Newsgroups: rec.arts.disney.parks
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2022 13:33:07 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: Haunted Mansion - DON'T CHANGE A THING!
From: gcar...@aol.com (SJC)
 by: SJC - Wed, 12 Jan 2022 21:33 UTC

On Thursday, August 27, 1998 at 12:00:00 AM UTC-7, Jenn Mandelion wrote:
> DCD wrote:
> >The rumors of "changes" to the Haunted Mansion are somewhat disturbing to
> >me. The Haunted Mansion is one of my favorite attractions, and I could
> think
> >of nothing therein that needs improvement.
> >
> >SUGGESTION TO DISNEY: IF IT AIN'T BROKE, DON'T FIX IT!
> I know the rumor came from a reputable source... but I don't buy it!
> Lots of stuff at WDW has completely sucked lately... and even tho I don't
> agree with the choices, I can see the corporate reasoning behind the krappy
> decisions. For example:
> 1. Closing Toad - They want the prime real estate to sell more pooh.
> 2. Re-Doing Tikis - The show wasn't a large enough draw as it was, so they
> decided to incorporate two of the new popular characters to give it a new
> audience.
> 3. 20K Sitting Empty - Probably just costs a lot to maintain... so to save
> $, they shut it down.
> 4. Adding McDonalds - Parents probably appreciate a place to feed their
> kids (and themselves) cheaply... and in turn are more likely to visit the
> parks more frequently. And by bringing in McDs, they don't have to lower
> their dining profit margin, and they have a happy little corporate
> relationship they can count on for advertising support every time a new
> Disney movie comes out.
> Those are just a few, and altho a lot of us think they suck... I'm sure we
> can all see the thinking behind the decision (weasely or not).
> But sticking Robin Williams' voice on two hugely popular attractions? THAT
> IS JUST INSANITY!!! Why would they update two attractions that already have
> a huge draw? Pirates and the Mansion are probably two of the biggest
> percent per gate admission attractions. The only reason they ever renovate
> stuff is to attract more people to the park, or to advertise a particular
> property... why would they spend a chunk of change renovating something that
> people already like?
> Besides... having Robin Williams' presence in Timekeeper and DisneyQuest is
> enough already. If they use him anywhere else... they run the risk of a
> marketing disaster. What if Robin is caught on tape screwing a horse or
> something? I'm being extremely sarcastic, but do you see my point?
> The only theory that holds any weight is that maybe the copyright is running
> out on the current voice-overs for Pirates and the HM. Does anyone have any
> idea when these recordings were made... and how long Disney can use them
> without having to cough up more cash?
> BTW - I have a history for being extremely naive... especially where Disney
> is concerned. I just can't believe they'd screw with two attractions that
> are already perfect (well, almost perfect... I want the un-PC version of
> Pirates back). But as a friend mentioned earlier tonight... perhaps I'm
> giving them too much credit.
> -jenn
> [...]

Again, as with before, 25 years.. I agree wuith you and Jenn (David S., I think yiou were on the ROB PLAYS-MIDWAY TO MAIN STRET Youtube channel on the differences between WDW/DL haunted mansion, explaining the reason behind the stretching rooms's differennces), and yet again, totally agree, Jenn.. Jenn, the Pirates was done around 1966, Mansion in 1968-69...