From: kfl...@KeithLynch.net (Keith F. Lynch)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.fandom
Subject: New federal do-not-scam list
Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2024 20:15:51 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Keith F. Lynch - Mon, 1 Apr 2024 20:15 UTC

Tired of scam phone calls? Good news: The US federal government just
passed a law mandating a do-not-scam list. Anyone can add their phone
number to this list, after which it's illegal for any scammer, crook,
or scoundrel to call them for the purpose of grift, fraud, extortion,
identity theft, threats, deception, or harassment.

This new list is loosely based on the old do-not-call list. But that
list was useless, as it only applied to marketers, not to scammers or
crooks. That list had no effect since legitimate businesses of course
never called anyone who wasn't already their customer.

I look forward to never again hearing my phone ring unless it's a call
from a friend or relative, or from a legitimate company I have a
business relationship with.
--
Keith F. Lynch - http://keithlynch.net/

Re: New federal do-not-scam list

<uufa22$2nouh$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=4442&group=rec.arts.sf.fandom#4442

From: gar...@mcgath.com (Gary McGath)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.fandom
Subject: Re: New federal do-not-scam list
Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2024 17:47:46 -0400
 by: Gary McGath - Mon, 1 Apr 2024 21:47 UTC

On 4/1/24 4:15 PM, Keith F. Lynch wrote:
> Tired of scam phone calls? Good news: The US federal government just
> passed a law mandating a do-not-scam list. Anyone can add their phone
> number to this list, after which it's illegal for any scammer, crook,
> or scoundrel to call them for the purpose of grift, fraud, extortion,
> identity theft, threats, deception, or harassment.
>
> This new list is loosely based on the old do-not-call list. But that
> list was useless, as it only applied to marketers, not to scammers or
> crooks. That list had no effect since legitimate businesses of course
> never called anyone who wasn't already their customer.
>
> I look forward to never again hearing my phone ring unless it's a call
> from a friend or relative, or from a legitimate company I have a
> business relationship with.

In other April Fools' Day news, I wore my Exeter UFO Festival shirt today.

--
Gary McGath http://www.mcgath.com