"If you are afraid of loneliness, don't marry." -- Chekhov

interests / alt.toys.transformers / Ron Perlman new voice of Optimus Pimal for Rise of the Beasts

SubjectAuthor
* Ron Perlman new voice of Optimus Pimal for Rise of the BeastsIrrellius Spamticon
+* Re: Ron Perlman new voice of Optimus Pimal for Rise of the BeastsCodigo Postal
|`* Re: Ron Perlman new voice of Optimus Pimal for Rise of the BeastsZobovor
| `- Re: Ron Perlman new voice of Optimus Pimal for Rise of the BeastsCodigo Postal
`- Re: Ron Perlman new voice of Optimus Pimal for Rise of the BeastsGustavo Wombat

1
Ron Perlman new voice of Optimus Pimal for Rise of the Beasts

<b73ef665-3987-4bdc-b217-fd0b54a13d70n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4411&group=alt.toys.transformers#4411

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2021 15:28:54 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Ron Perlman new voice of Optimus Pimal for Rise of the Beasts
From: Ob1ken...@att.net (Irrellius Spamticon)
 by: Irrellius Spamticon - Mon, 28 Jun 2021 22:28 UTC

So they announced the name, "Rise of the Beasts" and that it's going to have Primal, Cheetor, and Airazor, and Peter Cullen as Optimus Prime, as well as set in the 90;s after the 80's success of bumblebee. but we're getting little details here and there now. We know some of the human characters, but we are getting a first hint at the Maximals. I think it will definitely be a new take.

https://collider.com/ron-perlman-optimus-primal-voice-transformers-7-rise-of-the-beasts/

Re: Ron Perlman new voice of Optimus Pimal for Rise of the Beasts

<a96dd163-6783-4238-b53c-05fea7d5edd6n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4417&group=alt.toys.transformers#4417

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2021 04:52:31 -0700 (PDT)
From: codigopo...@gmail.com (Codigo Postal)
 by: Codigo Postal - Tue, 29 Jun 2021 11:52 UTC

On Monday, June 28, 2021 at 6:28:55 PM UTC-4, Ob1k...@att.net wrote:
> So they announced the name, "Rise of the Beasts" and that it's going to have Primal, Cheetor, and Airazor, and Peter Cullen as Optimus Prime, as well as set in the 90;s after the 80's success of bumblebee. but we're getting little details here and there now. We know some of the human characters, but we are getting a first hint at the Maximals. I think it will definitely be a new take.
>
> https://collider.com/ron-perlman-optimus-primal-voice-transformers-7-rise-of-the-beasts/

A terrible decision, and I’m not sure I understand the rationale.

I doubt anyone will base their decision on whether to watch a Transformers film on whether the star of Hellboy is voicing a character (“Boy I hate those CGI robots…but I’ll see it for Ron Perlman!”)

Garry Chalk *is* Optimus Primal in the same way that Peter Cullen is the definitive and the original Optimus Prime.
Chalk’s performance in the original was layered, likable, and frankly legendary.

This is an epic and completely avoidable fail on Paramount’s part.

“It does not inspire confidence…no.."

Re: Ron Perlman new voice of Optimus Pimal for Rise of the Beasts

<822b9cd9-dabc-4c8c-b3e7-fc0c7939c22cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4430&group=alt.toys.transformers#4430

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2021 18:12:21 -0700 (PDT)
From: zmf...@aol.com (Zobovor)
 by: Zobovor - Thu, 1 Jul 2021 01:12 UTC

On Tuesday, June 29, 2021 at 5:52:32 AM UTC-6, Codigo Postal wrote:
> Garry Chalk *is* Optimus Primal in the same way that Peter Cullen is the definitive and the original Optimus Prime.

At the same time, though, I feel like the entire original Beast Wars cast was stellar. In some ways it would be *more* jarring to get Garry Chalk as Primal, but to not have Ian James Corlett or Richard Newman or Scott McNeil or David Kaye reprising their roles.

In some ways, it's better to give movie Primal a different voice, because he's a different iteration of the character in a different continuity. But, I freely admit that I'm prepared to hate Rise of the Beasts in the worst way imaginable (I predict it's going to to for Beast Wars what the 2007 film did for G1; i.e., rape people's childhoods) so the more different movie Primal is from 90's Primal, the better.

Zob (Hasbro Pulse still won't approve the question I've sent three times about whether they're ever going to reissue Generations Selects Overbite)

Re: Ron Perlman new voice of Optimus Pimal for Rise of the Beasts

<3f6bb111-5367-4b7e-a8f2-6fe9cee4bad4n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4433&group=alt.toys.transformers#4433

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2021 21:50:13 -0700 (PDT)
From: codigopo...@gmail.com (Codigo Postal)
 by: Codigo Postal - Thu, 1 Jul 2021 04:50 UTC

On Wednesday, June 30, 2021 at 9:12:22 PM UTC-4, Zobovor wrote:
> On Tuesday, June 29, 2021 at 5:52:32 AM UTC-6, Codigo Postal wrote:
>
> > Garry Chalk *is* Optimus Primal in the same way that Peter Cullen is the definitive and the original Optimus Prime.
> At the same time, though, I feel like the entire original Beast Wars cast was stellar. In some ways it would be *more* jarring to get Garry Chalk as Primal, but to not have Ian James Corlett or Richard Newman or Scott McNeil or David Kaye reprising their roles.

The entire cast was phenomenal, both individually and in how they played off one another. I'd vote to have them all back in a heartbeat.

> In some ways, it's better to give movie Primal a different voice, because he's a different iteration of the character in a different continuity. But, I freely admit that I'm prepared to hate Rise of the Beasts in the worst way imaginable (I predict it's going to to for Beast Wars what the 2007 film did for G1; i.e., rape people's childhoods) so the more different movie Primal is from 90's Primal, the better.

Prior to the 2007 film, we'd had several reboots and iterations of Transformers post-G1 - like the casting of James Bond, a tradition had been established that different actors could inhabit the character of Optimus Prime (Cullen - Kaplan - Chalk), and that different continuities could exist.

But Beast Wars is a singularity; it only ever existed (on television) as a single, self-contained entity, a continuation of G1, and with iconic voice acting by a group of rare talents. They did so much to breathe life into their CGI counterparts - when I look at Kingdom Primal, I can hear Chalk's voice, and similarly with Rattrap, Dinobot, and many others.

It would have been fitting to honor that legacy by bringing back the original voice cast, all of whom richly deserve to have their careers and profiles boosted. I recall the case of Blu Mankuma, our iconic Tigatron, who suffered from kidney failure some years back and needed the help of internet strangers to pay for dialysis (https://fundrazr.com/BluMankuma?ref=ab_6DrHh1WzoAF6DrHh1WzoAF).

Garry Chalk, David Kaye, Scott McNeil, Venus Terzo, and the rest should be as celebrated as Peter Cullen, Frank Welker, and the cast of G1, and this could have been their moment.

That said, I do understand your point - as a fan, perhaps it's best to leave Beast Wars as a fond and unsullied memory. I didn't need to hear Cullen spout lines like "I will kill you!" and "Give me your face," and I don't want "That's just prime," or "Sometimes crazy works," to live alongside some hack producer's decision to have Primal make a bestiality joke.

Re: Ron Perlman new voice of Optimus Pimal for Rise of the Beasts

<sblp8q$10qo$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4437&group=alt.toys.transformers#4437

From: gustavow...@yahoo.com (Gustavo Wombat)
Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2021 01:14:02 +0000 (UTC)
 by: Gustavo Wombat - Fri, 2 Jul 2021 01:14 UTC

Irrellius Spamticon <Ob1kenoby@att.net> wrote:
> So they announced the name, "Rise of the Beasts" and that it's going to
> have Primal, Cheetor, and Airazor, and Peter Cullen as Optimus Prime, as
> well as set in the 90;s after the 80's success of bumblebee. but we're
> getting little details here and there now. We know some of the human
> characters, but we are getting a first hint at the Maximals. I think it
> will definitely be a new take.
>
> https://collider.com/ron-perlman-optimus-primal-voice-transformers-7-rise-of-the-beasts/

I’m more baffled about it taking place in the 90s.

A talking Cheetah was not a good disguise in the 90s. Nor a gorilla. I’m
really not sure a 90s nostalgia fest with talking animals transforming into
robots is going to work out. I’m there for it, but I expect it to be a
disaster.

Cheetor needs to wear flannel. I don’t care how or why.