Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2021 07:47:47 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Zob's Thoughts on Transformers R.E.D. Optimus Prime, Megatron, Soundwave
From: codigopo...@gmail.com (Codigo Postal)
 by: Codigo Postal - Thu, 1 Jul 2021 14:47 UTC

On Wednesday, September 23, 2020 at 8:11:52 PM UTC-4, Zobovor wrote:
> Got a case of these shipped to Walmart on yesterday's truck (they were still unloading when my shift was ending). Surprisingly, they sat on the pegs all day today until I got off work and bought my set. What, are people not excited about non-transformable Transformers or something?
>
> The packaging has new artwork of each character and is designed to look like the paint on each robot is flaking off and forming the colored swatches on the packaging itself. It's kind of cool.
>
> OPTIMUS PRIME
>
> So it's been a number of years since we got the Mega SCF figures from Japan, which was a similar product (even though they ended up abandoning G1 pretty quickly and ended up focusing almost entirely on Armada characters). The biggest problem with those figures was that the joints weren't really well-integrated into the toys themselves, so you had these great, gappy elbow struts on every figure, and legs that couldn't move much at all. I feel like Hasbro did a better job this time than Takara did the last time around.
>
> Optimus stands at six inches in height, making him the same size as other collectibles on the market like Star Wars Black Series or Marvel Legends (the Mega SCF was closer to four inches). Obviously, he's not to scale with any of them, since he's supposed to be a giant robot. I think they scale pretty well with the various figures of humans that have been packaged with the Masterpiece toys, though.
>
> Each of these toys is designed a little differently. Probably the main gimmick for Optimus is that his chest doors open to reveal a little Matrix accessory. The Matrix is pretty obvious when the doors are closed, so I almost wish they had made the chest windows opaque instead of translucent. Also, for some reason the pelvis and upper legs are white, but the gas tanks on his legs and his smokestacks are grey, and the grill on his abdomen is metallic silver. In a straight reading of the cartoon colors, all of these parts should be white.
>
> His head is mounted on a double ball joint peg, his waist swivels, his hips are universal joints, he's got mid-thigh swivels, double knee joints (the back of his lower leg can touch the back of his upper leg), and his feet are mounted on universal ball joints. Pretty standard stuff, like what you'd expect from Star Wars Black or Marvel Legends.
>
> The arms have joints inside the shoulders so he can swing his arms all the way out to the sides. The squareness of his shoulders was rounded off a little to accomplish this. He's got bicep swivels, single-bend elbow joints, and his wrists are designed to both bend and swivel.
>
> He comes with three sets of fists total. He's got a pair of closed fists, a pair of casual gesturing hands, a right hand meant to hold his gun, and a left hand with the infamous Finger of Doom pointing. Every extra hand has a wrist joint built in.

> [...]

Picked up R.E.D. Megatron on sale at Walmart.com for $11.97, and frankly, he feels worth about that much.

On his own, he's a nice representation of the simplified animation model, and nicely posable. However, I do prefer the harder plastics of the mainline toys, and it's a shame he doesn't quite scale with WfC (too short to scale with Earthrise Prime, sadly).

Click here to read the complete article