In the next world, you're on your own.

interests / alt.toys.transformers / Re: Transformers “creator”

SubjectAuthor
* Transformers “creator”Anonymous
+* Re: Transformers “creator”Anonymous
|`* Re: Transformers “creator”Gustavo Wombat, of the Seattle Wombats
| `- Re: Transformers “creator”Anonymous
+- Re: Transformers “creator”Zobovor
`- Re: Transformers “creator”Evil King Macrocranios

1
Transformers “creator”

<spnu4e$1tq7$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=5190&group=alt.toys.transformers#5190

From: no_em...@invalid.invalid (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Subject: Transformers “creator”
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2021 18:37:02 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Anonymous - Sun, 19 Dec 2021 18:37 UTC

ATT,

Anyone buying that this guy created transformers?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/obituaries/2021/12/17/transformers-poker-henry-orenstein-dead/

I’ve never heard of this guy before, and I have seen many articles claiming
he created the toy line. (The article above gets it right.). Seems like
his role is being wildly overblown by the media for some reason. Seems
like we have had far more important people in the franchise pass away with
little to no mention.

-Banzaitron

Re: Transformers “creator”

<spnuum$98q$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=5191&group=alt.toys.transformers#5191

From: no_em...@invalid.invalid (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Subject: Re: Transformers “creator”
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2021 18:51:02 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Anonymous - Sun, 19 Dec 2021 18:51 UTC

Anonymous <no_email@invalid.invalid> wrote:

> ATT,
>
> Anyone buying that this guy created transformers?
>
> https://www.washingtonpost.com/obituaries/2021/12/17/transformers-poker-henry-orenstein-dead/
>
> I’ve never heard of this guy before, and I have seen many articles claiming
> he created the toy line. (The article above gets it right.). Seems like
> his role is being wildly overblown by the media for some reason. Seems
> like we have had far more important people in the franchise pass away with
> little to no mention.
>
> -Banzaitron

Here is one example of fake news on this topic:

https://www.cnn.com/2021/12/18/us/henry-orenstein-holocaust-transformers-tv-poker-died/index.html

-Banzaitron

Re: Transformers “creator”

<2650f24d-62db-4cf4-b42f-30375cd99df2n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=5193&group=alt.toys.transformers#5193

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2021 15:44:19 -0800 (PST)
From: pork.not...@gmail.com (Gustavo Wombat, of the Seattle Wombats)
 by: Gustavo Wombat, of t - Sun, 19 Dec 2021 23:44 UTC

On Sunday, December 19, 2021 at 10:51:08 AM UTC-8, Anonymous wrote:
> Anonymous <no_e...@invalid.invalid> wrote:
> >
> > ATT,
> >
> > Anyone buying that this guy created transformers?
> >
> > https://www.washingtonpost.com/obituaries/2021/12/17/transformers-poker-henry-orenstein-dead/
> >
> > I’ve never heard of this guy before, and I have seen many articles claiming
> > he created the toy line. (The article above gets it right.). Seems like
> > his role is being wildly overblown by the media for some reason. Seems
> > like we have had far more important people in the franchise pass away with
> > little to no mention.
> >
> > -Banzaitron
> >

> Here is one example of fake news on this topic:
>
> https://www.cnn.com/2021/12/18/us/henry-orenstein-holocaust-transformers-tv-poker-died/index.html
>
> -Banzaitron

The WaPo article is very clear about the limited nature of his role (pitching to Hasbro that they should bring these toys over) -- and spends a lot more time on the fact that he was a surviver of the nazi concentration camps (and has some funny anecdotes about that, along with the whole "his parents were executed and thrown into a mass grave" stuff). Overall, a nice article. Plus, his story allows them to write things like this:

“The Nazis took away his childhood,” a cover story for Newsweek magazine declared of Mr. Orenstein in 2016, so he “taught the world how to play.”

As far as why he is getting so much notice for "some reason" -- I suspect it is simply that he knew people, and they knew they had a moderately interesting story, and the Transformers are a minor element of the story, but a hook. (Or the Jews run the media... "some reason" always seems suspicious). Why did the dude get a cover story in Newsweek is 2016? Who even knew that Newsweek still existed in 2016?

CNN chops the story way down, and loses chunks, leaving Transformers as the opening of the first sentence with little nuance, and spends the rest of the smaller article on everything else.

Re: Transformers “creator”

<spojcf$d1e$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=5194&group=alt.toys.transformers#5194

From: no_em...@invalid.invalid (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2021 00:39:43 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Anonymous - Mon, 20 Dec 2021 00:39 UTC

Gustavo Wombat, of the Seattle Wombats <pork.not.pork@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sunday, December 19, 2021 at 10:51:08 AM UTC-8, Anonymous wrote:
>> Anonymous <no_e...@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>>>
>>> ATT,
>>>
>>> Anyone buying that this guy created transformers?
>>>
>>> https://www.washingtonpost.com/obituaries/2021/12/17/transformers-poker-henry-orenstein-dead/
>>>

>>> I’ve never heard of this guy before, and I have seen many articles claiming
>>> he created the toy line. (The article above gets it right.). Seems like
>>> his role is being wildly overblown by the media for some reason. Seems
>>> like we have had far more important people in the franchise pass away with
>>> little to no mention.
>>>
>>> -Banzaitron
>>>

>> Here is one example of fake news on this topic:
>>
>> https://www.cnn.com/2021/12/18/us/henry-orenstein-holocaust-transformers-tv-poker-died/index.html
>>

>> -Banzaitron
>
> The WaPo article is very clear about the limited nature of his role
> (pitching to Hasbro that they should bring these toys over) -- and spends
> a lot more time on the fact that he was a surviver of the nazi
> concentration camps (and has some funny anecdotes about that, along with
> the whole "his parents were executed and thrown into a mass grave"
> stuff). Overall, a nice article. Plus, his story allows them to write things like this:
>
> “The Nazis took away his childhood,” a cover story for Newsweek magazine
> declared of Mr. Orenstein in 2016, so he “taught the world how to play.”
>
> As far as why he is getting so much notice for "some reason" -- I suspect
> it is simply that he knew people, and they knew they had a moderately
> interesting story, and the Transformers are a minor element of the story,
> but a hook. (Or the Jews run the media... "some reason" always seems
> suspicious). Why did the dude get a cover story in Newsweek is 2016? Who
> even knew that Newsweek still existed in 2016?
>
> CNN chops the story way down, and loses chunks, leaving Transformers as
> the opening of the first sentence with little nuance, and spends the rest
> of the smaller article on everything else.

https://youtu.be/OrjmeGKoR1E

-Banzaitron

Re: Transformers “creator”

<03d73cae-bfec-4e2d-8c49-fd253cfea66bn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=5195&group=alt.toys.transformers#5195

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2021 17:26:14 -0800 (PST)
From: zmf...@aol.com (Zobovor)
 by: Zobovor - Mon, 20 Dec 2021 01:26 UTC

On Sunday, December 19, 2021 at 11:37:08 AM UTC-7, Anonymous wrote:

> I’ve never heard of this guy before, and I have seen many articles claiming
> he created the toy line. Seems like his role is being wildly overblown by the media
> for some reason.

Sometimes I think the Associated Press comes up with a hook for a story, and everybody else basically parrots it. I don't really know how accurate this is, but it's harmless. Either he was the guy who suggested Transformers or he wasn't. He can have his posthumous fifteen minutes of fame.

Zob (Inspector Gadget had a transforming car in 1982... just sayin')

Re: Transformers “creator”

<4cf5ceb6-e2dc-40c9-b25b-51d73202429dn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=5347&group=alt.toys.transformers#5347

Newsgroups: alt.toys.transformers
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2022 09:49:00 -0800 (PST)
From: evil.kin...@gmail.com (Evil King Macrocranios)
 by: Evil King Macrocrani - Sun, 16 Jan 2022 17:49 UTC

The way I understood it and the canon I had in my head was that Orenstein was in Japan for Tokyo Toy Show '83. There he saw all the toy robot lines and then came back to the US and pitched the idea of acquiring those licenses to Hasbro. But now in some of these press articles I'm reading he got the idea at the New York Toy Fair, which drastically deflates his legend in my eyes. Instead of traveling across an ocean to combine the forces of toy companies half a world apart, he went across an aisle? Heck, anybody could have done that.