Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2022 18:55:02 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Images of Spike in Exo-Suit from (Tiny) Studio Series
From: zmf...@aol.com (Zobovor)
 by: Zobovor - Wed, 5 Jan 2022 02:55 UTC

There are images now for this toy, part of the lower price point toys for Studio Series (reportedly around $8.49 MSRP):

https://www.seibertron.com/transformers/news/transformers-studio-series-86-core-class-exo-suit-spike-revealed/46589/

Makes me happy. Looks better than the version that came with Masterpiece Bumblebee a few years back. I hope they resell it as Daniel Witwicky and Jessica Morgan.

And it makes me rethink the notion that the other characters reportedly part of this assortment (Rumble, Laserbeak, Wheelie) are going to be from the live-action movie series. It makes much more sense that they're continuing to celebrate Transformers: the Movie, and created this price point so that they can do good, high-quality versions of these characters.

I would assume, or hope, that any new cassette toys would be the same scale as the previous tapes sold during Siege. It would make no sense if they weren't compatible with Netflix Soundwave. But, those are tiny toys and probably not worth eight bucks a pop. I could see this going one of two ways. Either Rumble comes with a lot of accessories to justify the price point (like pile driver arms, blast effects, etc.) or this is actually a Rumble/Frenzy 2-pack. I can't think of too many accessories that would make sense with Laserbeak, so perhaps it's actually a Laserbeak/Buzzsaw 2-pack? (We never got Buzzsaw in any form as a Siege-era cassette.)

Wheelie would almost certainly be a small, transformable toy, Hasbro's way of apologizing for the mini-figure that came with Grimlock. There are only a handful of really small characters who a) actually appeared in The Transformers: the Movie, and therefore b) would make sense in a toy line called Studio Series. Ratbat and Ravage would be a couple of others. But, that's just about it.

With this being an odd, untested price point, and possibly one some retailers will not order, I hope these toys aren't too hard to find!

Zob (there's always BBTS, thankfully)