Write yourself a threatening letter and pen a defiant reply.

arts / rec.music.beatles / Re: Yoko & John Green Discuss Marketing Strategies, 1980

SubjectAuthor
* Yoko & John Green Discuss Marketing Strategies, 1980Norbert K
`* Re: Yoko & John Green Discuss Marketing Strategies, 1980Pamela Brown
 `- Re: Yoko & John Green Discuss Marketing Strategies, 1980Norbert K

1
Yoko & John Green Discuss Marketing Strategies, 1980

<686f605b-b1e6-4f32-94ba-f059c9db58a9n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=5220&group=rec.music.beatles#5220

Newsgroups: rec.music.beatles
Date: Sun, 1 Oct 2023 03:49:33 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Yoko & John Green Discuss Marketing Strategies, 1980
From: norbertk...@gmail.com (Norbert K)
 by: Norbert K - Sun, 1 Oct 2023 10:49 UTC

Yoko's longtime tarot card reader, John Green, is said to have tape-recorded their conversations. In July of 1980, Yoko began to play her Double Fantasy songs for Green and have him assess their hit potential through his tarot cards. "It was," Green wrote, "a process that made for long afternoons."

According to Green, he and Yoko had the following discussion after Yoko demonstrated one of her Double Fantasy songs:

Yoko: Well, look in the cards and tell me if this is going to be a number-one hit.

Green: You asked that about the last one. They can't all be number one, can they?

Yoko: Well, they could all be in the Top Ten. If all my songs on the album are in the Top Ten, that would leave some room for John's things, too. People will buy the record because of John, you know, but it's important that they hear my work. I've been doing a lot of things for years that other people are just starting to do now and calling it new wave and punk rock. I did all that stuff years ago.

Green: That makes a good press release. Tell that to the agent. Pick a few popular groups and say they were influenced by your work. That will make the readers think twice about your stuff and the groups won't deny it because it's free publicity.

Yoko: Well, it's true! Don't you think so? At least they certainly could have been influenced by me. I've played a bigger part in rock & roll than anybody knows.

Green: Now, now, don't go believing your press release.

Yoko: But it could have been true and we just don't know it!

-- from Green's book Dakota Days

Re: Yoko & John Green Discuss Marketing Strategies, 1980

<1781db31-b5d1-49e2-958e-d72a58efac76n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=5222&group=rec.music.beatles#5222

Newsgroups: rec.music.beatles
Date: Sun, 1 Oct 2023 10:21:47 -0700 (PDT)
From: pamelaj...@gmail.com (Pamela Brown)
 by: Pamela Brown - Sun, 1 Oct 2023 17:21 UTC

On Sunday, October 1, 2023 at 5:49:35 AM UTC-5, Norbert K wrote:
> Yoko's longtime tarot card reader, John Green, is said to have tape-recorded their conversations. In July of 1980, Yoko began to play her Double Fantasy songs for Green and have him assess their hit potential through his tarot cards. "It was," Green wrote, "a process that made for long afternoons."
>
> According to Green, he and Yoko had the following discussion after Yoko demonstrated one of her Double Fantasy songs:
>
> Yoko: Well, look in the cards and tell me if this is going to be a number-one hit.
>
> Green: You asked that about the last one. They can't all be number one, can they?
>
> Yoko: Well, they could all be in the Top Ten. If all my songs on the album are in the Top Ten, that would leave some room for John's things, too. People will buy the record because of John, you know, but it's important that they hear my work. I've been doing a lot of things for years that other people are just starting to do now and calling it new wave and punk rock. I did all that stuff years ago.
>
> Green: That makes a good press release. Tell that to the agent. Pick a few popular groups and say they were influenced by your work. That will make the readers think twice about your stuff and the groups won't deny it because it's free publicity.
>
> Yoko: Well, it's true! Don't you think so? At least they certainly could have been influenced by me. I've played a bigger part in rock & roll than anybody knows.
>
> Green: Now, now, don't go believing your press release.
>
> Yoko: But it could have been true and we just don't know it!
>
> -- from Green's book Dakota Days
Terrible. She was just exploiting John, right up to the end...

Re: Yoko & John Green Discuss Marketing Strategies, 1980

<3b6bbc17-f5f3-4bb9-ad65-e4df626fd6f3n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=5223&group=rec.music.beatles#5223

Newsgroups: rec.music.beatles
Date: Sun, 1 Oct 2023 10:52:42 -0700 (PDT)
From: norbertk...@gmail.com (Norbert K)
 by: Norbert K - Sun, 1 Oct 2023 17:52 UTC

On Sunday, October 1, 2023 at 10:21:49 AM UTC-7, Pamela Brown wrote:
> On Sunday, October 1, 2023 at 5:49:35 AM UTC-5, Norbert K wrote:
> > Yoko's longtime tarot card reader, John Green, is said to have tape-recorded their conversations. In July of 1980, Yoko began to play her Double Fantasy songs for Green and have him assess their hit potential through his tarot cards. "It was," Green wrote, "a process that made for long afternoons."
> >
> > According to Green, he and Yoko had the following discussion after Yoko demonstrated one of her Double Fantasy songs:
> >
> > Yoko: Well, look in the cards and tell me if this is going to be a number-one hit.
> >
> > Green: You asked that about the last one. They can't all be number one, can they?
> >
> > Yoko: Well, they could all be in the Top Ten. If all my songs on the album are in the Top Ten, that would leave some room for John's things, too. People will buy the record because of John, you know, but it's important that they hear my work. I've been doing a lot of things for years that other people are just starting to do now and calling it new wave and punk rock. I did all that stuff years ago.
> >
> > Green: That makes a good press release. Tell that to the agent. Pick a few popular groups and say they were influenced by your work. That will make the readers think twice about your stuff and the groups won't deny it because it's free publicity.
> >
> > Yoko: Well, it's true! Don't you think so? At least they certainly could have been influenced by me. I've played a bigger part in rock & roll than anybody knows.
> >
> > Green: Now, now, don't go believing your press release.
> >
> > Yoko: But it could have been true and we just don't know it!
> >
> > -- from Green's book Dakota Days
> Terrible. She was just exploiting John, right up to the end...

Also, characteristically, Yoko was taking credit for things (the punk rock and new wave styles of music) she had absolutely nothing to do with. I've suffered through Yoko's "music." The notion that this was the original punk and new wave is absurd.