Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2021 09:05:13 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Zob's Thoughts on the G1 Blaster Reissue (Walmart 2020)
From: codigopo...@gmail.com (Codigo Postal)
 by: Codigo Postal - Wed, 30 Jun 2021 16:05 UTC

On Monday, August 31, 2020 at 10:48:41 PM UTC-4, Zobovor wrote:
> Saw four of these guys on the shelf at work today. Now there are three. I didn't really need another Blaster, but thirty bucks really isn't a lot of money. It's hard for me to pass up minty new G1 reissues when I see them on the shelf. They're just so beautiful.
>
> So if you've bought any of the Walmart reissues, you'll pretty much know what to expect here. The packaging is similar, but not identical, to the G1 packaging from 1985; there are
telltale differences like the dual language text, the fact that he now "converts from radio to robot and back" instead of "transforms" (Hasbro doesn't want to use the term in the lower-case for fear of diluting the trademark), and the tiny disclaimer at the bottom that he "does not operate as radio or cassette player."

> [...]
>
> This is something like the twelfth time this mold has gone into production (if you include Microman and the various editions of Twincast) but the mold is still in surprisingly good shape. Usually, you start to see pock marks or mismatching parts or other evidence of mold degradation by this point, but the parts on the new Blaster fit together just as well as the original..
>
> Rather than reproducing the original G1 instructions, which were drawn in 3/4 view, the Blaster reissue uses different front-facing illustrations. (Blaster has been reissued a bunch of times so I'm not sure whether these drawings are new for this reissue or whether they've been used in the past.) Notably, the instructions are wrong; they say nothing about collapsing the knees or hips to complete the robot mode. (You tend to see lots of photos online of mistransformed Blaster toys, since people seem not to know that the shoulders and hips and knees are designed to telescope. It's weird to see this mistake reproduced by the official sources, though.)
>
> Sadly, there are no reissue cassettes available for Blaster as of this writing. When Hasbro polled the fandom via Facebook and asked whether Blaster or Skywarp should be the next reissue for 2020, the majority was in favor of getting Blaster and his tapes. Maybe we'll get something later on. (Right now, the only way to get the reissue version of all four Autobot cassettes is to buy two different "Big Mission" 4-packs, since Blaster's tapes were split up between two different reissue sets. There aren't even unofficial Zhong Jin versions of them.)
>
> This is one of the more affordable reissues we've gotten, since both Mr. Opt. P. and Soundwave originally retailed at closer to fifty bucks, and they're tiny toys compared to Blaster (who can easily go eye-to-eye with Devastator). Of course, Blaster's only die-cast metal parts are a couple of struts holding his arms in place, so that's probably a contributing factor.
>
> I'd love to see Hasbro continue to offer G1 reissues to Walmart in some capacity. I'd really like to see them branch out into characters who haven't been reissued endlessly, though obviously they're limited somewhat by which molds are available. With the focus on The Transformers: the Movie characters coming for Studio Series, this might be a good time to bring back Ultra Magnus or Kup or maybe even Galvatron. But, I guess time will tell.
>

> Zob (still has the G1 Blaster toy I got for my tenth birthday)

Very glad they decided to rerelease Blaster - despite his many, many reissues over the years, this is the first opportunity I've had to experience the mold.

Picked him up for $15 during Walmart's recent online sale (presumably initiated to compete with Amazon's Prime Day promotions), and he is easily worth twice that much.

His colors pop, his size has presence, and his transformation is sublimely G1 in all the best ways - intuitive, smooth, and fast. With a little more articulation (biceps, hips, knees), he would easily outcompete any number of current releases.

The lack of tapes is a disappointing oversight, and with the shift to Vintage Beast Wars, I wonder if Blaster is the last G1 release we will see for a while.

All in all, a fantastic Transformer who deserves to be on the shelves of more collectors and in the hands of more young fans.

Re: Zob's Thoughts on the G1 Blaster Reissue (Walmart 2020)

<b4918d49-66e1-49f0-a0f1-49852861f900n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4429&group=alt.toys.transformers#4429

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2021 13:41:18 -0700 (PDT)
From: zmf...@aol.com (Zobovor)
 by: Zobovor - Wed, 30 Jun 2021 20:41 UTC

On Wednesday, June 30, 2021 at 10:05:14 AM UTC-6, Codigo Postal wrote:

> All in all, a fantastic Transformer who deserves to be on the shelves of more collectors and in the hands of more young fans.

I think, at one point, he was the one toy I wanted more than any other. I think I asked for him for my birthday in March of 1986, and I remember hoping against hope that he was somehow in the pile of wrapped gifts, despite one clearly being a telescope-shaped box and another being quite obviously a book...

My son was quite enamored with the G1 toy when he was three or four years old. He carried it around everywhere. It's the perfect size for little hands. He's 13 years old now, and I got him his own Blaster reissue. I don't know if he's as excited about it as he would have been ten years ago, but it's the thought that counts, I guess...

Zob (truth be told, he's all about Fortnite, mostly)