Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.international
Date: Sun, 8 May 2022 22:22:52 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: The real Oscar Scandal
From: septimus...@q.com (septimus_...@q.com)
 by: septimus_...@q.com - Mon, 9 May 2022 05:22 UTC

I had my back to the TV set, just listening, waiting
for the Best Actress category, and was dumbfounded by
Will Smith's excruciating acceptance speech. It was
hours later when I realized he had slapped someone.

But the real scandal of these Oscars was arguably at
the very beginning, when Serena Williams was enshrined
as a prophet and symbol of diversity/progress. Her
sister Venus Williams is a graceful champion. But
anyone who actually watches woman's tennis knows that
Serena is the most toxic, unsportswoman-like figure for at
least 30 years (or as long as I was paying attention).
She threw legendary tantrums while losing at the
biggest stage (e.g., Grand Slam finals). She had
spoiled what should have crowning moments of Naomi
Osaka, Kim Clijster (at least twice), and Justine Henin*.
There was one memorable moment during a US Open match
when she actually threatened a diminutive Japanese
lines person with violence. This toxic behavior
wasn't some gossip that leaked out after 2 decades;
it was on live TV with millions watching. Serena
got off scot-free, wasn't suspended for even one
match by the WTA. I wonder what that Japanese lady
(at least 12 inches shorter and 100 pounds lighter)
thought of the Oscar opening. I myself was absolutely
disgusted.

A NYT piece about Jane Campion's supposed insult of
the Williams sister alluded to "bad line calls"
Serena had received (which athletic hadn't?) without
mentioning her vulgar outbursts. Venus had the
same upbringing and no doubt faced her share of
racist incidents, but you don't see Venus acting
like a mega-jerk. Enshrining Serena Williams as
some sort of "PoC" prophet isn't just disturbingly
tribalistic; it is a blatant lie, and I hate liars.

*I miss Justine Henin, who was not remotely as gifted
athletically as Serena Williams, but was flawless
in her technique. She was basically the female
Roger Federer, the last female Grand Slam Singles
Champion to use one-handed backhand. Because of
that, she could hit make every shot that was ever invented.
Those were the days ....