We really don't have any enemies. It's just that some of our best friends are trying to kill us.

arts / rec.arts.movies.current-films / [NEWS] New "Dune" trailer (sci-fi)

SubjectAuthor
* [NEWS] New "Dune" trailer (sci-fi)Your Name
+* Re: [NEWS] New "Dune" trailer (sci-fi)alvey
|`- Re: [NEWS] New "Dune" trailer (sci-fi)moviePig
+* Re: [NEWS] New "Dune" trailer (sci-fi)Ed Stasiak
|`- Re: [NEWS] New "Dune" trailer (sci-fi)Otto J. Makela
`* Re: [NEWS] New "Dune" trailer (sci-fi)RichA
 `* Re: [NEWS] New "Dune" trailer (sci-fi)Ed Stasiak
  +* Re: [NEWS] New "Dune" trailer (sci-fi)moviePig
  |`- Re: [NEWS] New "Dune" trailer (sci-fi)Ed Stasiak
  `- Re: [NEWS] New "Dune" trailer (sci-fi)Your Name

1
[NEWS] New "Dune" trailer (sci-fi)

<sdco0u$1kpi$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=5358&group=rec.arts.movies.current-films#5358

From: YourN...@YourISP.com (Your Name)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Subject: [NEWS] New "Dune" trailer (sci-fi)
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2021 09:30:06 +1200
 by: Your Name - Thu, 22 Jul 2021 21:30 UTC

Another trailer for Frank Herbert's cure for insomnia.

From ComingSoon.net ...

The Battle For Arrakis Begins in Denis Villeneuve's Dune Trailer
Warner Bros. Pictures and Legendary have finally released a brand
new Dune trailer for acclaimed filmmaker Denis Villeneuve's newest
film adaptation of Frank Herbert's classic sci-fi novel. Following
its world premiere at the 2021 Venice International Film Festival
this September, the long-awaited remake is currently slated to
arrive in theaters and on HBO Max on October 22.

The video, which you can check out in the player below, begins
with Timothee Chalamet's Paul Atreides having dreams about a
mysterious girl as well as the cruel destruction of Arrakis. In
addition to teasing its many action-packed sequences, it also
gives us a new look at each of the main characters including Oscar
Isaac's Duke Leto and Josh Brolin's Gurney Halley. Stellan
Skarsgard and Dave Bautista's antagonistic characters Baron
Harkonnen and Glossu Rabban were also seen in the new trailer,
where we got a preview of how dangerous they can be.

Trailer: (3mins 27secs)
<https://youtu.be/8g18jFHCLXk>

A mythic and emotionally charged hero's journey, the Dune movie
tells the story of Paul Atreides, a brilliant and gifted young
man born into a great destiny beyond his understanding, who must
travel to the most dangerous planet in the universe to ensure the
future of his family and his people. As malevolent forces explode
into conflict over the planet's exclusive supply of the most
precious resource in existence - a commodity capable of unlocking
humanity's greatest potential - only those who can conquer their
fear will survive.

The star-studded cast includes Timothee Chalamet, Rebecca
Ferguson, Oscar Isaac, Josh Brolin, Stellan Skarsgard, Dave
Bautista, Stephen McKinley Henderson, Zendaya, Chang Chen, Sharon
Duncan-Brewster, with Charlotte Rampling, Jason Momoa, and Javier
Bardem.

Based on Frank Herbert's 1965 novel, Dune is directed and executive
produced by Denis Villeneuve from a screenplay he co-wrote with Jon
Spaihts and Eric Roth. It is produced by Cale Boyter, Joe
Caracciolo Jr., and Mary Parent. Oscar-winning and multiple
Oscar-nominated composer Hans Zimmer (Blade Runner 2049) is creating
the score.

<https://www.comingsoon.net/movies/trailers/1188291-battle-for-arrakis-begins-denis-villeneuves-dune-trailer>

Re: [NEWS] New "Dune" trailer (sci-fi)

<rprqh7ilqxg2.1kfausuud8zxx$.dlg@40tude.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=5362&group=rec.arts.movies.current-films#5362

From: alv...@is.invalid (alvey)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Subject: Re: [NEWS] New "Dune" trailer (sci-fi)
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2021 09:22:56 +1000
 by: alvey - Thu, 22 Jul 2021 23:22 UTC

On Fri, 23 Jul 2021 09:30:06 +1200, Your Name wrote:

> <https://youtu.be/8g18jFHCLXk>

Can't wait!

The only thing I can think of from 198? version that definitely won't be
bettered is the hypnotically stunning Francesca Annis. And possibly the
baroque designs.

alvey

Re: [NEWS] New "Dune" trailer (sci-fi)

<5LpKI.22554$7H7.16586@fx42.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=5363&group=rec.arts.movies.current-films#5363

Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
From: pwall...@moviepig.com (moviePig)
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2021 22:23:59 -0400
 by: moviePig - Fri, 23 Jul 2021 02:23 UTC

On 7/22/2021 7:22 PM, alvey wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Jul 2021 09:30:06 +1200, Your Name wrote:
>
>> <https://youtu.be/8g18jFHCLXk>
>
> Can't wait!
>
> The only thing I can think of from 198? version that definitely won't be
> bettered is the hypnotically stunning Francesca Annis. And possibly the
> baroque designs.

This was originally slated pre-Covid for release in 3D, which (except
for the unlikely event that the movie sucks) would've materially
increased the gross, especially worldwide. It'll be interesting to see
how negotiations go with those intimately shareable polarizing specs...

Re: [NEWS] New "Dune" trailer (sci-fi)

<ba892ab5-b275-4a7f-9933-c3202b1c3a32n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=5370&group=rec.arts.movies.current-films#5370

Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2021 13:36:07 -0700 (PDT)
From: edstasia...@gmail.com (Ed Stasiak)
 by: Ed Stasiak - Fri, 23 Jul 2021 20:36 UTC

> Your Name
>
> Trailer: (3mins 27secs)
> <https://youtu.be/8g18jFHCLXk>

Why are they wearing Stormtrooper armor when they
have Holtzman shield technology?

Also, this looks like they're trying to make this a love
story by featuring Chani too much.

Re: [NEWS] New "Dune" trailer (sci-fi)

<1e5f6481-299e-4152-8aa8-018f0aca4d85n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=5373&group=rec.arts.movies.current-films#5373

Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2021 15:37:52 -0700 (PDT)
From: rander3...@gmail.com (RichA)
 by: RichA - Fri, 23 Jul 2021 22:37 UTC

On Thursday, 22 July 2021 at 17:30:10 UTC-4, Your Name wrote:
> Another trailer for Frank Herbert's cure for insomnia.
>

> From ComingSoon.net ...
>

> The Battle For Arrakis Begins in Denis Villeneuve's Dune Trailer
> Warner Bros. Pictures and Legendary have finally released a brand
> new Dune trailer for acclaimed filmmaker Denis Villeneuve's newest
> film adaptation of Frank Herbert's classic sci-fi novel. Following
> its world premiere at the 2021 Venice International Film Festival
> this September, the long-awaited remake is currently slated to
> arrive in theaters and on HBO Max on October 22.
>
> The video, which you can check out in the player below, begins
> with Timothee Chalamet's Paul Atreides having dreams about a
> mysterious girl as well as the cruel destruction of Arrakis. In
> addition to teasing its many action-packed sequences, it also
> gives us a new look at each of the main characters including Oscar
> Isaac's Duke Leto and Josh Brolin's Gurney Halley. Stellan
> Skarsgard and Dave Bautista's antagonistic characters Baron
> Harkonnen and Glossu Rabban were also seen in the new trailer,
> where we got a preview of how dangerous they can be.
>
> Trailer: (3mins 27secs)
> <https://youtu.be/8g18jFHCLXk>
>
> A mythic and emotionally charged hero's journey, the Dune movie
> tells the story of Paul Atreides, a brilliant and gifted young
> man born into a great destiny beyond his understanding, who must
> travel to the most dangerous planet in the universe to ensure the
> future of his family and his people. As malevolent forces explode
> into conflict over the planet's exclusive supply of the most
> precious resource in existence - a commodity capable of unlocking
> humanity's greatest potential - only those who can conquer their
> fear will survive.
>
> The star-studded cast includes Timothee Chalamet, Rebecca
> Ferguson, Oscar Isaac, Josh Brolin, Stellan Skarsgard, Dave
> Bautista, Stephen McKinley Henderson, Zendaya, Chang Chen, Sharon
> Duncan-Brewster, with Charlotte Rampling, Jason Momoa, and Javier
> Bardem.
>
> Based on Frank Herbert's 1965 novel, Dune is directed and executive
> produced by Denis Villeneuve from a screenplay he co-wrote with Jon
> Spaihts and Eric Roth. It is produced by Cale Boyter, Joe
> Caracciolo Jr., and Mary Parent. Oscar-winning and multiple
> Oscar-nominated composer Hans Zimmer (Blade Runner 2049) is creating
> the score.
>

> <https://www.comingsoon.net/movies/trailers/1188291-battle-for-arrakis-begins-denis-villeneuves-dune-trailer>

"Dune" the story and the movie was just boring and stupid.

Re: [NEWS] New "Dune" trailer (sci-fi)

<6eadad5f-5e1d-4b66-a9dd-45a5d9dee895n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=5377&group=rec.arts.movies.current-films#5377

Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2021 08:54:10 -0700 (PDT)
From: edstasia...@gmail.com (Ed Stasiak)
 by: Ed Stasiak - Sat, 24 Jul 2021 15:54 UTC

> RichA
>
> "Dune" the story and the movie was just boring and stupid.

"Dune" is the standard by which all sci-fi stories are judged
and while the 1984 movie version by David Lynch wasn't a
very good adaption, it was a great sci-fi flick.

Thankfully we avoided the Jodorowsky adaption which would
have been wild but would have had almost nothing to do with
the book.

And the SyFy Channel tv series followed the books fairly closely
but didn’t have the budget to do it justice.

This new movie will no doubt look cool because SFX technology
has greatly advanced but I'm guessing it'll neither be a good
adaption or a good sci-fi flick.

Re: [NEWS] New "Dune" trailer (sci-fi)

<t1XKI.30215$ilwe.15522@fx35.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=5378&group=rec.arts.movies.current-films#5378

Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
From: pwall...@moviepig.com (moviePig)
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2021 12:16:24 -0400
 by: moviePig - Sat, 24 Jul 2021 16:16 UTC

On 7/24/2021 11:54 AM, Ed Stasiak wrote:
>> RichA
>>
>> "Dune" the story and the movie was just boring and stupid.
>
> "Dune" is the standard by which all sci-fi stories are judged
> and while the 1984 movie version by David Lynch wasn't a
> very good adaption, it was a great sci-fi flick.
>
> Thankfully we avoided the Jodorowsky adaption which would
> have been wild but would have had almost nothing to do with
> the book.
>
> And the SyFy Channel tv series followed the books fairly closely
> but didn’t have the budget to do it justice.
>
> This new movie will no doubt look cool because SFX technology
> has greatly advanced but I'm guessing it'll neither be a good
> adaption or a good sci-fi flick.

The writer-director has made some very good movies and no bad ones. The
only legitimate pessimism I can muster is that a TV-series seems
planned. Otoh, it's not as though the book was one-and-done...

Re: [NEWS] New "Dune" trailer (sci-fi)

<sdi49t$18el$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=5380&group=rec.arts.movies.current-films#5380

From: YourN...@YourISP.com (Your Name)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2021 10:30:21 +1200
 by: Your Name - Sat, 24 Jul 2021 22:30 UTC

On 2021-07-24 15:54:10 +0000, Ed Stasiak said:
> RichA
>>
>> "Dune" the story and the movie was just boring and stupid.
>
> "Dune" is the standard by which all sci-fi stories are judged
> and while the 1984 movie version by David Lynch wasn't a
> very good adaption, it was a great sci-fi flick.
> Thankfully we avoided the Jodorowsky adaption which would
> have been wild but would have had almost nothing to do with
> the book.
>
> And the SyFy Channel tv series followed the books fairly closely
> but didn’t have the budget to do it justice.
>
> This new movie will no doubt look cool because SFX technology
> has greatly advanced but I'm guessing it'll neither be a good
> adaption or a good sci-fi flick.

Yep, starting with two hours describing th CGI sand. :-p

Re: [NEWS] New "Dune" trailer (sci-fi)

<8a4d4b86-f188-481c-9445-4092425e8744n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=5383&group=rec.arts.movies.current-films#5383

Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2021 13:00:09 -0700 (PDT)
From: edstasia...@gmail.com (Ed Stasiak)
 by: Ed Stasiak - Sun, 25 Jul 2021 20:00 UTC

> pwal...@moviepig.com
> > Ed Stasiak
> >
> > This new movie will no doubt look cool because SFX technology
> > has greatly advanced but I'm guessing it'll neither be a good
> > adaption or a good sci-fi flick.
>
> The writer-director has made some very good movies and no bad ones.

I suppose, but the vibe I got from the trailer is that this is going to be
something of a love story between Muad'Dib and Chani in a sci-fi setting.

> The only legitimate pessimism I can muster is that a TV-series seems
> planned. Otoh, it's not as though the book was one-and-done...

What’s worse, is Frank Herbert's shitbag son is involved in the tv series,
which means his and Kevin J Anderson's retarded prequel/sequel novels
will be incorporated.

Re: [NEWS] New "Dune" trailer (sci-fi)

<87im0ukfr9.fsf@tigger.extechop.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=5397&group=rec.arts.movies.current-films#5397

From: om...@iki.fi (Otto J. Makela)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies.current-films
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2021 11:24:26 +0300
 by: Otto J. Makela - Wed, 28 Jul 2021 08:24 UTC

Ed Stasiak <edstasiak1067@gmail.com> wrote:

> Why are they wearing Stormtrooper armor when they
> have Holtzman shield technology?

I always assumed during operations on Arrakis they avoided shields
because of the effect they had on the sandworms (and the possibility
of the Fremen using lasguns).

Sardaukar were experts in covert operations (on Arrakis they fought in
Harkonnen livery), but could easily be recognized by their distinct
fighting style (like grouping in threes in close-quarter combat).

Slight internal conflict of descriptions there :-D

--
/* * * Otto J. Makela <om@iki.fi> * * * * * * * * * */
/* Phone: +358 40 765 5772, ICBM: N 60 10' E 24 55' */