Newsgroups: rec.music.beatles
Date: Sat, 5 Aug 2023 07:39:29 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Why Did The Maharishi Giggle Inappropriately?
From: norbertk...@gmail.com (Norbert K)
 by: Norbert K - Sat, 5 Aug 2023 14:39 UTC

I assume most of us have noticed the Maharishi's out-of-context giggling and laughing. Pete Shotton recounds some noteworthy examples of this off-putting behavior in his book. Someone would ask the Maharishi a serious question, and in the midst of delivering a nonsensical reply, the guru would giggle or even roar with laughter.

The non-technical term for this is "Duper's Delight." It's what happens when a liar or a criminal attempts to deceive his interlocutor -- and cannot suppress the joy he's obtaining from the act of deception.

Think of Burke Ramsey's freakish grinning when discussing his sister's death with Dr. Phil. Or Charles Manson's inappropriate smiling and laughing with delivering his gobbledygook.

Re: Why Did The Maharishi Giggle Inappropriately?

<super70s-EA631D.17545105082023@reader.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=5024&group=rec.music.beatles#5024

From: super...@super70s.invalid (super70s)
Newsgroups: rec.music.beatles
Subject: Re: Why Did The Maharishi Giggle Inappropriately?
Date: Sat, 05 Aug 2023 17:54:51 -0500
 by: super70s - Sat, 5 Aug 2023 22:54 UTC

In article <e92ee1b2-c2a8-446c-b659-79737feabb41n@googlegroups.com>,
Norbert K <norbertkosky69@gmail.com> wrote:

> I assume most of us have noticed the Maharishi's out-of-context giggling and
> laughing. Pete Shotton recounds some noteworthy examples of this off-putting
> behavior in his book. Someone would ask the Maharishi a serious question,
> and in the midst of delivering a nonsensical reply, the guru would giggle or
> even roar with laughter.
>
> The non-technical term for this is "Duper's Delight." It's what happens when
> a liar or a criminal attempts to deceive his interlocutor -- and cannot
> suppress the joy he's obtaining from the act of deception.
>
> Think of Burke Ramsey's freakish grinning when discussing his sister's death
> with Dr. Phil. Or Charles Manson's inappropriate smiling and laughing with
> delivering his gobbledygook.

I always think of Jeremy Hillary Boob Ph.D.

Re: Why Did The Maharishi Giggle Inappropriately?

<H9SdnUhcjYRKjVL5nZ2dnZfqn_WdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=5025&group=rec.music.beatles#5025

Date: Sun, 6 Aug 2023 15:17:43 +1200
Newsgroups: rec.music.beatles
From: geo...@nospamgeoffwood.org (geoff)
 by: geoff - Sun, 6 Aug 2023 03:17 UTC

On 6/08/2023 2:39 am, Norbert K wrote:
> I assume most of us have noticed the Maharishi's out-of-context giggling and laughing. Pete Shotton recounds some noteworthy examples of this off-putting behavior in his book. Someone would ask the Maharishi a serious question, and in the midst of delivering a nonsensical reply, the guru would giggle or even roar with laughter.
>
> The non-technical term for this is "Duper's Delight." It's what happens when a liar or a criminal attempts to deceive his interlocutor -- and cannot suppress the joy he's obtaining from the act of deception.
>
> Think of Burke Ramsey's freakish grinning when discussing his sister's death with Dr. Phil. Or Charles Manson's inappropriate smiling and laughing with delivering his gobbledygook.

Couldn't help spontaneously laughing at how people were believing him
and taking his spiel seriously.

geoff

Re: Why Did The Maharishi Giggle Inappropriately?

<02521d38-29df-4b63-9b01-deeb28f22dd0n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=5026&group=rec.music.beatles#5026

Newsgroups: rec.music.beatles
Date: Sun, 6 Aug 2023 02:31:31 -0700 (PDT)
From: norbertk...@gmail.com (Norbert K)
 by: Norbert K - Sun, 6 Aug 2023 09:31 UTC

On Saturday, August 5, 2023 at 8:17:57 PM UTC-7, geoff wrote:
> On 6/08/2023 2:39 am, Norbert K wrote:
> > I assume most of us have noticed the Maharishi's out-of-context giggling and laughing. Pete Shotton recounds some noteworthy examples of this off-putting behavior in his book. Someone would ask the Maharishi a serious question, and in the midst of delivering a nonsensical reply, the guru would giggle or even roar with laughter.
> >
> > The non-technical term for this is "Duper's Delight." It's what happens when a liar or a criminal attempts to deceive his interlocutor -- and cannot suppress the joy he's obtaining from the act of deception.
> >
> > Think of Burke Ramsey's freakish grinning when discussing his sister's death with Dr. Phil. Or Charles Manson's inappropriate smiling and laughing with delivering his gobbledygook.
> Couldn't help spontaneously laughing at how people were believing him
> and taking his spiel seriously.
>
> geoff

Yeah, his babble was contemptible.

So was Manson's -- yet Manson was able to induce some of his disciples to murder people they didn't know. Of course, he selected susceptible individuals and fried them on drugs.

Or how about today's Q-Anon? This is Ron Watkins, a stupid, videogame-playing kid. Yet people -- albeit credulous and mentally unhealthy ones -- buy into that ludicrous crap. And Watkins doesn't even personally interact with his glazed-eyed followers, as the Maharishi and Manson did.

People are becoming more stupid.