Pauca sed matura. [Few but excellent.] -- Gauss

arts / rec.music.beatles / John's Idea For An Asylum

SubjectAuthor
* John's Idea For An AsylumNorbert K
`- Re: John's Idea For An AsylumNorbert K

1
John's Idea For An Asylum

<128be983-2dfe-41bb-b68e-fea263d1a4dbn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=4488&group=rec.music.beatles#4488

Newsgroups: rec.music.beatles
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2023 10:43:08 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: John's Idea For An Asylum
From: norbertk...@gmail.com (Norbert K)
 by: Norbert K - Mon, 20 Mar 2023 17:43 UTC

The next few days passed quietly, and John was gentle and sweet to me. Then he had a brainstorm.

"There should be an asylum somewhere for aged rock'n'rollers. Then we can all be put in padded cells where we belong." He thought for a second.. "Let's open up an asylum. We should all rent a house and live together. Then we can watch Harry [Nilsson], save money, and make sure all the musicians get to the studio on time when we begin to work on Harry's album. "

I shuddered. Meanwhile, John told Harry, who naturally loved the idea, and Harry, always the organizer, had Bruce Grakal look for a house. Before I knew it, John and Harry had invited Ringo, Keith Moon, Hilary Gerrard and Klaus Voorman and his girlfriend Cynthia Webb, to live with us.

John loved the ocean and wanted to live near it, and in a day or two a large house on Santa Monica Beach had been located -- a house that had five bedrooms. We drove out to look at it. It was a large, airy, two-storied house with a pool behind it, and it had direct access to the beach. The kitchen, a mirrored dining room and a small study were on the first floor, well as a large living room that housed a piano and a billiard table. A spiral staircase led to the bedrooms and a den. The rental agent told us that it had been built by Louis B. Mayer and had once been Peter Lawford's house. The rumor was that it had been the house in which Marilyn Monroe's affairs with Jack and Bobby Kennedy had taken place. John was intrigued to learn that we would be sleeping in the same bedroom in which these alleged assignations had occurred.

-- from Loving John by May Pang

Re: John's Idea For An Asylum

<3bc42335-e6cd-4b0b-9b52-e2fa67c20635n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=4493&group=rec.music.beatles#4493

Newsgroups: rec.music.beatles
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2023 06:20:43 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: John's Idea For An Asylum
From: norbertk...@gmail.com (Norbert K)
 by: Norbert K - Tue, 21 Mar 2023 13:20 UTC

On Monday, March 20, 2023 at 10:43:10 AM UTC-7, Norbert K wrote:
> The next few days passed quietly, and John was gentle and sweet to me. Then he had a brainstorm.
>
> "There should be an asylum somewhere for aged rock'n'rollers. Then we can all be put in padded cells where we belong." He thought for a second. "Let's open up an asylum. We should all rent a house and live together. Then we can watch Harry [Nilsson], save money, and make sure all the musicians get to the studio on time when we begin to work on Harry's album. "
>
> I shuddered. Meanwhile, John told Harry, who naturally loved the idea, and Harry, always the organizer, had Bruce Grakal look for a house. Before I knew it, John and Harry had invited Ringo, Keith Moon, Hilary Gerrard and Klaus Voorman and his girlfriend Cynthia Webb, to live with us.
>
> John loved the ocean and wanted to live near it, and in a day or two a large house on Santa Monica Beach had been located -- a house that had five bedrooms. We drove out to look at it. It was a large, airy, two-storied house with a pool behind it, and it had direct access to the beach. The kitchen, a mirrored dining room and a small study were on the first floor, well as a large living room that housed a piano and a billiard table. A spiral staircase led to the bedrooms and a den. The rental agent told us that it had been built by Louis B. Mayer and had once been Peter Lawford's house. The rumor was that it had been the house in which Marilyn Monroe's affairs with Jack and Bobby Kennedy had taken place. John was intrigued to learn that we would be sleeping in the same bedroom in which these alleged assignations had occurred.
>
> -- from Loving John by May Pang

There are images and video of this house available online. The address is 625 Palisades Beach Road in Santa Monica. It is quite grand, and I have trouble imagining a more idyllic location.

Peter Lawford and his wife Patricia Kennedy bought the place in the 1950s. They gave it up upon divorcing, which was occasioned by Lawford's unfaithfulness (something he may have picked up from his brothers-in-law, JFK and RFK) and increasingly heavy boozing and drugging.