From: lynnmcgu...@gmail.com (Lynn McGuire)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written,alt.fan.heinlein
Subject: Re: Movie review: Starship Troopers sequel plus Heinlein and religion
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2021 21:46:31 -0500
 by: Lynn McGuire - Wed, 21 Jul 2021 02:46 UTC

On 7/20/2021 7:29 PM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
> J. Clarke <jclarke.873638@gmail.com> writes:
>> On Tue, 20 Jul 2021 13:17:53 -0700 (PDT), Robert Carnegie
>> <rja.carnegie@excite.com> wrote:

>>> Correction for you here - IMDB says Jolene Blalock
>>> is playing Captain Lola Beck.
>>
>> With regard to Heinlein's attitude toward religion:
>> <https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/125769-history-does-not-record-anywhere-at-any-time-a-religion>
>>
>> ?"History does not record anywhere at any time a religion that has any
>> rational basis. Religion is a crutch for people not strong enough to
>> stand up to the unknown without help. But, like dandruff, most people
>> do have a religion and spend time and money on it and seem to derive
>> considerable pleasure from fiddling with it.?"
>
> And I believe Jubal Harshaw noted that any religion looks silly from the outside
> in SiaSL.

I would not state that a character in a book by Heinlein would promote
the personal beliefs of Heinlein.

Lynn

Re: Movie review: Starship Troopers sequel plus Heinlein and religion

<sd87jm$so6$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/arts/article-flat.php?id=538&group=alt.fan.heinlein#538

From: dtra...@sonic.net (Dimensional Traveler)
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written,alt.fan.heinlein
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2021 21:25:30 -0700
 by: Dimensional Traveler - Wed, 21 Jul 2021 04:25 UTC

On 7/20/2021 7:46 PM, Lynn McGuire wrote:
> On 7/20/2021 7:29 PM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
>> J. Clarke <jclarke.873638@gmail.com> writes:

>>> With regard to Heinlein's attitude toward religion:
>>> <https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/125769-history-does-not-record-anywhere-at-any-time-a-religion>
>>>

>>> ?"History does not record anywhere at any time a religion that has any
>>> rational basis. Religion is a crutch for people not strong enough to
>>> stand up to the unknown without help. But, like dandruff, most people
>>> do have a religion and spend time and money on it and seem to derive
>>> considerable pleasure from fiddling with it.?"
>>
>> And I believe Jubal Harshaw noted that any religion looks silly from
>> the outside
>> in SiaSL.
>
> I would not state that a character in a book by Heinlein would promote
> the personal beliefs of Heinlein.

True of almost all authors.

--
Troll, troll, troll your post gently down the thread
Angrily, angrily, angrily, the net's a nut's scream.