Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2022 00:16:51 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: Neeme Jarvi: proficient, skilled, soulless performances
From: ggggg9...@gmail.com (gggg gggg)
 by: gggg gggg - Thu, 24 Feb 2022 08:16 UTC

On Tuesday, March 25, 2014 at 1:51:07 AM UTC-10, Gerard wrote:
> I'm referring to a recent review on MusicWeb (about symphonies by
> Atterberg).
> http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2014/Mar14/Atterberg_sys_v12_CHSA5116.htm
>
> The reviewer is deeply disappointed by almost everything Järvi recorded.
>
> A few quotes:
>
> ""Neeme Järvi’s continuing Atterberg symphony cycle is frustrating in a way
> that sums up Järvi’s entire career. It both promotes and trivializes
> little-known music by treating it to proficient, skilled, soulless
> performances. An Atterberg album is a strange place for a music critic to
> take a firm stand, but I’m afraid I have a lot to say.""
>
> ""He treats almost every composer this way. His lack of empathy contaminates
> his Chabrier album (my colleague Dan Morgan says “incidental charm and
> colouristic touches barely register”), his Saint-Saëns (my 2012 review seems
> never to have been published: “missing the last degree of romantic
> passion”), his Suppé (my colleague John Sheppard notes “lack of
> commitment”), his Tchaikovsky ballets (Nick Barnard was “hugely
> disappointed”), his Tchaikovsky Sixth Symphony (John Quinn finds he
> “underplays” emotions “to the point of coolness”), and his Bruckner (“too
> damned fast,” gripes Gavin Dixon). ""
>
> ""Neeme Järvi will leave behind one of the most conflicted legacies of any
> conductor. He was a passionate advocate for unknown music, but his passion
> typically evaporated on the podium. He persuaded the CEO of BIS to let him
> record the symphonies of Eduard Tubin, a composer whose music I did not like
> until I heard albums by other conductors.""
>
> ""He adds lots of unheard music into his repertoire, but rarely thinks about
> how to interpret it idiomatically and compassionately. He eagerly takes on
> projects recording obscure composers like Atterberg, and then his approach
> trivializes them.""
>

> Is this how "we" think about Neeme Järvi?
> Didn't he make better recordings than the ones mentioned? Prokofiev?
> Shostakovich? Sibelius?
> No favorites?

(Recent Y. upload):

Neeme Järvi's 10 Best Recordings Previewed, or, How To Be Great Without Mozart, Beethoven and Brahms

Re: Neeme Jarvi: proficient, skilled, soulless performances

<6faf848b-80a3-494f-aa59-a4c2362eab5an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=41204&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#41204

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2022 14:54:40 -0700 (PDT)
From: ggggg9...@gmail.com (gggg gggg)
 by: gggg gggg - Tue, 28 Jun 2022 21:54 UTC

On Thursday, February 24, 2022 at 12:16:56 AM UTC-8, gggg gggg wrote:
> On Tuesday, March 25, 2014 at 1:51:07 AM UTC-10, Gerard wrote:
> > I'm referring to a recent review on MusicWeb (about symphonies by
> > Atterberg).
> > http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2014/Mar14/Atterberg_sys_v12_CHSA5116.htm
> >
> > The reviewer is deeply disappointed by almost everything Järvi recorded.
> >
> > A few quotes:
> >
> > ""Neeme Järvi’s continuing Atterberg symphony cycle is frustrating in a way
> > that sums up Järvi’s entire career. It both promotes and trivializes
> > little-known music by treating it to proficient, skilled, soulless
> > performances. An Atterberg album is a strange place for a music critic to
> > take a firm stand, but I’m afraid I have a lot to say.""
> >
> > ""He treats almost every composer this way. His lack of empathy contaminates
> > his Chabrier album (my colleague Dan Morgan says “incidental charm and
> > colouristic touches barely register”), his Saint-Saëns (my 2012 review seems
> > never to have been published: “missing the last degree of romantic
> > passion”), his Suppé (my colleague John Sheppard notes “lack of
> > commitment”), his Tchaikovsky ballets (Nick Barnard was “hugely
> > disappointed”), his Tchaikovsky Sixth Symphony (John Quinn finds he
> > “underplays” emotions “to the point of coolness”), and his Bruckner (“too
> > damned fast,” gripes Gavin Dixon). ""
> >
> > ""Neeme Järvi will leave behind one of the most conflicted legacies of any
> > conductor. He was a passionate advocate for unknown music, but his passion
> > typically evaporated on the podium. He persuaded the CEO of BIS to let him
> > record the symphonies of Eduard Tubin, a composer whose music I did not like
> > until I heard albums by other conductors.""
> >
> > ""He adds lots of unheard music into his repertoire, but rarely thinks about
> > how to interpret it idiomatically and compassionately. He eagerly takes on
> > projects recording obscure composers like Atterberg, and then his approach
> > trivializes them.""
> >

> > Is this how "we" think about Neeme Järvi?
> > Didn't he make better recordings than the ones mentioned? Prokofiev?
> > Shostakovich? Sibelius?
> > No favorites?
> (Recent Y. upload):
>
> Neeme Järvi's 10 Best Recordings Previewed, or, How To Be Great Without Mozart, Beethoven and Brahms

(Recent Y. u.):

Dave's Faves No. 110 (Rimsky-Korsakov)

Re: Neeme Jarvi: proficient, skilled, soulless performances

<t9h5bc$1cbt$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=41214&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#41214

From: g_hendri...@live.com (Gerard)
Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2022 11:17:27 +0200
 by: Gerard - Wed, 29 Jun 2022 09:17 UTC

Op 2022-06-28 om 23:54 schreef gggg gggg:
> On Thursday, February 24, 2022 at 12:16:56 AM UTC-8, gggg gggg wrote:
>> On Tuesday, March 25, 2014 at 1:51:07 AM UTC-10, Gerard wrote:
>>> I'm referring to a recent review on MusicWeb (about symphonies by
>>> Atterberg).
>>> http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2014/Mar14/Atterberg_sys_v12_CHSA5116.htm
>>>
>>> The reviewer is deeply disappointed by almost everything Järvi recorded.
>>>
>>> A few quotes:
>>>
>>> ""Neeme Järvi’s continuing Atterberg symphony cycle is frustrating in a way
>>> that sums up Järvi’s entire career. It both promotes and trivializes
>>> little-known music by treating it to proficient, skilled, soulless
>>> performances. An Atterberg album is a strange place for a music critic to
>>> take a firm stand, but I’m afraid I have a lot to say.""
>>>
>>> ""He treats almost every composer this way. His lack of empathy contaminates
>>> his Chabrier album (my colleague Dan Morgan says “incidental charm and
>>> colouristic touches barely register”), his Saint-Saëns (my 2012 review seems
>>> never to have been published: “missing the last degree of romantic
>>> passion”), his Suppé (my colleague John Sheppard notes “lack of
>>> commitment”), his Tchaikovsky ballets (Nick Barnard was “hugely
>>> disappointed”), his Tchaikovsky Sixth Symphony (John Quinn finds he
>>> “underplays” emotions “to the point of coolness”), and his Bruckner (“too
>>> damned fast,” gripes Gavin Dixon). ""
>>>
>>> ""Neeme Järvi will leave behind one of the most conflicted legacies of any
>>> conductor. He was a passionate advocate for unknown music, but his passion
>>> typically evaporated on the podium. He persuaded the CEO of BIS to let him
>>> record the symphonies of Eduard Tubin, a composer whose music I did not like
>>> until I heard albums by other conductors.""
>>>
>>> ""He adds lots of unheard music into his repertoire, but rarely thinks about
>>> how to interpret it idiomatically and compassionately. He eagerly takes on
>>> projects recording obscure composers like Atterberg, and then his approach
>>> trivializes them.""
>>>

>>> Is this how "we" think about Neeme Järvi?
>>> Didn't he make better recordings than the ones mentioned? Prokofiev?
>>> Shostakovich? Sibelius?
>>> No favorites?
>> (Recent Y. upload):
>>
>> Neeme Järvi's 10 Best Recordings Previewed, or, How To Be Great Without Mozart, Beethoven and Brahms
>
> (Recent Y. u.):
>
> Dave's Faves No. 110 (Rimsky-Korsakov)

In this case (Rimsky-Korsakov's suites from operas) I concur with the
quoted reviewer on Musicweb-international.
Järvi's performances of these suites are rather medioce, compared to
recordings by Zinman, Bakels, Schwarz, and (best of all) Serov, or
Ansermet or Tjeknavorian (to name a few who have made recordings of
several of those suites).

Re: Neeme Jarvi: proficient, skilled, soulless performances

<ddebf140-cb93-428a-80c3-955b0d3cb11an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=51909&group=rec.music.classical.recordings#51909

Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2023 13:16:46 -0800 (PST)
From: cbc...@gmail.com (Gerard)
 by: Gerard - Wed, 8 Feb 2023 21:16 UTC

Op woensdag 29 juni 2022 om 11:17:36 UTC+2 schreef Gerard:
> Op 2022-06-28 om 23:54 schreef gggg gggg:

> >> (Recent Y. upload):
> >>
> >> Neeme Järvi's 10 Best Recordings Previewed, or, How To Be Great Without Mozart, Beethoven and Brahms
> >
> > (Recent Y. u.):
> >
> > Dave's Faves No. 110 (Rimsky-Korsakov)
> In this case (Rimsky-Korsakov's suites from operas) I concur with the
> quoted reviewer on Musicweb-international.
> Järvi's performances of these suites are rather medioce, compared to
> recordings by Zinman, Bakels, Schwarz, and (best of all) Serov, or
> Ansermet or Tjeknavorian (to name a few who have made recordings of
> several of those suites).

It must be the third time now (it's boring) that Dave H. praises Jarvi's mediocre recordings of Rimky's opera suites to heaven ("one of the most exciting things happening in music", "the sonics are amazing", "a wonderful revelation").
This time not just as the only works by Rimsky that should be saved when all other works would be forbidden or destroyed, but also as the absolutely best recordings of these works - which they are not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMtsCvBjbEU