN (MGM 12284; K12284)

> “STUTTERIN’ PAPA” (2:44) [Lin BMI—Griffin]
> Buck Griffin makes a striking debut on the MGM label with an infectious rock and roll novelty that he
> socks out with a steady beat. It’s a captivating performance on a deck that deserves much attention.

> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kN_vaH4umdQ

These two were absolute ENORMOUS sellers over here when they were...um..reissued in the 70's

Re: 4-23-24 - Cash Box Reviews of The Day - JUNE 30, 1956

<b1a7d4d63494a2addc5c43108a65bd75@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=43220&group=rec.music.rock-pop-r%2Bb.1950s#43220

Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2024 14:34:52 +0000
From: savo...@aol.com (Bruce)
Newsgroups: rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s
 by: Bruce - Wed, 24 Apr 2024 14:34 UTC

Roger wrote:

>> NAT WILLIAMS AND THE MELLO-TONES (Aries 1014)

>> “A FRIEND” (2:47) [Aries BMI —Williams, Hozay]
>> Nat Williams softly moans his troubles. It is a drifty type, intimate offering that one
>> finds in the dimly lit cafes. Easy to listen to.

> YT clip

> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pj054EFVO_M

Thanks, Larry. I wasn't expecting much after hearing the flip.

>> -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

>> THE CASH BOX SLEEPER OF THE WEEK

>> THE CADETS (Modern 994)

>> “STRANDED IN THE JUNGLE” (2:45) [BMI—Johnson, Smith]

>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4h9PbMucPXU

> Surely ranks as one of the GREATEST cover records ever!!

I first heard it in 1round 1972 while mowing the lawn and listening to Casey Kasem count down the top 40 one hit wonders of all time. He played it as an extra. The number one song was "In The Year 2525." There were a few others that got to number one when they were out, "Get A Job," "Little Star" and one or two more.

>> -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

>> MARTY ROBBINS (Columbia 40706; 4-40706)

>> “YOU DON’T OWE ME A THING” (2:41) [Acuff-Rose BMI—Robbins]

>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=385x6kMo514

> Sacrilege maybe but I've always thought Johnnie Ray's version of this was a little better

I can see that. It's not much of a song to begin with.

>> -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

>> SKEETS McDONALD (Capitol 3461; F3461)

>> “YOU OUGHTA SEE GRANDMA ROCK” (2:20) [Vidor BMI —H. Howard]
>> Skeets McDonald tells how the old gal has succumbed to the rock ’n roll craze on a zany, hard driving
>> novelty item.

>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mq7Owa8YEnE

>> BUCK GRIFFIN (MGM 12284; K12284)

>> “STUTTERIN’ PAPA” (2:44) [Lin BMI—Griffin]
>> Buck Griffin makes a striking debut on the MGM label with an infectious rock and roll novelty that he
>> socks out with a steady beat. It’s a captivating performance on a deck that deserves much attention.

>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kN_vaH4umdQ

> These two were absolute ENORMOUS sellers over here when they were...um..reissued in the 70's

I like the other side of the Skeets a little more.

Re: 4-23-24 - Cash Box Reviews of The Day - JUNE 30, 1956

<rc5j2j1ls39ctgg3tkphtfma8l7ch55stb@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=43222&group=rec.music.rock-pop-r%2Bb.1950s#43222

From: letsr...@opbox.com (RWC)
Newsgroups: rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2024 20:16:36 -0400
 by: RWC - Thu, 25 Apr 2024 00:16 UTC

On Wed, 24 Apr 2024 14:34:52 +0000, savoybg@aol.com (Bruce) wrote:

>>> THE CADETS (Modern 994)
>
>>> “STRANDED IN THE JUNGLE” (2:45) [BMI—Johnson, Smith]
>
>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4h9PbMucPXU
>
>> Roger: Surely ranks as one of the GREATEST cover records ever!!
>
>I first heard it in around 1972 while mowing the lawn and listening to Casey Kasem count down the top 40 one hit wonders of all time. He played it as an extra. The number one song was "In The Year 2525." There were a few others that got to number one when they were out, "Get A Job," "Little Star" and one or two more.

American Top 40 Specials:
https://www.at40fan.info/at40/original/specials.html

https://leemichaelwithers.tripod.com/at40special.htm

"July 7, 1973: "Top 40 Disappearing Acts Of the Rock Era" . A strict
countdown of one hit wonders who had only 1 hit on the Hot 100 and had
not appeared on the chart in 2 years. This was the first edition of
this special."
"Unlike other countdowns a subjective criteria of the acts influence
on music was considered in the rankings as well as its chart run. So
some low charting but well remembered songs made the survey, while
some higher charting songs did not."

But wait, there's more!

https://www.reelradio.com/gifts/at40_070773.html
(you have to be registered, which is free, to hear the 3-part show)

"an updated version was produced and aired on April 5, 1975"

Here's an actual list of the top 40 records for this updated version:
http://www.vidiot.com/AT40/PDF/AT40_CueSheet-752-01.pdf

"there was an update on a July 1978 show in which Casey mentioned that
The Singing Nun aka Jeanine Deckers was being hounded by the Belgian
government for failure to pay taxes. Subsequently, The Singing Nun
died of an apparent suicide in March 1985."