"When it comes to humility, I'm the greatest." -- Bullwinkle Moose

arts / rec.arts.sf.written / Re: Over The Hedge: Baby Steps

SubjectAuthor
* Over The Hedge: Baby StepsLynn McGuire
`* Re: Over The Hedge: Baby StepsDorothy J Heydt
 `* Re: Over The Hedge: Baby StepsMark Jackson
  `* Re: Over The Hedge: Baby StepsDorothy J Heydt
   `* Re: Over The Hedge: Baby StepsKevrob
    `* Re: Over The Hedge: Baby StepsDorothy J Heydt
     `* Re: Over The Hedge: Baby StepsPaul S Person
      `* Re: Over The Hedge: Baby StepsDorothy J Heydt
       `- Re: Over The Hedge: Baby StepsLeif Roar Moldskred

1
Over The Hedge: Baby Steps

<s6pp72$erv$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=52619&group=rec.arts.sf.written#52619

From: lynnmcgu...@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written,rec.arts.comics.strips
Subject: Over The Hedge: Baby Steps
Date: Mon, 3 May 2021 16:16:17 -0500
 by: Lynn McGuire - Mon, 3 May 2021 21:16 UTC

Over The Hedge: Baby Steps
https://www.gocomics.com/overthehedge/2021/05/03

Where is the A/C unit on the tent ?

Lynn

Re: Over The Hedge: Baby Steps

<qsJzFq.Kwx@kithrup.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=52620&group=rec.arts.sf.written#52620

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written,rec.arts.comics.strips
From: djhe...@kithrup.com (Dorothy J Heydt)
Subject: Re: Over The Hedge: Baby Steps
Date: Mon, 3 May 2021 22:50:14 GMT
 by: Dorothy J Heydt - Mon, 3 May 2021 22:50 UTC

In article <s6pp72$erv$1@dont-email.me>,
Lynn McGuire <lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> wrote:
>Over The Hedge: Baby Steps
> https://www.gocomics.com/overthehedge/2021/05/03
>
>Where is the A/C unit on the tent ?

On the other side where we can't see it?

There used to be a comic (paper, not online) called _Farley_ that
spent many of its summers in a (carefully aliased) camp in California.
And there was a woman who came and camped there in her luxury
trailer, after having brushed all the leaves and things off her
square of earth. She certainly had air conditioning, and many
other creature comforts that most campers are willing to leave
behind.

--
Dorothy J. Heydt
Vallejo, California

Re: Over The Hedge: Baby Steps

<ifbe6cFgosgU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=52621&group=rec.arts.sf.written#52621

From: mjack...@alumni.caltech.edu (Mark Jackson)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written,rec.arts.comics.strips
Date: Mon, 3 May 2021 19:10:02 -0400
 by: Mark Jackson - Mon, 3 May 2021 23:10 UTC

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Farley_(comic_strip)

> And there was a woman who came and camped there in her luxury
> trailer, after having brushed all the leaves and things off her
> square of earth. She certainly had air conditioning, and many
> other creature comforts that most campers are willing to leave
> behind.

Glamping.

--
Mark Jackson - https://mark-jackson.online/
Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately

Re: Over The Hedge: Baby Steps

<qsK53t.owI@kithrup.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=52623&group=rec.arts.sf.written#52623

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written,rec.arts.comics.strips
From: djhe...@kithrup.com (Dorothy J Heydt)
Date: Tue, 4 May 2021 00:52:41 GMT
 by: Dorothy J Heydt - Tue, 4 May 2021 00:52 UTC

In article <ifbe6cFgosgU1@mid.individual.net>,
Mark Jackson <mjackson@alumni.caltech.edu> wrote:
>On 5/3/2021 6:50 PM, Dorothy J Heydt wrote:
>> In article <s6pp72$erv$1@dont-email.me>,
>> Lynn McGuire <lynnmcguire5@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Over The Hedge: Baby Steps
>>> https://www.gocomics.com/overthehedge/2021/05/03
>>>
>>> Where is the A/C unit on the tent ?
>>
>> On the other side where we can't see it?
>>
>> There used to be a comic (paper, not online) called _Farley_ that
>> spent many of its summers in a (carefully aliased) camp in California.
>
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Farley_(comic_strip)

That's the one.

>> And there was a woman who came and camped there in her luxury
>> trailer, after having brushed all the leaves and things off her
>> square of earth. She certainly had air conditioning, and many
>> other creature comforts that most campers are willing to leave
>> behind.

Velma Melmac was her name.

--
Dorothy J. Heydt
Vallejo, California

Re: Over The Hedge: Baby Steps

<e8ea050e-7e97-460d-9d86-3f7ca5489d0fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=52626&group=rec.arts.sf.written#52626

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Mon, 3 May 2021 20:00:39 -0700 (PDT)
From: kev...@my-deja.com (Kevrob)
 by: Kevrob - Tue, 4 May 2021 03:00 UTC

On Monday, May 3, 2021 at 9:05:03 PM UTC-4, Dorothy J Heydt wrote:
> In article <ifbe6c...@mid.individual.net>,
> Mark Jackson <mjac...@alumni.caltech.edu> wrote:
> >On 5/3/2021 6:50 PM, Dorothy J Heydt wrote:

> >> On the other side where we can't see it?
> >>
> >> There used to be a comic (paper, not online) called _Farley_ that
> >> spent many of its summers in a (carefully aliased) camp in California.
> >
> >https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Farley_(comic_strip)
> That's the one.
> >
> >> And there was a woman who came and camped there in her luxury
> >> trailer, after having brushed all the leaves and things off her
> >> square of earth. She certainly had air conditioning, and many
> >> other creature comforts that most campers are willing to leave
> >> behind.
> Velma Melmac was her name.
> --
Did the cartoonist (Phil Frank) get there before the "Alf " TV show?

My Mom had some Melmac plates back in the 1960s, for
everyday use, not when we had company. 9 kids can be
hell on a set of more breakable dinnerware.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melmac

--
Kevin R

Re: Over The Hedge: Baby Steps

<qsKDHw.uIv@kithrup.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=52628&group=rec.arts.sf.written#52628

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
From: djhe...@kithrup.com (Dorothy J Heydt)
Date: Tue, 4 May 2021 03:53:56 GMT
 by: Dorothy J Heydt - Tue, 4 May 2021 03:53 UTC

In article <e8ea050e-7e97-460d-9d86-3f7ca5489d0fn@googlegroups.com>,
Kevrob <kevrob@my-deja.com> wrote:
>On Monday, May 3, 2021 at 9:05:03 PM UTC-4, Dorothy J Heydt wrote:
>> In article <ifbe6c...@mid.individual.net>,
>> Mark Jackson <mjac...@alumni.caltech.edu> wrote:

>> >https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Farley_(comic_strip)
>> That's the one.

>> Velma Melmac was her name.
>> --
>Did the cartoonist (Phil Frank) get there before the "Alf " TV show?
>
>My Mom had some Melmac plates back in the 1960s, for
>everyday use, not when we had company. 9 kids can be
>hell on a set of more breakable dinnerware.
>
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melmac

I have (or had, I think my daughter's got them now) half a dozen
Melmac salad plates. As you say, damnear childproof.

--
Dorothy J. Heydt
Vallejo, California

Re: Over The Hedge: Baby Steps

<hku29g5ea5vgh1jgemvp1pdnp2audoplja@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=52647&group=rec.arts.sf.written#52647

From: pspers...@ix.netcom.invalid (Paul S Person)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Tue, 04 May 2021 09:51:09 -0700
 by: Paul S Person - Tue, 4 May 2021 16:51 UTC

On Tue, 4 May 2021 03:53:56 GMT, djheydt@kithrup.com (Dorothy J Heydt)
wrote:

>In article <e8ea050e-7e97-460d-9d86-3f7ca5489d0fn@googlegroups.com>,
>Kevrob <kevrob@my-deja.com> wrote:
>>On Monday, May 3, 2021 at 9:05:03 PM UTC-4, Dorothy J Heydt wrote:

>>> That's the one.

>>> Velma Melmac was her name.
>>> --
>>Did the cartoonist (Phil Frank) get there before the "Alf " TV show?
>>
>>My Mom had some Melmac plates back in the 1960s, for
>>everyday use, not when we had company. 9 kids can be
>>hell on a set of more breakable dinnerware.
>>
>>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melmac
>
>I have (or had, I think my daughter's got them now) half a dozen
>Melmac salad plates. As you say, damnear childproof.

The old plastic plate and the six or so small plastic desert/fruit
bowls that have survived the many years from the Days of My Youth turn
out, upon inspection, to be labled as Melmac with brand-name
"Catalina".

The plate has even survived being used (inadvertently, thanks to a
mind-fart) in the microwave. Got really really hot, but didn't melt or
crack or explode.
--
"I begin to envy Petronius."
"I have envied him long since."

Re: Over The Hedge: Baby Steps

<qsLFB3.Buw@kithrup.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=52650&group=rec.arts.sf.written#52650

Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
From: djhe...@kithrup.com (Dorothy J Heydt)
Date: Tue, 4 May 2021 17:30:39 GMT
 by: Dorothy J Heydt - Tue, 4 May 2021 17:30 UTC

In article <hku29g5ea5vgh1jgemvp1pdnp2audoplja@4ax.com>,
Paul S Person <psperson1@ix.netcom.invalid> wrote:
>On Tue, 4 May 2021 03:53:56 GMT, djheydt@kithrup.com (Dorothy J Heydt)
>wrote:
>
>>In article <e8ea050e-7e97-460d-9d86-3f7ca5489d0fn@googlegroups.com>,
>>Kevrob <kevrob@my-deja.com> wrote:

>>>Did the cartoonist (Phil Frank) get there before the "Alf " TV show?

/google

ALF TV series, 1998 to 2000.

Farley, 1975 to 2007.

So they overlapped. I never watched Alf, so I don't know when
the (possible) source of Velma Melmac appeared on it. Take if
from there if you like.

--
Dorothy J. Heydt
Vallejo, California

Re: Over The Hedge: Baby Steps

<gImdnf11Qp3FKgz9nZ2dnUU78QHNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=52665&group=rec.arts.sf.written#52665

From: lei...@huldreheim.Home (Leif Roar Moldskred)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written
Date: Tue, 04 May 2021 16:06:32 -0500
 by: Leif Roar Moldskred - Tue, 4 May 2021 21:06 UTC

Dorothy J Heydt <djheydt@kithrup.com> wrote:

> /google
>
> ALF TV series, 1998 to 2000.

The original run of ALF was 1986 to -90; the show had a fair
bit of of pop-cultural impact at the time.

--
Leif Roar Moldskred
The 80s were weird