A conclusion is simply the place where someone got tired of thinking.

arts / rec.music.beatles / Re: ELO - "Evil Woman" question

SubjectAuthor
* ELO - "Evil Woman" questionsuper70s
+* Re: ELO - "Evil Woman" questionRink
|`- Re: ELO - "Evil Woman" questionsuper70s
`- Re: ELO - "Evil Woman" questionPluted Pup

1
ELO - "Evil Woman" question

<super70s-11C8FB.19340924012023@reader01.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=4267&group=rec.music.beatles#4267

From: super...@super70s.invalid (super70s)
Newsgroups: rec.music.beatles,alt.music.elo
Subject: ELO - "Evil Woman" question
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2023 19:34:09 -0600
 by: super70s - Wed, 25 Jan 2023 01:34 UTC

Does anybody know anything about an "unedited version" of ELO's "Evil
Woman"?

I just heard this version on an online station (RadioStorm - Classic
Rock - http://streaming.live365.com/b47785_128mp3), and the second verse
had a completely new set of lyrics I'd never heard before, neither on
the single version or the Face The Music album version.

I have an ELO FAQ (last updated in 1999) and it mentions nothing about
an "unedited version" of "Evil Woman."

The Wiki page for "Evil Woman" mentions nothing about another version,
but apparently there's an "Evil Woman - long version + lyrics" on
YouTube.

Getting back to the Beatles, this was one of the tracks Jeff Lynne
played (the other one "Mr. Blue Sky") at the Grammys a few years ago and
sometimes the camera went to Paul in the audience really digging it.

Re: ELO - "Evil Woman" question

<ts5lo2$12nts$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=4354&group=rec.music.beatles#4354

From: rink.hof...@planet.nl (Rink)
Newsgroups: rec.music.beatles,alt.music.elo
Subject: Re: ELO - "Evil Woman" question
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2023 15:52:44 +0100
 by: Rink - Fri, 10 Feb 2023 14:52 UTC

Op 25-1-2023 om 2:34 schreef super70s:
> Does anybody know anything about an "unedited version" of ELO's "Evil
> Woman"?
>
> I just heard this version on an online station (RadioStorm - Classic
> Rock - http://streaming.live365.com/b47785_128mp3), and the second verse
> had a completely new set of lyrics I'd never heard before, neither on
> the single version or the Face The Music album version.
>
> I have an ELO FAQ (last updated in 1999) and it mentions nothing about
> an "unedited version" of "Evil Woman."
>
> The Wiki page for "Evil Woman" mentions nothing about another version,
> but apparently there's an "Evil Woman - long version + lyrics" on
> YouTube.
>
> Getting back to the Beatles, this was one of the tracks Jeff Lynne
> played (the other one "Mr. Blue Sky") at the Grammys a few years ago and
> sometimes the camera went to Paul in the audience really digging it.

I found a comment under the lyrics of Evil Woman at:
<https://songmeanings.com/songs/view/113014/>

It says:

---------

In 2006, "Face the Music" was re-released,
with several bonus tracks, including a different,
"Stripped Down Mix" version of "Evil Woman".
That version includes a fourth verse:

Hang out for just a while
And I'll tell you a story that'll make you smile
'Bout a dark-eyed woman with a Cadillac
But all she had was on her back
Well, a fool rushed in, and thought he saw
Just the kind of woman that he'd adore
She lay beside him and turned on her charms
But this devil's woman sure knows how to do you wrong

Kenobi65
on February 21, 2007

----------

Direct link to this comment:
<https://songmeanings.com/songs/view/113014/?&specific_com=73015229103#comments>

So: a bonus version to the re-released album Face the Music...

Is this what you heard?

Rink

Re: ELO - "Evil Woman" question

<0001HW.29AE9F9600792841305A9338F@news.giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=4431&group=rec.music.beatles#4431

Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2023 12:46:14 -0800
From: pluted...@outlook.com (Pluted Pup)
Newsgroups: rec.music.beatles, alt.music.elo
 by: Pluted Pup - Tue, 28 Feb 2023 20:46 UTC

Evil Woman by the Doobie Brothers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frM9GsGSv-s

Re: ELO - "Evil Woman" question

<tvehqa$ikqv$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=4501&group=rec.music.beatles#4501

From: super...@super70s.invalid (super70s)
Newsgroups: rec.music.beatles
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2023 04:29:46 -0500
 by: super70s - Wed, 22 Mar 2023 09:29 UTC

On 2023-02-10 14:52:44 +0000, Rink said:

> Op 25-1-2023 om 2:34 schreef super70s:
>> Does anybody know anything about an "unedited version" of ELO's "Evil
>> Woman"?
>>
>> I just heard this version on an online station (RadioStorm - Classic
>> Rock - http://streaming.live365.com/b47785_128mp3), and the second verse
>> had a completely new set of lyrics I'd never heard before, neither on
>> the single version or the Face The Music album version.
>>
>> I have an ELO FAQ (last updated in 1999) and it mentions nothing about
>> an "unedited version" of "Evil Woman."
>>
>> The Wiki page for "Evil Woman" mentions nothing about another version,
>> but apparently there's an "Evil Woman - long version + lyrics" on
>> YouTube.
>>
>> Getting back to the Beatles, this was one of the tracks Jeff Lynne
>> played (the other one "Mr. Blue Sky") at the Grammys a few years ago and
>> sometimes the camera went to Paul in the audience really digging it.
>>

> I found a comment under the lyrics of Evil Woman at:
> <https://songmeanings.com/songs/view/113014/>
>
> It says:
>
> ---------
>
> In 2006, "Face the Music" was re-released,
> with several bonus tracks, including a different,
> "Stripped Down Mix" version of "Evil Woman".
> That version includes a fourth verse:
>
> Hang out for just a while
> And I'll tell you a story that'll make you smile
> 'Bout a dark-eyed woman with a Cadillac
> But all she had was on her back
> Well, a fool rushed in, and thought he saw
> Just the kind of woman that he'd adore
> She lay beside him and turned on her charms
> But this devil's woman sure knows how to do you wrong
>
> Kenobi65
> on February 21, 2007
>
> ----------
>
> Direct link to this comment:
> <https://songmeanings.com/songs/view/113014/?&specific_com=73015229103#comments>
>

> So: a bonus version to the re-released album Face the Music...
>
> Is this what you heard?
>
> Rink

I would bet that's what I heard and I was not aware of a re-released
Face the Music with bonus tracks (it's such a perfect album -- ELO's
finest IMO -- I don't think I'd want bonus tracks stuck on at the end
so if I ever encountered it in a store I probably passed).

I guess sometimes radio stations like to throw you a loop just to break
the monotony.

Thanks, I appreciate the info.