From: jdnic...@panix.com (James Nicoll)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Subject: [OT] Winnipeg launches 2023 WorldCon Bid
Date: 29 Apr 2021 16:56:26 -0000
 by: James Nicoll - Thu, 29 Apr 2021 16:56 UTC

"DisCon III has accepted the bid filing from Winnipeg, Canada, to host the
2023 Worldcon. CanSMOF is the organization that will run the convention should
the membership choose Winnipeg to host Worldcon."

https://discon3.org/news/new-2023-worldcon-bidder/

Info on Winnipeg:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winnipeg

The last time I was in Winnipeg was in 1971 so my impressions are somewhat
out of date. And I am not 100 percent sure we actually left the train...

The other two bids are in Chengdu, China, and Memphis, USA.

Re: [OT] Winnipeg launches 2023 WorldCon Bid

<qsCn38.ACI@kithrup.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=52392&group=rec.arts.sf.written#52392

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
From: djhe...@kithrup.com (Dorothy J Heydt)
Subject: Re: [OT] Winnipeg launches 2023 WorldCon Bid
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2021 23:40:20 GMT
 by: Dorothy J Heydt - Thu, 29 Apr 2021 23:40 UTC

In article <s6eofq$2j0$1@panix3.panix.com>,
James Nicoll <jdnicoll@panix.com> wrote:

>"DisCon III has accepted the bid filing from Winnipeg, Canada, to host the
>2023 Worldcon. CanSMOF is the organization that will run the convention should
>the membership choose Winnipeg to host Worldcon."
>
>https://discon3.org/news/new-2023-worldcon-bidder/
>
>Info on Winnipeg:
>
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winnipeg
>
>The last time I was in Winnipeg was in 1971 so my impressions are somewhat
>out of date. And I am not 100 percent sure we actually left the train...
>

>The other two bids are in Chengdu, China, and Memphis, USA.

If Winnipeg wins the bid, we might even go. (Finances
permitting.)

--
Dorothy J. Heydt
Vallejo, California

Re: [OT] Winnipeg launches 2023 WorldCon Bid

<mkfv8gt44jtpucvvqak79hjcf7u3hahvb8@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=52577&group=rec.arts.sf.written#52577

From: lcra...@home.ca (The Horny Goat)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Mon, 03 May 2021 02:16:30 -0700
 by: The Horny Goat - Mon, 3 May 2021 09:16 UTC

On Thu, 29 Apr 2021 23:40:20 GMT, djheydt@kithrup.com (Dorothy J
Heydt) wrote:

>>The last time I was in Winnipeg was in 1971 so my impressions are somewhat
>>out of date. And I am not 100 percent sure we actually left the train...
>>

>>The other two bids are in Chengdu, China, and Memphis, USA.
>>
>If Winnipeg wins the bid, we might even go. (Finances
>permitting.)

Winnipeg's a nice town of about 3/4 million. I lived there for 3 years
in the mid-1980s and have nothing but good memories of it except for
the appalling January weather.

I would be amazed however if Worldcon were ever to be held in January
- Winnipeg has delightful spring and summer weather and probably has
more trees than any other prairie North American city of its size. I
mentioned the January weather? Those trees are called "windbreaks"

It even has a French quarter if you're into that sort of thing.