It is better to have loved a short man than never to have loved a tall.

arts / rec.arts.movies.current-films / The Woman In The Window (US) 2021

SubjectAuthor
* The Woman In The Window (US) 2021william ahearn
`* Re: The Woman In The Window (US) 2021hchrish
 `- Re: The Woman In The Window (US) 2021william ahearn

1
The Woman In The Window (US) 2021

<bb468f8e-4d9b-4359-8155-4ce8e64e4dc5n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=5076&group=rec.arts.movies.current-films#5076

Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Tue, 18 May 2021 15:59:33 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: The Woman In The Window (US) 2021
From: wlahe...@gmail.com (william ahearn)
 by: william ahearn - Tue, 18 May 2021 22:59 UTC

Hey,

What attracted me to this movie is Gary Oldman, Jennifer Jason Leigh, and Julianne Moore. What slowed me down was Joe Wright – who hasn't directed a film I really responded to – and Tracy Letts who – with the possible exception of William Friedkin's Bug – turns out stagey film scripts. This time he's outdone himself with a screenplay that is downright theatrical. Letts also plays a supporting role and he's just fine.

The premise has been done before in various guises with the most salient example being Alfred Hitchcock's Rear Window, although Josh Mann's Dystopia is another derivative example. There's a agoraphobic woman in a window – and no sign of Fritz Lang – with a camera with a long lens and she isn't only a psychologist, she's also a voyeur. She's been spying on her neighbors and what she sees – ala Cornell Woolrich – had to be murder.

Everyone who comes in contact with her believes that she is crazy as the person she thinks has been murdered apparently hasn't. The people across the street – where the murder supposedly occurred – vehemently deny that any murder has occurred. The murder – that the audience also witnesses – is the crux of this story that is billed as a “psychological drama.”

That is the gist and I'll leave it there. It isn't very psychological and it isn't – even for a moment – credible in any sense. Jennifer Jason Leigh is completely wasted and even Gary Oldman is bad and I didn't think that was possible. Usually, I write about films that I like or are interesting or that I think movie lovers will appreciate. This isn't one of them.

Re: The Woman In The Window (US) 2021

<PhadnTC07vFjxhD-nZ2dnZfqnPGdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6783&group=rec.arts.movies.current-films#6783

Subject: Re: The Woman In The Window (US) 2021
From: mariemig...@gmail-dot-com.no-spam.invalid (hchrish)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Mon, 05 Dec 2022 02:48:30 +0000
 by: hchrish - Mon, 5 Dec 2022 02:48 UTC

> william ahearn wrote:
> Hey,
>
> What attracted me to this movie is Gary Oldman, Jennifer Jason
Leigh, and Julianne Moore. What slowed me down was Joe Wright – who
hasn't directed a film I really responded to – and Tracy Letts who
– with the possible exception of William Friedkin's Bug – turns
out stagey film scripts. This time he's outdone himself with a
screenplay that is downright theatrical. Letts also plays a supporting
role and he's just fine.

> The premise has been done before in various guises with the most
salient example being Alfred Hitchcock's Rear Window, although Josh
Mann's Dystopia is another derivative example. There's a agoraphobic
woman in a window – and no sign of Fritz Lang – with a camera with
a long lens and she isn't only a psychologist, she's also a voyeur.
She's been spying on her neighbors and what she sees – ala Cornell
Woolrich – had to be murder.

> Everyone who comes in contact with her believes that she is crazy
as the person she thinks has been murdered apparently hasn't. The
people across the street – where the murder supposedly occurred –
vehemently deny that any murder has occurred. The murder – that the
audience also witnesses – is the crux of this story that is billed
as a “psychological drama.”

> That is the gist and I'll leave it there. It isn't very
psychological and it isn't – even for a moment – credible in any
sense. Jennifer Jason Leigh is completely wasted and even Gary Oldman
is bad and I didn't think that was possible. Usually, I write about
films that I like or are interesting or that I think movie lovers will
appreciate. This isn't one of them.

Amy is one of the best
actresses of our age. She nailes every single role.

This is a response to the post seen at:
http://www.jlaforums.com/viewtopic.php?p=451996999#451996999

Re: The Woman In The Window (US) 2021

<15147f78-0a9a-4693-8673-b404c7800465n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=6787&group=rec.arts.movies.current-films#6787

Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2022 11:11:45 -0800 (PST)
From: wlahe...@gmail.com (william ahearn)
 by: william ahearn - Mon, 5 Dec 2022 19:11 UTC

On Sunday, December 4, 2022 at 9:48:37 PM UTC-5, hchrish wrote:

> Amy is one of the best
> actresses of our age. She nailes every single role.

Apparently, you haven't seen this mess.