Newsgroups: rec.music.beatles
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2023 10:55:25 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Aunty Jinny Goes To London To Check On Paul
From: Savo...@aol.com (Bruce)
 by: Bruce - Thu, 27 Apr 2023 17:55 UTC

By Robbie Thornton

"I remember my mum telling me about a family meeting after Aunty Jinny had been sent down to London, to big London, to sort him out because they'd heard that there had been some pot smoking going on.

The Maharishi and all those weird Indian sort of religion things where they smoke marijuana... What's going on?

Aunty Jin came back and everyone was saying 'How is Paul, alright?'
And she just got out this big reefer and started spliffing up and passed it around...You know you feel very relaxed"

Paul's Liverpool cousin telling Aunty Jin's story of her trip to London to check on Paul

Source: BBC Documentary 'There's Only One Paul McCartney', YouTube

Robbie's Commentary

I watched the first ten minutes of the documentary and in Meryl Streep's words in the video, was totally gobsmacked. Here, as well as great footage the boys, were wonderful quotes from many celebrities like Bono, Elvis Costello, Bob Geldof, Dustin Hoffman and Michael Parkinson, that I have never heard before.

A veritable treasure trove that I could mine for my features.

Mike Montana and I then watched the whole thing together and had to stop and rewind it on the Aunty Jin story, both of us in fits of laughter.

There's something absolutely endearing about Aunty Jin being sent to check up on Paul and perhaps attempt to straighten him out if needed, then have her come back to report and have her roll a large joint and pass it around.

It's perhaps not so surprising when he is described in the video by many as 'the cute one', the charmer and a diplomat who has a knack of putting everyone at ease.

Indeed, we and the rest of the world all know

'There's Only One Paul McCartney' 🍏