In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.

arts / rec.arts.sf.movies / Re: YAMID trying to recall name of SyFy reject level film

SubjectAuthor
* YAMID trying to recall name of SyFy reject level filmdanny burstein
`* Re: YAMID trying to recall name of SyFy reject level filmDimensional Traveler
 +- Re: YAMID trying to recall name of SyFy reject level filmdanny burstein
 +* Re: YAMID trying to recall name of SyFy reject level filmPaul S Person
 |`* Re: YAMID trying to recall name of SyFy reject level filmJibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha
 | `* Re: YAMID trying to recall name of SyFy reject level filmPaul S Person
 |  `- Re: YAMID trying to recall name of SyFy reject level filmJibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha
 `* Re: YAMID trying to recall name of SyFy reject level filmGeorge
  +- Re: YAMID trying to recall name of SyFy reject level filmDimensional Traveler
  `- Re: YAMID trying to recall name of SyFy reject level filmPaul S Person

1
YAMID trying to recall name of SyFy reject level film

<Pine.NEB.4.64.2204191331370.25597@panix1.panix.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=444&group=rec.arts.sf.movies#444

From: dan...@panix.com (danny burstein)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.movies
Subject: YAMID trying to recall name of SyFy reject level film
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2022 13:37:05 +0000
 by: danny burstein - Tue, 19 Apr 2022 13:37 UTC

Set in ... Moscow.

Premise: extra terrestrial creatures are in space ships
that have both an invisibility shield and pretty good armor.

They're destroying Moscow and locate people via electro-magnetic
fields, so there's the obligatory tech-nerd borderline psycho
who's set up his apartment with Faraday level shielding.

We've also got the mandatory Hero of The People who's
emptying his guns at the invaders screaming out something
like "eat Russian steel".

Oh, and the small group the movie's tracking head
over to a submarine which is its own Farady cage
in the local river.

Sound familiar? Thanks
dannyb@panix.com

Re: YAMID trying to recall name of SyFy reject level film

<t3mien$8ko$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=445&group=rec.arts.sf.movies#445

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.movies
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2022 07:54:16 -0700
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Tue, 19 Apr 2022 14:54 UTC

On 4/19/2022 6:37 AM, danny burstein wrote:
> Set in ... Moscow.
>
> Premise:  extra terrestrial creatures are in space ships
> that have both an invisibility shield and pretty good armor.
>
> They're destroying Moscow and locate people via electro-magnetic
> fields, so there's the obligatory tech-nerd borderline psycho
> who's set up his apartment with Faraday level shielding.
>
> We've also got the mandatory Hero of The People who's
> emptying his guns at the invaders screaming out something
> like "eat Russian steel".
>
> Oh, and the small group the movie's tracking head
> over to a submarine which is its own Farady cage
> in the local river.
>
> Sound familiar?  Thanks

The Darkest Hour
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Darkest_Hour_(film)
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1093357/

dirty old man.

Re: YAMID trying to recall name of SyFy reject level film

<t3mm71$juv$1@reader1.panix.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=446&group=rec.arts.sf.movies#446

From: dan...@panix.com (danny burstein)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.movies
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2022 15:58:25 -0000 (UTC)
 by: danny burstein - Tue, 19 Apr 2022 15:58 UTC

In <t3mien$8ko$2@dont-email.me> Dimensional Traveler <dtravel@sonic.net> writes:

[snip]
>> Oh, and the small group the movie's tracking head
>> over to a submarine which is its own Farady cage
>> in the local river.
>>
>> Sound familiar?  Thanks

>The Darkest Hour
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Darkest_Hour_(film)
>https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1093357/

Wait a sec? You mean this film wasn't just
a SyFy slushpile reject but was actually
on the Big Screen?

Thanks. Yeah, that's it.

dannyb@panix.com

Re: YAMID trying to recall name of SyFy reject level film

<00nt5h5ldfg9i5d9bcr3pl8q2lc6ipegi2@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=447&group=rec.arts.sf.movies#447

From: psper...@old.netcom.invalid (Paul S Person)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.movies
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2022 08:59:24 -0700
 by: Paul S Person - Tue, 19 Apr 2022 15:59 UTC

On Tue, 19 Apr 2022 07:54:16 -0700, Dimensional Traveler
<dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:

>On 4/19/2022 6:37 AM, danny burstein wrote:
>> Set in ... Moscow.
>>
>> Premise:  extra terrestrial creatures are in space ships
>> that have both an invisibility shield and pretty good armor.
>>
>> They're destroying Moscow and locate people via electro-magnetic
>> fields, so there's the obligatory tech-nerd borderline psycho
>> who's set up his apartment with Faraday level shielding.
>>
>> We've also got the mandatory Hero of The People who's
>> emptying his guns at the invaders screaming out something
>> like "eat Russian steel".
>>
>> Oh, and the small group the movie's tracking head
>> over to a submarine which is its own Farady cage
>> in the local river.
>>
>> Sound familiar?  Thanks
>
>The Darkest Hour
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Darkest_Hour_(film)
>https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1093357/

.... and if that's a "SyFy reject level film", I may have to start
watching SyFy reject level films on a regular basis.

Still remembered, after all those years.

Definitely worth watching once.
--
"I begin to envy Petronius."
"I have envied him long since."

Re: YAMID trying to recall name of SyFy reject level film

<XnsAE7E68181611Btaustingmail@85.12.62.232>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=448&group=rec.arts.sf.movies#448

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.movies
From: tausti...@gmail.com (Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha)
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2022 10:13:58 -0700
 by: Jibini Kula Tumbili - Tue, 19 Apr 2022 17:13 UTC

Paul S Person <psperson@old.netcom.invalid> wrote in

> On Tue, 19 Apr 2022 07:54:16 -0700, Dimensional Traveler
> <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:
>
>>On 4/19/2022 6:37 AM, danny burstein wrote:
>>> Set in ... Moscow.
>>>
>>> Premise:� extra terrestrial creatures are in space ships
>>> that have both an invisibility shield and pretty good armor.
>>>
>>> They're destroying Moscow and locate people via
>>> electro-magnetic fields, so there's the obligatory tech-nerd
>>> borderline psycho who's set up his apartment with Faraday
>>> level shielding.
>>>
>>> We've also got the mandatory Hero of The People who's
>>> emptying his guns at the invaders screaming out something
>>> like "eat Russian steel".
>>>
>>> Oh, and the small group the movie's tracking head
>>> over to a submarine which is its own Farady cage
>>> in the local river.
>>>
>>> Sound familiar?� Thanks
>>> _____________________________________________________
>>
>>The Darkest Hour
>>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Darkest_Hour_(film)
>>https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1093357/
>
> ... and if that's a "SyFy reject level film", I may have to
> start watching SyFy reject level films on a regular basis.
>
> Still remembered, after all those years.
>
> Definitely worth watching once.

In all likelyhood, if SyFy rejected it, it was because it was too
*good*.

It's a low, low bar.

"He then discovers the alien's weakness when he throws a piece of
the wounded alien he had collected earlier, and it destroys the
unshielded alien."

How do they reproduce if they can't touch each other?

--
Terry Austin

Lynn:
(May 2019 total for people arrested for entering the United States
illegally is over 132,000 for just the southwest border.)

Vacation photos from Iceland:

Re: YAMID trying to recall name of SyFy reject level film

<t3nf5r$chg$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=449&group=rec.arts.sf.movies#449

From: george.r...@gmail.com (George)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.movies
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2022 17:04:27 -0600
 by: George - Tue, 19 Apr 2022 23:04 UTC

Dimensional Traveler <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:

>On 4/19/2022 6:37 AM, danny burstein wrote:
>> Set in ... Moscow.
>>
>> Premise:  extra terrestrial creatures are in space ships
>> that have both an invisibility shield and pretty good armor.

[...]
>The Darkest Hour
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Darkest_Hour_(film)
>https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1093357/

Let's see...

- 12% rating on Rotten Tomatoes
- 4.6 /10 rating on IMDB
- Goofs (on the IMDB page) on the level of "And all the
electricity leaked out"

Yep. Straight off the SyFy slushpile.

Re: YAMID trying to recall name of SyFy reject level film

<t3nk2n$77p$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=450&group=rec.arts.sf.movies#450

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.movies
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2022 17:28:09 -0700
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Wed, 20 Apr 2022 00:28 UTC

On 4/19/2022 4:04 PM, George wrote:
> Dimensional Traveler <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:
>
>> On 4/19/2022 6:37 AM, danny burstein wrote:
>>> Set in ... Moscow.
>>>
>>> Premise:  extra terrestrial creatures are in space ships
>>> that have both an invisibility shield and pretty good armor.
>>>
> [...]
>>> _____________________________________________________
>>
>> The Darkest Hour
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Darkest_Hour_(film)
>> https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1093357/
>
> Let's see...
>
> - 12% rating on Rotten Tomatoes
> - 4.6 /10 rating on IMDB
> - Goofs (on the IMDB page) on the level of "And all the
> electricity leaked out"
>
> Yep. Straight off the SyFy slushpile.

A lot of the Syfy "slush pile" were Asylum productions or other homages
to the old low budget B movies. They aren't trying to win prizes, just
be entertaining for cheap enough to make some money. The "So bad its
fun" school of movie making.

The Darkest Hour isn't good enough to be one of those.

Watch out for the Sharknado on your way out. ;)

dirty old man.

Re: YAMID trying to recall name of SyFy reject level film

<c3b06htnedt8rbd1rvtgk1330qekbn8qbc@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=451&group=rec.arts.sf.movies#451

From: psper...@old.netcom.invalid (Paul S Person)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.movies
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2022 08:56:11 -0700
 by: Paul S Person - Wed, 20 Apr 2022 15:56 UTC

On Tue, 19 Apr 2022 10:13:58 -0700, Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha
<taustinca@gmail.com> wrote:

>Paul S Person <psperson@old.netcom.invalid> wrote in
>
>> On Tue, 19 Apr 2022 07:54:16 -0700, Dimensional Traveler
>> <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:

>>>The Darkest Hour
>>>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Darkest_Hour_(film)
>>>https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1093357/
>>
>> ... and if that's a "SyFy reject level film", I may have to
>> start watching SyFy reject level films on a regular basis.
>>
>> Still remembered, after all those years.
>>
>> Definitely worth watching once.
>
>In all likelyhood, if SyFy rejected it, it was because it was too
>*good*.
>
>It's a low, low bar.
>
>"He then discovers the alien's weakness when he throws a piece of
>the wounded alien he had collected earlier, and it destroys the
>unshielded alien."

Sadly, while I remember it, I don't remember all the details,
including this one.

>How do they reproduce if they can't touch each other?

I don't recall that ever being mentioned.

But maybe they fission.

Or maybe they have three "genders", and these two happen to be ...
incompatible.

They are, after all /space aliens/.

There are more ways to reproduce than (it appears) are dreamt of in
your philosophy.
--
"I begin to envy Petronius."
"I have envied him long since."

Re: YAMID trying to recall name of SyFy reject level film

<qab06h5kjs391jal73qbhqptu81q2pk2ra@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=452&group=rec.arts.sf.movies#452

From: psper...@old.netcom.invalid (Paul S Person)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.movies
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2022 09:11:26 -0700
 by: Paul S Person - Wed, 20 Apr 2022 16:11 UTC

On Tue, 19 Apr 2022 17:04:27 -0600, George <george.ruch74@gmail.com>
wrote:

>Dimensional Traveler <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote:
>
>>On 4/19/2022 6:37 AM, danny burstein wrote:
>>> Set in ... Moscow.
>>>
>>> Premise:  extra terrestrial creatures are in space ships
>>> that have both an invisibility shield and pretty good armor.
>>>
>[...]
>>> _____________________________________________________
>>
>>The Darkest Hour
>>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Darkest_Hour_(film)
>>https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1093357/
>
>Let's see...
>
>- 12% rating on Rotten Tomatoes
>- 4.6 /10 rating on IMDB
>- Goofs (on the IMDB page) on the level of "And all the
>electricity leaked out"
>
>Yep. Straight off the SyFy slushpile.

During the recent kerfluffle, I identified, listed, curated, and
rented a /lot/ of movies with IMDb ratings below 6. Including below 5,
if the subject interested me.

Almost all of them were definitely better than watching paint dry,
something that cannot be said of a lot of biopics with much higher
IMDb ratings by Famous Directors.

How does someone who clearly knows how to make a very good movie make
a film about a plane landing in the Hudson River and make it so dull
that the scenes of the crash are uninteresting? How does someone who
clearly knows how to make a really good movie make one about of music
group that is so dull that he, himself, insists on ending it with a
nice, peppy dance number because he knows that, otherwise, the faces
of the audience going out will discourage anyone else from ever going
in?

Many of them were actually entertaining, at least if you paid
attention to the movie and not your inner critic.

A very few were actually quite good. But there have always been
low-cost films that were actually quite good. Just not a lot of them.

And, BTW, the really useful part of IMDb isn't the rating
(particularly if based on less than 100 votes, which is often the case
for obscure films), but rather the reviews. Not the one-line "10" and
"1" reviews; the multiline reviews that actually say something about
the film. As opposed to saying something (generally not very
complimentary) about the reviewer.
--
"I begin to envy Petronius."
"I have envied him long since."

Re: YAMID trying to recall name of SyFy reject level film

<XnsAE7F728B440E0taustingmail@85.12.62.245>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=453&group=rec.arts.sf.movies#453

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.movies
From: tausti...@gmail.com (Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha)
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2022 11:15:36 -0700
 by: Jibini Kula Tumbili - Wed, 20 Apr 2022 18:15 UTC

> On Tue, 19 Apr 2022 10:13:58 -0700, Jibini Kula Tumbili
> Kujisalimisha <taustinca@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Paul S Person <psperson@old.netcom.invalid> wrote in

>>> ... and if that's a "SyFy reject level film", I may have to
>>> start watching SyFy reject level films on a regular basis.
>>>
>>> Still remembered, after all those years.
>>>
>>> Definitely worth watching once.
>>
>>In all likelyhood, if SyFy rejected it, it was because it was
>>too *good*.
>>
>>It's a low, low bar.
>>
>>"He then discovers the alien's weakness when he throws a piece
>>of the wounded alien he had collected earlier, and it destroys
>>the unshielded alien."
>
> Sadly, while I remember it, I don't remember all the details,
> including this one.

Perhaps you drilled holes in your head with a power tool to forget?

>>How do they reproduce if they can't touch each other?
>
> I don't recall that ever being mentioned.
>
> But maybe they fission.
>
> Or maybe they have three "genders", and these two happen to be
> ... incompatible.
>
> They are, after all /space aliens/.

You're dangerously close to fanwaking there, son.

> There are more ways to reproduce than (it appears) are dreamt of
> in your philosophy.

Unless they are born as full adults, it seems unlikely child
rearing wouldn't be problematic, as well.