Your boyfriend takes chocolate from strangers.

interests / alt.toys.transformers / Re: What's the Most Number of Toys You've Ever Gotten At Once?

SubjectAuthor
* What's the Most Number of Toys You've Ever Gotten At Once?Zobovor
+* Re: What's the Most Number of Toys You've Ever Gotten At Once?Irrellius Spamticon
|`- Re: What's the Most Number of Toys You've Ever Gotten At Once?Joseph Bardsley
+* Re: What's the Most Number of Toys You've Ever Gotten At Once?Codigo Postal
|`- Re: What's the Most Number of Toys You've Ever Gotten At Once?Anonymous
`- Re: What's the Most Number of Toys You've Ever Gotten At Once?Gustavo Wombat

1
What's the Most Number of Toys You've Ever Gotten At Once?

<551ddaaf-1362-492a-aae9-ce0b9b0b75c9n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=5200&group=alt.toys.transformers#5200

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2021 18:47:16 -0800 (PST)
Subject: What's the Most Number of Toys You've Ever Gotten At Once?
From: zmf...@aol.com (Zobovor)
 by: Zobovor - Tue, 21 Dec 2021 02:47 UTC

I have days when I pick up one or two new toys, and then there are days when I get a whole armful at once. The second is a bit more rare, of course, but it does happen.

And then there are the folks I see on Reddit sometimes who are like "today's mail drop" and there are like seven or eight or thirteen action figures. Big Bad Toy Store does this thing where they will hold your purchases together as a big Pile of Loot (that's literally what they call it) so they only charge you shipping once. It's kind of a good system, but I'm impatient so I don't use it. I don't like the idea that there are things that I've paid for, and available to ship, that aren't already on their way to me.

So it's not like I keep track of these things, but these are probably my top three or so contenders.

I remember in early 1987, I had some birthday money to spend and, me being who I am, wanted to go shopping for Transformers. I was still trying to complete my Predacon team (I'd gotten Razorclaw for Christmas in 1986) so I grabbed Divebomb and Rampage. (I never ended up getting Tantrum and Headstrong, though. For years and years, my Predaking was a midget.) on the same shopping trip I also got Roadbuster and Shockwave, both of whom were warming shelves at Toys "R" Us in abundance. They WAY over-ordered on Shockwave..) Seems like there might have been a fifth toy on that shopping trip, but I can't remember who it was right now. Still, for an eleven-year-old boy, that was a lot of Transformers all at once.

Not Transformers-related, but I remember putting, like, all of the Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith action figures on layaway when they first came out. That was right around the time I was moving in with my wife, and I remember the first day I was home without her, I opened up my big layaway box full of like 20 action figures. I don't even think I opened them all on the same day. It was a lot of toys.

Yesterday I finally dug through my old Micromasters to see which ones were good enough to be part of The Collection with a capital "C" and which ones needed to be replaced. Just about the only ones I didn't customize were the Autobot Construction Patrol (one supposes I was just too bored with them to bother) and Skyhopper. Everybody else, I colored in some fashion with permanent markers. At the time, I was trying to improve them by adding additional paint operations to their bumpers or whatnot. I don't think I realized it was going to bother me so much later as an adult.

But the point of this is that last night I bought replacements for the Autobot Race Car Patrol, Autobot Rescue Patrol, Autobot Off-Road Patrol, Decepticon Sports Car Patrol, and Tailwind of the Decepticon Air Patrol (I've already replaced my Air Patrol once, but the Tailwind I ended up with had chewed-up wings). I also bought a vintage G1 Hot Rod on the cheap, because I have this broken Targetmaster Hot Rod and I want to cobble them together to build an intact, unbroken unit. So, technically that's 18 toys in one shot, even though I don't have any of them in my possession yet, and they're coming from different sellers, and I'm sure they won't show up all at once, but rather trickle through the mail at some point just after Christmas.

Zob (it's good, though, because it will help to counter the inevitable post-Christmas doldrums)

Re: What's the Most Number of Toys You've Ever Gotten At Once?

<a890686b-6ed5-4b7f-b8f0-231cc3a2a83en@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=5201&group=alt.toys.transformers#5201

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2021 07:10:53 -0800 (PST)
From: Ob1ken...@att.net (Irrellius Spamticon)
 by: Irrellius Spamticon - Tue, 21 Dec 2021 15:10 UTC

On Monday, December 20, 2021 at 8:47:17 PM UTC-6, Zobovor wrote:
> [...]
>
> But the point of this is that last night I bought replacements for the Autobot Race Car Patrol, Autobot Rescue Patrol, Autobot Off-Road Patrol, Decepticon Sports Car Patrol, and Tailwind of the Decepticon Air Patrol (I've already replaced my Air Patrol once, but the Tailwind I ended up with had chewed-up wings). I also bought a vintage G1 Hot Rod on the cheap, because I have this broken Targetmaster Hot Rod and I want to cobble them together to build an intact, unbroken unit. So, technically that's 18 toys in one shot, even though I don't have any of them in my possession yet, and they're coming from different sellers, and I'm sure they won't show up all at once, but rather trickle through the mail at some point just after Christmas.
>

> Zob (it's good, though, because it will help to counter the inevitable post-Christmas doldrums)
I went to Botcon 2002, probably picked up about 35 Micromasters, 3 Seacons, an autographed Dinobot, G2 Grimlock, and an extra Metroplex with Sixgun, Scamper, Slammer, and an extra Cog. Oh, also the convention exclusives

Just got in a big bag of Micromasters at work I have to sort through. They texted me pics. There was a boxed Pepsi Prime with it that sold in about 20 minutes of it coming in

Re: What's the Most Number of Toys You've Ever Gotten At Once?

<5df31b27-7cca-41ff-bff8-06a1e1b908e2n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=5205&group=alt.toys.transformers#5205

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2021 02:17:27 -0800 (PST)
From: joe.bard...@gmail.com (Joseph Bardsley)
 by: Joseph Bardsley - Wed, 22 Dec 2021 10:17 UTC

On Tuesday, December 21, 2021 at 7:10:55 AM UTC-8, Ob1k...@att.net wrote:
> [...]
> >

> > Zob (it's good, though, because it will help to counter the inevitable post-Christmas doldrums)
> I went to Botcon 2002, probably picked up about 35 Micromasters, 3 Seacons, an autographed Dinobot, G2 Grimlock, and an extra Metroplex with Sixgun, Scamper, Slammer, and an extra Cog. Oh, also the convention exclusives
>
> Just got in a big bag of Micromasters at work I have to sort through. They texted me pics. There was a boxed Pepsi Prime with it that sold in about 20 minutes of it coming in

I tend to purchase in small quantities to enjoy each character. Likely my most quantifiable total would be when I got all 5 G1 Combaticons + Astrotrain at once (I was motivated to get them as a group thanks to Lizard's excellent "Assimilation") from a seller in Calgary back in - I think - 2009 or so?

JB

Re: What's the Most Number of Toys You've Ever Gotten At Once?

<4d282c7c-da38-45ed-9234-516bb4f3aeccn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=5206&group=alt.toys.transformers#5206

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2021 02:38:10 -0800 (PST)
From: codigopo...@gmail.com (Codigo Postal)
 by: Codigo Postal - Wed, 22 Dec 2021 10:38 UTC

On Tuesday, December 21, 2021 at 2:47:17 AM UTC, Zobovor wrote:
> [...]
>
> But the point of this is that last night I bought replacements for the Autobot Race Car Patrol, Autobot Rescue Patrol, Autobot Off-Road Patrol, Decepticon Sports Car Patrol, and Tailwind of the Decepticon Air Patrol (I've already replaced my Air Patrol once, but the Tailwind I ended up with had chewed-up wings). I also bought a vintage G1 Hot Rod on the cheap, because I have this broken Targetmaster Hot Rod and I want to cobble them together to build an intact, unbroken unit. So, technically that's 18 toys in one shot, even though I don't have any of them in my possession yet, and they're coming from different sellers, and I'm sure they won't show up all at once, but rather trickle through the mail at some point just after Christmas.
>

> Zob (it's good, though, because it will help to counter the inevitable post-Christmas doldrums)

I’m with you on that one Joseph. I’d much rather have one or two at a time so I can properly appreciate each one - with mass purchases, each figure tends to get lost in the shuffle. Plus the ritual of unpacking and releasing them from their packaging becomes less of a fun prelude to enjoying the figure, and more like office work.

That said, between online preorders, items from overseas sellers, and the very real fear of missing out as toys go out of stock ever more rapidly, I’ve sometimes had as many as thirty show up at one time.

Wishing a happy holidayseason to all on ATT!

Re: What's the Most Number of Toys You've Ever Gotten At Once?

<sq2eql$1e0v$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=5207&group=alt.toys.transformers#5207

From: no_em...@invalid.invalid (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2021 18:23:18 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Anonymous - Thu, 23 Dec 2021 18:23 UTC

Codigo Postal <codigopostal959@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
>> possession yet, and they're coming from different sellers, and I'm sure
>> they won't show up all at once, but rather trickle through the mail at
>> some point just after Christmas.
>>

>> Zob (it's good, though, because it will help to counter the inevitable
>> post-Christmas doldrums)
>

> I’m with you on that one Joseph. I’d much rather have one or two at a
> time so I can properly appreciate each one - with mass purchases, each
> figure tends to get lost in the shuffle. Plus the ritual of unpacking and
> releasing them from their packaging becomes less of a fun prelude to
> enjoying the figure, and more like office work.
>
> That said, between online preorders, items from overseas sellers, and the
> very real fear of missing out as toys go out of stock ever more rapidly,
> I’ve sometimes had as many as thirty show up at one time.
>
> Wishing a happy holidayseason to all on ATT!

My biggest hauls would fall into three categories. Christmas as a kid in
the mid 80s during the height of transformers. All I would ask for was
transformers, and for a couple years it was pretty much all I got. My
family eventually got fed up with this homogenous request by around 1988,
and started boycotting transformers. But I definitely had a good run for a
couple years.

The other category would be Botcons. Pretty much every botcon I would come
home with a giant box of toys. One botcon I actually had to ship a box
back, with the convention exclusives and then all the loose toys I would
buy on the show floor.

Finally, there was a time when I would find large quantities of
transformers I didn’t have at used toy stores. this was mostly in the late
90s, early 2000s. A few times I hit the jackpot. Obviously, this doesn’t
happen anymore.

-Banzaitron

Re: What's the Most Number of Toys You've Ever Gotten At Once?

<sq3d32$m96$2@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=5212&group=alt.toys.transformers#5212

From: gustavow...@yahoo.com (Gustavo Wombat)
Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2021 02:59:47 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Gustavo Wombat - Fri, 24 Dec 2021 02:59 UTC

When the toys for the 2007 movie appeared in my local Fred Meyer, I bought
the entirety of the first waves in one fell swoop. Including the real gear
transformers. I want to say it was the first two waves of deluxes, first
wave of voyagers? A shopping cart full.

In retrospect, they all kind of sucked.