From: dchme...@gmail.com (David Chmelik)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.comics.strips, rec.arts.comics.misc
Subject: Re: [NEWS] "Rupert Bear" turns 100
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2021 06:13:53 -0000 (UTC)
 by: David Chmelik - Fri, 23 Jul 2021 06:13 UTC

On Sun, 8 Nov 2020 13:46:48 +1300, Your Name wrote:

> Happy birthday Rupert!! :-)
>

> From BBC.com ...
>

> Rupert Bear turns 100: The adventures continue
> A little bear is celebrating a very big birthday: Rupert has turned
> 100. To commemorate the milestone, the anthropomorphic adventurer
> has been honoured by the Royal Mail in a set of eight stamps.
>
> Rupert first appeared in the Daily Express on 8 November 1920,
> as Little Lost Bear - the work of illustrator Mary Tourtel.
>
> The character, whose famous red jumper was originally blue, was part
> of the newspaper's push to attract new readers.
>
> Alfred Bestall took over from Tourtel in 1935 as Rupert's
> illustrator, remaining with him until the early 1970s, and it's his
> distinctive style that appears in the new stamps.
>

> Article continues at <https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-tyne-54280708>

Rupert may be the top comic ever in terms of design, considering that
words don't get in the way of the pictures, and there are three levels of
reading: summary at top, couplet below each panel, then prose at page
bottom. It's a great fantasy/anthropomorphic series that some of the
epic scenes I'm sure even adults could enjoy.