From: dvan...@eyrie.org (Dave Van Domelen)
Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Subject: Dave's TF Studio Series Rant: '86 Deluxe Jazz, Kup, Blurr
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2021 04:18:15 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: dvandom@eyrie.org (Dave Van Domelen)
 by: Dave Van Domelen - Fri, 4 Jun 2021 04:18 UTC

Dave's Transformers Studio Series Rant: Deluxe Wave 11

#86.01 Autobot Jazz (not-quite-Porsche sportscar)
#86.02 Kup (Cybertronian pickup)
#86.03 Blurr (Cybertronian racer)

To celebrate the 35th anniversary of Transformers the Movie, characters
from it are getting updated toys in both Generations and Studio Series, and
to distinguish the Studio Series ones from the live action movies, they're
numbering them all as 86 followed by a tiny number...I wonder if they'll
skip #86 in the regular series numbering to avoid extra confusion? As
happened when movie-style "Hunt for the Decepticons" and Generations
packaging split a bunch of characters across them, it's hard to immediately
see any distinction between the two lines, or reasons for including someone
in one line and not the other. For instance, Voyager Scourge is #86-05, but
Voyager Cyclonus is in Kingdom. Studio series seems to limit use of 3mm
studs to weapons, while Kingdom continues to put them on the main figure as
well, but there may be other more subtle differences.
Note, based on the fact I saw half a dozen Blurr before getting my first
Kup, and Jazz took a longer wait to see at all, I'm guessing that the case
assortment is lopsided. Also, the 2020 distribution issues are finally
hitting Transformers hard, with the launch wave of the year getting spotty
distribution and leaving a lot of empty pegs.

CAPSULES

$20 price point.

Autobot Jazz: Okay robot subject to lots of hollowness, challenging but
not frustrating transformation, decent vehicle mode. Recommended.

Kup: Okay robot mode with a cute undocumented gimmick, but the
transformation and resulting altmode feel like they needed Voyager budget to
pull off accepably. Very mildly recommended.

Blurr: Robot mode has too much loose vehicle kibble, vehicle mode held
together by some tabs that are TOO strong and begging to break off, okay
transformation other than those tabs. Mildly recommended.

To be honest, I think all three of these would have been done better as
part of the Kingdom line, with the Kingdom standard design elements.

RANTS

Packaging: It's the same size, shape, and basic layout as previous
Studio Series Deluxes, with a colorful animated movie logo on the front and
on the top. As noted earlier, the assortment numbers are all now 86 in large
font with the individual number in much smaller font. This does make it
harder to quickly scan the side of a peg stack looking for a particular 1986
figure. On the right side, instead of a cut-out showing an Autobot or
Decepticon symbol printed on the red inner tray card, they all have an 86 in
the window. They continue to include backdrops for the scene listed on the
box back.

AUTOBOT: AUTOBOT JAZZ
Assortment: 86.01
Altmode: Sportscar
Transformation Difficulty: 20 steps
Previous Name Use: Yes (mostly recent with the "Autobot" on it)
Previous Mold Use: None
Movie: TFtM
Scene: Moonbase One Destruction

AUTOBOT JAZZ makes a futile escape as UNICRON devours MOONBASE ONE.

Packaging: Three ties hold the robot into the blister, the rifle is held
by one tie, but you don't need to cut it to get the rifle out.
The backdrop is the interior of the Moonbase One control room, with
Cybertron visible out the window.

Robot Mode: This is weird...Studio Series is supposed to go for "looks
like in the movies" as much as possible, and yet this is the first G1-style
Jazz I can remember in quite some time that doesn't have G1-style door
wings. Instead, the doors are rotated 90 degrees and stick out as stubbier
wings. It otherwise looks fine from the front save for the hollow forearms,
but from the back there's significant hollowness problems, as if this were
done by the Cyberverse design team. Colorwise, the blue central stripe on
the chest doesn't go all the way up to the neck, and they decided to not
bother with the sometimes-there gray stripes flanking that.
5.25" (13cm) tall in mostly black, white, and silver, with some blue and
red bits. There's two white plastics, mainly distinguished under UV. The
less glowy white is used on the torso core, shoulder roots, abdomen, hips,
and thighs. The brighter white is used on the chest top, wings, forearms,
gun, boot fenders, toes, and heels. Black plastic is found on the head,
shoulders, biceps, fists, boot cores, and wheels. The center of the backpack
is clear light blue plastic.
The abdomen is painted almost entirely silver, silver is also on the
toes, shins, wheel hubs, face, front grille, and most of the gun (the main
grip and side pegs are left unpainted). The visor and headlights are painted
light blue, while the chest stripe (well, part of a stripe) and belt details
are a darker bright blue. The backpack roof piece is painted white except
for on the window parts, plus a bright blue and bright red stripe down the
middle. The top of the windshield has a black strip, and there's "14" in
black on the door wings. (This is reportedly as an homage to how G2 Jazz had
1 instead of the 4 every other G1-style Jazz did, so 1 and 4 makes 14. I
guess.) The hood Autobot symbol is red on white, and the lower edge of the
chest is painted bright red.
The neck is a restricted ball joint, the waist is a smooth swivel. The
shoulders are a bit weird, there's swivels where they meet the torso, and
then pinned hinges a few millimeters above the axis of the swivel, so the arm
can be lifted above the level of its attachment to the torso. Bicep swivels,
hinge elbows, and the wrists are hinged to swing inwards for transformation.
The hips are more traditional universal joints, there's thigh swivels right
below the hips, and hinge knees. Note, the knee hinges need to be secured
via tabs into the backsides of the shins, or a transformation joint inside
the shin is more likely to bend than the knee. The ankles are hinged to
allow flat feet in legs-apart poses, but do not rock forwards/backwards. The
toes fold down, but that's not very useful.
The hands hold 5mm pegs, there's a 5mm socket in the middle of the back,
and one under each toe. There's a 3mm socket in the back of the pelvis.
The gun is a decent imitation of the G1 toy's gun, ending in a 3mm stud
and held by a 5mm peg. There's short 5mm pegs on either side above the main
grip, presumably so it can be stowed on the back on its side rather than
using the grip.
Not only does he not come with the shoulder launcher the G1 toy had,
there's really no place to put a borrowed one unless you 3-D printed an
adapter.

Transformation: I was able to figure this out without the instructions,
but there's one step that probably took me longer to figure out than the
entire rest of the process...the abdomen piece rotates independently of the
spine in order to make room for the forearms on the underside.
Unfold the backpack and lift it out of the way for now. Lift up the
hood/chest and make CAREFUL note of where the hood gap-filler panel is,
becaus it'll need to go back there for robot mode...just folding it all the
way down won't help. It then needs to be folded all the way in, and then the
head pushed forwards past where it feels like it shouldn't be going in order
to flip over (seriously, I was concerned I was about to break it before it
finally moved correctly...and it's not much better going back). Spin the
abdomen piece without rotating the hips. With the fists stowed in the
forearms (it's pretty hard to get them back OUT, mind you), there's now room
to fold the arms inward and have them flank the head. Make sure the forearms
have their little tabs facing outwards. There's tabs inside the torso that
the forearms push up against, but don't actually slot onto. The legs are
(too) easy to collapse into the boots, then rotate the rear fenders around
and fold up the toes. Then it just remains to snap the backpack and wings
around the top and massage everything into place. The tabs on the forearms
go onto slots on the insides of the doors. The gun goes on the roof. Oh,
and if the center of the hood drops out of position during transformation,
you need to undo at least one arm to get a good enough push on the piece from
inside to shove it back into place.

Vehicle Mode: Another not-quite-Porsche, cartoon-accurate but
unlicensed. The almost comically oversized spoiler is show-accurate, and
also serves to make good heels for the robot. In this mode, it's easy to see
that the blue stripe on the hood is a little lighter than the blue stripoe on
the hood...might be an effect of the underlying plastic, though, especially
if they printed the entire roof at once instead of covering it with white
first and then adding the stripe.
4.75" (12cm) long, half a centimeter shorter if you ignore the robot
toes sticking out in back, making it a little smaller than 1:36 scale for a
Porsche 935. It's mostly white with the blue and red central stripe and
light blue windows. Other than a white hinge interrupting the rear window,
all of the windows are clear light blue plastic. The rest of the body shell
is white plastic, and the wheels are black plastic. The non-window parts of
the top are painted white (rather brighter than the plastic), plus the blue
and red stripe on the roof. There's also a little bit of white paint (which
looks significantly gray in this case) on some black boot plastic between the
rear windows and the rear fenders. The gap-filler of the hood has a blue and
red stripe. The rest of the front end is as described in robot mode. The
wheel hubs are painted silver.
It rolls okay on the wheels, but has deliberately negligible clearance
in front. There's a 5mm socket in the roof, and that's it for connection
points. You can't even use any other robot mode connectors, as they're all
covered up and hidden away.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: Dave's TF Studio Series Rant: '86 Deluxe Jazz, Kup, Blurr

<4f92c55d-4750-420d-87df-18abb2d96c0cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4355&group=alt.toys.transformers#4355

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2021 21:47:54 -0700 (PDT)
From: zmf...@aol.com (Zobovor)
 by: Zobovor - Fri, 4 Jun 2021 04:47 UTC

On Thursday, June 3, 2021 at 10:18:17 PM UTC-6, Dave Van Domelen wrote:

> Note, based on the fact I saw half a dozen Blurr before getting my first
> Kup, and Jazz took a longer wait to see at all, I'm guessing that the case
> assortment is lopsided.

It's Jazz (x3), Blurr (x3), and Kup (x2). For some reason Blurr just pegwarms in a major way. Maybe it's the face sculpt.
> Robot Mode: This is weird...Studio Series is supposed to go for "looks
> like in the movies" as much as possible, and yet this is the first G1-style
> Jazz I can remember in quite some time that doesn't have G1-style door
> wings.

You do know that Jazz doesn't have visible doors in robot mode in the cartoon, right? That's why they went out of their way to hide 'em.

(This is reportedly as an homage to how G2 Jazz had
> 1 instead of the 4 every other G1-style Jazz did, so 1 and 4 makes 14. I
> guess.)

I thought it was because the Porsche Robo from the Diaclone days was collector #14. By accident or design, Jazz was also number #14 on the original 1984 G1 toy checklist.

Zob (I have no pillow, and yet I must sleep)

Re: Dave's TF Studio Series Rant: '86 Deluxe Jazz, Kup, Blurr

<6053ae04-1f16-4e64-a352-7a3ce75564een@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4360&group=alt.toys.transformers#4360

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Sun, 6 Jun 2021 23:47:03 -0700 (PDT)
From: codigopo...@gmail.com (Codigo Postal)
 by: Codigo Postal - Mon, 7 Jun 2021 06:47 UTC