To be is to be related. -- C. J. Keyser.

interests / alt.toys.transformers / Re: The passage of time, and increasingly-archaic alternate modes

SubjectAuthor
* The passage of time, and increasingly-archaic alternate modesJoseph Bardsley
+* Re: The passage of time, and increasingly-archaic alternate modesZobovor
|+- Re: The passage of time, and increasingly-archaic alternate modesSky Raider
|`- Re: The passage of time, and increasingly-archaic alternate modesGustavo Wombat
`* Re: The passage of time, and increasingly-archaic alternate modesCodigo Postal
 +* Re: The passage of time, and increasingly-archaic alternate modesJoseph Bardsley
 |`* Re: The passage of time, and increasingly-archaic alternate modesCodigo Postal
 | `* Re: The passage of time, and increasingly-archaic alternate modesJoseph Bardsley
 |  `* Re: The passage of time, and increasingly-archaic alternate modesCodigo Postal
 |   `- Re: The passage of time, and increasingly-archaic alternate modesJoseph Bardsley
 `* Re: The passage of time, and increasingly-archaic alternate modesSky Raider
  `- Re: The passage of time, and increasingly-archaic alternate modesJoseph Bardsley

1
The passage of time, and increasingly-archaic alternate modes

<36b39247-407a-4824-a3d4-885b2b5286b8n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4646&group=alt.toys.transformers#4646

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2021 19:03:43 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: The passage of time, and increasingly-archaic alternate modes
From: joe.bard...@gmail.com (Joseph Bardsley)
 by: Joseph Bardsley - Sun, 29 Aug 2021 02:03 UTC

All of the talk this month about TFTM's 35th anniversary has me thinking about the passage of time as relates to our fandom in general.

So many of the original G1 characters that enabled everything to take flight back in 1984 are based on vehicles, technology, and other items that are now dated to varying degrees.

Add to that the fact that many of these inaugural characters were based on toys from as early as 1974, and many of these alternate modes are beginning to show their age. Which I kind of love, actually, because it reinforces the fact that, in-universe, these are characters who took on alternate modes *of the time* to maintain some semblance of subterfuge and disguise while engaged in battle on Earth.

With their chosen alternate modes now appearing out of step with the world at large, it roots the characters and their stories nicely in a particular time and place, and reminds us that, had the War unfolded even a bit differently, some of the most iconic alternate modes - cassettes, WWII-era sidearms, F-15 Eagles, and the like - would likely present very differently.

Beyond the obvious contenders for dated alternate modes - Soundwave, Blaster, and their respective cassette companions, Reflector, Starscream, Skywarp, and Thundercracker - what are some of your "favorites"? (Astrotrain is one of mine).

Just some interesting food for thought. And, in this context, I wonder - are characters like the Insecticons and Predacons and Dinobots more "timeless"?

Hope everyone's doing well,

Joseph

Re: The passage of time, and increasingly-archaic alternate modes

<02d73a6a-1eee-43a5-832b-91fd7f6a3f9cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4647&group=alt.toys.transformers#4647

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2021 20:48:20 -0700 (PDT)
From: zmf...@aol.com (Zobovor)
 by: Zobovor - Sun, 29 Aug 2021 03:48 UTC

On Saturday, August 28, 2021 at 8:03:44 PM UTC-6, Joseph Bardsley wrote:
> Add to that the fact that many of these inaugural characters were based on toys from as early as 1974, and many of these alternate modes are beginning to show their age. Which I kind of love, actually, because it reinforces the fact that, in-universe, these are characters who took on alternate modes *of the time* to maintain some semblance of subterfuge and disguise while engaged in battle on Earth.

In some ways, the vehicle modes they chose tends to strain credibility. If they were really, truly, sincerely attempting to be robots in disguise, they wouldn't have chosen the form of so many high-performance sports cars and racing machines. Where were the robots who turned into phone booths and refrigerators and rotary telephones and mail boxes?

Something else that occurs to me is that we got very few automobiles from the 1990's, since that was the era during which Hasbro largely rejected cars and planes for mammals and reptiles. It's a shame, since there were a few cars from that period that would have made great Transformers, like the Porsche 911 or the McLaren F1 or the Ferrari F40.
> Beyond the obvious contenders for dated alternate modes - Soundwave, Blaster, and their respective cassette companions, Reflector, Starscream, Skywarp, and Thundercracker - what are some of your "favorites"? (Astrotrain is one of mine).

The Lamborghini Countach is one of my favorite automobiles ever. I don't care how old it is. Also very fond of the Datsun 280-ZX.
> Just some interesting food for thought. And, in this context, I wonder - are characters like the Insecticons and Predacons and Dinobots more "timeless"?
It's like Sia sings: "Dinosaurs are forever, not just for Christmas!" Or maybe that was puppies. Well, anyway. Yeah, dinosaurs are timeless. Of course, there are little things like modern-day depictions of T. rex using his tail to counter-balance the weight of his head, rather than Grimlock's tendency to drag his tail on the ground. But, pretty much all Grimlock toys can be configured in either fashion, depending on your liking.

Zob (given the popularity of certain animals right now, today we'd probably get a Scramble City style team of Transformers who turned into a llama, a unicorn, a sloth, a narwhal, and an axolotl)

Re: The passage of time, and increasingly-archaic alternate modes

<b7d9487b-7401-48f4-ad5f-c4d975251279n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4648&group=alt.toys.transformers#4648

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2021 06:45:49 -0700 (PDT)
From: rivervie...@gmail.com (Sky Raider)
 by: Sky Raider - Sun, 29 Aug 2021 13:45 UTC

On Saturday, August 28, 2021 at 11:48:21 PM UTC-4, Zobovor wrote:
> On Saturday, August 28, 2021 at 8:03:44 PM UTC-6, Joseph Bardsley wrote:
>
> > Add to that the fact that many of these inaugural characters were based on toys from as early as 1974, and many of these alternate modes are beginning to show their age. Which I kind of love, actually, because it reinforces the fact that, in-universe, these are characters who took on alternate modes *of the time* to maintain some semblance of subterfuge and disguise while engaged in battle on Earth.
> In some ways, the vehicle modes they chose tends to strain credibility. If they were really, truly, sincerely attempting to be robots in disguise, they wouldn't have chosen the form of so many high-performance sports cars and racing machines. Where were the robots who turned into phone booths and refrigerators and rotary telephones and mail boxes?

I like how the TF's seemed to take a "broad strokes" approach to their Earth disguises. And how guys like Jazz, Wheeljack, and Smokescreen, who are based on one specific car, or Mirage, whose alt mode isn't even street legal, would kind of just miss the point. "What's the problem? We're still cars, right?" Some of the little details of how things work on this planet would just be lost on them.

To answer Joseph's question, I have to agree with Zob that the Countach and the Fairlady are the most iconic Autobot alt modes, along with Prime's freightliner truck of course. For the Decepticons it's the F-15 Eagle, my favorite jet. When we've had some newer G1 continuities like IDW that update the alt modes into things like Lambo Gallorados, F-22 Raptors, etc, it's just not the same. And this isn't a "gee-wun" purist thing, I just think a lot of our technology from the 70s and 80s was cooler looking anyway. Our cars and jets are uglier than they used to be, and that has nothing to do with Transformers. It's just real life.

Re: The passage of time, and increasingly-archaic alternate modes

<57ff5c21-b536-487c-a25b-3c918c141143n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4655&group=alt.toys.transformers#4655

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2021 21:21:33 -0700 (PDT)
From: codigopo...@gmail.com (Codigo Postal)
 by: Codigo Postal - Mon, 30 Aug 2021 04:21 UTC

On Saturday, August 28, 2021 at 10:03:44 PM UTC-4, Joseph Bardsley wrote:
> All of the talk this month about TFTM's 35th anniversary has me thinking about the passage of time as relates to our fandom in general.
>
> So many of the original G1 characters that enabled everything to take flight back in 1984 are based on vehicles, technology, and other items that are now dated to varying degrees.
>
> Add to that the fact that many of these inaugural characters were based on toys from as early as 1974, and many of these alternate modes are beginning to show their age. Which I kind of love, actually, because it reinforces the fact that, in-universe, these are characters who took on alternate modes *of the time* to maintain some semblance of subterfuge and disguise while engaged in battle on Earth.
>
> With their chosen alternate modes now appearing out of step with the world at large, it roots the characters and their stories nicely in a particular time and place, and reminds us that, had the War unfolded even a bit differently, some of the most iconic alternate modes - cassettes, WWII-era sidearms, F-15 Eagles, and the like - would likely present very differently.
>
> Beyond the obvious contenders for dated alternate modes - Soundwave, Blaster, and their respective cassette companions, Reflector, Starscream, Skywarp, and Thundercracker - what are some of your "favorites"? (Astrotrain is one of mine).
>
> Just some interesting food for thought. And, in this context, I wonder - are characters like the Insecticons and Predacons and Dinobots more "timeless"?
>
> Hope everyone's doing well,
>
> Joseph

I'm rather a fan of retrofuturism, the image of the future as projected by the denizens of the past, a concept that has inspired so much of the synthwave movement of recent years.

In that vein, my personal favorite would have to be Hot Rod, a 1986 conception of what a cool ride would look like in the far flung future of *checks watch* sixteen years ago!

As far as the 1984 cast, I appreciate how their pop culture footprint is keeping those alt modes alive in the general consciousness, rather than allowing them to be forgotten as mere curios of a distant era.

Re: The passage of time, and increasingly-archaic alternate modes

<sgho0n$1g3t$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4656&group=alt.toys.transformers#4656

From: gustavow...@yahoo.com (Gustavo Wombat)
Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2021 04:49:27 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Gustavo Wombat - Mon, 30 Aug 2021 04:49 UTC

Zobovor <zmfts@aol.com> wrote:

> Zob (given the popularity of certain animals right now, today we'd
> probably get a Scramble City style team of Transformers who turned into a
> llama, a unicorn, a sloth, a narwhal, and an axolotl)

And I would love it. Not big into narwhals, but I could accept it.
Capybaras are where it’s at. Maybe a red panda.

Re: The passage of time, and increasingly-archaic alternate modes

<849a6b6b-fb32-4148-94c6-443119f359b2n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4657&group=alt.toys.transformers#4657

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2021 22:47:24 -0700 (PDT)
From: joe.bard...@gmail.com (Joseph Bardsley)
 by: Joseph Bardsley - Mon, 30 Aug 2021 05:47 UTC

On Sunday, August 29, 2021 at 9:21:34 PM UTC-7, Codigo Postal wrote:
> On Saturday, August 28, 2021 at 10:03:44 PM UTC-4, Joseph Bardsley wrote:
> > All of the talk this month about TFTM's 35th anniversary has me thinking about the passage of time as relates to our fandom in general.
> >
> > So many of the original G1 characters that enabled everything to take flight back in 1984 are based on vehicles, technology, and other items that are now dated to varying degrees.
> >
> > Add to that the fact that many of these inaugural characters were based on toys from as early as 1974, and many of these alternate modes are beginning to show their age. Which I kind of love, actually, because it reinforces the fact that, in-universe, these are characters who took on alternate modes *of the time* to maintain some semblance of subterfuge and disguise while engaged in battle on Earth.
> >
> > With their chosen alternate modes now appearing out of step with the world at large, it roots the characters and their stories nicely in a particular time and place, and reminds us that, had the War unfolded even a bit differently, some of the most iconic alternate modes - cassettes, WWII-era sidearms, F-15 Eagles, and the like - would likely present very differently.
> >
> > Beyond the obvious contenders for dated alternate modes - Soundwave, Blaster, and their respective cassette companions, Reflector, Starscream, Skywarp, and Thundercracker - what are some of your "favorites"? (Astrotrain is one of mine).
> >
> > Just some interesting food for thought. And, in this context, I wonder - are characters like the Insecticons and Predacons and Dinobots more "timeless"?
> >
> > Hope everyone's doing well,
> >
> > Joseph
> I'm rather a fan of retrofuturism, the image of the future as projected by the denizens of the past, a concept that has inspired so much of the synthwave movement of recent years.
>
> In that vein, my personal favorite would have to be Hot Rod, a 1986 conception of what a cool ride would look like in the far flung future of *checks watch* sixteen years ago!
>
> As far as the 1984 cast, I appreciate how their pop culture footprint is keeping those alt modes alive in the general consciousness, rather than allowing them to be forgotten as mere curios of a distant era.

Are you a Star Trek fan at all, CP? I ask because - if so - Voyager is such a shining and unique example of retrofuturism to me. (Good old Captain Proton and Queen Arachnia!) Some very enjoyable episodes and moments.

:)

JB

Re: The passage of time, and increasingly-archaic alternate modes

<735bd7f1-09b0-4c55-97b1-30020847a356n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4658&group=alt.toys.transformers#4658

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2021 23:36:17 -0700 (PDT)
From: codigopo...@gmail.com (Codigo Postal)
 by: Codigo Postal - Mon, 30 Aug 2021 06:36 UTC

On Monday, August 30, 2021 at 1:47:26 AM UTC-4, Joseph Bardsley wrote:
> On Sunday, August 29, 2021 at 9:21:34 PM UTC-7, Codigo Postal wrote:
> > On Saturday, August 28, 2021 at 10:03:44 PM UTC-4, Joseph Bardsley wrote:
> > > All of the talk this month about TFTM's 35th anniversary has me thinking about the passage of time as relates to our fandom in general.
> > >
> > > So many of the original G1 characters that enabled everything to take flight back in 1984 are based on vehicles, technology, and other items that are now dated to varying degrees.
> > >
> > > Add to that the fact that many of these inaugural characters were based on toys from as early as 1974, and many of these alternate modes are beginning to show their age. Which I kind of love, actually, because it reinforces the fact that, in-universe, these are characters who took on alternate modes *of the time* to maintain some semblance of subterfuge and disguise while engaged in battle on Earth.
> > >
> > > With their chosen alternate modes now appearing out of step with the world at large, it roots the characters and their stories nicely in a particular time and place, and reminds us that, had the War unfolded even a bit differently, some of the most iconic alternate modes - cassettes, WWII-era sidearms, F-15 Eagles, and the like - would likely present very differently..
> > >
> > > Beyond the obvious contenders for dated alternate modes - Soundwave, Blaster, and their respective cassette companions, Reflector, Starscream, Skywarp, and Thundercracker - what are some of your "favorites"? (Astrotrain is one of mine).
> > >
> > > Just some interesting food for thought. And, in this context, I wonder - are characters like the Insecticons and Predacons and Dinobots more "timeless"?
> > >
> > > Hope everyone's doing well,
> > >
> > > Joseph
> > I'm rather a fan of retrofuturism, the image of the future as projected by the denizens of the past, a concept that has inspired so much of the synthwave movement of recent years.
> >
> > In that vein, my personal favorite would have to be Hot Rod, a 1986 conception of what a cool ride would look like in the far flung future of *checks watch* sixteen years ago!
> >
> > As far as the 1984 cast, I appreciate how their pop culture footprint is keeping those alt modes alive in the general consciousness, rather than allowing them to be forgotten as mere curios of a distant era.
> Are you a Star Trek fan at all, CP? I ask because - if so - Voyager is such a shining and unique example of retrofuturism to me. (Good old Captain Proton and Queen Arachnia!) Some very enjoyable episodes and moments.
>
> :)
>
> JB

I'm generally aware of Star Trek as a pop culture phenomenon, but I've only caught scattered episodes here and there. I'll have to make time at some point to onboard myself (same with Star Wars and the MCU, for that matter)!

That said, we can all agree that Patrick Stewart is a global treasure, and I'm glad he's revisiting the series via Picard. And in an ideal world, Kate Mulgrew would be our first woman president, assuming the Constitution hasn't been amended to allow Lucy Lawless a shot...

As for Robert Duncan McNeill, I'm only aware of the trivia point that he and Courteney Cox were the young stars of the live action He-Man movie.

Re: The passage of time, and increasingly-archaic alternate modes

<4fc3d33f-b509-4f4f-9344-9467d1a0f333n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4659&group=alt.toys.transformers#4659

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2021 09:45:48 -0700 (PDT)
From: rivervie...@gmail.com (Sky Raider)
 by: Sky Raider - Mon, 30 Aug 2021 16:45 UTC

On Monday, August 30, 2021 at 12:21:34 AM UTC-4, Codigo Postal wrote:
> On Saturday, August 28, 2021 at 10:03:44 PM UTC-4, Joseph Bardsley wrote:
> > All of the talk this month about TFTM's 35th anniversary has me thinking about the passage of time as relates to our fandom in general.
> >
> > So many of the original G1 characters that enabled everything to take flight back in 1984 are based on vehicles, technology, and other items that are now dated to varying degrees.
> >
> > Add to that the fact that many of these inaugural characters were based on toys from as early as 1974, and many of these alternate modes are beginning to show their age. Which I kind of love, actually, because it reinforces the fact that, in-universe, these are characters who took on alternate modes *of the time* to maintain some semblance of subterfuge and disguise while engaged in battle on Earth.
> >
> > With their chosen alternate modes now appearing out of step with the world at large, it roots the characters and their stories nicely in a particular time and place, and reminds us that, had the War unfolded even a bit differently, some of the most iconic alternate modes - cassettes, WWII-era sidearms, F-15 Eagles, and the like - would likely present very differently.
> >
> > Beyond the obvious contenders for dated alternate modes - Soundwave, Blaster, and their respective cassette companions, Reflector, Starscream, Skywarp, and Thundercracker - what are some of your "favorites"? (Astrotrain is one of mine).
> >
> > Just some interesting food for thought. And, in this context, I wonder - are characters like the Insecticons and Predacons and Dinobots more "timeless"?
> >
> > Hope everyone's doing well,
> >
> > Joseph
> I'm rather a fan of retrofuturism, the image of the future as projected by the denizens of the past, a concept that has inspired so much of the synthwave movement of recent years.
>
> In that vein, my personal favorite would have to be Hot Rod, a 1986 conception of what a cool ride would look like in the far flung future of *checks watch* sixteen years ago!
>
> As far as the 1984 cast, I appreciate how their pop culture footprint is keeping those alt modes alive in the general consciousness, rather than allowing them to be forgotten as mere curios of a distant era.
I always saw Hot Rod and company as having Cybertronian vehicle modes. But yeah, Hot Rod was another favorite of mine as a kid. I always wanted to have a car like that when I got older. Of course once I was an adult I looked at him again with a more discerning eye and realized driving a car with no rear window would feel a little weird. Even the Countach has at least a little slit back there!

Re: The passage of time, and increasingly-archaic alternate modes

<2c956772-1e49-4066-a130-1fcd45f0202cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4660&group=alt.toys.transformers#4660

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2021 18:21:06 -0700 (PDT)
From: joe.bard...@gmail.com (Joseph Bardsley)
 by: Joseph Bardsley - Tue, 31 Aug 2021 01:21 UTC

On Sunday, August 29, 2021 at 11:36:18 PM UTC-7, Codigo Postal wrote:
> On Monday, August 30, 2021 at 1:47:26 AM UTC-4, Joseph Bardsley wrote:

> > > I'm rather a fan of retrofuturism, the image of the future as projected by the denizens of the past, a concept that has inspired so much of the synthwave movement of recent years.
> > >
> > > In that vein, my personal favorite would have to be Hot Rod, a 1986 conception of what a cool ride would look like in the far flung future of *checks watch* sixteen years ago!
> > >
> > > As far as the 1984 cast, I appreciate how their pop culture footprint is keeping those alt modes alive in the general consciousness, rather than allowing them to be forgotten as mere curios of a distant era.
> > Are you a Star Trek fan at all, CP? I ask because - if so - Voyager is such a shining and unique example of retrofuturism to me. (Good old Captain Proton and Queen Arachnia!) Some very enjoyable episodes and moments.
> >
> > :)
> >
> > JB
> I'm generally aware of Star Trek as a pop culture phenomenon, but I've only caught scattered episodes here and there. I'll have to make time at some point to onboard myself (same with Star Wars and the MCU, for that matter)!
>
> That said, we can all agree that Patrick Stewart is a global treasure, and I'm glad he's revisiting the series via Picard. And in an ideal world, Kate Mulgrew would be our first woman president, assuming the Constitution hasn't been amended to allow Lucy Lawless a shot...
>
> As for Robert Duncan McNeill, I'm only aware of the trivia point that he and Courteney Cox were the young stars of the live action He-Man movie.

Ah, OK. Well, in that case, my reference may have been a bit too specific - but, if you're looking for a Trek series (my other great love, aside from TFs), Voyager fits the bill nicely in terms of being totally rooted in the broader series mythos, but also totally uniquely itself in terms of its retrofuturistic feeling. (It's also probably the most fully 90s - the End of the American Century - Trek show out there).

Yes, Patrick Stewart is a real icon, and Picard is a wonderful series. I'm a huge Voyager fan, so my affection for Kate is already implicit.

(Idea: I already host weekly - Sunday - Voyager watch parties on Netflix, with an array of fandom friends. If anyone here is interested in joining, just let me know! It's super relaxed and fun). :)

JB

Re: The passage of time, and increasingly-archaic alternate modes

<1fee41eb-a862-432a-a6c6-367d0d5b8fb3n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4661&group=alt.toys.transformers#4661

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2021 18:22:14 -0700 (PDT)
From: joe.bard...@gmail.com (Joseph Bardsley)
 by: Joseph Bardsley - Tue, 31 Aug 2021 01:22 UTC

On Monday, August 30, 2021 at 9:45:49 AM UTC-7, Sky Raider wrote:
> On Monday, August 30, 2021 at 12:21:34 AM UTC-4, Codigo Postal wrote:
> > On Saturday, August 28, 2021 at 10:03:44 PM UTC-4, Joseph Bardsley wrote:
> > > All of the talk this month about TFTM's 35th anniversary has me thinking about the passage of time as relates to our fandom in general.
> > >
> > > So many of the original G1 characters that enabled everything to take flight back in 1984 are based on vehicles, technology, and other items that are now dated to varying degrees.
> > >
> > > Add to that the fact that many of these inaugural characters were based on toys from as early as 1974, and many of these alternate modes are beginning to show their age. Which I kind of love, actually, because it reinforces the fact that, in-universe, these are characters who took on alternate modes *of the time* to maintain some semblance of subterfuge and disguise while engaged in battle on Earth.
> > >
> > > With their chosen alternate modes now appearing out of step with the world at large, it roots the characters and their stories nicely in a particular time and place, and reminds us that, had the War unfolded even a bit differently, some of the most iconic alternate modes - cassettes, WWII-era sidearms, F-15 Eagles, and the like - would likely present very differently..
> > >
> > > Beyond the obvious contenders for dated alternate modes - Soundwave, Blaster, and their respective cassette companions, Reflector, Starscream, Skywarp, and Thundercracker - what are some of your "favorites"? (Astrotrain is one of mine).
> > >
> > > Just some interesting food for thought. And, in this context, I wonder - are characters like the Insecticons and Predacons and Dinobots more "timeless"?
> > >
> > > Hope everyone's doing well,
> > >
> > > Joseph
> > I'm rather a fan of retrofuturism, the image of the future as projected by the denizens of the past, a concept that has inspired so much of the synthwave movement of recent years.
> >
> > In that vein, my personal favorite would have to be Hot Rod, a 1986 conception of what a cool ride would look like in the far flung future of *checks watch* sixteen years ago!
> >
> > As far as the 1984 cast, I appreciate how their pop culture footprint is keeping those alt modes alive in the general consciousness, rather than allowing them to be forgotten as mere curios of a distant era.
> I always saw Hot Rod and company as having Cybertronian vehicle modes. But yeah, Hot Rod was another favorite of mine as a kid. I always wanted to have a car like that when I got older. Of course once I was an adult I looked at him again with a more discerning eye and realized driving a car with no rear window would feel a little weird. Even the Countach has at least a little slit back there!

Ha! Totally; good point, SR. I also loved Hot Rod, but question how credible his alt mode would truly have been today. :)

Re: The passage of time, and increasingly-archaic alternate modes

<d5147de0-0445-4f70-8daf-63e5d2ece5f8n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4671&group=alt.toys.transformers#4671

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2021 11:07:04 -0700 (PDT)
From: codigopo...@gmail.com (Codigo Postal)
 by: Codigo Postal - Fri, 3 Sep 2021 18:07 UTC

On Monday, August 30, 2021 at 9:21:07 PM UTC-4, Joseph Bardsley wrote:
> On Sunday, August 29, 2021 at 11:36:18 PM UTC-7, Codigo Postal wrote:

> > > Are you a Star Trek fan at all, CP? I ask because - if so - Voyager is such a shining and unique example of retrofuturism to me. (Good old Captain Proton and Queen Arachnia!) Some very enjoyable episodes and moments.
> > >
> > > :)
> > >
> > > JB
> > I'm generally aware of Star Trek as a pop culture phenomenon, but I've only caught scattered episodes here and there. I'll have to make time at some point to onboard myself (same with Star Wars and the MCU, for that matter)!
> >
> > That said, we can all agree that Patrick Stewart is a global treasure, and I'm glad he's revisiting the series via Picard. And in an ideal world, Kate Mulgrew would be our first woman president, assuming the Constitution hasn't been amended to allow Lucy Lawless a shot...
> >
> > As for Robert Duncan McNeill, I'm only aware of the trivia point that he and Courteney Cox were the young stars of the live action He-Man movie.
> Ah, OK. Well, in that case, my reference may have been a bit too specific - but, if you're looking for a Trek series (my other great love, aside from TFs), Voyager fits the bill nicely in terms of being totally rooted in the broader series mythos, but also totally uniquely itself in terms of its retrofuturistic feeling. (It's also probably the most fully 90s - the End of the American Century - Trek show out there).
>
> Yes, Patrick Stewart is a real icon, and Picard is a wonderful series. I'm a huge Voyager fan, so my affection for Kate is already implicit.
>
> (Idea: I already host weekly - Sunday - Voyager watch parties on Netflix, with an array of fandom friends. If anyone here is interested in joining, just let me know! It's super relaxed and fun). :)
>
> JB

I recently read that Levar Burton can't be the new host of the show because Captain Picard would never willingly put a member of his crew in Jeopardy....

Re: The passage of time, and increasingly-archaic alternate modes

<20c2e60b-6d34-4b92-8ded-9b2eacd3de6bn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=4678&group=alt.toys.transformers#4678

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Sun, 5 Sep 2021 19:38:42 -0700 (PDT)
From: joe.bard...@gmail.com (Joseph Bardsley)
 by: Joseph Bardsley - Mon, 6 Sep 2021 02:38 UTC

On Friday, September 3, 2021 at 11:07:05 AM UTC-7, Codigo Postal wrote:
> On Monday, August 30, 2021 at 9:21:07 PM UTC-4, Joseph Bardsley wrote:

> > > I'm generally aware of Star Trek as a pop culture phenomenon, but I've only caught scattered episodes here and there. I'll have to make time at some point to onboard myself (same with Star Wars and the MCU, for that matter)!
> > >
> > > That said, we can all agree that Patrick Stewart is a global treasure, and I'm glad he's revisiting the series via Picard. And in an ideal world, Kate Mulgrew would be our first woman president, assuming the Constitution hasn't been amended to allow Lucy Lawless a shot...
> > >
> > > As for Robert Duncan McNeill, I'm only aware of the trivia point that he and Courteney Cox were the young stars of the live action He-Man movie.
> > Ah, OK. Well, in that case, my reference may have been a bit too specific - but, if you're looking for a Trek series (my other great love, aside from TFs), Voyager fits the bill nicely in terms of being totally rooted in the broader series mythos, but also totally uniquely itself in terms of its retrofuturistic feeling. (It's also probably the most fully 90s - the End of the American Century - Trek show out there).
> >
> > Yes, Patrick Stewart is a real icon, and Picard is a wonderful series. I'm a huge Voyager fan, so my affection for Kate is already implicit.
> >
> > (Idea: I already host weekly - Sunday - Voyager watch parties on Netflix, with an array of fandom friends. If anyone here is interested in joining, just let me know! It's super relaxed and fun). :)
> >
> > JB
> I recently read that Levar Burton can't be the new host of the show because Captain Picard would never willingly put a member of his crew in Jeopardy...

Ha! Good one! And - yes - all too true. :)

JB